Low Carbers/Atkins? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 240 Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ya'll inspired me with talk of crackers! I made a super-easy recipe for low-carb crackers today: 1 cup flax meal, 1/3 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup water, garlic powder to taste. Mix, place by tsp onto parchment paper lined pan, smush flat with a glass bottom covered in more parchment paper, and bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Really, really good! I had a few with hummus and a few with salsa. Nice and fairly crisp, held lots of "dip."

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#122 of 240 Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Sunflower Parmesan Crackers

1 c raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c parm cheese
1/4 c water

Process nuts and cheese in food processor, adding water to make a dough. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Score into squares or diamond shapes.

Bake at 300 for 30 minutes.

I didn't get a chance to make them today.

I want to try the almond crackers now too. It would be a great way to get more nuts into my kids. (As if they aren't nutty enough. j/k).
#123 of 240 Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
Ya'll inspired me with talk of crackers! I made a super-easy recipe for low-carb crackers today: 1 cup flax meal, 1/3 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup water, garlic powder to taste. Mix, place by tsp onto parchment paper lined pan, smush flat with a glass bottom covered in more parchment paper, and bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Really, really good! I had a few with hummus and a few with salsa. Nice and fairly crisp, held lots of "dip."
Okay, those sound good too!
I have hummus in the fridge that I made last week but have been lamenting that I can't dip some pita bread in it. The crackers would be a good alternative.
#124 of 240 Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will View Post
Sunflower Parmesan Crackers

1 c raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c parm cheese
1/4 c water

Process nuts and cheese in food processor, adding water to make a dough. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Score into squares or diamond shapes.

Bake at 300 for 30 minutes.

I didn't get a chance to make them today.

I want to try the almond crackers now too. It would be a great way to get more nuts into my kids. (As if they aren't nutty enough. j/k).
Those sound great and since I have an abundance of raw sunflower seeds in my freezer, it is perfect!
#125 of 240 Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM

I am having a hungry day. :

Just sayin'
#126 of 240 Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just made the best brownies! These are not induction friendly as the carb count is a bit higher but, they'd be great for those who are on OWL.
This isn't really my recipe - it's a combo of several.

Black bean brownies:
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
4 eggs
2T coconut oil
1/2 cup splenda (or sugar free syrup equivalent)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2T strong coffee
1t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1/4 cup (2oz) cream cheese
Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth (may take a minute or two)

Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
#127 of 240 Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 PM

I follow a very low carb, High protein lifestyle as well. I eat very healthy but supplement with great tasting Protein shakes. My favorite being Nectar Latte Cappacino (sp). I feel so much better and have lost 101 lbs. 267 high to current 166. I want to lose another 26 lbs and then maintain. This is when it is getting tougher to lose. Any suggestions for how you lost your last bit of weight? I am afraid I will have to work twice as hard to take these next 26 lbs off but once they are gone- I plan on keeping it that way!!!:
#128 of 240 Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 AM

Hello! May I join you? I will be starting the zone plan tomorrow. I am a pre-diabetic...for the time being. I have gon through the pages in this thread, and enjoyed the recipes and ideas. Tomorrow is a big day, and have been trying to plan everything out....especially since we will be spending the day with MIL.

Michelle Abby (07/27/01),fambedsingle1.gif Kaleigh(06/25/06),angel.gif (12/25/07),angel.gif (10/06/09),cat.gif Storm (11/4/06)cat.gif Rainy (05/10)

#129 of 240 Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 AM

May I join you? I actually use the Schwartzbein Principle (no artificial anything, not processed carbs, theoretically only things that can be milked, gathered, picked or hunted). I did really well on this a few years back, and my kids were really energetic, rarely sick, and my son was able to focus better. I have since fallen off the wagon through my 4th pregnancy and severe- in the hospital forever where they were trying to stuff ensure down my throat- PPD. So, anyway, I am gearing up to be more concious of this now.... I just want to feel better and the weight will come off on it's own.

I just don't want to feel so alone..

Thanks for the sunflower seed recipe! It looks yummy!
#130 of 240 Old 07-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schellie View Post
Hello! May I join you? I will be starting the zone plan tomorrow. I am a pre-diabetic...for the time being. I have gon through the pages in this thread, and enjoyed the recipes and ideas. Tomorrow is a big day, and have been trying to plan everything out....especially since we will be spending the day with MIL.
Will your MIL be supportive? If she won't, it might pay to wait a single day longer and start the plan without her interference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompostMom View Post
I follow a very low carb, High protein lifestyle as well. I eat very healthy but supplement with great tasting Protein shakes. My favorite being Nectar Latte Cappacino (sp). I feel so much better and have lost 101 lbs. 267 high to current 166. I want to lose another 26 lbs and then maintain. This is when it is getting tougher to lose. Any suggestions for how you lost your last bit of weight? I am afraid I will have to work twice as hard to take these next 26 lbs off but once they are gone- I plan on keeping it that way!!!:
Congrats on losing 101 pounds!

It's pretty normal for weight loss to come in fits and starts- for your body to "take a break" after a huge weight loss before continuing to lose.

Some people find that they just keep doing what they've been doing, and the weight continues to come off, just more slowly than before. Remember that, if you're losing a steady percentage of body weight each week, the actual numbers are going to go down as you have less to lose.

Many people find that they need to watch calories and/or carbs more carefully as they get closer to goal. Others find that exercise is essential to weight loss close to goal, even if it wasn't needed earlier on.

I know this from frequenting other weight loss boards- personally I'm still struggling with the 35 lbs I put on after my daughters were born. The 15 lbs I'd gained more recently practically melted away in just a few months of LC eating. I've been around 170 for months and I also want to get down to 140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleybug View Post
May I join you? I actually use the Schwartzbein Principle (no artificial anything, not processed carbs, theoretically only things that can be milked, gathered, picked or hunted). I did really well on this a few years back, and my kids were really energetic, rarely sick, and my son was able to focus better. I have since fallen off the wagon through my 4th pregnancy and severe- in the hospital forever where they were trying to stuff ensure down my throat- PPD. So, anyway, I am gearing up to be more concious of this now.... I just want to feel better and the weight will come off on it's own.

I just don't want to feel so alone..

Thanks for the sunflower seed recipe! It looks yummy!
Welcome Kelleybug!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#131 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

How is everyone's week going?

I am focusing on getting back on track today. Yesterday was a carb up day that I took a little too far! LOL I don't think Taco Bell is the preferred carb up food! Not to mention my children were sent home with two bags of the best peaches in the world this weekend and I lost all self control.: Man, were they good!

So today I am working on getting back in ketosis by staying as close to 0 carbs as possible. I also have a kettlebell circuit planned for my workout followed by 15 or 20 minutes on the gazelle.

I have a doctor's appointment today and then I am meeting a friend for dinner so I will have to be very careful.

I was finally below 220 but today I found myself at almost 222. I am not really worried since yesterday was a carb up day and my cycle begins soon but it was still a bit of a wake up call to not see the teens on the scale anymore!

So back on course and off to the gym!
#132 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Hello all! DD was sick so I waited until yesterday to start. I am doing pretty well I think. It is just hard to match things up . Like with anything, with time it will come easier.

Michelle Abby (07/27/01),fambedsingle1.gif Kaleigh(06/25/06),angel.gif (12/25/07),angel.gif (10/06/09),cat.gif Storm (11/4/06)cat.gif Rainy (05/10)

#133 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I did well over the holiday, and am feeling pretty good. Protein drinks really help me. And its all about shopping and meal planning. Tonight is quiche for dinner.
#134 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Quiche sounds really good. Do you make it crustless or use an almond crust?
#135 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM

We had a couple of family parties this weekend-- a July 4th party, & a toddler b'day party. One had my mother's fantabulous potato salad which I ate without guilt or worry and totally enjoyed, and the other party tempted me with a SIL's shrimp risotto, and a fabulous baked bean dish. I skipped the cake and ice cream ( I do not have a sweet tooth. My tooth is carbs ), but ate the homeade stuff. I have not weighed myself this week, but my clothes feel like I've gained a pound or so. I'm not the least bit worried because I think it will jump start my metabolism for the week.

There was another family gathering tonight for my MIL, who is going back to FL, but I passed on anything carby or refined. I had some fish and my bil made me a bloody mary. On Friday I will step on the scale.

I have to say that two of my sils teased, "You're not as fat as we are! Why are you losing weight?! ' lol I didn't tell them at first that I was watching my carb intact, but they noticed, so I said. Their in-fun words were helpful to my motivation. I'd like to lose 15 more lbs.

I *think* I can keep going on a modified healthy 'south beach', but I admit, it's a pita to have to think about food this way. I love to cook, I love pasta, I love Mexican, and with this carb deal I have to think ahead wrt meal planning.
#136 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
Quiche sounds really good. Do you make it crustless or use an almond crust?
I always do crustless. I like it best that way. The quiche tonight was with cilantro, green chilis and cheese. Yum.

I scored on some new clothes too. My SIL and I made a deal - I cooked for her and my brother while they were here this weekend and she gave me a ton of her "hand-me-down" clothes. Nice, cute stuff! I'm showin' some cleavage again for the first time in years! LOL! Its fun, it feels good. My old clothes were so dumpy. So the new clothes have kept me motivated.

And the way I feel. SO much better. My mood is evening out finally, um, four years post-partum. I don't know why I could not do this before, and why I seem to be sticking with it now. I wish I could understand my roller coaster weight gain/weight loss/happy mood/sad mood cycles in life better.
#137 of 240 Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I *think* I can keep going on a modified healthy 'south beach', but I admit, it's a pita to have to think about food this way. I love to cook, I love pasta, I love Mexican, and with this carb deal I have to think ahead wrt meal planning.
I know. This weekend I cooked for *everyone else*. Sunday morning brunch with breakfast burritos, hashbrowns, orange juice and blackberry/blueberry muffins. I had a protein shake. lol. But I actually felt good about it - just because I knew a meal like that would throw me into a tail spin. I actually did enjoy cooking for everyone at least.
#138 of 240 Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Hi everyone. I'm joining you. I started reading the thread yesterday but didn't get thru all of it. Gonna finish reading today.

I have tried to cut out carbs this week, but am having some trouble. I do well until the afternoon nursing session and lose control. I've tried adding in more fat yesterday and that did seem to help until ds asked for some cheerios and then it just went downhill from there.

But today is a new day. I can't get to the gym today and I wonder if that will make a difference in the afternoon carb craving. Any tips to help me get thru my first few days while nursing?
#139 of 240 Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I know. This weekend I cooked for *everyone else*. Sunday morning brunch with breakfast burritos, hashbrowns, orange juice and blackberry/blueberry muffins. I had a protein shake. lol. But I actually felt good about it - just because I knew a meal like that would throw me into a tail spin. I actually did enjoy cooking for everyone at least.
I hear you. Yet I feel whiney if I can't eat, so I admit, I don't tend to do too many hashbrown breakfasts (gosh, I love potatoes!). Weekends around here are veggie frittatas, scrambled eggs with spinach, various omlettes-- things that I like, and can eat, dammit! I love South Beach, and it's acceptance and encouragement of veggies and spices and flavors and *food*. I am a foodie. lol I would cry like a baby (no offense to crying babies) if I couldn't have my food.

Oh, you know what goes nicely with eggs? Or alone, even. lol Caprese salad. It's just thick round slices of tomato topped with circles of fresh mozerrella cheese, sprinkled with salt, cracked pepper, a bit of a fruity olive oil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar if you don't like it too sweet). You can chop up some fresh parsely & sprinkl eon top. Oooo, that's my morning snack. lol

I also allow myself beans-- mostly black and chickpeas, and a sweet potato here and there. I've been grilling them (cut in half, coat with olive oil) and put them cut side down on grill. I sprinkle them with something, lately paprika. I try to limit myself to one half once or twice a week. They aren't as bad as white potatoes on my metabolism, but if I have too much of it, I want more. The few times I indulge seems to keep me from going for the white potatoes. I also toss the garbanzo or other beans into a salad. I've also indulged my love of almonds, and avocado lately.

All I wish for is a personal chef. Damn that Oprah. The food is great, it's the fecking pre planning that gets me. Oh, and onion dip and dirty chips. Gosh, I love that, too. lol I think my weekend carb -loading has set me back-- I'm fantasizing more about simple carbs now. It's a black hole for those of us who don't metabolize carby foods well.
#140 of 240 Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymonkey View Post
Hi everyone. I'm joining you. I started reading the thread yesterday but didn't get thru all of it. Gonna finish reading today.

I have tried to cut out carbs this week, but am having some trouble. I do well until the afternoon nursing session and lose control. I've tried adding in more fat yesterday and that did seem to help until ds asked for some cheerios and then it just went downhill from there.

But today is a new day. I can't get to the gym today and I wonder if that will make a difference in the afternoon carb craving. Any tips to help me get thru my first few days while nursing?
Good fats are important to keep the carby cravings at bay, and for me, it's important to have snacks. If you eat dairy products, the lowly egg can be a friend. It's full of protein and other nutrients. If you don't do a dairy, think about avocados, seeds, and nuts. Not overly, but a couple of tablespoons. Pistachios have helped me along. They have a satly taste for those cravings and really are filling. I count out about 20 for my snack. Nut butters on celery is good, too. When you make a salad, make if huge. Again, if you do dairy, add some feta or chopped up fav cheese. Olives, too. It's a good fat. Chopped up fiorm tofu is good in a salad, and has good protein (if yu eat soy). You can also toss in sunflower seeds, maybe a half can of chick peas. A little full fat greek yogurt with some cucumber, lemon, salt & pepper is nice, too, with a salad. (Of course this always has me craving a nice pita bread. lol)

With a nursing baby, you need to keep it simple for sanity's sake, and don't be cutting calories like crazy-- you'll be too hungry.
#141 of 240 Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymonkey View Post

What plan are you following and how many grams of carbs are you aiming for right now?

Maybe you simply need more total food (which means more calories, protein, and fat), and maybe you need to up your carbs. I'd suggest aiming for 60g of carbs per day while nursing- you can always lower that number if you're unable to lose, or increase it if you find you're too hungry or your milk supply is being affected.

Go ahead and have a few cheerios- but have it with hard boiled eggs, chunks of cheese, almonds, and/or slices of meat. You'll feel a lot more satisfied (and not "go crazy" after eating a few) if you're eating them with plenty of protein and fat. Cinnamon can also help lower blood sugar (which means that having cinnamon with carby foods will help keep you from having more carb cravings a little while later.)

#142 of 240 Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 PM

In an attempt to stay on target the next couple of weeks I sat down today and made up my menu. I put it on my blog so I can't lose it! LOL
#143 of 240 Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM

That's really great froggurami. i can't make a menu and stick to it! I get too creative and off track.

I have been doing Atkins low carb now for 17 days. On day 14 I was down 10.6lbs! I'm feeling great. I even aquired a treadmill off of ReUseIt for free!! Today i took my first walk on it while the kiddos were napping and then I got a shower in peace and quiet! seems like such a treat to take care of me a little.

I am having TERRIBLE nightmares and I toos and turn all night. I'm not hungry in the evening and I'm not eating after about 7:30 (we eat a later dinner). Anyone else having this problem? The dreams are awful and I wake in nightsweats and out of breathe panting or sobbing.
#144 of 240 Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitting4me View Post
That's really great froggurami. i can't make a menu and stick to it! I get too creative and off track.

I have been doing Atkins low carb now for 17 days. On day 14 I was down 10.6lbs! I'm feeling great. I even aquired a treadmill off of ReUseIt for free!! Today i took my first walk on it while the kiddos were napping and then I got a shower in peace and quiet! seems like such a treat to take care of me a little.

I am having TERRIBLE nightmares and I toos and turn all night. I'm not hungry in the evening and I'm not eating after about 7:30 (we eat a later dinner). Anyone else having this problem? The dreams are awful and I wake in nightsweats and out of breathe panting or sobbing.
Maybe try a magnesium type drink at bed - like CALM. I also drink a magnesium drink called Ion Fizz. It tastes like a pink lemonade seltzer. : )
#145 of 240 Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Maybe try a magnesium type drink at bed - like CALM. I also drink a magnesium drink called Ion Fizz. It tastes like a pink lemonade seltzer. : )
I was going to recommend magnesium as well!

Hope you get it figured out soon so you can get some sleep!!!
#146 of 240 Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 AM

Just started atkins 2 months ago and so far have lost 14lbs. I used to eat all the time and now I don't have the hunger or cravings for food at all. I can be satisfied on a salad. I can make my kids food and not sneak some. Love it!
#147 of 240 Old 07-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Congrats on the 14lbs!!!!
#148 of 240 Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM

I just started a new blog called Keto Kitchen. There is nothing new there at the moment but I am going to start blogging my food there pretty regularly. I am hoping to keep everything organized by recipe types/menus/etc. If anyone is interested the link is in my sig. (Guess I should actually make sure the link works! LOL)
#149 of 240 Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM

Just bumping us...

How did everyone's weekend go??

Mine was fairly uneventful except for hurting my knee. Have no idea how I did it? Hope I had fun! LOL
#150 of 240 Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Saturday was fine- just another Shabbos so lunch was cold cuts and a beef stew from the crock pot- actually more of a thin soup, I find broths so satisfying when it's too hot to think about solid food.

Then today was a fast day so I haven't eaten much- the fast officially ended at 9:00 so I had a lox omelette, but I was really faint and headachy and sick around 5:00 so I had a hot dog, some almonds, and a cup of instant coffee with coconut oil (trying to give me the caffeine to get rid of the headache, trying not to make it too tasty or enjoyable for the spirit of the day.)

I'm still headachy so I'm planning to go to bed early. On the plus side, my shoulders seem to be free of the burning pain that plagued me yesterday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page