Love is in the Air for Dingos! Running Mamas February Thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome old dingos and new, runners, walkers, joggers woggers even dreamers of forward motion!
Everyone is welcome to come for inspiration, motivation and support for your forward motion goals here at the Dingo Cafe!

This is the first time I've started the new thread, but I couldn't resist and February is one of my favorite months.
#2 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM

subbing
#3 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM

hola. thanks for the birthday wishes ya'll. Bummer is that today's my 8am work day. So no breakfast prepared for me as Erin had previously planned. I postponed till tomorrow.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Here's the race list. I tried to go back and get everything from the last half of the January thread, but I may have missed something. PM me if you'd like me to add something for you!

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

JenLove - 5K Sweetheart Run - Feb 9
HBM - Chattahoochee Challenge 10K - Feb 9
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon #3 - Feb 16
Runningmommy - 10K - March 1
Megs_BK - Rapid Rabbit Run (5 miler) - March 15
2babybees - Churchill's Half Marathon - March 16
modmom - 8K - March
HBM, mamabeth, Mommabelle and DDs (?) - women's only race - end of March
mamabeth - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K - April 5
JayGee - IU Circle of Life 5K - April 5
tjsmama - Platte River Half Marathon - April 6
Runningmommy - 15K - April 12
party_of_seven - Davy Crockett Bear Chase Marathon - April 12
MonikitaUT - SLC Marathon - April 19
VeganCupcake - SLC Half Marathon - April 19
CherylAnn - Wenatchee Half Marathon - April 20
2babybees - Dooby Du (duathlon) - April 20
kate~mom - 112th Boston Marathon! - April 21
poppywise - Music City Half Marathon - April 26
Runningmommy - Indy Mini Marathon - May 3
its_our_family - Flying Pig 5K - May 3
mamabeth - Disney’s Women Run the World 15K - May 4
babybugmama and jgmommo - Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 4
Megs_BK - Bloomsday 12K - May 4
Megs_BK - Couer d'Alene Half Marathon (?) - May 25
modmom - 10 miler - May
doctorjen & Balancin1 - Palos Bank Half Marathon - May
grnmtnmama - Swimming Hole Sprint Triathalon - June 1
2babybees - Ann Arbor Tri - June 8
JayGee - Eagle Creek Sprint Triathlon - June 21
bec - half marathon - June
HBM & mamabeth - Peachtree Road Race (10K) - July 4
CherylAnn - Chelanman Multisport Weekend - half marathon July 19, sprint tri July 20
2babybees - Clark Lake Tri - July 20
Kitsune6 - Northwest Passage Relay - July 25 & 26
JayGee - Indiana Downs Sprint Triathlon - August 3
2babybees - Sylvania Tri (international distance) - August 10
Megs_BK - WunderWoman Sprint Triathlon - August 17
JayGee - Accenture Chicago Triathlon (International Distance) - August 24
its_our_family - 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day Race (Cincinnati) - Nov 27

The Preggo Dingo List
HollysMom - January 25 - welcome : Feb 3!
eksmom - April 18
athansor
pumpkinseed
VeganCupcake - Sept 2
muppet729 - Sept 9

Dingo Recipe Blog - send me a PM with your email address if you'd like to be added so that you can post.

We also have a map so we can keep track of where everyone is located. You'll need to PM me for the info if you're interested.

And last but not least, we have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC username in the request so we know who you are.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#5 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM

eks - my tri is June 1 - they just announced the date.
#6 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM

:Happy Birthday, Kerc!!!! :

My orthotics are in! And in my shoes already!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#7 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM

Happy Birthday to Old-Lady R-C! :

Moonshine, you around?

Some "old" business...

Callie... what's up with your job app in NC?

JenLove, how is your brother and his family doing now?

Balancin1, how's your mom?

We have icy trees, etc. here but it's not on the roads. EK's preschool got canceled this morning though.

I have baking plans for this weekend: lemon poppyseed muffins from Vegan with a Vengeance and this chocolate bread recipe.

#8 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
The weather report Wednesday evening predicted 4" of ice for last night. Yesterday morning it was down to 2", and at the end of the day it was 1". We got some rain. THE WIMPS still delayed school
Uh oh, here I come again with how much more ___________ it is down here but this fall there was a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Yes, it was very bad. However, we are separated from the coast there by a mountain chain yet dd's school still canceled classes. The weather here? Mostly cloudy.

What a race list!! I am so impressed by the activity here! I hope that I will be able to find something to add to it before the year is out. That sounds like a really long time but I know I'll have to put house rehab at the top of the to do list.

: Kerc! I hope that it's a good one regardless of work schedule!

I finished my upper body workout today and today I actually managed to complete all my reps with the 20 lb dumbbells for curls and bench presses! I love how weight training provides such immediate gratification. Although I' m really looking forward to my own little Wendy 5k tomorrow. I haven't done a non-interval run in a long time and I think it will feel great.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#9 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post

Moonshine, you around?
I am here. Thanks for the shout out. Have been doing NO exercise, and feeling big as a house, but all things are a phase, right?? Have been dealing with some emotional stuff, not bad (to be dealing with it), but at times heavy.

Other than an odd fluke of some snow in early December, we have had no snow at all this winter. Ever time they even mention the possibility, it ends up raining. I am not super crazy about winter, but if it supposed to be cold, then let it be cold. We might go ice skating with the kids tomorrow, and it is supposed to be 50 degrees.

Made another trip to Ikea yesterday and we got some more cabinets for the kitchen. (we are buying in stages and we progress on the kitchen) Looks like we will have some unexpected exposed brick. We took out some old cabinets with exposed a very nice looking brick wall. The rest of the wall is covered with dry wall. Think that we will take that off. And so it goes.
#10 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 02:29 PM

subbing...

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#11 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM

subbing DrJen, I love the thread title!!!

kerc - : Have a wonderful day :

modmom - re: quads (I'm a little behind here...), I do straight leg lifts - either laying on back with one leg bent, lift the other leg to 90 degrees, or else standing, lift one leg as high as possible in good form, repeat 10x each leg for 2-3 sets.... that has seemed to help my knees re: the marathon, I don't know if I ever felt "ready" I just figured what the he11, why not...

Eks - thanks for asking about the job!! I actually just got a form letter from them yesterday saying thanks for applying, we'll review the apps through the first 2 weeks of Feb and then contact you if interested.... but the annoying part is that it was addressed to "Miss B____" not "Dr" (which is not too surprising bc it is not an academic position) and not "Ms." I thought that was funny...

but the same univ (here)just put an ad up for an academic job in exactly my field, so if this one doesn't come through and if DH gets an interview there, I will apply for that job too... I really want to get back to the southeast!!!

kate~mom - that is awesome news about your diss :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#12 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Callie, we have driven through Elon a billion times - it's on our way from here to Raleigh. I can't really tell you anything about it, but if you ended up there, you'd only be about 2.5-3 hrs away from me!

#13 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Callie, we have driven through Elon a billion times - it's on our way from here to Raleigh. I can't really tell you anything about it, but if you ended up there, you'd only be about 2.5-3 hrs away from me!
That would be sooooo cool!!!

It is definitely leading our geographic preferences right now... DH just got interviews in Oklahoma and Rhode Island (both of which scare me for different reasons - redness and coldness, respectively )

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#14 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Happy Birthday to Old-Lady R-C! :
Careful that she doesn't shove those flowers back in your face! Or me either for that matter, since she's younger than me.

DH, on the other hand, turns Positively Old today.

Ladies, I went hunting through an old thread for something, and I came across this signature:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom's signature
mama to Saskia (10-3-02), and Finnigan (12-17-04), and she's here!!! Iris (1/3/08)
:

It looks like baby HM is still cooking, though!
#15 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
That would be sooooo cool!!!

It is definitely leading our geographic preferences right now... DH just got interviews in Oklahoma and Rhode Island (both of which scare me for different reasons - redness and coldness, respectively )
Rhode Island is so coastal it is not nearly as cold as some of the NE, my sil/bil/niece/nephew live there. We love to visit! Great beach running!

And Happy Birthday Kerc!

Tomorrow we are going down to mil's house in prep for my Sun race. I'm nervous about clothes/weather/having the right combo of each. The fun things: Sunday is my birthday I will be racing. The not-so-fun things: I will have to spend part of the day w/mil and her bigoted(honestly, this is me being nice) boyfriend. :sigh. He says such inappropriate things that I feel like I am scurrying around in his presence trying to do damage control with the kids. The good thing: being in his presence makes me run faster to vent my frustration.

Oh, thanks everyone for all the good test vibes! They helped me channel my good inner student, and I got an A on the Anatomy and Physiology exam, and I feel good about OG chem. [breathes sigh of relief]

Okay, off to pick up N. -H has Z for today, ice skating for the first time! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Have a lovely weekend!
-A
#16 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 PM

hey dingomamas! how's it shaking in dingoland? looks like the hollysmomster is still enjoying the womb-life.

rr: skiied yesterday.

non-rr: wore stocking cap to bed

it's been snowing so hard, it's like the sky really is falling! I had to cancel a hair appt. 10 miles away and just need desperately to make it 1 mile to the grocery store or it's snow for dinner.

skiing should be perfect for tomorrow and i have reserved an intermediate lesson for ladies that free so i hope : to master the quad lift. (steep ramp with a curve)

plady, i would love to dedicate a run to you & wendy. i will as soon as i can.

eksmom, thanks for keeping up with the list. it's grown quite a bit. i'm quite impressed with the dingo-ladies!

Kerc, : and geodad,

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#17 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Dana, speaking of wearing a hat to bed...the winter that Zoe was a tiny baby we were still working on insulating our farm house, and we heated only with wood. We burned 3 cords of wood that winter and lived in 2 rooms, the kitchen, and the living room (which we dragged a futon into). : I had Zoe in a woolen balaclava 24 hrs a day, to the extent that when the weather finally warmed up, I remember being shocked at what she looked like without a hat. She had hair!

okay, now really off to go get N.
#18 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 PM

aquacates, that's hysterical! my 4yo wears his so often that the mouth part is just gross but i have to convince him to take it off so i can wash it!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#19 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 PM

eep - my department head took me to lunch today and was encouraging me to apply for a full time teaching position with the school. this comes at a time when, due to everything else going on in my life and some self reflection, i have just decided to put together a business plan to possibly start my own business...now i don't know what to do ...i have time to think about it, but not much if she fills those positions quickly.

ooohhhhhmmmmm. that's me meditating. a bit actively, i'll admit.

i really need a run but am thinking i will wait until tomorrow so i can run outside for a good longer run [still only 4 miles] rather than a shorter one inside on the tm. not sure.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#20 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ladies, I went hunting through an old thread for something, and I came across this signature (Saskiasmom)
:
That's wonderful. I have often wondered how she was doing. Although I'm not such a good um, researcher as Geo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post
Rhode Island is so coastal it is not nearly as cold as some of the NE, my sil/bil/niece/nephew live there. We love to visit! Great beach running!
Hear! Hear! ITA I went to college in Prov and I RI! Really, if dh didn't have this weird chip on his shoulder about New England I would be totally be into moving back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguacates View Post
when the weather finally warmed up, I remember being shocked at what she looked like without a hat. She had hair!
This was us with dd1 (although it was Mexico) because she always had a hat on. I risked being beaten up by some old grandma in the street if I ever dared go out with her head uncovered (I mean come on! SOMEtimes it's in the 50's here!) so I just got in the habit of always having one on her.

Poppy - Eek is right! Do you like teaching? Do you get good benefits?

Okay, diaper time.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#21 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 PM

hey y'all....

it was windy and cool today but we went to the ZOO like crazy people since dd was off school, and it was GREAT! Atl people are just way not into bad weather, and so we had it all to ourselves. that baby panda just kills ya, she is so cute! and our "bad weather" was 10 MPH winds and about 45 degrees. balmy, I know.

I am running semi-long tomorrow (maybe with HBM?) and will lift up Wendy and her sweet family. :
#22 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Hear! Hear! ITA I went to college in Prov and I RI! Really, if dh didn't have this weird chip on his shoulder about New England I would be totally be into moving back there.
Another vote for RI here! My brother and his wife live in Providence with their three boys and it's always so interesting and fun to visit them. I love that they can walk almost everywhere from their house in town. Very cool! And Plady, my DH has the same anti-New England chip. Darn....

It is positively awful outside today. The entire road/sidewalk/etc. is coated with an inch thing swath of ice. I saw at least 4 kids go down on the walk home from the bus stop with DS. Yuck. Won't be any outdoor running here today.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#23 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Happy Birthday, Kerc!!!!!! Hope it is a great one

I have been up to my eyeballs researching dipes for newborns. So much has changed since I CD'd K-so many more choices and I didn't CD her until she was 9 months, so I never looked at the itty bitty stuff
#24 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 06:59 PM

i can't believe that I can post on this thread!!!

I started Couch potato to 5 K last week. I'm on Week 2 day 3 tomorrow!!!

My goal is to run a 5k this summer and then a 10k on thanksgiving day!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#25 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
I have been up to my eyeballs researching dipes for newborns. So much has changed since I CD'd K-so many more choices and I didn't CD her until she was 9 months, so I never looked at the itty bitty stuff
Ooh, what are you leaning towards? I am weird, I like variety, so we have a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Except we have a ton of prefolds in a huge variety of sizes and types. I just got some orange-edged newborn prefolds from Green Mtn Diapers that are wider but shorter than the usual infant CPFs. I think those + the jellyroll fold, which I didn't discover until much later, are going to help us with the blowouts this time. We also have some fitteds too... Little Beetles, Motherease Sandies, and Loveybums, plus a couple of Very Baby AIOs for the diaper bag or whatever. The teeny fitteds and AIOs are so adorable - with EK we only used prefolds in the beginning, but I like fitteds under wool. Ah, I CD... one of my favorite subjects.

I am so happy for Saskiasmom. She went through a lot to get little Iris here.

Geo, Happy Birthday to your DH!

Poppy, good luck with that decision. How cool to have the option, though!

#26 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Just have a quick second, but I have been meaning to ask, and her last post just makes my point: Plady, is there anywhere you haven't lived?? My goodness, seems like you have been everywhere!
#27 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Oh, and Geo, your research skills are just amazing.

kerc, hope you are having a happy birthday!
#28 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM

it's nasty outside, and dh didn't get to leave work until 5 and he's got to travel about 30 miles. i'm fretting about him getting home safely. though, he's got good tires and he's a good driver so i shouldn't be that worried.

for some reason i can't get a grip on actual things i need to do, so this afternoon i knitted a little bit, made brownies, putzed around, but did nothing monumental.

now i have a bit pot of veggie soup on the stove and just hoping dh gets home safely.
#29 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM

This is pretty OT, but does fall in the woo-woo department... we took our dog Hannah to the Chinese medicine vet on Monday. Among other things, she said her qi is blocked. Today she emailed us all the information for feeding a home-cooked diet, and we are probably going to start her on some Chinese herbs at some point after we get the diet underway. This is all really interesting to me; I have a feeling I will learn a thing or two. We have been through so much and tried so many things from Western medicine, and the vet actually said that she could get Hannah back to being a normal 8 yr old Labrador Retriever. I had given up on the idea that would EVER happen, so I can't wait to see where this goes.

#30 of 938 Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM

gmm - i was not a good vermonter for that reason [among others]: i was a wreck either driving in that stuff or worried about dh driving in that stuff.

geo - thanks for your stalking. i am so happy to hear about saskiasmom; what a relief that iris is here safe and sound

plady/lofty/dingos who cook....anyone have an authentic queso dip recipe they can share? this is what i am looking for:
made with the real deal cheese [white, from mexico?] not velveeta
consistency is milky and almost more soup-like
does not congeal quickly
i don't want any with meat [no queso con carne]

thanks in advance

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page