Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, mb, i know what you mean. i missed that part. ds2's nursing has tapered off so slowly that my size right now isn't far enough from my no-nursing size.

i found this post from an old thread about strengthening knees/legs for running. (did someone ask this? or was it a specific weight-lifting program? i'll look for that,too.)

Quote:
According to my coach, runners frequently have knee injuries b/c they don't work out their quads enough. Our hamstrings tend to be stronger. When lifting weights, he emphasizes a 4:3 ration of quad strength to hamstring strength.

For knees:
If you can find a bench that is about a foot off the ground (depending on your height) try this jumping/switching exercise after warming up and in between 400meter repeats. Place one foot on the bench so that most of the foot is actually on the bench. I think your thigh should be parallel to the ground. Then very quickly jump up, switching legs, while pumping your arms. When I started training 3 months ago, I could barely do one of these and I was super wobbly. Now I can do 10 total. You really feel it in your legs the next day. There's a variation in which we jump up on one leg while bringing the other knee up high in front of us and swinging our arms in large arcs overhead. These are both very difficult at first but really do a lot to strengthen the areas around your knees.

Hip problems? In addition to stretching, you might want to try doing a few "high knee" and "butt kick" drills after you warm up and prior to your run to really open the hip flexor and lower back.

(nak)

Running w/a differently-paced partner: one precaution. when i ran continuosly w/a slower partner, i took strides that were too short. this can also lead to injury if you do it repetitively. it's best to mix it up so you get in some good hard runs at your own pace.
hth

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 PM

welcome HollysSister!

reporting that i did indeed manage 3 miles on the treadmill this afternoon. it sucked. i wanted to quit. but i had promised you guys three whole miles, and that's what you got. to break it up i did some 8:30 1/4 miles in between my 10:00 regular pace and the walking that i needed to get my breath back after those fast paced sections. oh - and i stretched.

sucks about that hit & run - be safe out there guys. always run facing traffic please so you see who is coming and jump out of the way if you need to.
#123 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
be safe out there guys. always run facing traffic please so you see who is coming and jump out of the way if you need to.
actually, this isn't always the best advice. on a blind curve with no shoulder, it's better to switch sides and run with traffic.
#124 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
dd is giving me FITS. must go do something...not sure what...google "horrible 5 year olds?"
I might have to try that just to see what you get.

---

Another thing that makes the hit-and-run thing so hard is this street is flat and straight. Probably one of the only one of its kind in this area. People do park their cars on the side so maybe he was weaving in and out, or just further out into the road than someone expected? But - it's a cut-through street and people FLY through there. They had already planned to implement traffic calming measures this spring.

I keep thinking of all these scenarios... someone out drunk at 5 AM on a Monday? Doesn't seem too likely. There are a lot of elderly people in our area - so maybe they honestly didn't realize they'd hit a person, although they should know by now. If it was an innocent driving mistake, OK, but wouldn't you feel sooo much worse trying to hide that secret? And then I just think that if I'm going over all this stuff in my mind, what must it be like for his wife and DDs?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#125 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
someone out drunk at 5 AM on a Monday? Doesn't seem too likely.
Certainly could be likely the Monday after the Superbowl. It is just so sad. I was very aware of running with the stroller today-realizing how close it is to the road in front of me. I guess I need to go to the Greenway more often.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#126 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM

The runner was killed last Monday - not today. Sorry, I might not have been very clear.

#127 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM

the good news is that i'm one notch in on my belt.
#128 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM

so scary! I have had a few very close calls around here, most involving drivers on cell phones or just not paying attention to ANY kind of pedestrian. HBM knows that I am an offensive runner and will yell and stuff at people who don't look. I feel mostly safe on the sidewalk, but crossing the streets......yikes. well, the trail is always an option, for sure. tomorrow?????
#129 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ug, eksmom, I hope they find the person responsible.

Lofty, whose quote was that about knees? I'm struggling with me knees and ankles (ankles mostly) running on the treadmill. It's like it's changing my gait or something? My max distance seems to be about 3 miles on that thing before I give out. I'm fine for much longer distances on the road.
#130 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
someone out drunk at 5 AM on a Monday? Doesn't seem too likely.
The day after the superbowl though?
Whatever the case I just cannot imagine how awful it must be for that family! It just gives me chills.

HollyslittleSister!!!!! (not for you littlest one! for your mama!) you have : to : :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#131 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ug, eksmom, I hope they find the person responsible.

Lofty, whose quote was that about knees? I'm struggling with me knees and ankles (ankles mostly) running on the treadmill. It's like it's changing my gait or something? My max distance seems to be about 3 miles on that thing before I give out. I'm fine for much longer distances on the road.
Wendy, do you run w/the tm at an incline? I have found that running w/it between 1.0 and 1.5 really helps my knees.

yeah, I yell at cars who are dangerous. In this college town it is often cell phone related.
#132 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM

my HUGE gripe is with people waiting to turn right onto another street who only look to their left. i wait, obviously, and they are always so startled when they see me standing there. i doubt they change their driving though what's worse is that there are a fair number of pedestrians here.
#133 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
The runner was killed last Monday - not today. Sorry, I might not have been very clear.
oops, missed that detail.

Mandy - I have had some very close calls here. Not at night or anything but just because people NEVER FREAKING LOOK BEFORE THEY WALK INTO THE STREET HERE!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm ready to go!:

#134 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Wow, the dingoes are chatty today! 2 pages since I went to the Y this morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
I think I'm finally healthy enough to run again. It has been 2 weeks, and I feel sluggish. I think I will have to take it slow. I'm going to aim for a 3 mile walk/jog today and see how it goes.

My mystery pian has gone away. It has been gone for several days now. That sure had me stressed out. I feel sooooo much better now. Thanks for all of the positive thoughts and vibes. to everyone

My oldest dd is turning 10 on Wednesday!! I can't even believe I have a 10 year old.....where did the time go?
SO happy you're feeling better finally, po7! And a very : to your DD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniebonnie View Post
i feel pidly, but
i ran .6 miles this morning. with the dog, through the snow. it was freezing. it was short. but it was a start!
call me a dingo, im getting on the waggon.
Welcome, and WTG, conniebonnie! Just remember...that .6 miles is .6 miles more than you WERE doing and .6 miles more than a very large percentage of the rest of the world is doing! It's a great start, just keep building on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Just wanted to let you all know we had our third baby girl yesterday (February 3) at 3:28am. She weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. She doesn't have a name yet, but she is beautiful and healthy!

I'll post more later

you guys!
: Welcome, hollyslittlesister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
I need to whine a bit.....feel free to skip over as this is totally stupid.....but I cannot find a bra to fit! ds nurses maybe once a day, very occasionally twice, but I still feel like I need to wait until he is done to get a good fitting and all that. My bra is FRAYED at the edges (cheapo Target bra) and baggy. argh. argh. any ideas of nice cotton bras (I'm not a silky girl) for 34DDD or something would be appreciated. /whine
MB, I had the same problem last fall. DS's decrease in nursing combined with my weight loss meant that my bras were not fitting AT. ALL. I hated to go spend money since I figured the good ol' boobs would probably shrink some more when DS totally finished nursing, but it was SO worth it. I went to Nordstrom and got properly fitted for the first time in my life (after getting put in the wrong size bra at VS a month earlier . I bought two bras for $70 each (ouch) but I don't regret it. It is truly amazing what a difference a well-fitting bra can make, not only in how you look, but also how you feel. I feel so much more confident now that I know my post-pregnancy and nursing saggy boobs don't LOOK like they're post-pregnancy and nursing and saggy!

Quote:
I think it's the hit-and-run aspect that's weighing on my mind more than anything. I keep trying to put myself in that person's shoes and understand how it could have happened, how they could have driven off without stopping, how they could not turn themselves in once it was all over the news, etc. etc. Anyway, this morning they did a police checkpoint on that street from 5-6 AM and apparently there's a vehicle of interest they are looking for.
Scary. Really, really scary. That's one reason that I've been going to the Y instead of running outside. Most of the neighborhoods around us are a little older and don't have sidewalks, so you have to run in the street, and I just refuse to push DS in the street any more than I absolutely have to. It's one thing if it's just me. I run facing traffic so I could jump out of the way if necessary, but I wouldn't be able to push DS out of the way. I also am absolutely terrified of pulling him in the bike trailer on the street. Even as enclosed as he is and wearing a helmet, it scares me way too much, so I stick to bike trails. Stay safe, everyone!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#135 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Serial posting since the first one got so long with responding to everyone...

RR: spin class at the Y, followed by weights. No abs today, though, I ran out of nursery time. My knee has been flaring up in spin class and it's really irritating me. I know exactly what it is (patellofemoral pain) and what I need to do to fix it (quad strengthening), but it's a classic example of an athletic trainer not following their own advice. Must. Do. Exercises. Regularly.

I think DS is done nursing. He's had a cold and been really congested for the last week or so and it's been hard for him to nurse. He gets frustrated and gives up after just a couple of minutes. The past two or three days, I can't even get him to try. In fact, he starts crying if I even attempt to get him to latch. It's funny, I thought I was totally ready, but it's really bittersweet. I am ready to have that little bit of freedom (although he was only nursing twice a day and was perfectly ok to skip when STBX has him overnight), but I kind of feel like he doesn't need me anymore. I know he does, but that's one thing that only I could do. I know I should be happy that we got this far, especially since I went in with the attitude of just hoping to make it to 6 months, and then to a year. It just is a little disappointing that we made it THIS far, but couldn't get to 2, kwim? :

Must go shower, back later this evening!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#136 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post
Wendy, do you run w/the tm at an incline? I have found that running w/it between 1.0 and 1.5 really helps my knees.
I vary between .5 and 1.0 incline. I haven't paid attention if its worse at 0.5, though. I'll try 1 tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
my HUGE gripe is with people waiting to turn right onto another street who only look to their left. i wait, obviously, and they are always so startled when they see me standing there. i doubt they change their driving though what's worse is that there are a fair number of pedestrians here.
Or back out of their driveway, not slowing down to check until they're in the gutter. I tend to stop RIGHT by the car to give them a bit of a startle. I love the absent minded wave of "thanks" from the driver. Missed the point entirely, lady.
#137 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM

: I don't want to go into details yet but we need some good vibes here. We got some really bad news today. I'm trying my best to stay positive.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#138 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
: I don't want to go into details yet but we need some good vibes here. We got some really bad news today. I'm trying my best to stay positive.
#139 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
and :

#140 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 PM

towson~ and lots of :.

#141 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 PM

towsonmama,

mandy, down a notch on the belt? i don't think i'm brave enough to try on my belt.

geo, that was the workout gilbert tuhabonye gave us, my coach from burundi and olympic hopeful. i think i have a very detailed gym workout with weights, too. just haven't found it yet.

re: drivers/runners cell phone driving has almost gotten me hit a time or two, also. dh was hit while training for a triathlon, on his bicycle, with a group in the wee early morning hours. he hit several bikers, bam bam bam and kept on going! they never found out who did it. kinda makes me a little freaked out to bike with cars.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#142 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM

Towsonmama, , sending many good thoughts in your direction!
#143 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 PM

towsonmama
#144 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM

towsonmama Thinking about you tonight.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#145 of 938 Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 PM

towsonmama -

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#146 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 AM

Wow -- this day has left much to ponder in Dingo Land. I am by turns elated, saddened, and concerned.

HollysMom -- my best to you and your new sweet girl. Can't wait to hear her name and story.

Towson -- I pray for strength and peace for the trial you are facing. We are all here to love and support you.

Re: runner being killed... Just don't even know where to start with that one. I worry about it more on my bike than running, but I think people tend to get more douche-baggish with cyclists than runners (harder to pass?). One of my best friends -- a Seattle bike commuter type -- was hit this year. Her husband was right behind her and thought she was a goner. Physically, the damage could definitely have been worse, but emotionally has been the really bad part for their mutual recovery. Bikes are their livelihood and recreation. Anyway. Blork.

MB, run, don't walk, don't pass go, don't collect $200 -- just go to Nordstrom and get you a good bra that fits. I have the LaChantelle bra and I swear by it. You will pay for it, but like Gaye said (in another "I think we were separated at birth" moment for me), you won't regret it. And if you only want to pay Nordie's prices once, or not at all, get the fitting, try on all the bras, then leave and go get it on eBay for half the price (as in the case of my second Anita nursing bra, which RAWKS). Like Lofty said, you will instantly looks 20+ pounds thinner and all your shirts will fit again! And that's worth $60 in my book. i have not for a second regretted my bra investments last year because they saved my wardrobe from extinction.

I kinda bit it on another test today and am feeling discouraged and glum. But I did not fail, as a friend did, so I should count my blessings. I have always held myself to very high academic standards. Wasn't ever the prettiest girl, yk? But I could damn well be the smartest. Not so much anymore.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#147 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 AM

to you towson, and : too.

Megs, hang in there with school. What you're doing is pretty amazing (that goes for all of you mamas in school). I took a computer networking class at community college shortly after DH and I were married (before DD), and it was a piece of cake class, but it was still hard to work FT and take one stinking class. To be a wife, mom, and take a full load is hard work.

Yeah, I've always been much, much more scared of being hit on a bike than when running. In fact I would have given up cycling for this pregnancy, complications or not, simply because of that fear. If I ever got hit I don't know if I could get back on the road.

Gaye, - the end of nursing is definitely bittersweet.

#148 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 AM

megs....i'm having a downer day here in phd land. Loads of crummy stuff happened today, culminating with an inadvertent run-in with my advisor. (she thought I was being snippy/forcing her hand and I wasn't. I'm glad she confronted me but still it makes for a :climate for a few days, KWIM?)

On the test thing: you could very well be the smartest, but the test is different than you've encountered before. You can rock this program, just get in a groove and move with it. Or maybe you can drop out and join the dingo commune. I hear plady's gonna have land

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#149 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Gaye, - the end of nursing is definitely bittersweet.
ditto that! But please don't forget that only Mom can offer Mom snuggles. And don't forget to offer them!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#150 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 AM

towsonmama - sending all my thougths, prayers, and good vibes your way mama

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page