April showers bring....muddy dingoes! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
MB..yeah!..I have been thinking the last few days we have to have a local dingos run before it gets too hot!
I'll meet up with you guys.... I'm POSITIVE That I will not be able to keep up. DO you guys run with or w/o kids? I can meet up with a kids (I do have a jogger) MWF 9-2, or w/o kids T TH 9:30-12

I don't think that I know MommaBelle (do I???) I know Beth and Paige

LMK!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#122 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
bec

Goodluck Kerc DH!

Orthodics - I know mine are meant for a certain amount of trimming. So, if they are sticking out of the shoe, can you trim them? Mine are Footlevelers (need new ones, in fact).

RR: I ran my 7 mile tempo run with very little problems! I did need to walk a little of the cool down, but I don't think that is a problem. I did the tempo part just fine (except for the part of it where I accidentally knocked the emergency shut off on the treadmill.: That doesn't happen outside!), though, so I feel back on track with the training! 3 miles tomorrow and 11 on Saturday!

So, any opinions on a what kind of bike I should buy? Is a cheapish (around $200) Schwinn acceptable for someone who has never done any serious biking, and hasn't owned a bike since she could drive at 16?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#123 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
They're fantastic! I go to the Denver store, but they also have one in Boulder (obviously) and Colorado Springs (a little closer for you!). Boulder Running Company

I would totally be up for a West coast meet-up. And actually, I really want to get down to NM one of these days. It's been on my list of trips I want to do since we moved out here 7 years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Gaye and/or Paige -- up for a meet up in Colorado Springs in late June? The only catch is I'll be without a car. Anyone else?
I can do Colorado Springs in June - do you know when you're coming out? Conference or vacation? Maybe we can get a few other SW Dingos to drive out? How far is CS from you, Monica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikitaUT View Post
We have another Amber Alert here. She's been missing since yesterday, and everyone is assuming the worst. They are already comparing it to Destiny Norton. I'm totally praying they find the little girl and she is okay. This hits so close to home now that I'm a mom, you know? And close to home pretty literally, too. Yet another tragedy a mile or two from my house.
Ugh. I hate those. My brain just seizes on them and starts obsessing. One of those things that I really try not to think about with my kiddos.

Just had an awesome but painful acupuncture appointment. Seems to be helping. Don't know if I mentioned it, but my acupuncturist is big time Xterra athlete. Just took first place in some event in either Utah or Colorado last month. I'm a bit in awe of her, but I like it that she really encourages me to keep working out and to start running again as soon as I can handle it. Everyone else seems to just shake their heads and roll their eyes when I talk about going back to running!
#124 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
So, any opinions on a what kind of bike I should buy? Is a cheapish (around $200) Schwinn acceptable for someone who has never done any serious biking, and hasn't owned a bike since she could drive at 16?
Hey Bec - I don't think there is anything wrong w/ a cheap bike if you are going to be doing just very minimal riding about town... BUT sometimes a big issue with the cheap bikes is not the bike itself but that the components are very cheapy, plastic and then either you end up w/ a bike that it is not enjoyable to ride bc something doesn't work right or spending money down the road to replace the components... also, if you are not good at fixing things on the bike yourself, that can be a pain!

It may be worth a little extra to get a bike that is slightly higher in quality...

My DH has one of these for his commuting and he loves it... The new versions are probably more than you want to spend, but I've seen several of the fx line almost brand new on craigslist for very cheap! When I get around to replacing my hybrid/commuter bike, I'm definitely going to get another of this type for me.

DH used to race on a Schwinn frame (in the 80s...) but he doesn't like Schwinns now bc most of the entry level bikes have poor quality components, etc now...

so, I'm not the expert that some on here, like Mandy, are; but that is my 2c... HTH!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#125 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

I am rolling with laughter here, but I've got a sick sense of humor....
#126 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Bec, I would pretty much say what Callie said... mostly I would ask what you are going to use the bike for? Since I someday want to get into racing in terms of du/tri, as well as going on century rides, half-centuries, etc., I got an entry level Specialized road bike. If I knew I was never going to want to race or do really long rides I might have gone with something a little cheaper; however, I do love my bike and the shop it came from (there is the bonus of good service, tips, etc. from a bike shop that you don't get from a big box store).

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#127 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
I am rolling with laughter here, but I've got a sick sense of humor....
very funny, I liked that too. If only my kids weren't readin gyet, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#128 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM

quick question as i think about my 10k on saturday: how much do you eat the morning before a race and how long do you give yourself to digest it before the start gun?

i've only run 5ks and i usually do 1 slice of toast w/peanut butter and a banana. think i'll keep it the same, but i can never figure out how long before i need to eat and sometimes wait too late, making the run uncomfortable.

thanks!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#129 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Bec -- I had one of those cheap (200 bucks) bikes for about 2 years and it stunk. I never wanted to ride it. So when it came time to buy another bike we ended up with me on dh's old one and dh buying a used mid-grade schwinn (i think). I'm not a gear nut, but the extra 300 bucks in new purchase price might actually go to something when it comes to bikes. I ride "rusty" as in "rusty but trusty" -- the bike dh bought in 1995 for commuting to graduate school. Everything except the frame has been replaced at some time or the other (the gears thanks to the bike being stripped outside the library while dh was working late one saturday night). But rusty is in fact trusty and she rides pretty dang well. (I should note, I named her after dh gave her over).

Another thing to look at bec is gear shifting. Actually go to the store, ride the bike and shift the gears. If you don't like how the shifter works you won't like it when you get it home. And then you won't like to ride the bike (see above note about cheap bike).

And finally: don't forget a new helmet while you're there!

dh came home and said everything went ok, but not fabulous. His "teaching demonstration" ran over (i predicted that given he had 15 slides for a 15 minute talk), he had no idea what to say when they asked about the hot topic of "assessment" and his comment was, "they aren't hiring me based upon my interview, they'll hire me because they like me." There are the other four candidates next week and then hopefully we'll know one way or the other shortly thereafter.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#130 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Poppy - I try to eat about 1.5-2 hrs before.... definitely eat whatever you are used to and that you know you will digest okay!

kerc - : for them liking him then! They do say that 'fit' is everything...

Yall - I am SO SORE today! it is from the PT exercises yesterday... OMG.... I guess it just goes to show how weak those spots really were :

#131 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
kate-mom - did you send the art? i haven't received an email to the address i sent you
i did - my email says it went through - i'll send the links in a pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
quick question as i think about my 10k on saturday: how much do you eat the morning before a race and how long do you give yourself to digest it before the start gun?

i've only run 5ks and i usually do 1 slice of toast w/peanut butter and a banana. think i'll keep it the same, but i can never figure out how long before i need to eat and sometimes wait too late, making the run uncomfortable.

thanks!
i usually eat in the car on the way - and try to get to the race an hour to an hour and a half before. so eating would be between 1 1/2 hr to 2 hrs before. for a 10K or longer, i will suck down a gel 15 min before - but i have blood sugar issues and will have problems without the burst. your experience may vary!
#132 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM

OMG, do the lingering april fools antics this mean my ddddc disappeared before boston?!?!!

bad BAD karma!
#133 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Bec - i agree with everything that the others have said. A $200 bike is not likely to fit you very well or work very well in the long run. it's also going to depend on what you want to do. If you want to cruise around the neighborhood and ride with your kids, you could spend $350-400 and get a cool, funky cruiser with 1-3 gears that will make you feel joyful when you ride it. like being 9 years old again. If you think you might want to try touring or ride in some low-key tris - look for a hybrid or something. you can find some awesome deals on last years bikes. or craigslist. or bike swaps. just be sure, if you're buying something used that it's in good condition. i can't tell you how many bike swap purchases come in here in terrible shape and it costs the people many more times the $$ to get the bike in safe, operating condition.

that's just my opinion.

speaking of bikes. i've spent my afternoon in the bike shop pricing parts and continuing to get everything organized. K's new 16" wheel bike is here, he's going to be so excited.
#134 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 PM

oh poppy. i generally eat an egg and cheese sandwhich on whole wheat bread about 1.5 hours before the start. sometimes i have to eat it in the car to get my timing right.
#135 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Orthotics question: I've noticed that my orthotics are pushing through the mesh on sides of my running shoes. I tried a totally ghetto taping job to try to combat it but now they're just pushing the tape out too. Any suggestions?
Hmm...that's weird and should not be happening! They probably just need to be trimmed a little, but you may want to doublecheck with your orthotist. It may also be that your shoes don't fit well with an orthotic in them (as I learned this weekend!). Probably just need a trim, though!

RE: bikes~ One of the best pieces of advice given to me when I was bike shopping was that the most expensive bike is not necessarily the best bike. The best bike for you is the bike that fits you well. Fit is really important, and if you find a frame that fits you well, you can mess with the components (upgrading or downgrading) to get a bike that will work for you, in your price range. I had a hard time with fit because I'm unusually shaped for a woman...I have short legs and a long torso, while most women have the opposite. So a lot of the women's bikes just didn't fit me well at all. I was also told that getting a slightly more expensive bike would probably save me money in the long run, as I wouldn't need or want to be upgrading my components within a year. I bought my bike (mid-entry level Specialized) with the view that this bike should last me for a very very long time. Definitely find a good bike shop with knowledgeable sales people and good customer service. My shop has a guarantee on bikes that if you get out and ride it and it's just not working well for you, they'll exchange it for a bike that does.

re: prerace food~ I'm still trying to work this out a little bit myself. I'm not a big breakfast eater and I usually have some butterflies, so I try not to eat too much. Usually a bar of some sort (larabar or powerbar) and a banana and a Stonyfield Farms yogurt smoothie. I usually eat in the car on the way as well. I'm a little nervous for the half, wondering if I should try to get more fuel in my tank before the start. I just don't want to have that brick feeling in my stomach while I'm trying to run, kwim? I like the idea of downing some gel right before, I might have to try that...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#136 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM

tjs - as long as you fuel and hydrate well the day before, you probably wouldn't need more than you're already eating for the half.... I ate an english muffin w/ jelly and a 1/2 cup of yogurt before the mary and then took a gel 1/2 hr before the start and that worked well for me...

#137 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Hi mamas....just posting to let you all know I have not fallen off the face of the planet.

DD...the 6yo with all of the other issues broke a tooth on Monday. We went to her regular dentist on Tuesday who did an x-ray and refered us to a pediactric dentist. $$$$$$ $$$$$$$

Have I got bad karma or what? We really need to catch a break here.

On the good side, i have been doing awesome with my diet and running. I'm down 6lbs. I ran 5 today.

I'll try to catch up soon. :
#138 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Ugh-Po7 for your dd. What a rough time you're having. Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome!

Prerace food-For 5 or 10k I eat an Access bar, usually in the car on the way. I might also (or instead of) eat whole wheat toast w/p'nut butter. I always drink a packet of Emer-gen C before a race or long run. I don't know if it really helps, but I think it's a psychological think for me.

I am having a lot of trouble getting regular runs in right now. There is just always something going on. : SIL and I have plans to go tomorrow night, so : that it really happens. She also invited me to meet her every morning at 5am to do 3.5. Ummm, I don't think I've reached that level of desperate yet.

I got a haircut today and nobody noticed. I'm so bummed. I even had salon hair at church tonight and not a single comment. Eek-do you think that means it looks really bad? Surely dh would have said something if it did...

Gigi-are you going to do the Mayor's Challenge at the end of May? PM me for the link. I'm pretty sure the other ATL Dingoes are doing it. It's a 5k or a 10k and there's a fun kids' race (1 mile) that my kiddos LOVE. Of course the best part is the yummy pancake breakfast afterward.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#139 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with others, I wouldn't really go for anything too low quality. It can make a big difference in your ride. Can you get something used or last year's model?

Kate~Mom: Are we on for the marathon?

rr: Did 40 minutes on the treadmill. It was supposed to be a tempo run; I think I did a tempo run, but I'm not entirely clear on what one is!

I MUST buy running shoes. Any recs?
#140 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM

if i can just get a draft done of this 'we've moved' postcard i can relax and do nothing. i just need to do this. help me do this.

my swim clinic was great tonight. i worked really hard, but i'm still so slow. it took me 13:55 to do 500m. sooooo s.l.o.w.
#141 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM

OK. I read through. Shwew.

On April Fools...the Social Committee at work put Post-its under everyone's mouse. They got me. But I caught it before calling IT.

I ran 3 this AM. I feel good about that. I am slow, but it feels good again. Packed clothes and gear, but have not run from work yet. Work is coming down hard. Today was truly nutso, but we managed to make all the deadlines (that, btw, only certifiably insanely stupid people would seriously hold us to) for the day. I did about 2.5 days' work today, without OT. My head might explode yet. Two more days like this one yet, too. Insane. Hoping next week shapes up some.

Reb is running 12mi for March of Dimes, btw. Link to her blog from mine. She has a button. She wants me to run it with her--but I can't do more than 3 miles now, and I have no time to train, between work, kids, farm and dh out of state for another 2.5 weeks. I also have a trade show that weekend, and even if I don't have to leave until the following day, it would probably be BAD to run 12 miles on no training before a 16-hour trade show day, right?

Shanti wherever you are...I dreamed of you this week. I think you were a beacon of peace in a tempest of a dream.

Love, yall. Thanks for the vibes. Keep em coming. I am surviving. AND the goats didn't bust out today. Sweet.
#142 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have tried posting a few times this past week but I don't think any of them worked. My mom developed pneumonia over the weekend and it was pretty tense. She has recoveed, but OMG - when I was with her, I could not beleive how frail she has become. She can't weigh 80 pounds any more. I am amazed she had the stength to recover - but then again, she has always been a pretty strong person. I lived the weekend wondering if this was it and preparing my children for the possibility of her dying while letting them know if the medicine worked, she would be okay. And one of her oldest friends died suddenly - that was a pretty emotional funeral for me. Fortunately a few friends unexpectedly got in touch too, which was just what I needed. I was beginning to wonder if I have done something to offend everyone I know or if I was just wearing an invisibility cloak even I couldn't see - but it seems to be off now It looks like spring really is coming
#143 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Jo - - you just sent shivers down my spine because I just dreamed of you the other night - wow!
#144 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Kate~Mom: Are we on for the marathon?
let me confirm with my uncle - the last thing i want to do on a september sunday, after a marathon, is drive back to my parents' in the city on the LIE.

do you have a relatively neutral foot? if you do, with a somewhat high arch, i can recommend a few shoes, otherwise, i'm no help.
#145 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
bec

I do hear what everyone is saying (even though I wanted you all to say, sure! It will be a great bike!). I am wanting something to train with, go on longer rides, but no rough terrain, pretty sure no racing, etc. Here's the one that I was looking at. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5CS2Y It seems to get good reviews, and the gears looked really nice at the store, and it fit me pretty well, too. So, now I'm torn. If I have to spend another several hundred dollars, it probably means I will go another season or two without one.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#146 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Gigi-are you going to do the Mayor's Challenge at the end of May? PM me for the link. I'm pretty sure the other ATL Dingoes are doing it. It's a 5k or a 10k and there's a fun kids' race (1 mile) that my kiddos LOVE. Of course the best part is the yummy pancake breakfast afterward.
I just googled it
http://my.georgia.org/net/calendar/d...7108.0.26.3011

it looks like it's a 10K... I'm not ready for a 10K, LOL. But LMK if there are other 5K's coming up

n/m, this link says it's a 5K too.. woo hoo, I think I will register!
http://www.alpharetta.ga.us/index.php?p=287

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#147 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Bec - I have a biased opinion because of the order in which I obtained my bikes - road bike first, then mountain bike. But be warned that if you leave the knobby tires on the mountain bike, your speed on roads is going to be slow in comparison to a road bike. In general my experience is that it takes more work on your part to cover the same distance. Now, you can put slicks on a mountain bike, and that will speed you up some... but I think if I was not ever going to hit a trail, I'd look for something that comes with road tires of some type. Maybe a comfort bike or some type of hybrid? Anyway, just my 2c, YMMV.

Oh, and I didn't look at the specs on the Schwinn enough to get the details, but my road bike does have Shimano components, probably lower end, and so far so good, FWIW.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#148 of 1016 Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
let me confirm with my uncle - the last thing i want to do on a september sunday, after a marathon, is drive back to my parents' in the city on the LIE.

do you have a relatively neutral foot? if you do, with a somewhat high arch, i can recommend a few shoes, otherwise, i'm no help.
Actually, that is just the kind of foot I have!

I would offer up my house, but I am really hoping it is sold by then. If it is, I'm not sure where we will be. Let me know if it works out at your uncles. It should be a beautiful run.

Quote:
I do hear what everyone is saying (even though I wanted you all to say, sure! It will be a great bike!). I am wanting something to train with, go on longer rides, but no rough terrain, pretty sure no racing, etc. Here's the one that I was looking at. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5CS2Y It seems to get good reviews, and the gears looked really nice at the store, and it fit me pretty well, too. So, now I'm torn. If I have to spend another several hundred dollars, it probably means I will go another season or two without one.
Can you check Craig's list. Honestly, if you only plan to ride on the road, buy a road bike. They are so much faster and fun to ride on the road. Duathlons are great fun too. I love mountain biking myself, but find it hard to find the time.
#149 of 1016 Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Bec, I agree on the road bike for your purposes. I did a few events (one Du, on Sprint Tri) on a Mountain Bike and I swore up and down a stack of bibles that I would Never. Do. That. Again. Last year I found my perfect, meant-to-be road bike on Craigslist and it's been a dream. I had my Uncle look it over (a huge bike geek) before I bought it, and I recommend having someone you trust do the same w/ used before you hand over any money.

Maybe someday I'll want to go guts n' glory on mountain trails, but for me I just love the peacefulness and speed of the open road.

Bear in mind I say all this having only touched my bike since August in order to take it to the shop for a tuneup. Which reminds me... why haven't they called me to pick it up yet???!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#150 of 1016 Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 AM

s&s - i wear either the mizuno wave alchemy or the brooks adrenaline. i prefer the mizuno, but they tweeked the design with the latest revamp and the heel area is just too large - i have to do this weird lacing thing to keep my heel down. it's still the best fitting shoe for my foot.
i race in the saucony grid fastwitch endurance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page