Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Are any of you eBay seller's striking next week? I'm not involved enough to have a voice but I'll be interested to see if the strike has any effect.

Link? I occasionally sell on ebay but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
[COLOR="Red]Penelope - I must admit your user name is freaking me out a little I don't know any other Penelopes IRL and seeing my name all over the board all of a sudden is such a strange feeling! Stick around so I can get used to it okay?
Did I ever tell you that Penolope is dd1's middle name as well as that of my grandmother, her grandmother, my mom's 1st cousin and her daughter. It's a very popular family name for us.

Happy Birthday Dr. Jen!!!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Wow, how'd I get so far behind so fast? :

:: Happy Birthday, DrJen! And Happy Birthday HBM's DD!! : :

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
tjsmom - oooh, I wonder where in the high rockies you are. The tri Im thinking of doing isnt too far from there...
I'm not *that* high, but Rocky Mountain High just sounds cooler than saying plain old Denver! What tri are you thinking about? I'm still trying to figure out my race schedule for this summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
I took a spin class from Darth Vader this morning. I wanted to QUIT! Oh! I wanted to quit so bad. It was so hard. But, I thought about you guys and I kept going. I was so happy when it was over.
WTG for finishing! Oh, I miss spin class...it's been almost two weeks. Someday, I shall spin again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
tjsmama--I thought of you today on the TM. I tried to mimic your track workout as best as I could remember it. It's nice to have different things to try to pass the time.

Keep your fingers crossed, dingos!!!! And keep sending the good vibes. Dh got three calls today for interviews!!!!!
Just a warning...I'm SORE today. Hamstrings! My hamstrings NEVER get sore! Guess I got a good workout in, huh? Lots of : for your DH!!!

No running for me today. I'm sore, still coughing a lot, and DS had a class this morning. I figure I'll recover today, ski tomorrow, race Saturday, and hopefully be well enough to get back into the full swing of training next week.

My best friend gave me a hard time this morning because I said I wasn't doing anything for/with DS for Valentine's Day. Sorry, I'm pretty bah humbug on the whole thing this year. Blork. He's too little to have any idea what day it is or isn't, and he doesn't like sweets or candy anyway. I give him lots and lots of hugs and kisses EVERY day. I'm sure I'll feel differently if I ever have a valentine of my own again, but bleh. I *did* order myself some Harry & David chocolate caramels from costco.com the other day and they arrived today. A better gift than pretty much any STBX ever gave me!

Lots of and : for all the sick mama dingos and dingokids!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 PM

eBay strike nak

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
2 friends asked if i still brew kombucha b/c they want some scoby. well, yes i do, but my "current" batch has been brewing since i dont even remember. i would swear i killed it. so i brewed a new batch today and just for curiousity, saved the old to taste, figuring it would be vinegar. where is the smilie with the tongue slurping the face? yum. seriously, how crazy that you can let something sit on your shelf for months with what looks like a big booger in it and it tastes so good
yummo. i want some of your scoby too

day was good. i had some free time in Burlington after my meeting and checked out the Sprout Natural Parenting store - holy moly! it's so cool, and right downtown on our big pedestrian mall street. Natural wooden toys, organic sheets and bedding, all kinds of slings and baby carriers and a whole wall of cloth diapers of all kinds from prefolds to wool AIOs to printed aios to pockets - enough to make me want another baby! the lady who owns it just placed a wholesale order with me and since my business doesn't seem to be going anywhere very fast - WTH, I'm stoked to be in there.

day 2 of drop the nap - K is in bed by 6:30. He actually put himself down in the car once we got home, but I drug him out and made him put on pjs and brush his teeth.

off to do some bike shop work!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 AM

sure is quiet.

must be some lucky valentiners.

:

:

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 AM

drjen's oldest isn't at northern illinois u., right?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM

oh no!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
drjen's oldest isn't at northern illinois u., right?
I don't think so. I think he goes to college in a different town than the one northern illinois u. is in.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 AM

ok, good. i know less than nothing about midwest geography, so i see a state and get concerned, you know?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
ok, good. i know less than nothing about midwest geography, so i see a state and get concerned, you know?
I don't either... so after my last post I went and checked the Christmas letter she sent out and he's at a different school.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Thank you for all your love and support ladies, it really means the world to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies, the OB's office called the day after the ultrasound, that was a little concerning to me (that they would call so quick). It might just mean that they are on the ball. The nurse said that the Dr. wants me to come in to discuss a D&C for the polyp. I go in on the 25th to talk to him. The sonographer told me that the cyst didn't look cancerous, but probably related to ovulation. Although, I'll be honest, that night my mind went to dark places. My mom went in for surgery to remove cysts on her ovaries, and they were huge and it was ovarian cancer. Then good 'ol dh said something like "you might need a hysterectomy". ugh. leave it to him to say something so supportive!

I told him that I was trying to think who I would want to come with me to surgery and was going through the names of who I was thinking of and why. He said "what about me?". I was honest and told him that I wanted someone who didn't cause me so much stress and I need someone who is and nurturing. I told him that just isn't him. I gave him an example of when I was in the ER and he left me there. Then when I came home he expected me to jump right back into "normal" and the next day didn't even ask me how I was doing but got right into "stress mode". Wish you Dingoes could be with me. I know you will be with me in prayer and spirit!!

Anyway, I am sooooooooo ready to be healthy. Month after month of more health issues. It's just piling up and just, sigh. I'm trying to stay positive. Life is good though, I have to thank God for my blessings. I have so much to be thankful for, so much. I'm very blessed.

RR: did a speed work out yesterday 4 miles total (last cool down mile got dropped when ds3 fell and got hurt) with 3 X 800 at 7 min/ miles with 400 jogs. It really made the time go by fast. Today is easy 4 miles. Awoke today with sore toe, as if my nail was ingrown, although it doesn't seem to be. Looking forward to a good, relaxing run. Ahhhhh.......

Love to you ladies!!

Lisa

EKS~ sorry I've been caught up in my health issues. I'm praying for you too, . You deserve to enjoy your pregnancy!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:04 PM

RM -

DrJen - :

Yall, I have to vent for just a second. My DH seriously is a He knows I love all holidays, that I always like something small/thoughtful for Valentines day, like a card - that is really difficult to accomplish, right? :

But what did he do for Valentine's? NOTHING! No card, no "Happy Valentines" NOTHING. I was so hurt. We are both a little sick, but I still cooked a nice dinner for us and for a friend that just had a masectomy (sp?), delivered the dinner to her house (45 minutes away), and had a card and candy for him. He works across the street from the campus bookstore, where there is a huge display of Valentines cards. How hard would that have been ??

It wouldn't be so bad, except in the past he has forgotten my birthday and also Valentine's day before, and I've told him how much it hurt me and how much it would mean to me if he would just make a gesture. Last night I told him how upset I was and he got mad and defensive.

end vent
Thank you for letting me express that here...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:04 PM

RM, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish we could have an entire swarm of dingos taking care of you. I'm glad you were honest with dh, though, and that you are making sure you will be taken care of. That's so important!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 PM

calicocj, our husbands must be twins! that is so not okay!!! i came downtstairs to a piece of printer paper with a quickly-scribbled valentine's message. i had zero expectations, after 10 years together, so i just rolled my eyes. fortunately, this conversation happened between my 7yo son & dh.

7yo: dad, what did you get mom for valentine's day?

dad:

7yo: we need to get her something. will you take me to the store?

ds came upstairs and said, "mom i need to get out of the house so i'm going to the store with dad for coffee (..or something)

when i came down later, there was a rose plant on the table. thank god for my son!

i thanked dh for letting ds teach him how to treat a woman. dh hung his head low. {sigh} after taking everyone out for coffee, i looked at dh and deadpanned: you're in charge of dinner and walked away. thankfully he pulled out all the stops complete with a first-ever successful wine-reduction sauce. finally, 10 years, we are getting somewhere. phew!

rm, i will be with you in spirit. :

Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

I didn't get anything for Valentine's Day. In fact, I had the worst Valentine's Day ever. Hopefully today is better... it can only go up.

RM ~

Loftmama ~ I'm so glad you have your son. What a sweetheart!

Penelope (and Plady too )

I think my soreness from yoga is finally going away. I'm going to the gym today to walk on the treadmill and do some light lifting. I'm also going to get on the mat for a little while.. I gotta practice up on my headstand.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM

RM - mama, you know we're always with you in spirit right? While you're at the hospital you can make yourself smile just by imagining all of us (what are there now, 30+ dingos?) all elbowing into the room, being there with you each in our own quirky ways. And good for you for being straight with your dh. Maybe he'll hear you IYKWIM. Sending lots and lots of : and

Callie, Lofty, JenLove .... I think there is something as yet unstudied, a disorder that men get but which doesn't get enough attention. It's called Valentine's Day Resistance Syndrome. VDRS presents as inattentive aloofness and does the most damage to the innocent partner of the infected male. I'm not sure what tactic we, the unwitting victims, can take to most effectively combat this syndrome after the damage has been inflicted but I hereby propose that we formulate a plan to take strong proactive measures against the Syndrome for the future. Our marriages and our sons need us to be strong.

RR (kind of): Pumped up the weights on my chest presses again today, inspired by CherylAnn's song Defying Gravity (so apropos!). After that I pretty much bonked to some extent or another on the rest of my muscle groups, but I finished as strong as I could.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:57 PM

sorry about the v-day blahs. mine was made better by the whole Jane Fonda debacle! dh and I are going out for dinner tonight, but that's mostly bc we have a babysitter lined up and a gift certificate.

y'all, I finally got a nice bra! It was, for me, terribly expensive, but I sucked it up and bought one very nice one instead of three okay ones and am going to try to find the same one online. and yes, you all are right, the nice ones fit about a hundred times better than the cheapos. : I learned my lesson, and now ds can nurse til he's 12 and I will have one nice bra that fits.

rm that must have been really hard, but you have to take care of YOU. I do wish that the dingoes could swoop in and help.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM

lofty - :

what a funny story! Maybe there is hope for DH when DD is big enough to scold him

jenlove - :

plady - I think you must be on to something... actually if I presented this to DH in a scientific context (he is very much the "absentminded professor" type) he'd actually respond better

MB - yay for new bra! what was the Jane Fonda thing?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Just checking in to say "hi" to my dingo sisters! No rr for me today--it's an official rest day in my training schedule. Woot! for that because it's only the first week and I'm already wanting a break.

rm~We will be with you in spirit! I hope you find the support you need.

for those of you who had crappy Valentine's Days.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM

see - all these stories are exactly why I laid down the 'no valentines day' rule. i was tired of years of getting my hopes up, and then getting nothing. my best valentines day ever - i got a sandwhich. it's easier just to pretend it doesn't exist and then there's no reason to be disappointed.

no exercise planned for today except some cleaning and laundry folding. weigh in today was good, down a couple more pounds.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 PM

aw all you ladies deserve some flowers for sure :

dh usually does a little something but i don't really care that much because i usually don't have my act together either! yesterday though he completely had the day wrong, thinking he had an extra day and that v-day was today. so, since i hadn't gotten him anything, i nipped it in the bud and said 'don't get me anything, really!' so that i wouldn't feel bad if he did and i didn't

RM - i like plady's visual of all of us dingos scrunched into your room at the same time, making sure you're well taken care of. i can be the one who gives the stink-eye :to the medical staff if they aren't nurturing enough

i am due for a 4 mile run tomorrow morning - hoping it feels a little easier to me than last week so i can move on to higher number soon

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
:Penelope - I must admit your user name is freaking me out a little I don't know any other Penelopes IRL and seeing my name all over the board all of a sudden is such a strange feeling! Stick around so I can get used to it okay?

Happy Valentine's Day Y'all!

If it helps, it's not my real name. : I just have immense respect for the wife of Odyssus.

Thanks for all the 5K advice, everybody! I'm getting excited. I was thinking maybe I should find one that's the weekend after I turn my dissertation in to my committee, and think of it as a celebration of being done with the thing.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
He works across the street from the campus bookstore, where there is a huge display of Valentines cards. How hard would that have been ??
Mine went to Target to run an errand after I got home from work last night and still couldn't pick up a card. Then he reminded me that although he didn't get me any kind of gift or card for Valentine's Day (and he knew I'd gotten him something nice) he'd gotten me a nice anniversary present.

I don't actually care, which I made clear in a totally nice way, but how is that supposed to make me feel better?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks for all the commiserating yall.... I guess I wouldn't feel so bad if he actually remembered any event or celebration or if he didn't know that I was a sentimental fool

but he's totally trying to make up for it today by being all nice

Penelope, that sounds like a good plan for the 5k - I felt like I was walking on air after I turned in my diss, so that seems like a good time to do a race

poppy - your story reminds me of the episode from friends where Chandler gave Monica the mixed tape but it was just a regift from his exgirlfriend...

anyone, anyone??

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Hey y'all, does anybody know what to do about a fever in the third trimester? Right now it's about 100.2 but I am concerned it will go higher as the evening progresses. At what point do I take some Tylenol? : :

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM

Eks - I don't know, but I am so sorry!!!

Only thing I can think of is a tepid bath to try to bring it down...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

eksmom - I don't worry as much in the 3rd tri as the first from a baby point of view. Take some tylenol if you need it for your comfort with the fever, otherwise treat as you normally would. A warm, not hot bath might make you feel better, drink lots of fluids, etc.

Happy Belated birthday to HBM's dd!! What a great birthday she has!

Thanks you guys for all the birthday wishes. I turned 37 yesterday - so I get a whole year of being a prime number! (I really like prime numbers.) I wasn't supposed to get a b-day present from dh as my treadmill was supposed to be Christmas and b-day, but he cheated and got me a present anyway, and tried to say it was a Valentine's day present. Since we don't usually do much V-day celebrating, it clearly is a b-day present. Anyway, it's a cool gift! He got me a new mp3 player, a little one that also plays video and pictures, and he loaded all our vacation pictures on it before wrapping it, and a few of my favorite songs. There was also a nice episode of cross-training involved, and overall I was quite pleased with our Valentine's celebration. But actually, it wasn't yesterday, but a couple days before.
We're not big on the Hallmark holidays at our house, but my dh is very sentimental in other ways, so I don't miss that I usually don't get a valentine card or anything.

Today, my oldest dd turned 13. Another teenager - although we'll be done with one in Aug when ds turns 20. I have to get my act together and get her cake made.

Missed 2 days of running and I'm going to run tonight on my off day to make up for it, I hope. After the beautiful birth Tues morning, I had a long, drawn out frustrating for all involved birth on Wed afternoon (28 hours of labor, 4 hours of pushing, a failed vacuum, and a cesarean.) Felt so bad that mama went through all that - if I had a crystal ball I'd never let anybody have that kind of experience. On the plus side, as her very wise labor nurse told her, she tried everything that we knew to do with her to try and get this baby out, and she and the baby held up through this whole long process very well.

Went to the zoo today with Balancin1 and her dd and had a nice day despite the 16F weather. We watched the dolphin show with about 15 other brave souls and it was fun to be such a small audience.

Okay, off to try and make some cake!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 PM

drjen, you are amazing! i can't believe you're only 37!!!! you accomplish so much and now you're making a cake. glad you got a sweet dh. i'm also glad you're here for questions like eksmom 3rd trimester fever.

eksmom, :

our itty bitty town is hopping this weekend with city folks coming up for skiing. our grocery store parking lot was full! i had planned to skip out tomorrow to visit some long-ago friends skiing in a neighboring town, but dh reminded me of how much this town has at stake right now with the ski lift, etc. so he's volunteering all weekend long in the frigid cold parking lot while the boys and i will ski. it's looking to be a good turnout. plus i can still meet my friends for dinner. i'm so excited. FRIENDS!!!

dh & i are creeping along with our relationship, baby steps. 2 forward and 1 back but good. we actually came up with a few things we are on the same page about, which just feels miraculous these days and something worth celebrating.

speaking of celebrating, did anyone else see that very interesting article in the nytimes about "reinventing datenight?" muy interesante.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Go Go Go Tjsmama!!!!! :

User Tag List