April showers bring....muddy dingoes! - Page 34 - Mothering Forums

#991 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I juts got home form the post office and still no sign of the Enell. It doesn't matter how happy my feet are in these new shoes - without a good bra to run in, I will be in misery! I was actually wondering the other day if I would be a good candidate for reduction surgery. How nuts is that to think about? (I am a 32F these days - and a 30F when I run regularly. Ugh.)
Shanti, I had my first pregnancy Enell disappear from my front porch before I realized it had been delivered. I found out it had been delivered by tracking it on the FedEx webpage since they had sent me a shipping confirmation email with a tracking number. I would call Enell and say you never received it--they are very helpful. Did they send it through the post office or through FedEx? They replaced my missing one in just a few days for free. What a pain to have it not show up yet.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#992 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 PM

totally non running related:
I didn't get the position I applied for at a local university. I'm ok with that. I've known for about 2 weeks now. I actually was relieved.
but

dh didn't get the FT position at the community college either.

sob. Is this a sign we should be moving the h*ll outta this town?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#993 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM

kerc

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#994 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM

#995 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Sorry kerc.

Didn't you also apply for a UW position? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#996 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Didn't you also apply for a UW position? Or am I thinking of someone else?
yep, that's the one I didn't get. I live about 4 miles from the state of wisconsin, 10 from a UW school.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#997 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
yep, that's the one I didn't get. I live about 4 miles from the state of wisconsin, 10 from a UW school.
Oh.. I didn't realize you were so close. I am so sorry.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#998 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Aw, kerc, that stinks.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#999 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
The last several days I've been completely unmotivated, but then I come here, read the posts, get my running shoes on and just go.
I love how this group is so inspiring, motivating, and all around supportive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
it's snowing here. out my window - lots of snowflakes. on the last day of april. make it stop!
Mandy, if it makes you feel any better, it's currently 80 here, but is supposed to snow tomorrow and Friday. Yep, that's MAY. Luckily, in typical Colorado fashion, it will be back up pushing 60 by race day on Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
I am getting shin splints in my left leg and I'm really bummed about it. I haven't had them since cheerleading in HS and college. They super-suck. Is there anything I can do to nip this in the bud?
Ice is your number one best friend when you have shin splints. Followed closely by rest, but if you want to try to keep going right now, that's ok as long as they're not getting worse and you're taking appropriate measures to try and get them better. My preferred method of icing for shin splints is an ice cup. Fill up paper dixie cups with water and freeze, then tear off the top part to expose the ice and rub it on the sore area for 5-8 minutes. It gives you a combo ice and massage. An ice bag or pack will work fine too, but I think an ice cup works a little better for shin splints. Some gentle stretching, and light exercises can help as well (heel and toe raises/walking, the towel scrunches Callie mentioned where you use your toes to pull a towel...will have to see if I can find a website with pictures). Have you changed anything in your training lately that may have set it off? Different surfaces that you're running on, increased distance, new shoes, etc. Or your shoes may be getting too old and not giving you the support you need. If you don't have orthotics, often an orthotic can help, too. Usually shin splints are caused because your foot isn't absorbing the shock of hitting the ground well enough and that force is being transmitted up into your shin. Ok, enough of my lecture , I tend to get carried away about this stuff, has anyone noticed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
Callie--thanks for the suggestion. I wondered if my knee issue would go away as I got stronger. On my off days, I'll definitely do those exercises and some others to strengthen my legs.
I would definitely try a quad strengthening program. Women especially are prone to patellofemoral problems and usually getting the quad strong can help A TON. Straight leg raises, mini wall squats, mini step-ups, lunges (making sure the knee isn't getting out in front of the toe), will all help. And if the brace is helping, by all means use it, at least until you get things strengthened up and don't need it anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

totally non running related:
I didn't get the position I applied for at a local university. I'm ok with that. I've known for about 2 weeks now. I actually was relieved.
but

dh didn't get the FT position at the community college either.

sob. Is this a sign we should be moving the h*ll outta this town?

But you know, if you want to move, you should TOTALLY move to Colorado! We've got it going on out here!

rr~Track workout this morning...easy for those of us racing. We got 8x200 with 200 recoveries, and we weren't even supposed to go all out on our 200s. The "real" workout was 2x200, 2x400, 1x800, 2x400, 2x200. I was actually a little disappointed I didn't get to do that one, I think I would have liked it a lot! Oh well. Oh, and GREAT news, my coach emailed a few friends last night seeing if any of their (high school age) kids would be interested in babysitting when track switches to 6 am in a few weeks...I have at least 5 kids to pick from! CRAZY! I thought there was no way I'd be able to find someone, I'm so psyched!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#1000 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 PM

If y'all have any more good vibes to spare, we could use them. My Dad took DH to the ER this afternoon for what is probably a kidney stone, but we don't know for sure yet (he has a history of them, but this started differently than they usually do for him; still, that's what it looks like). My mom is here so we are doing OK but I am feeling a wee bit frazzled. Also, Griffin's cord is oozing and smelling and he is doing some weird nursing behaviors. I got help on the cord from the ped but I think I need someone to watch us nurse and am not making any progress on that issue at the moment.

Baby awake gotta go...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#1001 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Popping in to report another run. I'm glad I'm getting more consistent again. The spring weather (finally) helps.

I'm off to get Geneva now, but Towson, avoid any kind of slow stretching before you run. That tells your brain (then your muscles) to go into "relax" mode and it will hinder your pep & performance. You can look up "dynamic stretches" though, which are good to prime the pump. Or just do that light jog and call it good. Stretch afterward.

Kerc... I'm sorry If the signs all add up, maybe change is the right thing??

Plady -- it makes me so happy to think of you so happy! And so close!

Eks -- I hope the nursing thing is resolved soon!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#1002 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 PM

eks~ lots and lots of and : your way!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#1003 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Eks - for you and : for your DH!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#1004 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM

DrJen, today I ran 2.5 and did 40 min of weights. I have a schedule to do this week although I 'm not doing it. Eh, I'm just taking it easy and trying to heal the blood blister by Saturday. Do you feel that your new TM helped you prepare better for the half (not that you've ever been unprepared)?

Poppy, glad to hear you are on the mend. I'm amazed by you ladies that run with this stuff going on, torsed ovary, appendicitis, wowzers!!

Lisa
#1005 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Oh Eks! sending vibes your way, please keep us updated on DH and let him know we are thinking of him. I just posted (a post that I started this morning) about your apendicitis run and then I click send and read about Dh and DS. !!
#1006 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Eks - mama, I hope everything is okay with your dh. Anything like that in the first week is straight off the bat too much for a brand new mama to have to endure what with all those hormones freaking out. And the cord thing is just another thing you don't need to have to deal with! With dd1 I used calendula tincture with some goldenseal powder mixed in and it cleared up a gunky bit on her cord fast. Sending : to all of you!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#1007 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Katherine, I'm thinking of you and your family.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#1008 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM

RM - I did feel like having the new treadmill meant I ran more and trained harder, so that's got to be good, but since the winter has been so long and the weather so uninviting, I'm now thinking I let myself treadmill it a little too much. My last couple outdoor runs have just been yucky, and now I'm fretting that I should have trained more outside and that my legs won't be used to the outside running. I do run a little faster on the treadmill and at a 1% grade to try to make up for being indoors, so hopefully that's enough. I just really, really wanted to PR this time out. My goals are A. To finish, B. To run under 2:18:59 (previous best) and C. to run 10 minute miles (about 2:11:00) We'll see what I can do, I guess. I have to admit, I wish I was doing Indy again instead. I'm fretting about not having enough going on to keep me motivated and entertained. The course is out and back, and doesn't look real conducive to cheering squads. The website and registration info says nothing about headphones, so I think I'm going to load my mp3. I always only run with 1 ear bud on the rare occasions I use it, so it doesn't complete distract me and I think since I have no one to run with and am not sure how much to look at, I might need the extra boost. Ugh, sometimes I think training more means I'm stressing too much about the outcome!
#1009 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Good grief dingoes...knock it off...you must all be well and healthy!

Eks how is your dh?
Kerc - I'm sorry...perhaps change is good in this instance?

Thanks for all the hugs and sympathy - I'm doing better. I'm just tired of having so many divorce cases where parents want me to testify which is the better parent...which I CAN'T. Grrr.
#1010 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

drjen - totally! I am way more stressed this time, but I trained so much more seriously. I think you will do awesome. What if you planned someone to think about for each mile and maybe put them on your bib, or write their names on your hand? I've been contemplating that. At the same time there is always so many entertaining people to watch!

Oooo look at my icon...I think that's in place of Pink Princess
#1011 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 PM

eks - been thinking about you and am sorry to hear about your dh health issues. sending you lots of good healing and nursing vibes

kerc - i'm sorry, that sucks

bbm - that does sound like a tough situation for you

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#1012 of 1016 Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
actually bec, i think i did receive your check/order. i think i confused you with balancin1. i need to check the mail again but i can't make it downstairs right now to do it! don't worry, though because i am fairly certain it arrived and is in my dingo order stack!
Ok. Phew! Thanks!

Kerc - : I'm sorry. Even if it is a sign to move on, it still sucks!

Eks - I hope your DH is feeling better really soon! And, I hope Griffin gets his act together with the nursing! Can you describe what he's doing?

Lorijds - I totally got (and get) tons of inspiration from the Dingos!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#1013 of 1016 Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 AM

Hi, all. Newbie here, with a question for you! I am trying to figure out exactly what this thread is about. Are you all training for something, or is it just a general fitness (jogging/running/biking?) thread? There way too many pages for me to go through them all right now! But I'm curious. I've been becoming a LOT more active lately, and while I'm not terribly in-shape (okay, not much at all), I'm working really hard to get there. Mostly through jogging and biking. I've just been craving it so much, lately, and generally spending at least 2 hours a day doing ... something. Generally out on the trails, although I am still walking (fast!) more than I jog. But I'm getting there. I'm so happy that I am getting so into this!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#1014 of 1016 Old 05-01-2008, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome bjorker! The dingos are mostly runners, but our common goal is forward motion. We're training for everything from sanity to ultramarathons. Mostly it's a really cool group of women!

UNIVERSE, LISTEN UP!
BACK OFF
Back off of poppy, eksdad, ERC, Po7's DD, Chelsea's mom.

Just back off.

No more illnesses. No more getting turned down for jobs. No more getting bit by stray animals. No more divorce drama. No more snow. No more Waiting for Enell. Just STOP. We need a break and we need a run.
#1015 of 1016 Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cooking for uber nerds!

I'm actually tempted.
#1016 of 1016 Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version