April showers bring....muddy dingoes! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
I like the second shirt too! Does it come with a guarantee that the wearer will look as sexy as the model?
Oh wow! The shirt comes with a free boob job, too? I totally want that one!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#62 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM

I like both the shirts Lisa posted.

doctorjen-thanks for your kind words. Maybe the older kids can do a longer fun run. That way Justin and Catherine can participate.

Jess-I love my Bob Ironman. My friend just got the revolution because she wanted a swivel wheel, but I don't mind the fixed wheel. I think I actually prefer it.

pumpkinseed-I think a good double would be worth it.

Off to try and get a run in.

Patti
#63 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Monikita- Too bad I like that shirt, but don't need mine any bigger. Can I get mine without the boob job option?

Patti
#64 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 05:57 PM

OK, so I guess my struggle will be to find a place that has shirts y'all like AND can do custom printing. I don't think I can manage to buy shirts and then find a screen printer separately to do low runs, so if anyone knows of the former [besides customink and the one plady posted] let me know! if nobody likes the silhouettes offered, then i'll probably have to hand the project off to someone who can handle finding a sep screenprinter - definitely more than i can take on right now.

i got my half bib number in the mail yesterday! nervous and excited : i didn't sleep well last night so i started making my mental mile dedication list for each of the 13 miles.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#65 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 PM

Question for marathoners:

I am thinking of doing this marathon.

How much dedication does it take? I am training for a half in the beginning of may. The most I have done is 9 miles. I have done some road and off road triathlons, but nothing this long. I could sign up for that marathon or a half Ironman, which seems easier because it is three different things. So I guess my question is, what does it take to be successful at a marathon? I figured I would follow this or this schedule.
#66 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Just got back from my PT apptmt and it was definitely enlightening! I'm a little overwhelmed by all the little things that are likely contributing to my hip problems, but it is nice to have a plan of action!

basically, my right foot toes out a TINY bit + weak core (and subsequent pelvic movement) + no adductor or glute strength + very stiff spine while running apparently = hip/tendon problems

The exercises were tough (see aforementioned strength issues...) but I have a (exercise) band and a plan, so I'm ready to go!

I got the okay to run a little, as long as I don't have pain...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#67 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
bec

I love my BOB.

Gaining weight when you first start running - Probably muscle gain. You are building up lean muscle, and burning up fat. The fat takes up more space than the muscle, so it is possible to be losing inches, but gain a little weight. It evens out after a little bit.

DDDDCs - The shrubbery quotes are from the Nights that say Nee! They request a shrubbery in payment for being allowed to pass.

Phew! I think that's it!

Oh, and Kate~mom - They turned your text upside down!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#68 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Poppy - I am fine with you making executive decisions about the shirts to make it easier!! I have printed stuff w/ Zazzle before, but I have no idea if they have althletic gear...

sugarandsun - you seem to have a good base to start the training. If you do a HH plan, you should probably start w/ the novice one and add to it... I used this program so I could do more biking/cross training and fewer runs and it worked fine, but doing it again, I would definitely train 4 days a week, adding a shorter marathon pace run on Sundays... and I'd probably periodize the intervals and tempo runs a little rather than doing them both in the same week. I think most of the challenge in training and doing it is mental - gearing up for those LONG runs (and recovering from them) and then in the race itself.

#69 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM

I had a BOB Ironman last year and LOVED it. It got really mildewy though since it always got wet. The tires were also a little corroded from salt water. Still worked great, then DH accidentally ran it over. No one was in it of course, but I miss it. It was awesome. I can't bring myself to spend the money again. I am thinking of getting a used Kelty.
#70 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM

sugar - ALWAYS use a beginner plan when you first race a distance. someone gave me that advice when i was doing my first half, and it has seved me very well. you will avoid over-training and injuries that way.

and i turned my own text upside down
#71 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM

oh - and be careful with getting a used kelty - i was on the consumer reports page the other day - there have been a lot of kelty stroller recalls.
#72 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM

I like that second shirt but I searched for it in the US and it only comes up in the UK, France and japan. Next?

And you ladies cat-calling that poor thirteen year old model!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#73 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
My very hard core runner friend (the hardest) is having her first in June. Running stroller recs (I love mine but thought Id give her a few names; she likes the BOB and Chariot so far)
I have (and LOVE ) a Chariot. I've heard lots of good things about the BOBs but have no firsthand experience. That said, here are the two things that would make me pick a Chariot over another type of jogging stroller: 1) Versatility. If your friend thinks she may want to bike or xc ski with her LO, she will save lots of space and money by not having to buy another piece of equipment. 2) It's enclosed. It's SO nice when it's colder/windy/snowy or rainy out to be able to completely close DS in and know that he's sheltered from the weather in his little bubble. Also, I can pack all kinds of toys/snacks/drinks/etc in with him and he can't drop or throw them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Question about weight: I put on a few pounds since I started running more. What's up with that? I am NOT eating more either. Why would this happen?
Yup, probably muscle weight gain. Muscle is more dense than fat, so by adding a little more muscle, you might put on a little weight, even if you are losing inches of fat. It'll probably even out as you continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post

Just got back from my PT apptmt and it was definitely enlightening! I'm a little overwhelmed by all the little things that are likely contributing to my hip problems, but it is nice to have a plan of action!

basically, my right foot toes out a TINY bit + weak core (and subsequent pelvic movement) + no adductor or glute strength + very stiff spine while running apparently = hip/tendon problems

The exercises were tough (see aforementioned strength issues...) but I have a (exercise) band and a plan, so I'm ready to go!

I got the okay to run a little, as long as I don't have pain...
WOOT! Yay for PT! I'm a big fan! Most of my issues are coming from a weak core (and subsequent pelvic movement), too. The good thing is that after only two weeks of PT, I'm already noticing a big improvement!

rr(kind of)~ Set out this morning to meet a friend for 4 miles. We ran, no joke, less than a tenth of a mile and I couldn't go on. The tops of my feet hurt too bad. : The good thing is that the park we were running at is literally right next to my running shoe store, so we decided to walk on over there and see if they had any bright ideas. The very nice salesman that I've seen 3 times in the last 2 weeks swapped out my shoes (with 30+ miles on them!) for brand-new ones that have more room top-to-bottom through the forefoot, thereby eliminating my pain. FOR FREE. I this store!!! It wasn't their problem (I'm the dodo that got my orthotics recovered) but they totally took care of me. If anyone is ever in Colorado and needs running shoes, the Boulder Running Company is the place to go! So, after I got the new shoes, we finished our loop around the park for just over a mile total. My feet feel a ton better in the new shoes, but still sore so I didn't want to push it too much. And now I'm sitting here icing a completely new body part. Only I could manage to do this...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#74 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM

so now I have to post to see if I get a ddddc!

sugarandsun, I really have to watch it with running so I don't gain too much. I think it's true about it being muscle, but that's only a couple pounds. Running also gives you a big appetite. at least for me.... And that marathon looks awesome! you might want to check out the runners' world boards for evaluations before committing. They'll be brutally honest and help you decide. If you a mean a marathon in general, well, just DO IT! It is just an amazing experience!

gaye, I used to go to the BRC! They do rock. I don't miss Denver, but I did love boulder!

and I do want the boob job (if you mean a reduction!), and I apologize profusely for the choking V-neck, but it really is next to impossible to find a place that will screen print real "technical" shirts like that. esp for not a million $$. I tried!

my week:
M- 3 miles (Done)
T- power yoga (after kids are in bed, I hope!)
W- 4 miles
R- yoga
F-off
S- 10K race!
S- recovery run on the beach

take care mamas.
#75 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

I love MP, can't resist another one.....
#76 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM

MB - I've never noticed that the shirt from last year had a weird neck...? It is lower than some of my technical tops... I actually really like that style and would go for another one like it

but I would definitely like any shirt that helps in the boob dept

#77 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM

I have a Koolstride stroller, in the single and double version, both of which I got used, but they are harrrrrrd to find used.

I tried the Chariot when ds was 5 mos, as we wanted a bike trailer too... he could not sit upright, kept sort of dipping siiiiiiiiideeeeeee-ways onto his sister. Also, it doesnt recline, does it? At least for the first few months you need the recline so baby can sleep (and newborn can be cradled) right? It was really sporty and sleek though. I wanted it to work.

The squeeky wheel thing; was that because the bearings (sp?) got exposed to elements (water, salt)? Mine has sealed bearings, which is one reason we got it, b/c in Minneapolis there was a lot of salt on the roads - that way there's no wear and tear on the bearings.

Basically, Dh was a bike tech before he became a body tech - ha ha - and he picked ours based on all kinds of technical bike stuff I wouldnt have looked at (wheel size, bearings...). Ive heard raves about the Bob so Ill let her know.

My achilles is sore Im soo sad. Its been a month. Im starting to wonder about PT myself. At first I thought they couldnt help b/c I basically need to RICE it, but now Im wondering if they could detect something in my gait or shoes. My right leg is always the trouble maker, first my knee, and now this. From what Ive read achilles tendonitis is usually degeneration as opposed to inflamation. "Degeneration" makes me feel so old, and like I wont recover. Again,

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#78 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
And you ladies cat-calling that poor thirteen year old model!

WHAT??? The shirt comes with a FACELIFT as well? That is great! Wow, what a shirt. I'm all over it. Throw in some lipo and I'm totally ready to hit the club scene.

Hey chickadee, when are you going to be here?

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#79 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Gaining weight when you first start running - Probably muscle gain. You are building up lean muscle, and burning up fat. The fat takes up more space than the muscle, so it is possible to be losing inches, but gain a little weight. It evens out after a little bit.
I actually think that a weight change in the first few weeks is likely water. When you exercise you take more care to drink more water. 16 oz water = 1 pound.
#80 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

I thought last years shirt was perfect and would totally go for another one like it...
#81 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM

i made it all day long and got a lot of stuff done too.

ds is already passed out from a long days play, so i'm going to post quick and keep plugging away at the to-do list.

just so you know - there is a knitting mama out there with the name Julia Roberts. she used to post on mdc and the woollywonder site for a long time and ordered stuff from me.

i have a baby jogger with the BIG wheels and really liked it. it also reclined. the baby jogger with the small wheels was not nearly as good. however, the company was sold and stuff happened, so i don't know how good the stuff is now. best part about it was that it was super simple. not a lot of gadgets and hoo-hah. just a jogging stroller with BIG wheels.

alrighty, off to do things.
#82 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
you might want to check out the runners' world boards for evaluations before committing. They'll be brutally honest and help you decide.
You can also get reviews at www.marathonguide.com.

Hee hee, we have had a lot of new dingos come on board while I've been pregnant... whenever I manage to post something sort of RR like the above, I wonder if y'all are like "Why is this poser chiming in on this?"

Mandy, good for you for staying offline! And I remember that Julia Roberts. But this one on Ravelry used the actress's picture and does have a private profile. Interesting.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#83 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
I like the second shirt too! Does it come with a guarantee that the wearer will look as sexy as the model?
I wish!!!

EKs!!~you got a quote from "Princess Bride" another great movie!!
#84 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Question for marathoners:

I am thinking of doing this marathon..
ok, so i actually just clicked on the link - i'll do it if you do it. my uncle has a summer house in quogue, so i could crash out there.
#85 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 PM

We just had a nice family walk to the library. The girls did some "racing" on the way home and dd2 lost the last one to her sister and is having a complete melt-down. Dh is giving her a bath and she's up there just crying and saying "I want to go to bed". She's so tired and this is just what she does when she's tired. It's so sad to watch. Poor kiddo.

I wish I had a nice jogger. I use it a lot and I probably should invest in a nice one, but the one I have now is OK. My last one had a horrible handle that gave me blisters. I have BOB envy.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#86 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM

Poppy~I'm looking into more shirt options if that's okay. I'm not trying to step on your toes, just looking around and trying to help. You can always tell me to butt out. What's the time frame on this project?

RR: had an awesome interval work out today. TOok my until 4pm to get on the TM, but once I was on it, I rocked it. Same work out as two weeks ago, but a "little" bit easier this time.

1 mile warm up
2 miles at 7:45
Recover for 3 minutes
1 mile at 7:28
Recover for 2 minutes
1 mile at 7:28
Recover for 2 minutes
800 at 7:13
Recover for 2 minutes
800 at 7:13
1 mile cool down

Ahhh, I feel like I accomplished something today.
#87 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:30 PM

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
#88 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
WHAT??? The shirt comes with a FACELIFT as well? That is great! Wow, what a shirt. I'm all over it. Throw in some lipo and I'm totally ready to hit the club scene.
Sign me up for that one!

I hate to say it, but I think Ravelry's Julia is a shameless promo for her movie, by her publicity people. And assuming that it is, I'm pissed that Ravelry would allow that. I hope they at least waited their turn on the list. : I've seen JR several times around Taos and she keeps a VERY low profile - even if she were on Ravelry, I'd highly doubt she'd use her real name or pic. That said, maybe she'll show up to our new Taos knitting group one of these evenings!

Gaye, your local running store sounds fantastic. I think I'll drive up when I'm next in the market for shoes. Especially considering that I really think all my hip/pelvis problems came from those d#*& shoes that were specially fitted at the "great" Albuquerque running store. :

There are getting to be more and more of us dingos in the SW/NW.... we might have to organize a West coast meet up one of these days.
#89 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 PM

This one is the same shirt different color I think, but I like the print.
#90 of 1016 Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Lisa it just showed a blue shirt. And damn woman those are some seriously fast sustained times! I think that's what impresses me most about your speedwork - how much you do!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page