Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GOOD LUCK RACERS!!!!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!
#122 of 1016 Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Last check in before tomorrow's tri.

Had to laugh because there was a small story in the weekly paper and the tri was described as a mock triathlon. Suggestion was made at the packet pick-up that maybe we should invite the author to the race and see how he/she does.

Had office hours earlier today and just kind of took it easy, packing up my gear, thinking the whole thing through, nice dinner, quiet evening.

It is so nice to hear the good race reports.

Thanks to everyone who posted encouragement. Good weather, sunshine, and pleasant temperatures to all the other racers.

Linda

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#123 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
:

RM and sugarandsun You two are some seriously fast running mamas!!!
AWESOME RACES - WAY TO GO!!!

GOOD LUCK RACERS TOMORROW!
mamabeth - Disney's Women Run the World 15K - May 4
babybugmama and jgmommo -Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 4
mothercat - supersprint tri - May 4
towsonmama - Frederick Half-Marathon - May 4
tjsmama - Colorado Half Marathon - May 4
doctorjen - Palos Bank Half Marathon - May 4
Good luck everyone!!!

Good job RM and SugarAndSun!! Looking forward to the reports!!

No time to post, but wanted to say Hi as I was thinking of you all. We got a kitten today. Dh is being a royal pill. Although, he might say the same about me. Tomorrow morning we are doing a 30 min. bike together and later I have to get in 4 mile run. Looking forward to the run. I need some time alone in a big way!
#124 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 AM

GO RACERS GO!

can't wait to hear all the race reports! good luck ladies!

mandy - aw, josie girl. i feel the same about nau - never bought before because of the price tag, but the stuff is really good.

RM - you don't call yourself "runningmommy" for nothing! wowza

sugarandsun - you too are one speedy woman!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#125 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

At 5 3/4, still, DD wet her pants 3 times this weekend. I should have predicted it. She learned to ride her bike and started reading chapter books. Brain working on something else = no bladder-to-brain connection.

eksmom, how is Emma Kate doing, by the way?
#126 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Back from the Tri and reporting in.

This was a timed, but no chip, tri. Official times will be up later today but best guess at this point is just under 1:30.

The weather was a little chilly (42 degrees at start) but in the low 60's by the time we finished. I backstroked the swim and was the last person out in my wave, but made up time on the bike. I thought the swim would be the easiest for me, but it turns out the bike was. The bike was so worth the money.
The transition from bike to run was the worst part. I walked the first 1/4 mile, then ran/walked the rest. I just couldn't breathe or get a rhythm going. We finished on the track at the high school and somewhere in there I was determined I was not going to drag across the finish line. Found my kick and passed two people on the final turn, finishing strong. Placed 51 out of 61.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement. One more personal battle won.

Linda

#127 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Way to go, mothercat!!! Do you have pics?

Geo-M still occasionally has accidents. It is so frustrating, especially since most of hers are poops. :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#128 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 12:33 PM

The club which sponsored the event will have pics up later today. I'll link to them when available.

#129 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM

oh my!!! check out the weekend racers!!! wow!!! what an impressive list of women!!!

Runningmommy - Indy Mini Marathon - May 3
its_our_family - Flying Pig 5K - May 3
SugarAndSun - Brooklyn Half - May 3

YEAHH!!!!!

things are going better... back more for more...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#130 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
oh my!!! check out the weekend racers!!! wow!!! what an impressive list of women!!!

Runningmommy - Indy Mini Marathon - May 3
its_our_family - Flying Pig 5K - May 3
SugarAndSun - Brooklyn Half - May 3

YEAHH!!!!!

things are going better... back more for more...
It's a big list with big distances! You ladies rock!

Lofty

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#131 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm here! It started out magnificently. We arrived at the start with five minutes to spare and inched our way forward until we were in the 1:45 to 2:15 area. But then five minutes passes, ten and even fifteen. Word finally makes it to our area that a fire happened at mile 20 (didn't impact us half marathoners) and they had to re-route the marathon race (longer !). Finally the gun blows and it was REALLY loud. We started off at a pretty easy pace, I'm not really sure what the first mile was, but somewhere between 8:30 and 9. We pick it up from here and for several miles I was hitting 8:15 consistently. Seriously on the nose, just 8:15 boom, and the next and next. I was feeling the love and it felt GOOD! Then I hit the hills. Oh wait, did I say hill...I'm sorry I meant pig mountain. It just went on and on and on. This was about mile 6 or 7, I'm not sure. But the first mile I think I dropped to an 8:45, by the second one (yes, it's goes on for mileS) I was at a 9:15. We continue up, up, up. At around 8 1/2 to 8 3/4 the divide for the half vs. full splits. As you get closer the workers are getting more anxious as they holler, "half to the left, full to the right!" It was weird to turn to the left, in my warped mind I felt like I was cheating (some of you may recall I did the full three years ago) and then down hill. And I mean down hill...oh yeah, down pig mountain! At first, I have this warped feeling like I'm cheating again getting to go down hill. Then I just tell myself I'm being ridiculous and start using the damn hill to make up for some time I lost going up the damn thing! I don't know what my next mile was, but it was really fast! When I hit mile ten I started plotting and planning on how to try and get in under 1:50. I figured it out and hit the next mile between 8:15 and 8:30. I'm down to 2.1. And I don't know why but I start having doubt. My legs are burning. I'm tired and this damn mountain just isn't stopping! Down Down Down. Finally it levels out but I'm feeling it. I have maybe 1 1/2 left to go and I think I psyched myself out and I felt myself slow down. At one mile to go I'm in cruise mode, but still pushing as hard as I can. Did I mention a few times I was pushing hard enough I felt like I was going to puke? At least I'm not feeling that now. Until I round a corner and some girl is along the side puking. I quickly look away as I can be something of a sympathy puker. And start pushing it. I have one mile to go. I wish that I had looked at my watch. My final time? 1:50.21. Twenty one freakin' seconds from my goal. I think I could have eked (eeked) out 21 less seconds. But...that's the fire that will drive my next half. I will use this aggravation to fuel my training and finally make myself do the speedwork I need to do to get faster.

runningmommy - we should try to do a 1/2 together sometime. I think you are just enough faster than me that I would work my ass off to keep up with you.

A great race!

Oh and side note...dd got up with me at 4am (E nursed and I couldn't get back to sleep and neither could dd) and ate bagels with me by the bathroom light.
#132 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
A 1:47 half marathon "just for fun" while sick. :
Aww shucks, t hanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
:But RM has already gotten home from hers! : for you RM! And lovely hair, I love the color too!
Thanks for the cheers on the race and the hair!!! Glad you are home and love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
oh and a super cute hair do!
Thank you!! makes my day !

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
runningmommy - we should try to do a 1/2 together sometime. I think you are just enough faster than me that I would work my ass off to keep up with you.

A great race!
Great Race BBM!! Love your report! I'm not faster, I just ran a 1:48 (official time) half. I LOVE the idea of us runnign a half together, lets make that happen!!! Great job today!

GO SUNDAY RACERS!! If you're not done already!! Hope you are having a great race, and if you are done, I hope that you had a great time runnign your races!!!

Lisa
#133 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Totally Lisa! I know we are planning on the airforce half in september and then I'm sure there are others. I would love to do one with you!!!
#134 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Holy moly, y'all are some speedy ladies!!!

I just got back from my half and it totally kicked me in the patutie. I'm not sure what happened. I think I started out too fast and never really had a chance to recover. I seriously wondered if I was going to finish a few times. Not a mojo-flavored run for sure. That said, I feel proud that I finished in 2:01. My "stars in alignment" goal was to finish under 2 hours but that definitely wasn't meant to be today. I'm chalking most of it up to being so new at racing and still trying to figure out what works best for me. I'm realizing this sounds kind of negative--it must not have been too bad because it cemented my decision to start training for the local marathon in October. Glutton for punishment, I guess!

Can't wait to hear everyone else's reports!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#135 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM

towsonmama - my report will make you feel better in the speed department!

So, my goals for this race were the usual 3-fold A. Finish (definitely do-able) B. Set a PR (2:18:59 previous, and I trained specifically to do better, so would take some work, but should be able to do it) and C. 10 minute miles, or 2:11:00 (this was my pie-in-the-sky goal that I didn't think was attainable.)

My race report should start yesterday. My oldest dd and I drove to packet pick up, and then to my oldest ds's college. He is giving a french horn graded performance for school next week and I am playing the piano for him, so needed to practice. We had a good practice, and then left him behind, taking his girlfriend instead, and went 8th graduation dress shopping for dd. We found actually 2 great dresses, in the first store we went too! Ds met us for supper then, and it was a great pre-race meal (pizza for them, pasta for me.) We laughed so hard my abs were aching as a we had a very insecure waitress who kept telling us she could do things for us, or not if we didn't want her too. Also, she would not. stop. bringing. us. drinks. Our entire table was littered with full drink glasses, and she was still trying to give us more at the end. In fact, I laughed so much I didn't eat as much as I'd planned, but it was so much fun. Ds and the girlfriend took dd back to college with them, and I went and checked into the hotel. I showered and went to bed by ten. I was actually woken up twice by what I think were prom kids being incredibly loud in the hallway - once at 1:30 am, and once at 3:30 am. It was funny, in a way. I kept thinking all this interrupted sleep is how I train, so it might as well be how I race!

I got up a little before 5:30 am and ate my usual pre-race powerbar and gatorade, and actually then set my alarm and went back to sleep for a while. When I woke up again, it was bright and sunny and I had a moment's terror that I missed the race! But, it was only 6:25, so all was good. I dressed and grabbed my stuff (had packed the night before) and was out the door heading to the race by 6:45. Balancin1, who was meeting me, and I were both a bit confounded by street closings, and it ended up being a close thing, but she made it as I was standing in the starting area and took my clothes from me. I had called her while I was walking to the start feeling worried, as every other runner I could see looked like a "real" runner. She reminded me that *I* am a real runner, and once she arrived, I finally started to feel excited instead of frightened!

I had decided to run with my mp3 player (which I rarely do) and I'm glad I did. It really helped me stay excited throughout the race and was a good pick-me-up. The course was actually beautiful - on a closed highway, but through forest preserve areas, and very wooded, and marshy, and peaceful. I hit my mp3 at the start, and the first song was one of my favorite running songs, Superchic[k]'s "It's On." The very first words are "It all comes down to this: you take your best shot/ might miss. You take it anyway!" and as I crossed the start line and hit my Garmin start, I figured here goes my best shot!

The first 3 miles were just fun. I must have done a successful taper because I was itching to run and just felt great. I got passed a lot - this was a very athletic crowd running this race! - but everybody was cheerful and excited, too. The whole course was on the same road just about, and there were some gentle rolling hills, but the course was mostly flattish, through the forest preserves, and quiet except for birds singing and the sounds of people running. Not a ton of cheerers, but the volunteers were great, and there would be a little group at least at each water stop.

At 3 miles, I started thinking and dedicating each mile to specific people (as bbm suggested, and I had then planned out ahead of time.) This really helped me feel strong and connected while out there running by myself.

Mile 4 was for little dd, and I thought about how I hoped she'd always be as happy as she is now, and always see the best in the world.
Mile 5 for little ds - growing up in his sister's shadow is not easy, but I hope he'll find his own ways to excel throughout life and always have the strength to make good choices.
Mile 6 for bigger dd - because those teen years can be so hard, and she is turning into such a beautiful young woman, I hope she'll always believe in herself
Mile 7 for oldest ds, and for his girlfriend - hopefully he'll find a career path where he can support himself and where he's happy, and hopefully they will both not be satisfied to do "just enough" but push themselves to excel
Mile 8 for my husband, whom I love beyond words. I hope he can always feel the amazing depth of my appreciation for him!
Mile 9 for tjsmama - because single parenting is so hard. I hope you can always find the support and strength you need!
Mile 10 for Balancin1 and her mom. I know it's so hard to need to care for a parent, and so scary when there is so much uncertainty. Also, having her there to cheer for me was so amazing, there aren't words enough for how important it was to me to have her waiting for me at the finish!
Mile 11 for my sister dingos racing yesterday, especially RM, with a cold, and no fellow dingo holding her stuff and waiting for her. I was hoping I'd be at her finish time sometime during this mile, and I think I finished this mile actually a bit before she finished her half!
Mile 12 for my sister dingos racing today. BBM, I thought of you a lot! You guys are so speedy, and knowing you were out there too was a huge boost to my motivation!
Mile 13 for Baby Wendy, for Baby Griffin Patrick, and for my friend Anne. I hope I'll always remember to run with joy, because I can, and they can't. There was a very chatty lady out on the course who reminded me so much of my friend Anne who talked the entire time during races. The lady asked me about my shirt (I ran in my shirt with Griffin and Anne's names on them) and I told her Anne carried me through the races I did with her, and so I carry her now.
The last 10th of a mile was all for me. I could see the finish, and knew I was doing better than I'd expected, and then my kids (oldest ds, gf, and oldest dd) were there yelling at me to run faster, and then Balancin1 and her dd were just before the finish cheering me through! My Garmin time should be close to my chip time, since I think I started and stopped it pretty accurately. To my utter shock, I ran 2:08:33!!

Overall, it was a great race. Perfect weather, great support. Definitely better than I'd thought I could do (in fact, the first 5 miles I ran faster than I did the 5 mile race last week!) Balancin1 and her dd and my dd and I all went to an IHOP afterwards and I happily reloaded on carbs. I'm home now, and except for my legs being very achy and tired and some terrible chafing between my thighs, all is well. I have to work tomorrow, and I'm planning to wear my race shirt and my warm up pants. I figure I dress up every other day of the year!
#136 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Totally Lisa! I know we are planning on the airforce half in september and then I'm sure there are others. I would love to do one with you!!!

do you have a link for the air force race for me to look at ? Getting excited to run/race together!

DrJen!AWESOME RACE AND REPORT!! totally made me tear up and get body chills reading it, thank yo uso much for dedicating a mile to me and thinking of me during your race and how I didn't have someone holding my stuff. Thank you so much, you are amazing. Isn't Balancin1 do great!?! I totally couldn't have done that marathon without her by my side. I'm sooooo dang proud of you for beating your pie in the sky time, wow, truely great!!! Give yourself a huge hug from me!!

Balancin1~been thinking of you and your mom and sending you prayers and love throughout this. I know it's tough. {{{{HUG}}}}
#137 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Just popping in to post....

2:06:35!!!!!!

WAY beat my goal! WOOT!

Gotta get checked out of the hotel and hit the road...back for a full race report later! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#138 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Mile 13 for Baby Wendy, for Baby Griffin Patrick, and for my friend Anne. I hope I'll always remember to run with joy, because I can, and they can't. There was a very chatty lady out on the course who reminded me so much of my friend Anne who talked the entire time during races. The lady asked me about my shirt (I ran in my shirt with Griffin and Anne's names on them) and I told her Anne carried me through the races I did with her, and so I carry her now.
: and What a great job!

BBM - Great job! I know you're kicking yourself on those 21 seconds but I think pushing to the puke point is way hardcore!

Towson - You're one of those speedy mamas! You rock!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#139 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Towson - You're one of those speedy mamas! You rock!
Awww, thanks Plady!!

Okay, another rookie mistake. Apparently my 2:01 was the gun time. My chip time was an even 2 hours. That means I ran it in 2 hours right? Not 2:01? I hope so. I'll certainly take that little minute shaved off!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#140 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Dr Jen - : You totally made me cry. That was the best race report EVER! Thank you for thinking of me and all of us! I wanted to write on my bib, DINGO SISTER, but I didn't find a sharpie and it was too late. I will do that for my next one.

Towson - 2:00 baybee!!! you rock

tjsmama - FANtasTIC!!! Way to rock your half.

Damn we all rock amazing tread!!! Look at all of us awesome running mamas!! I am so impressed

And towsonmama you said something that I've thought a lot about. Each race is a lesson. I learned so much with this training that I can apply for the next. New things I want to try. And a true awareness that if I want to go fast I just can't shirk the speed training like I do. So I think it's a great idea to look at the race and see where you did fantastic and where it was hard. I think for me I take not knowing about the hills and especially the downhills. Also I don't know where my head was at the last mile, but not to EVER give up.

And my last words...if it kicked you in the patotie then you did it just right. My attitude is "leave it all on the course, leave everything behind." I feel like I did that today. I had absolutely nothing left. Except a fire to do it again and do it even better.

And for Lisa:

http://www.usafmarathon.com/ It starts 8:30 am...better than our 6:30 am start today!
#141 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

They already have results posted!

overall 875/7353
women 251/4529
division 39/572
#142 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 PM

i knew my 2:55 time last week was not great but you guys are making me feel really ..er, slow! [yeah yeah ovary thing and all, but still] i am glad i have you speedy ladies for motivation!

everyone's race reports were great! way to go RACERS!

:

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#143 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Hooray for everyone today!

I ran a 5K today, and I learned a few things I need to work on. I don't usually eat before I run, today I had a bowl of oatmeal and a banana. I found there was enough time between my run and eating. I also stayed up until 2 am last night with dh. I should have gone to bed. Overall I came in 46th out 80 participants, second in my division, and came home with a first place medal.

next rest: memorial day weekend.
#144 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllyy want my Enell to arrive tomorrow.

I am thinking that if it ever does arrive I will run in our town's 5K for the hospital run in June and then gear for Toronto for the fall. Doing a half seems a little far fetched at this point, but maybe I could do the 5K that same day and get psyched up by all of the marathoners for the spring. But first I need to be able to run without clutching my chest - it's just not my style, you know?
#145 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Ok, first some personals, then back with a race report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Had to laugh because there was a small story in the weekly paper and the tri was described as a mock triathlon. Suggestion was made at the packet pick-up that maybe we should invite the author to the race and see how he/she does.
A big fat pfffffffft to that reporter! Just because a race is not an ironman does not make it "mock"! That's even worse than me getting annoyed last summer by my family referring to my sprint distance triathlons as "mini" triathlons. "Mini" just makes it sound not real, kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement. One more personal battle won.
Awesome, Linda! WTG! Are you hooked now? ETA: the bike to run transition is pretty much always the hardest...your legs just feel like dead weight coming off the bike. One reason why brick workouts are so important, so you can get used to that. I find that the best way for me to handle it is just to push through the pain, and usually within a quarter-mile, my legs are in the groove.

babybugmama~ Great race, and great report! I've been thinking that I need to do a race at sea level just to see what I could do, and the pig crossed my mind. But then I remembered how fricking hilly Cincinnati is! Of course, being that close to home, I could have lots of family cheering for me. Maybe next year, if I decide not to do today's race again!

towsonmama~ GREAT job! You hit 2 hours in your very first half! Awesome! I think we should run together sometime! You're just a teeny bit faster than me!

doctorjen~ Best. Race. Report. Ever. : Count me as another one that got teary reading that. Thank you so much for thinking of me during your race. I *knew* I felt some dingo sister love out there this morning! Great race, and way to blow by your goals!

Quote:
And my last words...if it kicked you in the patotie then you did it just right. My attitude is "leave it all on the course, leave everything behind."
: That's exactly what my coach said this week. If you don't leave it all behind, you'll always wonder what you could have done if you had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
Doing a half seems a little far fetched at this point, but maybe I could do the 5K that same day and get psyched up by all of the marathoners for the spring. But first I need to be able to run without clutching my chest - it's just not my style, you know?
Shanti...you could totally do a half this fall. It's not far fetched at all! I did a 12 week beginner training program that started with just being able to run 3 miles. If you can do that going into training, you're set. You can even run/walk, as long as you can cover the distance. Look at me...5 months ago, the dingoes helped talk me into running a half. I was so overwhelmed by the idea and really really doubtful I could do it. But I did. And I just did it again, improving beyond my wildest dreams. If you want to do it, you CAN. And we'll be here to support you every step of the way!!!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#146 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 PM

...on the tri thing...

It is all in the individual's perspective. BIL does off road sprint tris. He is always making comments about Ironman races. He says things like: "It must be so boring to just go along always having to pace yourself and never going all out." I get annoyed at him because I definitely want to do n Ironman once my kiddos are a little bigger and I have more time to train. Sprint tris are awesome. I think they are so much fun! All race lengths are equally valid races... they are just different skills.

I really have the race bug. I am definitely going to do at least one more half before my marathon in the fall. I am thinking of doing the NYC Nike Half marathon. DH is doing a 101 mile mountain bike race in PA the day before, so I could just stop and do the race on the way home. Otherwise, I may do one in New England. Any favorites? I am on Long Island and there aren't any more close by.
#147 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 09:51 PM

awesome, awesome racing, mamas!
#148 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Okay, I've never really written a race report before, in part because I tend to zone out and not remember much of it. But, here goes...

You'd think that being alone in the hotel room and responsible for only myself, I would have gotten a good night's sleep but someone in one of the nearby rooms had a yippy little dog that woke me up at 2 am yipping. Still, it wasn't toooooo hard to wake up at 5 in order to eat a little before the race.

BBM mentioned the late start which was bad for those who actually experienced the fire that caused it (and for the marathoners who had to run extra due to rerouting) but it was kind of neat to be in a huge crowd again and I enjoyed those extra moments. Most of the races I've done lately have been local and just not at all on that scale. It was pretty cool to look around us and see so many people, many of whom were already behind us.

The first few miles were a challenging pace but not too bad...BBM was flying, tho, and flew away from me at about 4 miles. All was still good until about 5ish miles then my stomach issues kicked in. I think maybe I started too fast, despite knowing that I should ease into it and speed up later. For the next 4 miles, I made 3 pitstops, which I've never had to do before. Then I started thinking, "This is ridiculous- I'm not stopping again!" and just kept running. Around mile 9, during pig mountain, I started to feel good again. I had run the half 3 yrs ago when BBM ran the full, so I knew to expect pig mountain and to enjoy the long run down the other side of pig mountain. Once my stomach decided to cooperate, I totally cruised and made up for lost time. That felt great and I finished feeling really strong, even passing people along the way.

My final time was 2:04:05. My goal was to finish under 2 hrs and I probably would have without the pitstops. But, this time was 28 min faster than when I ran this race 3 yrs ago, which was pretty cool. I've never really done any speedwork or had such an organized training plan as we did this year so it feels really good to see all that pay off. I must say a huge thanks to BBM for her planning, coaching and encouragement!

So, I'm ready to sign up for the USAF half in Sept already!
#149 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Race report. Hmm...where to start...I guess yesterday! So, remember how I was really nervous about going to this race all by myself? It ended up being great, I wasn't by myself at all! There was a girl from my track group (Annie) who was running the full marathon and her fiance and roommate were running the half. The roommate's mom came up to drive them all around and cheer, too, and they stayed at the same hotel I did. We ended up going out to dinner (with the fiance's sister who goes to school there) at Olive Garden last night. We had a really nice (although slower than dirt) dinner, with a nice relaxing glass of wine. By the time we got done, it was time to head back to the hotel since all full and half runners had to be bussed to the start line, and Annie had to be at the bus at 4 am! I didn't sleep very well, as usual the night before the race. At one point, I was dreaming that I was running the race and that I *really* had to go to the bathroom, only to wake up and realize that I did have to go! Ran for the bathroom, then back to bed, hopeful that I got everything cleared out of my system.

My alarm went off at 4:15 (what an ungodly early hour to have to get up to go run!), and I met Derek (the fiance) and Kim (the roommate) down in the lobby so we could drive together to the busses. Our drive up the canyon was relatively short, only about 20 minutes or so (the marathon started another 13 miles up the canyon). We got off the bus and it was FREEZING. Probably 35-40 but with a cold wind blowing down the canyon. So, it's 5:30, our race doesn't start until 7, there's no shelter anywhere, and it's just starting to get light out. We ended up huddling behind the UPS truck that was there to take everyone's bags to the finish along with about 50 other people...as many as could fit behind the truck's windbreak! I had a fleece and long pants on, but poor Kim and Derek didn't think it was going to be as cold as it was and didn't have pants and only a long-sleeved shirt on top. They started lining us up on the road about 6:45, so I checked my bag and found Teresa, the other woman from my track group who was running the half. Turns out she was on the very first bus, and had been huddling inside the UPS truck the whole time!

Ok, on to the actual race! I was freezing after checking my bag (tank top/shorts on), but as soon as we started running, I wasn't cold anymore! Um, my toes were frozen, though, which I didn't realize until I started running on them! It took probably at least a mile before they were thawed out! The first four miles were in the canyon, and it was GORGEOUS. Rock walls, river running alongside. Oh yeah, and downhill. Well, the whole thing was downhill, but the first four definitely were! I kept looking at my Garmin thinking that I was running too fast, that I wouldn't be able to sustain it, but our coach told Teresa and I to just let the hill take us...keep our steps light, but let our legs go. Teresa pulled ahead of me here for awhile, but I caught back up to her and then passed her. We came out of the canyon around mile 4 and ran through some countryside/very rural scenery. It was kind of surreal, early morning, birds chirping, and cows MOOING. Very loudly! Around mile 5.5 we hit the one hill on the course. Not big at all, but when you've been running downhill, it sure feels like it!

Around mile 7, I had to take my first pitstop. I guess the good thing is that I wasn't anywhere near the aid station, so I didn't have to wait for the port-o-potty! Got that cleared out, and went on my way until mile 9 when I had to stop again. By this point, I was really starting to feel the effects of the downhill on my quads. OW. I tried to focus on my dingo sisters and that helped for a little while, then I tried the "don't think, just run" mantra and that helped for a little while. Meanwhile, my legs felt like crap and I just overall didn't feel that great, but every time I looked down at my Garmin, I was WAY under goal pace! The marathoners started passing me after about an hour and a half (which was WAY longer than I thought it would take them...they started an hour before us) and I was just amazed at how fast those guys were going, having run twice as far as I had! I was really surprised, though, that I only got passed by about 10 marathoners. The marathon course was apparently REALLY tough!

I came into sight of the finish line with a little less than .2 to go. I tried to kick it in, but just didn't have anything left in my legs. As I came into the chutes, there were Derek and Kim and Annie's family, all cheering for me! So cool, especially since just the day before, I didn't think I'd have anyone at all that I knew!

Annie was hoping to qualify for Boston today, so we expected her to come in within about half an hour of my finish. We waited, and waited, and waited. She ended up running 4:08. She said the marathon course before it hit the half start was brutal. The downhill was WAY steeper than she thought it would be and just beat her up. I felt so bad for her, but she had a great attitude about it even though she was obviously disappointed!

So, obviously I'm VERY happy with how I did. My goals in order of most expected to least, were to run 2:15 (check), run 10 minute mile pace (check), and run 2:10 (check!). My niggling in the back of my head, could potentially hit it if I had the perfect race goal was to run 2:08:30, which is what the McMillan running calculator said I could do based on my 5 mile race time last weekend. I WAY beat that!!!

Still trying to figure out the whole digestive system thing. I'm starting to think it's more nerves than anything that I am/am not eating. I don't think there's much I could have done about my issues today since they didn't kick in until over 6 miles in...a long warm-up wouldn't have even helped. I'm not too terribly disappointed since it only added about 2 1/2 minutes to my time, but obviously, I would love to get this figured out sometime soon. Weird that it hasn't bothered me (yet, knock on wood) in triathlons or duathlons.

Next up, turning my focus a little bit more toward triathlon. I have a swim lesson set up for Wednesday, which I'm VERY excited about. A couple more running only races, first though. I got asked tonight to do a leg in a marathon relay in two weeks. I'm thinking I'll take a 5k leg, since I don't want to kill myself with races here...that will be 4 races in a month since I have the Bolder Boulder the next weekend!

And of course, since I got so close...I now have this niggling little thought in my head that if I *really* worked on it...I could maybe break 2 hours. But not quite yet...I think I'm done with half-marathons until the fall, at the very least!

Sorry for the major novel...once I get going, I can't stop! Even though I started writing over 2 hours ago and then got distracted by DS coming home and needing to get him to bed!

#150 of 1016 Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 PM

Great job, jgmommo!

I can SO relate on the stomach issues!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page