Muddy Dingoes bring May Flowers! - Page 34 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a day. I found it in me to finish 10 miles. Went out for 5, came back after 10--and talked about what a great choice it was for the rest of the day. I'm really trying to make it crystal-clear to dh that if he's not actively supportive of my running, then it's already a tough thing to keep doing. And if he throws roadblocks up for me (especially on weekends), he's thwarting my success. We had a good day. Don't get done what we wanted to, but still had fun and frankly, that work's not going anywhere.

Probably try some walking tomorrow. Want to keep exercising, but I know the knees and ankles need to recover.

Dewlady. Your race sounds awesome.

OK time to get those kids into bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 AM
bec

Thanks, Linda!

Dewlady - Great time!

I want to run with Katie and Emily. They have both expressed interest. I'm going to start them after school lets out, I think. Katie is 7 and Emily is 4.5, so I think they could both handle a mile or two. They both ran the 1/2 mile back from their dance recital dress rehearsal today, and that was out of sheer exuberance.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 AM

Yay, Dewlady! That is such a great time -- way to rock your race! I loved your description of the event. I remember watching the first wave go out when I did the Danskin Triathlon in 2001. The first wave is always pink-capped breast cancer survivors. I sat on the beach and wept at their courage and zest to be ALIVE.

I've discussed the Marathon idea w/ Dan... he's in for it if I am. Basically, he doesn't really care -- it's my deal if I want to do it. I'd have to start the 16-week plan in two weeks, and luckily the REALLY long mid-week runs don't start until after my clinical is over in August. And then I'm off until two weeks before the marathon, so really... this is kind of the perfect time in my life to do this. My right knee is the only thing holding me back, but if I crosstrain on my inline skates some and strengthen my quads & adductors, I think I could be Okay...

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Just popping in to say wtg (and welcome!) dewlady! Sounds like a great race! I women's races, they're so inspirational.

I dragged my butt to the Y and got a good swim in. A few drills, made sure I can cover my distance for next week's tri in a not too ridiculously slow amount of time, and threw in a couple of sprint intervals at the end just for the heck of it. I felt so much better once I got in the pool, I'm glad I went!

Planning a long-ish bike ride in the morning. My first ever ride on my road bike without pulling the trailer! I think I'm going to challenge myself and see what I can do...I want to get at least 25 miles (the distance I need to do for the olympic tri in July) but I wouldn't mind pushing it up above 30 if I'm feeling good. I may even try to throw in a brick, since I can without having to unhitch the chariot, convert it to jogger, and hope DS stays happy!

No pics yet...too tired. Hopefully tomorrow! Off to bed for a blissful night of UNINTERRUPTED sleep! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 AM

Dewlady - That's a great time!

Jo - Grats on the 10 miles! I'd love to meet up with you sometime this summer. I was just at Bay Beach with my nephew and his class on Wednesday. It was such a great time.

Well ladies.....

it's about time I get to tell you all this.....

I'm going to have a baby! I got a positive test today. You are my first online friends to know because I had to share it with my Dingo sisters first. My family knows already. I was having a BBQ for my DH tonight for his going away to summer camp, so it quickly became a I'm pregnant party. My MIL didn't believe me and asked to see my tests! I think I'm still in shock!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 AM

JenLove!!!!! Woohoo! And Woot! Woot! and ::: !!! That's so exciting!!! January 09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
oh and i have horrible allergies right now :
allergy medicine makes me foggy and lazy, but going without medicine is so very miserable. hope this passes soon!
I HATE allergies! I used to have them so bad I wanted to die. I hope they pass quickly. Dh has been suffering too and seems to like Zyrtec, fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
poppy~ on the upside, its fun to make progress while running again. When I've had to be out of it for a while, it's nice to start slow and see my times and my mileage get better as I get fit again.
There's the bright side for ya!

DrJen! Yeehaw! You'll do great! That's so exciting, I've always been enticed by the Team in Training idea. Don't forget to pass the hat this way when you need to.

Tomorrow I'll be passing out waters and gatorades for our little marathon here. Maybe some of you marathoners would like to come and do it next year? I'm far from being able but I'm definitely thinking about it. I think I'll probably have to do the half at least. Just for self-esteem! But tomorrow I'll be just helping out with the girls.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 04:27 AM

JENLOVE WILL BE JENMAMAAAAAAAA!

Congratulations, dear woman! Thanks for sharing with us so soon so we can get right to the business of sending lots of love vibes and planning all sorts of good, sneaky stuff behind your back

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Woooooo Hoooooo JenLove!!!!!!!!
Congratulations : : :

Plady ~ a marathon, or even a half, by your new home sounds just delicious . Have fun out on the course today, supporting the runners.

Jooj ~ so glad you made it out for your run. My husband is kind of the same, all supportive in theory, but kind of grumpy when it actually comes time for me to head out the door.

tjsmama ~ have a great ride/run! By the way, how long is your longest ride for your Olympic distance training? The plan I'm using has me riding up to 50 miles, which seems excessive to me. Plus, I'm pretty sure talking my DH into watching all three children while I ride for 3+ hours on a Saturday or Sunday just isn't going to happen !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 AM

Congrats JenLove!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congrats JenLove!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:05 AM

CONGRATULATIONS, JENLOVE!!!!! :::

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Congratulations JenLove!!! This news makes my morning! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Congratulations, dear woman! Thanks for sharing with us so soon so we can get right to the business of sending lots of love vibes and planning all sorts of good, sneaky stuff behind your back
: These Dingos are SNEAKY.

Congrats Dewlady on a great race, and welcome!

And a big woo-hoo to Megs and DrJen w/ newly decided marathoning... can't wait to support you and hear all about your training!

Gaye, glad you survived the party and I hope that you feel well-rested this morning. Can't wait to see the pictures!

DD calling, must go...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM

so much good news around here! it's very uplifting!

jenlove!!

::
that's so exciting!!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Congratulations JenLove!!!!::: That is so exciting!!

RR - I ran a little over 5 yesterday pushing the jog stroller with my brand new 5 year old in it. Wind + hills + big kid in jogger = really tired arms! Actually, though, would have been a great run if I didn't have to keep stopping to answer the phone because I'm on call.

NRR - my baby is 5 years old already. My last baby. We had presents yesterday, but I didn't get her cake finished so friends are coming over this afternoon for cake and to play outside a little bit. The cake is a pink sea monster - I'll have to put a picture up for you guys.

Important question: Any good ideas of what to do with my almost 11 yr old ds for the summer? The local Y used to have day camp every year, but they aren't this year. He really doesn't want to go to the baby sitter's (where he is the oldest by 5 years - there are 8 kids 6 and under) and staying home with his sister is an option, but the first day (Friday) we tried it he called me twice because he was bored! I'm thinking I have to come up with an activity schedule for him. He's going to restart piano lessons with me, and he just got a new model boat to build, now what else can I schedule for him?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congratulations JenLove!!!! :

I now have two sick little girls So far so good with ds,but we'll see how long that lasts.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 AM

Jen love!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM

doctorjen: couldn't figure out the "new 5 yr old" thing untill you mentioned a birthday! haha

shantimama: sorry you have 2 sick ones! that is always hard.

I feel really great today, and I am wondering if anyone take the time to share with me some tips to improve my time for the next 5K. I found another one locally that I am gonna sign up for on the last weekend in june, so any training tips would be amazing...I really don't know what I am doing, I just run here and there and then stretch and go. meaning anything you have tip wise will help me. I am gonna run with dh who never has done a 5K before and our 16 yr old niece who lives with us. She was a cross country star last year and took a year off from the pressure. her last 5k time was a 20! and she also has been smoking and wants the encouragement to stop so we are all in this one together!
I love chatting with other mamas who are out there doing this already, thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:53 PM

I have one sick one as well. EK woke up w/ a 100.8 fever at 8:45. She's back asleep so we'll just keep an eye on it and see where it goes, but that doesn't seem to bode well to have a morning fever.

On the upside, I am getting laundry done and just vacuumed the whole house except for our bedroom.

And I meant to say, I have "RR" to report from yesterday... I did a 50 minute walk, with 40 minutes of it brisk, pushing DS in the stroller. I actually sweated and breathed hard. The heat probably had something to do with it but still... when I got home and my leg muscles were twitching and everything, and I sat down to stretch, I felt more like myself than I've felt in nearly a year.

I still do not have a new running bra but I did at least go get measured at Vicky's yesterday. The running store is not open on Sun. so it will have to wait until sometime this week.

Shanti, healing vibes to your family.

Belated birthday wishes to DrJen's DD and Gaye's DS!!

Oh - re: allergies... is it just really bad this year? My poor DH is having a terrible time. He normally is on Claritin in the spring anyway, but this year it's like it's not helping him at all. We still have pollen on the windshields and it seems like it's been that way for longer than usual.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Congratulations JenLove!!! This news makes my morning! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!
Well you all made my morning! Thank you for all of the support.. I am sure I'll need it.

Poppy ~ You can take me off of the list for the 50 mile relay. Since I haven't been running distances like that, I don't want to push it that much. I am going to be their support driver now though, and hopefully I can get out and run a few miles with someone.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM

How does a new thread for June get started?

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 06-01-2008, 01:06 PM

JenLove -congratulations on the pregnancy.
Protein, lots of protein to combat morning sickness. However, I hope your morning sickness will be minimal.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM

jenlove~: : : Congratulations! How exciting!!!

dewlady~ Speedwork! I joined a group that does track workouts and it has helped me SO much! I bet you could find a group near you if you look around or ask at your local running store...there are several here and they meet at different times. OR, you could just look for some track workouts online and do them on your own, but I find I need the motivation of doing it with a group. I've dropped from running a 10+ minute mile when I started doing track workouts in February to running an 8:30 pace in my 5k a few weeks ago. It helps a ton!

eks~YAY for rr, of any kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
tjsmama ~ have a great ride/run! By the way, how long is your longest ride for your Olympic distance training? The plan I'm using has me riding up to 50 miles, which seems excessive to me. Plus, I'm pretty sure talking my DH into watching all three children while I ride for 3+ hours on a Saturday or Sunday just isn't going to happen !
Training plan? What's that? : Seriously, I've been meaning to get on some sort of scheduled plan, but with all my races over the past two months, I just haven't. I think I'll put that on my agenda for tonight, because I KNOW I need to get some structured training for this. And I need to do it now, the race is only 6 or 7 weeks away. : Of course, then we go to Ohio in a week and that will blow my training all to hell. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
How does a new thread for June get started?
Somebody starts it and links to it here. I would do it, but I just can't think of any kind of clever thread title.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
18 mile bike ride with C (2 miles pushing my bike home after the crank ceased up). I made her hungry and thirsty, so it was a good ride.

Now I gotta fix my bike. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
JenLove -congratulations on the pregnancy.
Protein, lots of protein to combat morning sickness. However, I hope your morning sickness will be minimal.
Giving birth combated morning sickness for me. : But yeah, getting enough protein, keeping the blood sugar even help most people. Morning exercise actually did the most for me. Let's hope you have just enough ickies to make you confident in the stickiness, and nothing more. :
Old 06-01-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Jen - Congratulations!! The only time I felt good with E during the first four months was when I was running. I think I actually upped my mileage some days because of that. Yay for you!! Usually by month 4 though they're gone, some are lucky and it's sooner.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Old 06-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
I'm going to have a baby! I got a positive test today. You are my first online friends to know because I had to share it with my Dingo sisters first. My family knows already. I was having a BBQ for my DH tonight for his going away to summer camp, so it quickly became a I'm pregnant party. My MIL didn't believe me and asked to see my tests! I think I'm still in shock!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!

User Tag List