Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
one of my favorite quotes concerning the election this year came from Dian Von Furstenburg, the designer. someone had asked her of her opinion of Hillary, hoping to get some sort of reaction on Hillary's fashion sense. What she said was simply this, "I'm from Europe. We have had many women presidents there." bam. with that simple statement she said two important things, 1 - it doesn't matter what they wear and 2 - the US is so far behind the rest of the world in supporting a female leader.
I love this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ladies, I went hunting through an old thread for something, and I came across this signature::
Did the quote not take in my reprint?: dd #2, Iris, born 1.3.08

OMG, Geo and all, I have been intending to write for a few months now. I skim the thread now and then, and here I was ready to finally post (trying to read this whole thread before I did - ha!) and saw this.

nak...

ill try to make this short, as its really not;

after the m/c in 2006 - cant believe its been that long - i developed an ailment which turned into a chronic condition, involving pain - it hurt to exercise, hurt all day... i was derailed emotionally, utterly. it was the darkest time of my life, dark dark dark. i scoured everything and tried most things to find a solution - i couldnt believe that my body had come undone apparently from stress! conventional med. said medication, and possible surgery. i dont even like to take ibu. after several months i found a theory and protocal - too involved to explain while nak - that i thought could work, only it would take a year to see results, and was very challenging. so i started in jan. '07. there was a possible link, i had surmised, btwn my fertlity/menstrual history and the theory/protocal. i wondered if it might have an effect on this too, but was skeptical; after 20 years of few periods and no ovulation/birth control... 3wks after starting the protocal i menstruated. 4 mos later i ovulated. i thought i might be fertile - signs indicated - had sex once - tmi - and here she is.

my condition is much much better. im still doing the protocal, though harder to do with a baby. have been exercising and hope to do a race or tri this spring - am starting to train - pelvic floor is still saying noooooo to running - lol - but i may go for my first tomorrow.

in other news, dh finishes residency in june, and since, as he jokingly puts it, would like tp put off working less and making more money, we are moving to DE in june for a year for fellowship. im hoping to do some east coast races we'll be in wilmington, outside of philly.

i will try to catch up here or at least keep up now.

happy to 'see' you all!!!!!

jess - aka saskiasmom

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#183 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Jess, it is so good to see you! Thanks for giving us the update and congratulations on Iris! I hope your upcoming move goes smoothly and that you enjoy Wilmington.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#184 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Lofty-My heart is out to you.

JayGee WOW!
#185 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM

So an update on the runner that was killed here... the story has taken a strange twist and it's looking like it could have been more than an accident. They haven't made an arrest yet, but all the dots appear to be connected.

Some really creepy looking dude from a neighboring county is apparently the guy who did it. Police made contact w/ him at a nearby convenience store at 3:00 that morning (for what, I don't know). His jeep was abandoned and towed the next day. Then, the next day (Wed. of last week) he was arrested in his county for hitting a woman with a car in a grocery store parking lot and then beating her with a stick (WTH?). The police have tracked down the jeep and it has recent front end damage. Apparently it also has marks on it that are the same orange color of the safety vest that the runner was wearing. There's bound to be a lot more that will come out, but this is what they're releasing so far.

ETA: I just started reading the search warrant and it sounds like the guy may have stalked the runner for a few days' prior, and there may have been some "altercation" between runner and driver. Holy moly.

#186 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM

thanks for the love, guys. i do appreciate it very much. i'm not abandoning or jumping ship or anything just working really, really hard at staying sane. i feel your love. thanks. aquacates, i think we could have a looooong conversation.

okay, so

eksmom, that's just awful!

saskiasmom, good to *see* you!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#187 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
HEY! I got my dancing baby back! He is a boogie woogie master y'all. If you tell me how to post dancing I will show you some serious boogying, one year old style!
do you have a video cam or the ability to take a movie with your digital camera? You Tube! I was wondering when you might notice the boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Afterwards I took both girls to get their bangs trimmed and then to the craft store for "fun stuff". They are both happily stickering away (3 yo on paper, 1 yo all over her body !)
Oh my gosh. My kids LOVE spending 2 bucks on stickers and then going nuts!

Quote:
I know you are all going to think I'm crazy for this, but for Lent this year, I'm giving up message boards. So as of tomorrow (Ash Wednesday), I'll be MIA until Easter.
We will miss you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I got slightly flamed for confessing this to my local AP group, but I am equally pleased with both of the Dem candidates and would be equally happy with either as a nominee, so I actually sort of decided based on gender because I am so excited about the chance to vote for a woman and the ability to tell my DD (in the future) that I voted for a woman!
This is something I've considered. We vote this evening and I'm still undecided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post
Dana, yep, winter rural lonliness is a real and palpable thing that is not lessened by having your dh around all the time. After 6 years of it, I realized a few things: I need people. I need adult interaction on a regular basis with someone other than dh.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
So an update on the runner that was killed here... the story has taken a strange twist and it's looking like it could have been more than an accident. They haven't made an arrest yet, but all the dots appear to be connected. Some really creepy looking dude from a neighboring county is apparently the guy who did it.
That whole thing is really scary. Scary in a way that rivals the DC shootings a few years back.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#188 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM

wow. ew. around here we're also in the middle of a grisly incident involving some hikers. very, very, weird and scary.

jaygee, in my professional opinion it is a great thing to give up. : I think I did it, once upon a time, pre-MDC. I think for Lent I am going to add things this year (except I'm giving up meat again and am going to try to do one day a week vegan) like structured prayer and yoga. And church on Wednesdays!

I did the hardest yoga I've ever done...Dave Farmar (free podcast!) power yoga. OH. MY. ACHING. QUADS. but I want more...... :
#189 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
That whole thing is really scary. Scary in a way that rivals the DC shootings a few years back.
: It freaks me out that the driver was hanging around my parents' neighborhood for however many days. Different time (i.e. 3 years ago when we had just moved back here and were living w/ my parents) that was me out running in the dark. Heck, I have gone to the high school track (also in same neighborhood) in the dark lots of times in the last couple years. It does bring to mind the importance of varying your route... which is something I am HORRIBLE about. I find a lot of enjoyment in running the same routes over and over - but maybe I will think twice when I get back to running.

The runner was a lawyer, but mostly medical malpractice I think, so I'm not sure there would be a connection there. Sounds like partly this guy just has an affinity for using a vehicle as a weapon.

#190 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Hi Saskiasmom! Congrats on the new baby, would love to hear more about how you're healing your body some time when you have time to share (and only if you want to).

Just posting to report a vigorous swim this afternoon and i'm positively glowing afterwards. I am definitely doing that xterra this summer.
#191 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Jess-Congratulations!!! It sounds like you've had quite a time and I'm so glad things are looking up for you and your family.

Eksmom-Wow, that is really creepy. Ugh. What kind of person does something like that? How's your mom doing? And your aunt? And your other aunt?

After I voted, there was a man outside asking people who they voted for and if they'd had any difficulty. I very loudly and very proudly said, "Hillary Clinton" and heard the collective gasp from the very Red crowd. OK, so I just imaged the gasp, but it felt so good to say a woman's name!

We are just back from the orthodontist for M (almost 6). She is heavy-duty thumb sucker and is already doing some damage to her teeth. Plus her hands and face stink all the time. She seriously sucks her thumb about 20 hours a day. We decided that it is time to stop (she wants to as well, getting embarassed and doesn't even realize that she's doing it). They have a gentle appliance that prevents her from sucking by putting a small metal bar across the top of her mouth. It doesn't hurt or anything, just prevents the sucking motion. So, we are doing it. I never thought I'd have to take a 5 year old to an orthodontist, but I really do believe it's in her (and our bank account's) best interest. Still, I'm feeling...something, not sure what about it.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#192 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh Jess, your story is amazing. I hope you don't feel stalked. : I was just looking for something else and I spotted your signature.

Amazing. I'd love to hear about it if you have the chance or feel comfortable with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
We are just back from the orthodontist for M (almost 6). She is heavy-duty thumb sucker and is already doing some damage to her teeth. Plus her hands and face stink all the time. She seriously sucks her thumb about 20 hours a day. We decided that it is time to stop (she wants to as well, getting embarassed and doesn't even realize that she's doing it). They have a gentle appliance that prevents her from sucking by putting a small metal bar across the top of her mouth. It doesn't hurt or anything, just prevents the sucking motion. So, we are doing it. I never thought I'd have to take a 5 year old to an orthodontist, but I really do believe it's in her (and our bank account's) best interest. Still, I'm feeling...something, not sure what about it.
Paige. I have comments. I think we're about done with Karen sucking on her clothes. The solution was almost painless for us... If I don't get back to this tonight, nag me.
#193 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Paige. I have comments. I think we're about done with Karen sucking on her clothes. The solution was almost painless for us... If I don't get back to this tonight, nag me.
consider yourself nagged. I've been sucking my own thumb for about 33 years and...well, when do you get fingers? Obviously now not in public, but I can't tell you the number of times I've been reading something in my office and find myself, er, well....:

Hey and everyone hold me accountable ok? Leah and I were headed out skiing this morning at the nature center trails and she saw other kids going in for the little preschool dealie they do there. She was so cute and said, "Want to go with the kids." So...no ski this morning and now I have to force myself to go from 6-7. urgh. that's a super tough time for me.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#194 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Just dropping in to report a little 3 mile run today. I decided to do some hill work so I headed over to a really steep hill around here that I usually avoid like the plague. I did 5 repeats on it. I think I'll go out next week for the same route and try to beat my times this week. I can't remember the last time I was this sweaty after a run. Gross.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#195 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Man..I've been missing y'all here. I had to take some time to catch up!

I'm trying to get my house sold. Sick of it! I'm putting some furniture back into it and decorating the bookshelves etc. Trying to get people to linger awhile. I'm going to go out there several times a week and keep it smelling good and sweep leaves off the back porch. Also it backs up to a creek and some dumbbutts have been putting their trash in it right behind our house!!!

Jaygee..giving up message boards! See you in 6 weeks!

Eks..so glad your feeling better!

Hollysmom...Congratulaions!!!!

Megs...you are doing alot! Keep up your courage!

Loftmama..HUGS!

I have to say a few months ago I finally found a post kids bra and got fitted and all. It was $40 from Vic Secret...I don't need to look 20lbs smaller...just the opposit! It worked! But, now that I haven't been eating sugar I've lost weight..right there of course and the bras are fitting a little big. I hope I can find a way to adjust them.

towsonmama...HUGS. We've been there and it was hard.

Gosh..I can't stand cell phones and car drivers. It's as bad as drink driving.

I'm still working out and running. I started running a bit more last week for some reason.

Well..off to eat pancakes!
#196 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I know you are all going to think I'm crazy for this, but for Lent this year, I'm giving up message boards. So as of tomorrow (Ash Wednesday), I'll be MIA until Easter. I will still check my e-mail of course. When I was thinking of something to give up that would be difficult, and "of the world", message boards was the first thing that hit me. At least my house will be really, really clean!
Maybe a little crazy. J/K! There's no way I could do that. Of course, I have very little life these days besides online. Who else would I talk to when DS is sleeping, but all of you? We'll miss you, JayGee!!! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
It seems like this time of year is when we really need the dingo cafe/commune. I've been bummed lately about feeling trapped, but not settled, here in AZ and not having any close friends here IRL and missing my family...
I can totally understand that. I didn't really have any close friends until after DS was born and I bonded with a group of women that I met in a hiking group for moms with babies. If I didn't have them, I don't know what I would do. I know AZ and CO aren't nearly as close together as they seem, but if you ever want to meet in the middle, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
wow. ew. around here we're also in the middle of a grisly incident involving some hikers. very, very, weird and scary.
mb, are you talking about the girl and possibly older couple who were murdered? She was from CO and it was all over the news here. Super scary, especially since I've been known to (very) occasionally hike by myself with DS. I tend to stick to fairly well-travelled trails, but still...

Quote:
Just posting to report a vigorous swim this afternoon and i'm positively glowing afterwards. I am definitely doing that xterra this summer.
So cool, Mandy! I have a friend who's doing xterra this summer. I can't mountain bike to save my life, so I don't think I'll ever be doing that!

Lots of for lofty and towsonmama. I did my run for both of you this morning. It really helped me push myself a little harder than I probably would have normally! Lofty, I know our situations are probably very different, but I'm here for you if you ever need to talk to a recently single mama. And towson, I know good things are ahead for you and your DH. This may very well be the ticket to finding a better, more family-friendly job!

rr~3.5 miles on the tm at the Y (after I realized I left my shoes at home and had to go back and get them ). It felt pretty good, I progressively went faster, finishing with the last quarter mile under 9 min pace! Plus a quick ab workout after.

I'm an independent, so I don't get to vote today. Not sure why I'm an independent, since I almost always vote for the democrats. Guess I just like to keep my options open. : But a big for all of you who are voting! I used to get so irritated with STBX because he only votes in presidential elections. Of course, his vote and mine tend to cancel each other out, so I guess that's kind of good.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#197 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Hi Saskiasmom! Congrats on the new baby, would love to hear more about how you're healing your body some time when you have time to share (and only if you want to).

I will eventually because I think its pretty amazing.

But more importantly, a big part of why Im here again is that I want to do an xterra tri in June!! I would love tho have someone to compare notes with! is yours olympic length too? Mine is a lake swim and trail run and trail ride. Yours? (are all xterras )

One more thing - Hillary bothers me for many reasons. I see many of you support her, I wish we could sit down and talk, because Im genuinely interested in why....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#198 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post

But more importantly, a big part of why Im here again is that I want to do an xterra tri in June!! I would love tho have someone to compare notes with! is yours olympic length too? Mine is a lake swim and trail run and trail ride. Yours? (are all xterras )

One more thing - Hillary bothers me for many reasons. I see many of you support her, I wish we could sit down and talk, because Im genuinely interested in why....
Hi saskiasmom . I'm really interested in your story too. I'm also "considering" an xterra this summer, but that would require dragging my MTB out of storage and getting out on the trails. I do have an olympic distance tri planned for August though.

And honestly, I'm with you on Hillary :.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#199 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I know you are all going to think I'm crazy for this, but for Lent this year, I'm giving up message boards. So as of tomorrow (Ash Wednesday), I'll be MIA until Easter. I will still check my e-mail of course. When I was thinking of something to give up that would be difficult, and "of the world", message boards was the first thing that hit me. At least my house will be really, really clean!
aw well, you will be missed - what a good decision, though.

Quote:
yes, that's been on the national news, and is rather scary.

welcome back jess!

little run today - 3 miles with ds in the stroller and dd beside me. my kids rock. after last evening's bear of a night, it was what we needed.
#200 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
And honestly, I'm with you on Hillary :.
:

JayGee I should have said I will miss you! I was just so amazed by the notion of 40 days with no MDC.

Just got back from a slow walk while EK rode her bike in this warm weather. I'm pleased to report that her bike riding skills have vastly improved since last summer. She's much more consistent, less afraid, more logical, and being stronger doesn't hurt either. Maybe she just needed a little maturing time.

My upper right teeth are aching pretty badly - started in the middle of the night last night. I am so afraid that the sinus infection is making a comeback bid. All along it seemed worse on my left, but now it sort of seems like it's switched sides. I'm still producing yellow gunk; that has never stopped. The quantity just got less. I have another OB appointment on Fri. so I guess we'll see how I am then and what he says to do if I'm not rid of this thing. Friday will be 11 days since I started the antibiotics.

#201 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry for serial posting, but I meant to say I've been following this. I hate people like that guy who make it hard for the rest of us to just go out and enjoy ourselves. I keep thinking about how a New Year's Day hike by yourself w/ your dog sounds like such a nice way to start off the new year. She got so much more than she bargained for. I also don't understand criminals like him. Did he really think he could kill her and turn around and use her atm/credit card and not get caught? : The whole thing is so senseless.

I saw that the Indigo Girls auctioned off a signed copy of some lyrics on Ebay to raise money for an animal shelter, as a kind gesture for the girl. Raised over $5000 I think.

#202 of 938 Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post

the one i'm going to do in NH has a sport distance and an xterra distance. the swim for the xterra is approximately 1k, the shorter is 1/2 that distance. the biking and running seems doable, i can do training mtn bike races this summer to get ready for biking and trail running is what I - so for me the swim is the formidable part. but these days i can easily swim 500+ meters, slower than heck but without struggle at all. so it should be totally possible.

i will be off in search of an xterra forum later to see if i can find answers to my questions...
#203 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Paige and Kristin, I posted to my blog about chewing. I know that life-long thumb sucking is different than a few months of chewing on clothes and hair, but maybe you can find some insight there?

Edit: I've owed towsonmama a THANK YOU for ages now. She's the one that found the pattern for the necklace. :
#204 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Edit: I've owed towsonmama a THANK YOU for ages now. She's the one that found the pattern for the necklace. :
Awww, thanks. I'm glad I could help.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#205 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 AM

JayGee -- totally going to miss you, but I understand. I wish I had the discipline, but I also think I *need* you guys in my life. Sumthin' fierce.

Hi, Saskiasmom! I'm a new Dingo since last you were around here. I'm so interested in your story, whenever you feel like sharing!

Thanks for the votes of support re: school. I know, I know. Consciously I feel that way, but it's so hard to quiet the inner voices.

Re: Hillary. I just don't know. I don't want to NOT like her as some sort of media-fueled anti-feminist backlash. But dayum, I just like Obama. I think he's actually inspiring.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#206 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 01:52 AM

Night all! See you in about 6 1/2 weeks !!!!! Happy Running. I'll miss you all.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#207 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 AM

for crying out loud...what is with the tornadoes around here? :

this time, however, i was with a neighbor who invited me to the hockey game! it was surreal - they announced it at this huge arena that we were under a tornado warning and everyone had to stay there! then they told us we had to all move to a central location and we heard all the sirens going off. i just wanted to be home with my babies at that point! i hate being apart from them when anything major goes down. anyway - home now, watching the news reports of tornadoes touching down around us. what a night.

i voted for obama today but tennessee went to hillary. ah well. it felt good to vote.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#208 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 AM

Wish me luck, ladies...first track workout in the morning! I'm a little nervous, especially because my friend who talked me into this particular group won't be there this week or next. I'll be sure to take mental notes on what we do so I can let you all know tomorrow!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#209 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 AM

ab workout done. planning on riding the bike trainer this afternoon.

it's dumping outside. I'd totally sneak up to the mountain for a few runs this morning, but i have about 3 meetings already scheduled
#210 of 938 Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi Dingos! Where to begin? I can't check in at work (hot & heavy these days), so I come upon 4 pages or so each AM, and by the time I read, I run out of running time...dh fed the sheep this AM, so I can still catch a run AND make it to school/work on time (I hope).

There are women here who need hugs...well, more than hugs, of course, but towson, lofty, my thoughts and support are with you both.

And kerc, I admit that the thought of a professor sitting in her office reading some important paper and sucking her thumb...did make me laugh.

And re: primaries, can you believe I have not made a final decision yet? I am displeased with a couple of HRC's decisions re: the war and Big Politics...and I am very excited about Obama's multicultural background and what it says about the future of the US. I'd be happy either way, but I have not decided who gets my vote. We vote next week. Healthcare is such a fundamental, so the lady's got my attention...but the war has sucked away all the money we might have had to get started socializing medicine. It's coming down to chickens and eggs...and in the giant geo-political scene, I think there are, again, pros with either of those two. Just thinking aloud here. Because it's an important decision. There's a giant mess to clean up, and when I think about the mess, then HRC has my confidence. Hm. And I know a lot of people question her humanity/sincerity...I don't. For a million reasons, I don't. And I think she's a very different person than she was 10-15 years ago, too. Hm.

OK. Time to run.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page