Spring into Spring with the Dingoes - (March Thread) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the shampoo note, I use baking soda and vinegar, and only have to wash my hair about 2x a week. And it has the added bonus of 1)being cheap; 2) creating less plastic bottle waste; and 3) not striping my hair and coating it with oil, or whatever is in regular shampoo. I use it on the kids too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I've been trying to get in a day of swimming every week. I just can't do much more than a length in the front crawl. Maybe I'm not breathing right? I don't know. My solution has been to do one length in a front crawl, and the return length in a backstroke. I can do a mile or more this way. I figure it is using different muscle groups as well, so is a pretty balanced workout. But, I would like to figure out how to do a mile in a front crawl. Any tips?
Okay, I was going to post a bunch of tips but wemoon beat me to it. I guess all I can add is, take it easy! You don't have to paddle yourself to death when you're doing the crawl, give yourself time to glide through the strokes. And when you are pulling back one image that has helped me become more efficient is to think of yourself as pulling yourself up past a static point, not dragging your arm through the water iykwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
What seemed to be different was letting my upper arm hang for a second longer as I took a breath, sort of like rotating my whole body and gliding more on the breath stroke, if that makes sense.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
And, if you have just been on 2 rounds of abx can you still have BV?

I'm ready to be done with this OB and also ready to be done paying so much attention to my body. Wanna know what my bathroom counter looks like right now? Contents: peri bottle, monistat box, tucks pads, colace, mirror for checking WTH is going on down there. Then there's the drying w/ the hairdryer after a shower, and ironing my undies. Really... I prefer my girly parts to be low maintenance, thankyouverymuch.
What's BV? And at your counter line-up, I'd be going bonkers too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
He could be eating a worse breakfast than milk and cereal!
Oh man, this morning I was having the usual conversation with dd1 about how she had to eat the 1/4 cup of cereal for breakfast because her body needs fuel blah blah blah when I remembered something a friend told me about kids at her son's school on diets. So asked her if the big kids at her school talked about that and yeah, they tell the little kids not to eat or they'll get fat! : So I explained that she is the perfect size and that I feed her healthy food in just the right amounts and she should not even think about dieting! But for sake! Dieting!!!! 6 year olds!!!

And on that note : I'm back into my 'skinny' prepreg jeans. And my massage therapist said that my muscles felt really solid (in a good way ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
lofty - have you ever used dry shampoo?? I : it so much!!! And it enables me to only wash hair 2x/week and still look somewhat packaged
What's that????

So, I'm still waaay behind but

WE RENTED BOTH SIDES OF OUR HOUSE TODAY!!!!! : TO PEOPLE WITH GREAT VIBES!!!! Come on Dingos, say it with me, "WHEW!!!!!"

I am soooooo relieved. I am actually giddy. That was the biggest scary thing on our to-do list and it's done! Phew.
Okay, gotta for more moving related busyness.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#123 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm here!! sorry I've been MIA, just trying to deal with some stuff here. It's all good though. Surgery is Thursday and I'm getting the laundry done, and stocking up on food in the house tomorrow. I have three people bringing meals too, so that's just a huge blessing.

I ended up not running the race, due to not too much sleep for a few days before hand and the start of a scratchy throat that close to surgery. I didn't want to mess up the surgery.

I did run 10 miles on Sunday on the TM, starting at 9:13 and working up to 8:34 per mile. Felt real good.

I did receive the best box in the world from my VERY GIVING SS!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I got a great lofa/spong for the shower (love it!), a dark chocolate bar (love it!), a candle (love it!), bath bombs (yet to try but looks great), huge jar of body scrub too (love it!). Seriously, this was a lot of stuff, I felt kind of guilty about it. Thank you again so much for the love!!!

Okay, off to do laundry and get crackin' on the house!

HBM~hope your surgery is smooth sailing today!!!

Lisa
#124 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
And on that note : I'm back into my 'skinny' prepreg jeans. And my massage therapist said that my muscles felt really solid (in a good way ).

I so wish I could say that. I'm still a size larger that I would really like to be. I'm toting around 10-15lbs I would rather lose, and I can't convince my butt that we aren't pregnant anymore.......all that despite the fact that I run 25+ miles a week. :

I'm just one of those people that holds on to every ounce until baby weans or seriously reduces the breastmilk consumption. It is frustrating, and I am trying to make peace with it.

RR: I had an awesome run last night, and a busy day today.

I got my secret sprinter package sent off today.
#125 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
But for sake! Dieting!!!! 6 year olds!!!

WE RENTED BOTH SIDES OF OUR HOUSE TODAY!!!!! : TO PEOPLE WITH GREAT VIBES!!!! Come on Dingos, say it with me, "WHEW!!!!!"

I am soooooo relieved. I am actually giddy. That was the biggest scary thing on our to-do list and it's done! Phew.
Okay, gotta for more moving related busyness.
Ok, so : on the dieting. That's just nuts. Just another reason I'm glad I have a boy! :

WTG on the skinny jeans and the house renting!!! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
I'm here!! sorry I've been MIA, just trying to deal with some stuff here. It's all good though. Surgery is Thursday and I'm getting the laundry done, and stocking up on food in the house tomorrow. I have three people bringing meals too, so that's just a huge blessing.

I ended up not running the race, due to not too much sleep for a few days before hand and the start of a scratchy throat that close to surgery. I didn't want to mess up the surgery.

I did run 10 miles on Sunday on the TM, starting at 9:13 and working up to 8:34 per mile. Felt real good.
Sending some : for surgery! And wow, 10 on the tm! I was dying with my 7 on Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
I so wish I could say that. I'm still a size larger that I would really like to be. I'm toting around 10-15lbs I would rather lose, and I can't convince my butt that we aren't pregnant anymore.......all that despite the fact that I run 25+ miles a week. :

I'm just one of those people that holds on to every ounce until baby weans or seriously reduces the breastmilk consumption. It is frustrating, and I am trying to make peace with it.
I can completely understand...I held on to my weight until DS was almost a year old. And it didn't start really coming off until he was 14 or 15 months. It was really frustrating because I felt like I was being SO active (wasn't running, but I was hiking 4-5x/wk) and was nursing. I'm still not sure exactly what it was that triggered my weight loss. DS was decreasing his nursing, I started training for my first triathlon, and my marriage imploded all about the same time, so it could have been any of those or all of the above. I'm actually 30 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight now, in a size I haven't been since early high-school and never dreamed I would reach again. I have to say that I don't recommend marriage stress as a weight-loss method, but at least if I'm going to be single, I'm gonna look good!

rr~A tough 4.5 today. The legs were just not feeling it. It's so crazy how last week I ran the exact same distance, I was pushing DS both times, but last week I ran 9:45 miles and felt like I could have gone faster and farther while today I ran 11:00 miles and was dying the whole time. Didn't help that the wind picked up for the last mile, and was of course blowing right in my face. At one point, I thought I was going to have to stop and walk because I could barely keep running AND push the Chariot through the wind. Guess the cold front that's supposed to be bringing snow for tomorrow is on it's way in!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#126 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM

plady, yeah on the renters!!! YEAH!! What a huge relief that must be. Now you can probably start looking forward to the PCW even more!

Moonshine, I remember trying that years ago but then got hooked back into the shampoo thing. How long have you been using that formula? I gave it after about 6 months, +/- but could never get used to it.

RM, been thinking about you. I'm kinda relieved, actually, that you didn't run. I don't know why, but somewhere inside, I just felt worried about you. You are already superwoman, mama. hope you're okay with it, too. rest up for your surgery!

Just got back from my first Town Lake run in months! Some guys yelled at me which at first scared me (not used to anyone yelling at me in the adks) and then made me laugh b/c, after all, my hair has been washed twice in two days!

Anyway, the run was tough and slow, but absolutly freaky freaking gorgeous. I had about a 1/2 mile hilly start to the trailhead which I walked/ran, then about 2.5 miles on the lake followed by the other 1/2 mile hilly return. You know most my stuff is in storage, right? So I brought my thinnest running tights and thinnest shirt and was BURNING UP!! It's sunny and in the 60's and I was wearing basically 2 layers less than running in NY in November. But everyone else was running in shorts and tanks. I can't possibly justify a new pair of running shorts but I think I see a running skirt in my future. Jammed out to Missy Higgins.

Poppy, hold the ticket. Not quite that glamorous. But I'd still love to meet you!

and

:

my secret sprinter found me at my new address!!! : ahhh, it's good to be loved. :

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#127 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM

RM - oh i hope you get all the support and care you need for your surgery. do you have someone going with you to help? and remember, all the dingos will be crowded in your room, watching over you in spirit!

callie - ok so i asked about dry shampoo at wild oats today but got nowhere. can you explain or name the kind you are talking about?

lofty - i so know who you are talking about [p.b.] holy cow woman! i heart him! have so much fun...that's awesome.

plady - WHEW!!! awesome news

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#128 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Can I just say I am with DH right at this precise moment? I just discovered the two big jars of black bean soup in the freezer, CRACKED. The man has overfilled jars before, but he did it again and now that postpartum soup has to be thrown out and made again. ::: Sorry for posting about something so petty but I need to get it out of my system before he gets home. :

Lofty, glad you got out for a good run and, you go with your freshly washed hair that makes guys yell!

RM, glad you are doing OK.

HBM, hope you are doing OK as well. Thinking of you today.

Plady, yay for the renting! BV = bacterial vaginosis, apparently more common than yeast infections, apparently requires an antibiotic to cure.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#129 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM

My yoga class was difficult and great.. again. Every week it's about me learning to new poses, laughing through some, wanting to cry through others, and breaking free of my "stuff" (aka my ego). I crashed out of headstand today, which was probably what I needed. I was OKAY physically and mentally about falling. A week ago, I probably would've felt completed defeated, embarrassed, and maybe even cried over it. I'm reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and doing the workbook and online class with Oprah and I've found it helping me SO much!

/end my yappin!

Is there any way I can get in on the secret sprinter thing? I know I'm way late.. but maybe I could get hooked up with some newer on the board? So many ideas of gifts to give.

Plady - Congrats on the renters and the pre-preggy jeans!!

Shampoo stuff - I shampoo almost every day. I feel dirty if I don't. Dunno why. I really need to try every other day.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#130 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

eksmom - yes you could have BV, especially after abx, as the kind of abx matters, so you could have taken a kind that kills the good bacteria but not the bad. i dont really know; dh says there's a particular abx you takefor BV so yes you could have it despite taking 2 rounds. BUT, before you stress, why not go in for a swab? and until then, have you done any garlic cloves? sleep with one in and put one in every few hours throughout the day. Ive heard great things about it (very effective), and I used it once for what I thought might be a yeast infection on the way so I can report on what it was like; doesnt feel wierd, comes out easily, BUT, my mouth tasted like garlic and that was gross! Good luck mama, Id go in to any Ob I could see

Plady - OMG on the elementary school dieting! That sux! I dread the day dd1 starts with that. And, btw, whenever you come is fine with us, just send a message whenever you know

Moonshine - I dont do kefir, but I have a line on some milk grains whenever (my stepmom does it), so I could have her send you some?...

Lofty - I am a "packaged" woman and I was totally offended NOT I love about moving how it reminds you to be grateful; every place has blessings, but its easy to get locked into the ones in YOUR place and close off to other places. I used to be a SNOB about location, but now I live in what many residents here consider a "sh**hole". It is, and I still love it

Gotta go get dd1 from school

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#131 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you training for triathlons, how do you plan your training? Ive never done one and havent found a tra9ining plan on line that I like, so Im just sort of pullin it out of my a**... "i guess Ill run ____ miles today, tomorrow Ill do ??" How do I decide what to do when and how much? I feel fine making it up, but it would be nice to have a little more of a plan...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#132 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Yeah, I'm probably not much help with that. The two I did last summer, I didn't so much officially "train" for. My plan was the first one was to try to swim once a week, bike once a week, and either hike or run 2-3x a week. The second one, I honestly didn't even get on my bike for about a month while I was "training" for it.

As soon as I get done with this half, I'm going to have to come up with some sort of training plan. For the sprint distances, I'm not too worried about actual "training", but for the Olympic distance, yeah, I need to have a plan. But, it needs to be flexible, since DS and I are attached at the hip 95% of the time. I will probably still try to swim/bike at least once a week, and just up the distance a little, and maybe try to get one bike/run brick in a week?

Where's jaygee when you need her?? Stoopid lent... Maybe she can help us out when she comes back if we haven't figured something out by then!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#133 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
dd1 is still sick and not eating. She isn't throwing up any more, but can't get herself to swallow anything solid and only the tiniest bits of fluids. Her fever comes and goes and she is so weak. dd2 stayed home, but I think it was mainly because she wanted some of the TLC her sister is getting. She was low energy and rested most of the day, so I know she wasn't feeling 100%, but as long as we don;t have a snow day tomorrow, she is going back to school and dd1 is staying home with me pushing fluids again

I have a touch of this bug too, but I am doing my best to pretend I feel well as long as I have sick kids. dh has a heavy week and isn't being the most supportive about home. He is trying a little, but he let a few comments out about the state of the kitchen counter, being asked to make supper (pasta and sauce from a jar ) and some of the ways I am handling caring for the kids. Knowing how he would probably be taking excellent care of himself if he was sick just irks me. I am sure it would be delightful; for him to come home to a sparkling house with a lovely dinner on the table and the children all perfectly cared for - but that just isn't reality tonight, you know?

plady - : That is great news!
#134 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
but he let a few comments out about the state of the kitchen counter, being asked to make supper (pasta and sauce from a jar )
I have some from scratch black bean soup, fortified with glass, if he'd rather have that instead.

Saskias, I have done the garlic thing, 2 nights during this (it never makes my mouth taste like garlic, though). I think that helped knock out anything I had going on internally. Thanks for the BV info. The external situation is much, much better (i.e. itching pretty much gone, parts don't feel so swollen) through use of the external yeast cream - so maybe that's all it was? I'm still debating about whether to insert that stuff again tonight; I'm kinda leaning towards not and seeing how everything feels tomorrow.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#135 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Eks - I've given myself a chemical burn through OTC monistat, so if you use the whole course and still have symptoms, DON'T be tempted to just go buy more. I used one of those 1-Day treatments... and that is what gave me the chemical burn. Or so said the OBGYN.. and my crotch felt like what you described. She said that sensitive people like me should stick to the 7-day or 3-day treatments. I don't use the crap at all now, if I can help it!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#136 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
bec

Thanks, wemoon! Those were some great tips! I'll definitely check out that book.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#137 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 PM

Dry shampoo.... this is what I use, I got it at Sephora...

I have some friends that use a spray type called Klorane, I think, or something like that...

It pretty much does the same as corn starch, but it smells good and feels better, and I justified the cost thinking about all the shampoo, water, and energy (blow dry) I was saving I always straighten my hair, so it is so much easier to just wash it every few days and use this in between... but I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash too sometimes

you could try experimenting w/ cornstarch first to see if you like the idea, before buying... I think it is really starting to catch on though, apparently it is big in Europe (?)

plady - YAY on renting, muscles, and skinny jeans!

shanti -

okay, I was going to try to do better on the personals, but I smell burning meatloaf from the kitchen....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#138 of 1077 Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Re: triathlon trraining plans... The Danskin website has some good ones by Sally Edwards, who is the guru behind the Danskin Sprint Tri megaloindustry. Hal Higdon has a couple (8 week, 12 week), and there's a website called trifast.com or something that had a few plans.

Anyway, I'm caught up with y'all now, so I'm going to climb into the tub. I still feel miserable and I'm getting so frustrated about everything. Finals are in two weeks and I feel like there's no hope of me feeling good enough to do the studying I need to do to really do well. Or just, you know, PASS.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#139 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
For those of you training for triathlons, how do you plan your training? Ive never done one and havent found a tra9ining plan on line that I like, so Im just sort of pullin it out of my a**... "i guess Ill run ____ miles today, tomorrow Ill do ??" How do I decide what to do when and how much? I feel fine making it up, but it would be nice to have a little more of a plan...
I like the ones on beginner triathlete. The only thing I don't like so much is that they have the three sports in time rather than distance in the plan, but you can easily change that if you would rather be in distance. Basically, I want to do each sport 3 times a week: one long, one middle, and one interval/speed building workout each week in each sport. Beginner triathlete has plans that are swim focused, bike focused or run focused if there is one area that you need to work on more. HTH!

Re: the shampoo. I tried baking soda and vinegar once and I really couldn't get used to it either. I liked the idea of it and kept at it for awhile, but went back to poo and now use really bad national brands :

RR: I'm finally going to run today! I feel so much better and am going to get in 3 this afternoon. I'm excited, it's been a week since I have ran!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#140 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Oh my, this thread goes fast!

I am skipping the gym today. my 1st day skipped in 10. I am going to the Sewing Expo here in Atlanta, and I am psyched. I am taking 2 serger classes with a fellow WAHM.

I signed up to do the Self challenge with some online frineds, adn we started this week. I will prob do teh strength Self workout when I get home tonight.

I have lost 13 lbs since Jan. By working out hard at the gym. I have modified my diet a bit, but I still eat the same whole foods/unprocessed meals that we have always eaten. I'm trying to cut back on fats (like red meats, chocolate, full fat dairy) and increasing protein (eating more chicken). I'm seeing results, adn I'm thrilled. I'm at a point on my life (done having kids, all have weaned, turned 40) that I am ready to tackle me weigth and keep it off for good. I have 45-50 lbs left to lose. I'd love to lose another 15 before June, adn I think I can.

TFR

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#141 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 AM

i've been meaning to make up a dry shampoo to sell, especially after seeing one featured in a magazine selling for $40 a jar. but when i was researching ingredients I kind of felt that there wasn't a whole lot to it and haven't gone anywhere with it yet.

abs are done today. it strained my knee a little bit, but in general i'm pleased with how good my knee is feeling. hopefully it will be nothing in the end.

thinking i might try to spin on the trainer a little bit later this afternoon if I can squeeze out some time.

back to work!
#142 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM

i need some [more] advice...when i ran on sunday i stopped short because i think i had strained my left thigh muscle on the run a few days prior. i have not run since sunday, but i want to run today...but i still feel some strain as well as some slight muscle spasms in that area.

what should i do? run through the pain, because i have already taken a few days off and the pain is pretty slight? or should i take days off until it's gone?

i'm 38 years old and am trying really hard to stay injury free leading up to the half...but i also don't want to take too much time off which affects my training schedule, already out of whack.

i've never trained for or ran this length of race before, so i am feeling pretty clueless.

thoughts?

thanks!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#143 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
bec

Ugh, this is the never-ending virus! Now, I'm congested. But, I'm hopeful that it's on it's last legs. I'm starting to actually feel human again.

But, I think I'm calling this week a wash for exercise. I am just wiped out, and want to rest. I'll do this week next week, and go from there.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#144 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 AM

poppy, I'd run a few miles easy and see how it goes. I would *never* run through the pain...if you feel sharp pain during a run, then stop! But if you are only sore afterward in that area, then I think you're good to go. Stretch it out a lot when you're warmed up. I just read that you have to miss more than 2 weeks training to seriously mess yourself up for a big race, which has been my experience too. Let us know how it goes.

Mandy, I'd love a dry shampoo or shampoo bar! I use a bar from lush and love it. I also want to check into the dry shampoo bc my hair does a lot better with less frequent washings. let us know if you need testers

I'm about to do my pre-sermon run, maybe an easy 3 or 4, but wanted to check in. And also confess that I am completely addicted to Dexter. I get this way with shows....thank goodness for netflix!
#145 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon View Post
Basically, I want to do each sport 3 times a week: one long, one middle, and one interval/speed building workout each week in each sport.
So you do double days or lonnnggg workouts? How much time do you put in, and for how long before the tri? Basically Im trying to train for this tri. and if it works out (read, if I can get enough help with kids) Ill do it. Its june 7, so Ive got 3 mos. I already have a solid aerobic base ... right now Im shooting for 6 workouts a week of about 90 minutes each. Also, the tri. is olympic distance ... and its my first one ... I tend to overdo it apparently.... so I feel like I have this big goal and not really sure how to get there

RR: yesterday was off and I thoroughly took it off - made a point of not doing chores I could have and perhaps should have, and ate like the dickens Today is long bike and core, tomorrow Im not sure b/c I have the 2 young ones and dd2 is too young still for the gym childcare. If the weather is good enough Im shooting for a moderate run with the double stroller, or mayeb try to wake early again for something (dh doesnt leave for work until 8).

#146 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
i'm 38 years old and...

i've never trained for or ran this length of race before, so i am feeling pretty clueless.

thoughts?

thanks!
Poppy - we double posted, but EXACTLY Ill be 38 on Friday

#147 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Poppy - I'd vote for doing something instead of just resting, but not trying to run through the pain if it is severe. Like, start out really slow and do a very slow, easy run, take walk breaks, or else just crosstrain - bike/yoga/core etc...

Also, are you icing? Break out the ice for the injury or sit in an icebath!
Take your fish oil (or veg source of omega 3)!!

Have you thought about trying to increase your distance in training for the half by incorporating walk breaks a la Galloway? That is what I did training for my first half, but when I broke through ~6 miles, I was able to just run the whole thing.... Also, maybe slow way down on your long runs?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#148 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM

I just got in a really nice 4 miles. At first I was going to try and do them fast and then I talked to jgmommo and she reminded me to take it easy. I keep pushing and then crashing the next day. So I did...I ran the first probably upper 9 mm (9:50ish), the second similar and then started feeling better so I sped up a little. My average was 9:20...but the last mile was probably in the 8's.
#149 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM

poppy~If the muscles are just really tight and maybe a little sore, but not painful, I would go ahead and run, just be careful and don't push too hard or too fast. Definitely warm up slow, stop and stretch thoroughly, and then just listen to your body and what it's telling you. If you get going and it starts loosening up, then you can push it a little harder. If you get going and it starts tightening up more, back off. If you are having actual pain, I might skip a run today and try to do something else, maybe bike if that's not bothering it or even swim. And ice, ice, ice. Make sure if you're icing a muscle to gently stretch it out after you're done, since icing will make the muscle tighten up more.

I had to skip track this morning because of lack of babysitter and the weather not being cooperative for taking DS with me. So, I'm going to experiment a little with my knee and biking. I attempted a tape job on it and I'm going to go to spin class and see if it helps at all. If so, great. If not, I'm calling the doctor this afternoon since I don't know what else to do.

I kind of feel like I'm falling apart at the ripe old age of 31. Between my hip (and now the other one's starting to hurt a little too), and my knee, and my foot (which goes numb when I run/bike/ski/pretty much anything, and has been thoroughly investigated with no conclusions), and now my wrist (the one I've had surgery on twice) flared up yesterday for no good reason that I can think of. Maybe somebody's trying to tell me something.

#150 of 1077 Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Poppy - I wonder if a little lower body weight lifting might help you avoid injury and have an easier go of it. Or like others said, some cross training so you aren't over working the same tendons/muscles/joints. Just adding something to your running mix.

Oh, I was going to post this in case it helps anyone else.. so the hip injury that I had the fall of '06 that put me out of commission for a while sometimes gives me little flare ups. I know P07 has linked hers to a weak lower back (am I remembering that right?), but I've linked mine to weak lower abs! Get this.. If I'm running along and my hip starts to twinge, if I straighten my posture and tighten my lower abs (i.e. suck my gut in towards my spine), the pain instantly goes away. Crazy, huh? So I've been trying to strengthen my lower abs and it seems to be really helping.

Tjsmama - Yeah. Welcome to your 30's. But I won't talk about it anymore, because the Universe is listening. We only get stronger as we age! D#mn it!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page