Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Patti, I'm so happy to see you here and so, so sorry about your aunt. How is she doing? I know it meant so much for you to go and see her.

Doctorjen-Way to go on the workout. How are you feeling today?

B1-Holy Cow on the chocolate! You are such a great daughter.

Mommabelle-How cool that you inspired your friend. Have fun on the girls' weekend.

Tjsmama-How was your night out last night? I hope you had a great time!

I did yoga last night after the kids were in bed. Dh was ironing in the same room and was watching me, so I invited him to join. He finally did and was really surprised by just how tough it was. I loved doing it with them though and hope he'll join me again sometime, especially since it led to other things...

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Funny, the things that motivate me, though. It used to be hard on me to do an interval workout on the treadmill because if I was feeling tired, it was hard to convince myself to turn that speed up. My new treadmill has a personal trainer feature where you can program speed and inclination changes down to every 15 seconds if you like, with up to 50 changes. So, I programmed my speed workout in, and having the treadmill just switch speeds for me somehow makes it so much easier to keep going when I'm tired!
I want your treadmill!! For my interval days I made myself a recording talking myself through which intensity level I should be doing at each minute of the workout since it is supposed to change every minute too and it's too hard to run and look at my watch that much.
I need to make a new one though because it feels like I'm trapped in an NPR fund-drive I've heard my own schpiel so many times!

DrJen - How are your girls today?

Patti Ann - Good to see you here!

Hollysmom - Avery is a beautiful name! Can't wait to hear more about her!

Chelsea - Sending : for your mom. And for you on your chocolate-free year!

1Jooj - The primaries are all about being weird and emotional. Vote with Pride!

Lofty -

Okay, my time's up. I'm afraid that I'm not giving anything up for Lent this year. The things that would feel like a real loss are things I just need too much right now. I'll make up for it next year. Hold me to that Dingos!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Hello Dingoes.

It's official. DH and I are signed up for the Soldier field 10 mile race on May 24th. As I have said before the last time I ran 10 miles was in 1994 so I will need the Dingos.

No run today as I am going on a field trip to the Zoo with DD 7 and then work.

Maybe tomorrow for sure Sat. I am getting out 3 days a week. I would love to get out for 4 but it has been really challenging with kids and work. DD 4 is in school 3 days a week but work takes one of those days and I seem to have a lot of work and school meetings. When DH changes is schedule I hope to train myself to run in the a.m.. Right now he leaves for work at 5:45 so there's no way.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Good morning everyone!

We had a blast yesterday. DD was very happy.

I ended up running anyway because I ate too much pizza. I did an easy 5 miles yesterday. I came to the realization that I have been giving myself too much slack and I really need to pick up the intensity a bit if I ever want to drop this weight. I resolved to aim for 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week.....basicly a 5 mile run with the jogger. My body just seems to have a naturally slow metabolism, and when I mix that with the appetite of a nursing mom I am just screwed in the weight loss department.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
whoever you support, i think this quote is pretty cool.

"I want to thank all my friends and family, particularly my mother, who was born before women could vote, and is watching her daughter on this stage tonight."

-- Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, Super Tuesday night
Oh, I love that! I don't post about it much but I am a huge Hillary fan. I don' t know if I would like her personally, but so what, if I go down her platform I agree with every single thing. Which is way more than I have ever been able to say about any candidate. That being said, if you look at JUST their facts, she and Obama are terribly similar. So I'll be happy either way. I'm just in such a male-dominated field and have dealt with the "you're not nice enough" thing so much that I sympathize with her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
I loved doing it with them though and hope he'll join me again sometime, especially since it led to other things...
go mama!!!!!!!! I have also had that experience with yoga...and wasn't a dingo babe conceived after some planking?

Hi Patti! So nice to see you here! I'm glad you had a good trip and I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt, that is terrible.

Ds and I are going to get out for a short run today and then to storytime. Do y'all think a circus clown is going to totally scar him for life? they have one from the big apple circus coming to storytime.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM

i didnt run...: but i shoveled the driveway for an hour (almost a foot of snow) and then took adavantage of beign snowed in to do... "other" athletic things with my dh.....
trying for a run this 3 pm..... wish me luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
: Patti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
All that said, whatever your leanings, however you vote, friends, I respect your rights as much as I value my own. AND, I have actually have a little hope that the elections *could* be relatively clean this time, if the current primary trend continues. Hope I didn't jinx it just now.
Ohio. March 4. Problems are assured. It's a mess here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniebonnie View Post
i didnt run...: but i shoveled the driveway for an hour (almost a foot of snow) and then took adavantage of beign snowed in to do... "other" athletic things with my dh.....
trying for a run this 3 pm..... wish me luck.
It's called cross training on this thread. Shoveling is also good exercise.

WARNING: Mommy brag ahead.

I just had a PTC with Karen's kindy teacher. "Our kindergarten assessments (1 on 1 assessment designed by the teachers at the school to track academic progress) are no longer instructive when it comes to Karen. I'll be using the first grade assessments with her for the rest of the year." She got moved from reading level '2' to '10'. The teacher is borrowing books from the first grade class for Karen and another student. Wow! I knew she'd really clicked with reading in the last month or so, but I had no idea how much she'd sprung forward.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
In the spirit of solidarity with her smoking cessation efforts I am giving up chocolate for a year. (!) Starting today.

I hope all goes well with your mom's surgery.
Bolding Patti's quote for our smokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann View Post
My mom's sister was diagnosed just after the new year with lung cancer. Same lobe that my mothers' was in. Damn cigarettes. Hers has spread to some lymph nodes so surgery is not an option. She started chemo on the 28th and had her second dose this past Monday. So far she is feeling alright and is in good spitits. It was nice to see her. I am so scared because of what happened to my mother.
And Patti, color me jealous on being able to:
a - head to florida (warm locale) for a short spurt and
b - having family close by that you trust for your big kids to stay with.

Quote:
I did yoga last night after the kids were in bed. Dh was ironing in the same room and was watching me, so I invited him to join. He finally did and was really surprised by just how tough it was. I loved doing it with them though and hope he'll join me again sometime, especially since it led to other things...
err, we don't call it cross training for nothing.

I had a little 40 minute, low intensity ski yesterday. I had dd2 with me and she spent the first 10 minutes crying and asking for "open the door mommy", which I didn't understand for the first 9 minutes and then when I finally did, she stopped crying. (think burley, then swap out the piece that attaches to your bike for a waist belt and put skis on instead of the wheels and you can picture the sled). So once we got the "door" open, it was snowing and she eventually started crying because the snow was in her face. Duh. So we discussed that next time we'd leave the door closed and then it wouldn't snow on her face. But the 30 minutes of the ski that she wasn't crying were fabulous. I love being out in the woods on a snowy morning.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I just had a PTC with Karen's kindy teacher. "Our kindergarten assessments (1 on 1 assessment designed by the teachers at the school to track academic progress) are no longer instructive when it comes to Karen. I'll be using the first grade assessments with her for the rest of the year." She got moved from reading level '2' to '10'. The teacher is borrowing books from the first grade class for Karen and another student. Wow! I knew she'd really clicked with reading in the last month or so, but I had no idea how much she'd sprung forward.
YAY Karen. Development for our house always happens like that -- giant leaps forward. If Karen is still enjoying the Magic School Bus you will completely enjoy it when she can begin reading them on her own. No more annoying little cartoons.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 PM

ran 1.5 on the treadmill - the thing i waited so long for and actually caved and got over christmas....and for some reason i hate running on it! i have movies and all, but still.. i need to figure out a way to make me go longer.

tn is still reeling from the tornado damage, which i have to say, scares us more now that we are reading about it afterwards. turns out we slept right through the 1:30am sirens [having just decided to turn off the news reports and go to bed at midnight] we awoke at 2:30 to HOWLING winds and very loud thunder and turned on the tv to see that it was almost past our area. later, all our neighbors told us they got their kids and themselves into their safe places a whole hour earlier. needless to say, we bought a weather radio so we don't accidentally sleep through it again. there is a large tree right next to my son's bedroom and i am most worried about that crashing into his room.

i did officially submit myself for the FT teaching job. not sure how i feel about it, but i cannot realistically disregard the opportunity that affords such flexible hours - i can be home before and after kids' school times.

mandy - i may want to pick your brain about small business. i am considering retail and i spoke with a small business loan guy yesterday who scared the bejeesus out of me. i'm working on my business plan but am interested in learning how others did it successfully. i'll email you.

i need to do more personals - also trying to limit my computer time. it's helping me refocus on marriage and children in the evenings, something dh and i agreed we need more of.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 01:20 PM

quick post - nak - 65 minutes on the bike hard and 20 minutes speed walking at a good incline yesterday. felt on fire!! really good

but

i am jonesing for a run. my fitness level is good, but my pelvic floor... so im wondering, what can i do besides kegel kegel kegel?! its been 5 weeks. her birth was difficult - she got stuck, was in the face up position, so when i was on my back she was on hers looking at the ceiling, which is how she came out. she was a wee one, thank god, b/c it still took an hour, for #3, of incredibly hard pushing. so, sorry tmi, i still feel loose down there when i run despite noticing how much better i am at kegels. how much time is reasonable. 5 weeks feels like plenty of time

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
i am jonesing for a run. my fitness level is good, but my pelvic floor... so im wondering, what can i do besides kegel kegel kegel?! its been 5 weeks. her birth was difficult - she got stuck, was in the face up position, so when i was on my back she was on hers looking at the ceiling, which is how she came out. she was a wee one, thank god, b/c it still took an hour, for #3, of incredibly hard pushing. so, sorry tmi, i still feel loose down there when i run despite noticing how much better i am at kegels. how much time is reasonable. 5 weeks feels like plenty of time
I think that starting on abdominal muscles at this point can really help. Start with really gentle things, though, like pelvic tilts. I think typical advice is 3-6 weeks before starting running for a smooth birth. It sounds like your body will need more healing time. The walking in the mean time has to be helping (though I also noticed that it just made my desire to run much more intense.)

Me? I thought I was a-ok in the kegels department. Then I started jumping rope with DD last weekend. Oooops. Not so ok.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:46 PM

two words. Powder. Day.

The mountain got about 20" of snow from yesterday until this morning and dh and I were able to go up together this morning and it was AMAZING! I'm totally blissed out on a powder high right now. AND, to make it better, i decided to just take the time as PTO and not try to make it up. Huzzah! I snowboarding. I our home based DCP who is always open no matter what the schools are doing. I that my job is flexible enough to allow me to have mornings like this.

hoping to get an ab workout later today, but there are no guarantees.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Kerc - I love how subtle you are!

Saskiasmom - I agree with Geo that it might be a little premature since you had a difficult birth. Do you have any access to a pool? You could do aqua-jogging and that would cut out the impact.

GMM - Okay, it doesn't quite sum it up but that's me, green with envy.

I did my intervals today for all the dingos who are having rough times this week. And I reconsidered my Lenten Lame Out, I'm hereby giving up sugar for Lent.

Poppy - That is super scary mama! I'm so relieved you are all alright! Good luck with the right thing coming through on the job front for you!

Conniebonnie - Good luck! And woot! woot on the cross training!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM

a couple of personals:

Go Karen! Geo - was it you who was recommending those science books for kids? what were they? ds has taken quite an interest in space as of lately (i'm sure this has nothing to do with letting him watch Star Wars every Friday night).

Poppy - i'm happy to answer any questions that you might have. just email me or IM via gmail at some point.

Hi PattiAnn!

Modmom - wtg on the race sign up!

okay, now i'm going to start working.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM

very cool, mandy! we also have a major snow day here. it's nuttin' but powder. we have a 1/2 day of skiing planned for the afternoon.

my primary's not until march in tx, but the good news is

:

i'll be there.

:

a filmmaker in the 'hood is going to be on-location and my best friend across the street convinced him that he needs me to be there house-sitting and walking his 2 dogs. i'm so happy i don't know whether to laugh or cry.

thanks for the warm wishes. your wishes really must've created good vibes/power in the universe b/c when i got home last night, dh was waiting up for me to, in his own words, "totally captitulate." so, that's a major step forward toward "teamwork." it is some kind of work to be strong, fair, kind, not aggressive but centered as a mom/woman with a very strong-opinionated dh and to remain true to my beliefs w/o walking away. phew!

yoga cancelled again due to snow but i'll get in some good skiing.

patti, i'm so glad to hear from you. and i'm so sorry about your aunt. damn cigarettes!

poppy, thinking about you a lot with all those storms. hope you're okay.

now. i get to go look for a race!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Go Karen! Geo - was it you who was recommending those science books for kids? what were they? ds has taken quite an interest in space as of lately (i'm sure this has nothing to do with letting him watch Star Wars every Friday night).
Let's read and find out Series. The original recommendation came from Kate~mom, I think.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Lofty! That's awesome news!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Just wanted to let you all know we had our third baby girl yesterday (February 3) at 3:28am. She weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. She doesn't have a name yet, but she is beautiful and healthy!

I'll post more later

you guys!
Congratulations, Holly'sMom!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!

I've been MIA again. It's the knitting obsession. I started back into running after a very lazy period, on Feb 1. I've already skipped a run this week as the laziness persists. But I'm heading downstairs to hop on the TM right now. I'm so far behind for this half training. But, it's okay. I know I can do the distance even if I have to walk some of it. At least having that goal in front of me will keep me moving forward.

I'm looking forward to getting caught up and staying that way. I feel like lame dingo right now. I'm missing out on so much that is going on in all of your lives!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Just wanted to let you all know we had our third baby girl yesterday (February 3) at 3:28am. She weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. She doesn't have a name yet, but she is beautiful and healthy!

I'll post more later

you guys!
Congratulations, Holly'sMom!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!

I've been MIA again. It's the knitting obsession. I started back into running after a very lazy period, on Feb 1. I've already skipped a run this week as the laziness persists. But I'm heading downstairs to hop on the TM right now. I'm so far behind for this half training. But, it's okay. I know I can do the distance even if I have to walk some of it. At least having that goal in front of me will keep me moving forward.

I'm looking forward to getting caught up and staying that way. I feel like lame dingo right now. I'm missing out on so much that is going on in all of your lives!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Patti - I have thought of YOU so often, and was actually thinking of tracking you down when we come east b/c i nj is sort of near us... so sorry about your aunt. im sure we're all saying a prayer

plady - i do have access to a pool, and could run in it, but i think i might shoot myself first no, seriously, thanks for the thought but the jones is in large part to be outside and running free; ' born free, as free as the wind blows...' ... did this song jump into anyone else's head although ...

drjen - i want your treadmill too!!

gmm - you're living the dream when i lived in crested butte everyone was trying to figure out how to have a meaningful job - basically, not working at the mountain or in a restaurant - and be able to live there. dh still gets wistful when he sees pictures of his friends' mtn biking/skiing adventures. some day...

balancin1 - i know this may sound yuck, but carob chips totally satisfy the chocolate urge. i gave up choc a long time ago for health reasons and i was an every day gotta have it eater, but now a handful of carob chips and walnuts .... ok, several handfuls .... is yumm, and chocolate, when i try it, gets me wired and makes me feel kinda nauseus. but i seem to have to remind myself of this every month i think its great of you.

can i share a peeve and ask wwyd; for various reasons - major illness pre delivery and genetics - i am quite thin right now. every person i see says 'you look great, you dont look like you just had a baby'. a colleague of dh's yesterday at the gym said 'you dont look like you've ever SEEN a baby!' Well, A) i dont put stock in body shape. so if i was big would i not look great? and B) im thin through no intention or fault/credit of mine ... so, if i say 'thanks' i feel like its a complement im validating, like thanks, cause i care about that, or thanks cause i worked at it. maybe they mean i look great cause my hair is shiny not. i usually say thanks, and cringe inside, or say i was horribly sick for a month and lost a lot of weight. I dont know, it just feels bad. Hopefully I will have seen everyone I know soon and no one will say anything anymore.

and who's giving up sugar? so awesome

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM

lofty~ That's GREAT news!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
can i share a peeve and ask wwyd; for various reasons - major illness pre delivery and genetics - i am quite thin right now. every person i see says 'you look great, you dont look like you just had a baby'. a colleague of dh's yesterday at the gym said 'you dont look like you've ever SEEN a baby!' Well, A) i dont put stock in body shape. so if i was big would i not look great? and B) im thin through no intention or fault/credit of mine ... so, if i say 'thanks' i feel like its a complement im validating, like thanks, cause i care about that, or thanks cause i worked at it. maybe they mean i look great cause my hair is shiny not. i usually say thanks, and cringe inside, or say i was horribly sick for a month and lost a lot of weight. I don't know, it just feels bad. Hopefully I will have seen everyone I know soon and no one will say anything anymore.
First of all, yeah, I can see that that running through the water thing is not at all like running free with the wind in your great looking hair! Nevertheless I'd say give yourself another week of pp downtime.
About the thin comments, I can imagine how it could chafe but I think it is safe to say that for most people who didn't get the thin gene, looking thin just indicates a general level of health and fitness and for many people it also suggests that you have an enviable level of will-power and discipline. So, maybe you don't feel like those qualities apply or maybe that they do but shouldn't be the basis for admiration but there's not really any harm in just thinking someone for admiring you, for whatever attribute they choose to admire. It's kind of like saying thanks when someone says how cute your baby is, it isn't really like you are responsible but it is the civilized response nonetheless. KWIM? But I can see how it feels to have an innocent comment bring up such an inner battle, kind of like, How many children do you have? Right?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Jess I am right there with you on the thin bit. Only people don't say that to me right after I've had a baby because I have held onto the weight both times for about 6 months.

For the record: My kid LOVES the magic school bus. I LOVE that the is so into science, I just hate that it takes forever to read one of their books if you read all the crummy little cartoons on the side of every page. Mostly because dd2 is usually there and is bored with it.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 PM

Warning--multiquote ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Balancin1 - where does your mom live? I'm glad you'll get to be with her. But dude, I gotta say - no chocolate for a year? Life might not be worth living if it was me! Any chance you can sneak off to the zoo next Friday? I'm taking a couple days off.
DrJen--my mother lives near Des Moines. It's about 6 hrs, which makes a lotta driving but a weekend trip possible, esp. if I leave after DD gets out of school midday. I know on the chocolate, I feel as you do and that's why I thought it would be a good show of solidarity for my mom to give up for her. Yes to the zoo on Friday--R is out of school so we can be there whenever. I'll email or phone you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann View Post
My mom's sister was diagnosed just after the new year with lung cancer. Same lobe that my mothers' was in. Damn cigarettes.
Patti--a great big hug back to you. I hate those cigarettes. My father died of lung cancer. I am so sorry about your Aunt and will be praying for her.

Quote:
B1-Holy Cow on the chocolate! You are such a great daughter.
Thanks HBM, I knew it was a good idea to mention it here since you all are so supportive and this is harder than I thought. Forbidden fruit and all that. WTG on squeezing in the crosstraining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Chelsea - Sending : for your mom. And for you on your chocolate-free year!
~~snip~~
Okay, my time's up. I'm afraid that I'm not giving anything up for Lent this year.
Thanks Plady. And given your BFL adventure, haven't you already made a good commitment to some self sacrifice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
It's official. DH and I are signed up for the Soldier field 10 mile race on May 24th.
WTG, modmom! I will put it on my calendar so DD and I can come cheer you on! Let me know if you need a race pit crew or some equivalent, I'm close to the course and would be glad to help a Dingo out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

I hope all goes well with your mom's surgery.
Bolding Patti's quote for our smokers.
Thanks Kerc. I think of you every time I walk across some ski tracks. I should gear up and learn to do it, it looks like so much fun, and this year would definitely have been a great year to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I just had a PTC with Karen's kindy teacher.
Go Karen! That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
i need to do more personals - also trying to limit my computer time. it's helping me refocus on marriage and children in the evenings, something dh and i agreed we need more of.

poppy, me too. I'm finding it so hard but my resolution is to find that balance. I don't know how the computer can suck so much time and still not let me get quality time with this group.

Quote:
plady - i do have access to a pool, and could run in it, but i think i might shoot myself first no, seriously, thanks for the thought but the jones is in large part to be outside and running free; ' born free, as free as the wind blows...' ... did this song jump into anyone else's head although ...
Thanks for the carob tip, I've always found them weird before but I'm guessing after some time off chocolate I won't be so close-minded, not just out of desperation but because I will be more open to try other things. I am noticing already that breaking the habit is giving me freedom to try new things. It is clearly an addiction for me and also my trigger food. In so many respects I do not have an overeating problem but with chocolate around I will eat it even when I am not hungry and more and more each time. This will be good for me in the long run and thanks everyone for your support and for understanding what a big deal it can be.

I'd just like to brag that I've made it 48 hrs and through the start of AF! :

I'm off to take DD on an outing to the children's museum and will be reporting in after I run on the TM tonight. With 3 inches of ice on the sidewalks I am so excited to be able to run indoors today!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
I'd just like to brag that I've made it 48 hrs and through the start of AF! :
That alone is worth I'm impressed.

Loftmama, what wonderful news!!! : You really "sound" like a huge weight has been lifted.

Cheryl- Good to see you!

Geo-How awesome for Karen! Feel free to brag anytime you want.

Kerc-sorry about the crying ski, at least you had 30 minutes of non-crying.

Mandy-Happy Powder Day!!!

Poppy- about the teaching job. Transistions can be tough.

Conniebonnie-Umm, cross-training totally counts.

I just went to pick the girls up from school and M's teacher walked her out to the car and told me she had just thrown up. The next 3 days are SO incredibly busy for us. I just don't have time for a sick kiddo right now. She says she's not sick, but rather it's from her sister sitting on her tummy last night. Oh, how I wish that were true. Now she can't go to school tomorrow and I have a meeting in the morning that I can't miss. Dh is going to have to stay with her and he's not going to be happy about that. Oh well...

Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM

lofty~ SO glad things are going a little better. Still sending you lots of positive thoughts!

geo~ for Karen!

Lots of and : for balancin, patti ann, and eksmom and your family members!

poppy~ hang in there with the tm. I still don't really like it and it's tough, but I've been able to get over 3.5m the last few times without it being too terrible. It does get better. Tuesday's tm run was even with really crappy tv to watch at the Y (Seriously, WHO watches CNBC or CSpan when they're on the treadmill at the gym??? I need the Price is Right!). Glad you and your family are safe...these storms have been absolutely crazy! Apparently it was thundering and lightning while snowing here in Denver last Friday...I was up in the mountains and missed out on it, but my friends said it was nuts.

gmm~ Totally jealous of your powder day! Your 20 inches blows away my 9 from last weekend!

And I'm VERY jealous of everyone's cross-training. It's been so long since I got to cross-train. Maybe someday I'll get to cross-train again...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Now that I'm mostly caught up with everyone...

No running to report today. I was supposed to do 3.5 today and take tomorrow off, but I think I'm going to flip-flop them instead. We started a class called Crocodile Rock this morning and it's at the wrong time to fit in a workout either before OR after (at least if I want DS to nap).

DS is a little under the weather. He's had this cold/congestion thing going on for almost two weeks now (which led to the end of nursing). He started up with a cough last night, woke up super cranky this morning, and has been a little warm (but not to the point of fever) and just out of sorts today. I really hope it's related to the cold, but he won't eat, either. He was only eating about 5 things anyway (pizza, quesadillas, chicken nuggets, scrambled eggs, yogurt) and has refused pretty much all of those over the past couple of days. He wouldn't eat breakfast at all this morning (usually yogurt, which he puts cheerios on each bite of). Wouldn't touch the cheerios. I FINALLY got him to stop crying with some cheddar bunnies. Refused lunch, except for some cheddar bunnies. At what point do I get concerned that the only thing my child will eat is cheddar bunnies?? At least he's drinking milk pretty well...

I had a WONDERFUL time last night! It was SO awesome having a babysitter and not having to drag DS along. We surprised my girlfriend with dinner at her favorite sushi restaurant (although her DH, who was in on the surprise, LET HER EAT DINNER BEFORE . Lots of sushi, girl talk, giggling, and fun in general. One of the girls may *possibly* be pg, so we dragged her to target and made her pee on a stick. It was negative, but it's still really early for her to find out if she is. It was absolutely hysterical though. We thought it would have been really funny if it had been positive, and all 5 of us would have known before her DH.

Time to go have a little chat with DS (who is NOT napping) about it being naptime!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM

hello chickas
.6 again today, but i intended more. however, even that was half walking and half hiking through snow piles- even the dog slowed up. out city doesnt have enough money to plow, so only the main roads get plowed, and even that isn ot down well. and every other house in my neighborhood is abandoned... so there is not alot of running space..... we got a foot yesterday and we are supposed to get a foot agian tonight....

just wondering if yall could help me out... occasionally when i am running i get a pain in my arm, starts in my sholder blade and works its way up, although at one point when i was running longer (i know, all i do now is warm up and then im done!) it radiated all the way down from my shoulder to my fingers and ended a few runs because of pain...
any clues?
it only felt better if i put my arm above my head... and its hard to runlike that!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Conniebonnie, sometimes I get a pain in my shoulder/upper arm. I've been told it's a cramp (like the side-stitch you'd get in your side). If I slow down or stop and stretch, it usually goes away. I also try to concentrate on slower breathing when I feel one, taking long, deep breaths. Good for you getting out there in all of that. I sure wouldn't have. :

User Tag List