Mothering Forum banner

June dingoes runnin' in the sun!

17K views 751 replies 43 participants last post by  eksmom 
#1 ·

So here's the new thread...

We are a group of awesome women!! fo sho!

All walks of life, speed, distance, etc. Some of us waddle, some run, and some have fire in their shoes...but we all have fire in our hearts.

So here's to JUNE!

See less See more
#627 ·
eksmom - Yay on c25K! Let the pure joy at moving be your major emotion!

poppywise -
In 6 years of swim team with my kids, I haven't seen that one happen. That poor kid!

RR - Ran 4 ish on the treadmill last night. I had a big plan to go run my speed workout on the track this am before I have a scheduled cesarean with one of my clients, but it was storming when I woke up - plus the hospital called me about 6 times last night and I'm tired. The lock the track at the high school at 2:30 pm, so I'm not sure if I'll get there of if I'll have to try to do it on the treadmill tonight.
I faxed in my re-commitment to the marathon last evening (today is the deadline to say you are really going through with it!) I've raised a little over $500 without a lot of effort so far, and now have 2 mos or so to hit the fundraising goal. I'll be officially entered in the marathon by the end of the week! Now I have to actually do it, I guess!

#628 ·
HELP!! I need yalls opinions on a NRR thing...

DH wants to take a week at the end of July go visit his parents. However, I've used up almost all my vacation time on our recent trip and I have a huge amount of work and research that I wanted to finish this summer. We don't want to push the trip back bc that week is right before DD starts her new preschool, and we thought that going then might make the transition from her beloved babysitter easier and prevent us from having to take our vacation week at the preschool later on this fall.

He is okay with taking DD and going by himself, but I'm having a lot of guilt about that option... not only would I mostly enjoy seeing the ILs, it would also be nice to get out of AZ when it is so hot, and I would miss DD so much while they were gone. But I like the idea of having some time home to work and get organized for the fall semester, it would save us a little $$, and it would be nice to not get stressed about visiting the ILs. I've taken DD twice to my parents w/o DH, but that seems a little different, I'm not sure why... I keep worrying too that the ILs will think I don't like them.

Am I being totally neurotic? Is it totally crazy and anti-family for me to consider staying home?? Have any of yall done this?

#629 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Am I being totally neurotic? Is it totally crazy and anti-family for me to consider staying home?? Have any of yall done this?

Not neurotic... realistic! I did almost the same thing when DS was about 3. DH took DS for a week to my MILs in Savannah and I stayed home in Illinois. They had a GREAT time.

#631 ·
Callie - stay home, get a lot done, and your DH and DD will have a blast!

No run this morning...but I did mow part of the lawn. Planning 3 miles either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I did quarter-mile repeats yesterday (4 of them) and they were all between 2 minutes and 2:08. That was way faster than the ones I did on the TM in early spring...but I think that has more to do with the gradual increase in speed that the TM requires. Still, I am hopeful for a relatively speedy 5K in August.....

#632 ·
Callie - Let them go! They'll have a great time and so will you. Dh has taken dd a couple of times on his own (though the time that I didn't have Ali G it was only for two nights) and it has been great for all involved.

No RR - yesterday we went off island to do a big shopping trip which is a totally exhausting day so my Tuesday run is going to have to wait for Friday.

#636 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Is a cat call inappropriate?

: Lisa you look awesome!!

Thanks yall for your reassurances! DH is coming over to my office this afternoon to buy flight tix so
: that I keep my nerve up and let them go
Although now I'm second guessing bc of the allure of getting out of the heat for a week

#637 ·
eks~
: Yay for c25k! Are you doing any kind of quad strengthening? If it's your quads that are the culprit, there are a bunch of really easy exercises you could be doing to help things out a little.

I am feeling pretty good about life right now. I've had good healthy food today, good workouts, took DS to the playground this morning, have plans with friends the next 3 days (including meeting up with geo on Saturday!), H finally emailed our therapist to get things set up to go back in. Life's not too shabby. I am ever so slightly irritated that the bike course for my race on Sunday has been changed/shortened just because it throws off being able to truly compare to last year's results and see how much improvement I've made. Oh well!

rr~Track workout this morning. Everybody else did a ladder: 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400. Those of us racing this weekend did the same thing, but without the 1200. I hate 1200s!
Then I decided to do a pseudo brick and went to spin class (I call it pseudo brick because it was 5 hours later!). Spin class was freaking HARD after doing a track workout this morning! I usually prefer being out of the saddle in spin class, but today every time we were out my quads were just SCREAMING at me. In a good way, of course!

I decided to go ahead with a semi-taper. Harder (double) workouts today, easy but slightly long-ish run tomorrow, and Friday and Saturday off. Partly taking Friday off just so we can go to the pool with friends, but that's ok!
I get my MRI results on Monday, and then I can officially plan out the rest of my training up to the Oly.

#638 ·
Dang Lisa! Those are SOME LEGS! Great pics. I can't believe how good you look at the end of a race. Cute haircut, too!

Gaye-
I'm glad things are good. It makes life a lot nicer, doesn't it?

Hi Cheryl

Callie-I'm sure your dh and dd will have a great time.

Zumba was great this morning. I wore my new skort. I'm glad I tried it for zumba first. It totally will not work for me for running (maybe short distances), but the undershorts ride up SO much. I actually had a wedgie of the entire shorts leg.
: I looked obscene pulling it out after each dance.

I talked to my cousin last night. We run the P'tree together, but she told me she hasn't trained enough and will just jump in about half-way. That really kind of irritates me.
: Those numbers are precious and it just doesn't seem right.

Does anyone know of another product like Body Glide?

#639 ·
Congratulations JenLove!!!! Woohoo!!! You sound so good, too.

Pumpkinseed, I've been looking for your birth story and so far, no luck. I am so excited to read about G's arrival.

If anyone can point me toward Pumpkinseed's birth story I would be much obliged.

The Boph and I just finished 2 miles. She decided she wants to do the sprint tri with me in just 4 weeks. She's a super strong swimmer, but she doesn't ride her bike much or run for running's sake. So, I'm going to do a couple miles of walk/running with her most days between now and then and then she'll inspire me to get on my bike, which I haven't been doing enough of. I also haven't been in the lake yet. It's so danged cold!!! I'm still doing these events but I'm so not ready for them. It'll be fun to do the half with my sis and the sprint with my kiddo.

#641 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Does anyone know of another product like Body Glide?
HBM, I've been meaning to say, I've had some crumbling issues too, although not right off the bat. I have been known to take the broken off chunk and apply it by hand. What can I say, I'm cheap?

I did a quick Google and saw one called Runner's Lube (can't quickly find a good link) and Sportslick. Can't vouch for either. I'd just say stay away from Vaseline as it will leave a greasy stain on your clothes - I know that from experience.

#644 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
I have seen something new for chafing and can't remember what it was either. But do you want to go to the p'tree expo and look???? I could go kid-free on Wednesday night......

If you gals are heading down, I'd possibly like to go. IMO that woudl be the perfect MNO!!!!

#645 ·
craptastic day today. really, no offense intended at all to anyone on any side of the wahm/wohm/sahm continuum, but i REALLY think my kids and i do better with structured, away from each other activities on a regular basis. we just grated at each others' nerves all day today. it's probably me.

in any case, dd and i just ran a mile together - half mile jog, then half mile intervals. the first person ran while the second person counted to 10. then the second person sprinted to catch up with the first. when #2 caught up, she started jogging, while #1 counted - repeat for 1/2 mile home.

i'm off for speedwork with adult running friends.

#646 ·
I'm sick of smog too! When is it going away?

My hands were finally healed (so I thought). I folded 3 loads of clothes last night and my right hand is killing me! I'm so mad!!!
Well, kiddo's and dh will do the folding for the next month and we'll see how it goes!

Doing VBS this week. Yes, the one I wasn't going to do! One of my kids got stung by a yellow jacket today, so that was some fun!

RR: Treadmill run/walk this week. Loud music and I'm set!

Still working hard on weightloss. It's feels so slow, but it is downward! I've figured out I pretty much need to eat a good breakfast and bigger lunch and I'm ok after that. If I don't eat during those times I will starve by supper and eat too much.

I'm digging the yummy fresh canteloup that's in season right now! That, and cucumbers and I'm happy!

HBM...you made me laugh out loud with the skort and zumba! That would totally be me too!

RM..you do look great!

#648 ·
eksmom~ I had lots of loosey-goosey hip and knee problems when I started running again after Reagan was born. It took almost 6 months for those issues to resolve. They never were enough to keep me from running....just enough to be a bother. All of that relaxin hormone stuff from the pregnancy hung around for a while for me. Maybe your knee pain might be related to that? Congrats on starting your C25K! I remember that total excitement after so many months off my feet. It really is pure joy. Enjoy your forward motion.

RM~ I wish I had quads like that!! Woo-hoo!!

I had a crazy insane day. Ds had a blast at day camp. He is swimming at the pool with his buddies now. I took all of the rest of the kids to the pool today. Reagan loves the water. I had her in a solarveil sling, and it was all she could do to pry her way out of it to get down in the water. She loves to kick her feet and make motor boat sounds.
She has been officially walking for 1.5 weeks and is a real pro at it now. She is the biggest sweetheart.

RR:Too busy for a run today, but I managed a lot of swimming instead....I even did laps for about 15mins.

#649 ·
Thanks for the info on anti-chafing stuff. I need to order some pronto! I forgot to mention I was shopping on drugstore.com the other day and did a search for Body Glide and found a liquid. I thought it was perfect-no crumbling mess. I started reading the reviews (which were stellar, for the most part) and then I realized they were talking about a whole different type of product.
:

#650 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Thanks for the info on anti-chafing stuff. I need to order some pronto! I forgot to mention I was shopping on drugstore.com the other day and did a search for Body Glide and found a liquid. I thought it was perfect-no crumbling mess. I started reading the reviews (which were stellar, for the most part) and then I realized they were talking about a whole different type of product.
:
:

And nice new siggie, by the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.