Mothering Forum banner

June dingoes runnin' in the sun!

17K views 751 replies 43 participants last post by  eksmom 
#1 ·

So here's the new thread...

We are a group of awesome women!! fo sho!

All walks of life, speed, distance, etc. Some of us waddle, some run, and some have fire in their shoes...but we all have fire in our hearts.

So here's to JUNE!

See less See more
#2 ·
So I think I'm out today...but I plan on taking my running clothes to work tomorrow and getting in a 3 or 4 mile run at the park across from my work. Then tues I'll have a longer run 6ish, with some speed work the first half. Wednesday another 3 to 4 run at work, thur off, friday more speedwork and distance, saturday 10ish...

#5 ·
Ahh, JenLove - congratulations!
here's to a very sticky baby and a happy, healthy pregnancy.

i think i'm really going to put running on the back burner for a little while. it bothers my back more than cycling so i think i'll stick to the bike during this time.

short bike ride planned for this afternoon and some hanging around the house. Rhubarb cake in the oven, hoping we'll either have folks over this afternoon or get invited to some friends as dh will not eat rhubarb. not that i'm afraid to eat it all myself - cause i totally will.

happy marathon training DrJen and Megs. It's fun, even those 20 milers. You guys are going to do great!

#8 ·
Here's the race list. PM me if you'd like me to add something for you!

: DINGO RACE LIST
:

towsonmama - Dreaded Druid Hills 10k - June 28
tjsmama - Danskin Women's Tri - Denver -June 29
kate~mom -Lehigh Valley Road Runners Summer Series 5K III Allentown, PA July 2
HBM & mamabeth -Peachtree Road Race (10K) - July 4
heatherweh - Freedom 5k Culpepper, Va July 4
nancy926 - Stowe 8miler July 20
CherylAnn - Chelanman Multisport Weekend - half marathon July 19, sprint tri July 20

2babybees - Clark Lake Tri - July 20
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon - July 20
Kitsune6 - Northwest Passage Relay - July 25 & 26
SugarandSun - NYC Half Marathon July 27
JayGee - Indiana Downs Sprint Triathlon - August 3
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Road Runners Summer Series 5K IV Allentown, PA Aug 6
2babybees - Sylvania Tri (international distance) - August 10
mothercat - Sylvania Tri - Olympic distance Tri August 10
Plady - Friday Harbor 8.8k Loop Run - August 16
Megs_BK - WunderWoman Sprint Triathlon - August 17
JayGee - Accenture Chicago Triathlon (International Distance) - August 24
shantimama - toronto waterfront half-marathon Sept 28
Naughty Dingo -Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 5
towsonmama- Baltimore Marathon - October 11
DrJen - Chicago Marathon - Oct 12
SugarAndSun - Steamtown Marathon - October 12
its_our_family - 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day Race (Cincinnati) - Nov 27

The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - Sept 2
muppet729 - Sept 9
Jenlove -

athansor - welcome baby Joshua!
:
pumpkinseed - welcome baby G!
:

And last but not least, we have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC username in the request so we know who you are.

We have a cooking blog, a knitting blog and a location map...but I think [?] all of those are moderated by Eksmom who is currently BABYMOONING!
elcome baby Griffin!

#9 ·
Back from my first brick workout of the year...wow. Not feeling ready for triathlons right now, that's for sure!
: I'm pretty proud of my bike ride...I did just over 30 miles in just over 2 hours. It's an absolutely bee-yoo-tee-ful day to be outside today and the trail was pretty crowded, but it was nice to see so many people out being active! The first 15 miles were mostly downhill, and I felt great, but then I had to turn around and come back uphill. My knee started hurting and I hit the wall a little bit, but by the time I got to mile 26-ish, I had my second wind and was able to push through the knee pain a little bit. Cruised into the driveway, changed shoes, grabbed the dog, and headed out for a short 2.25 mile run. I forgot how painful it is trying to get your legs going off the bike. Super tough! It didn't feel good, but I'm pretty happy with my effort, 9:18 pace for the run. Now at least I feel slightly more prepared for my sprint tri next weekend, although I'm feeling more intimidated than ever about the Olympic tri next month!
Jaygee~What kind of training program are you using for your oly? I have GOT to get something more formal going or I'm going to be SO screwed...

I attempted to get in and out of my bike shoes while on the bike today (helps speed up your transition and also that way you don't have to run in your bike shoes while in transition)...yeah, that didn't work so well.
Actually, I had little to no problem getting OUT of the them, just can't get IN to them. Oh well, I've got one more bike ride this week and maybe I can figure it out then.

Off to shower followed by a little shopping and a pedicure! Yay! I discovered today that my tri shorts are just big enough that I could really stand to get a smaller pair, so I think I'm going to go check that out...luckily my tri top seems to be ok. I don't really care if the top is a little big, as long as the built-in bra still supports the girls, and that seems to be fine!

#10 ·
well, i just threw on my dingo t, my runnin shoes and hit the treadmill...for a whopping 2 miles!
the site of my incision was a bit achey, so i did some run, some walk. regardless, it felt good to move the legs, that's for sure. i realized i hadn't put my running shoes on since the day of the half.

i may have missed some race list updates that were announced in the may thread, so just post a reminder if i did.

jenlove - i deleted the 70 mile bike ride one first by accident, should i repost that one?

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
I attempted to get in and out of my bike shoes while on the bike today (helps speed up your transition and also that way you don't have to run in your bike shoes while in transition)...yeah, that didn't work so well.
Actually, I had little to no problem getting OUT of the them, just can't get IN to them. Oh well, I've got one more bike ride this week and maybe I can figure it out then.
OK, this brings up an interesting mental image... can you elaborate? Do you pre-clip your shoes to the pedals and then get your foot in while riding? But then how do you pedal and keep from falling over? Hrmm...

#13 ·
Subbing. DD and I took the bike trailer to a museum today. It's been a while since I've done that, and I start commuting by bike to my night class this week so I wanted to test myself over the distance. (my dingo tee came along for the ride) Right now I cannot imagine running after biking, though I am thoroughly convinced by the sore parts in my quads that they use muscles differently...

#14 ·
I'm feeling like a Lesser Dingo because I haven't run in a week, but I'm hoping to squeeze something in after dh gets home tonight. I almost always run S/S but dh was out of town, so I didn't.

Poppy, I'm doing a 5K June 19th.

#15 ·
I have a RR, my 1st run in 2 weeks since the 5K with the Atl Dingos. I ran 1 mile, on teh treadmill at the gym. I ran it 60 minutes into my workout, but I good song came on my ipod, I got a burst of energy, adn I decided to run. I ran it in 13 min. I was trying to keep my HR in teh 150's. I did get into teh 160's a little, but I did not hit 170 (which is when I experience the bonking). I felt great running. No knee pain at all during or after, adn I felt very strong. Though I wish I had my Enell on, b/c I think I was bouncy

I have a question about TM running. Do you set an incline? I heard a trainer tell me once to set the TM at a 2.5% incline, b/c that mimicks running outside. Opinions???

#16 ·
JenLove: congratulations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Rhubarb cake in the oven, hoping we'll either have folks over this afternoon or get invited to some friends as dh will not eat rhubarb. not that i'm afraid to eat it all myself - cause i totally will.
DO give the recipe, please.
DH and I
rhubarb!

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Anyone read Lance Armstrong's "It's not about the bike?" It's what I'm reading now and it's surprisingly good.
I think I will pick it up at the library tomorrow. I need something good to read!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
That's a trick I never personally went for. BIL is like king of the transition. He practices them all the time at home, etc. He does always have the fastest transition time... DH always beats him on the bike and the run though.
Gotta love sibling rivalry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I have a RR, my 1st run in 2 weeks since the 5K with the Atl Dingos. I ran 1 mile, on teh treadmill at the gym. I ran it 60 minutes into my workout, but I good song came on my ipod, I got a burst of energy, adn I decided to run. I ran it in 13 min. I was trying to keep my HR in teh 150's. I did get into teh 160's a little, but I did not hit 170 (which is when I experience the bonking). I felt great running. No knee pain at all during or after, adn I felt very strong. Though I wish I had my Enell on, b/c I think I was bouncy

I have a question about TM running. Do you set an incline? I heard a trainer tell me once to set the TM at a 2.5% incline, b/c that mimicks running outside. Opinions???
Hmmm... I always put mine at 1% unless I am doing climbing repeats. 2.5% seems high.

rr: I managed to get 4 miles in on the treadmill while dc were tearing up the house and yard. DH will be home tonight so I can do my 60 minutes on the road tomorrow.

#19 ·
tjsmama ~ This is the training plan I'm following. They also have a 10 week beginner one here. As for getting into/out of bike shoes while clipped in, I have NO idea how I'd get in. Seriously, I need both hands and to be sitting on the ground to get into those things. I could probably get out though....

Crazy day today including 4 baby bunnies, dead car battery, no naps for the girls, and lots of other nuttiness. I'm ready for tomorrow.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CathToria View Post

found this interesting "the 1% incline treadmill myth" & "part 2" Both links take you to the home page, so go under general training and you'll see them near the end of the list.

#22 ·
Gaye, I came across a rather contentious bulletin board thread about preclipped bike shoes once... there was a very vocal faction in strict opposition to the practice -- citing some injury stats, whatever, that it's so much more likely to cause you or others injury because of falls in the transition zone. I have no idea if their stats were valid or merely skewed to support their cause, but they were sure passionate about it! In any event, I was glad to feel like there was a good reason not to learn that trick :) Besides, I don't think I'd get my shoes tight enough if I had to try and scoot into them on the pedals already.

So I think I might look for a late summer Oly Tri instead of the marathon. I'm just really being paranoid about my right knee, but also I think I'd like to be able to *continue* to use it in the years to come! And besides -- I have this gorgeous bike and I live 3 minutes away from the best biking in my area, so I might as well use it to my advantage -- right?

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
So ladies, did you hear/see what I did?

Look!
AWESOME! dh had some for years and cut them off about nine years ago. and HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Ladies, listen up. If you want jeans that look AMAZING and do NOT do the muffin-top thing but still do NOT look like "mom jeans," get your butt to Nordstrom, go to the T.B.D. section and ask for Jag or Kut from the Kloth. They are about $80/pair, but that's similar to GAP, and they are just soooooo much betttttterrrrrrr. And the Jag ones, especially, just feel like you're wearing sweatpants -- they are so soft.
i love love love jeans from ann taylor loft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Our kids think we are nuts, btw. They always think we are going to a race. Yesterday I was eating a Gu before my run and ds1 (3 years) says, "You're eating Gu mom? Can I have some." Hm, my toddlers know what Gu is.

my ds loves gu, sport beans, etc., etc. racing has become such a part of their lifestyle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Well, as they say "the check is in the mail." I faxed my application yesterday, and it was received, and my info packet should be coming in a couple days. Looks like I'm training for a marathon.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
drjen~you need those 20 milers, at least two of them. If nothing else for confidence and time on your feet.
yay! happy for you!!

great! congratulations on registering. i have mixed feelings regarding the number of 20 milers before a marathon. i did my first with just one twenty, and then boston with two or three. yes, i felt better during boston and was faster, but i think that's just from experience of actually running a full marathon rather than from the training plans themselves. i really liked hal's beginner plan for my first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Oh - re: allergies... is it just really bad this year? My poor DH is having a terrible time. He normally is on Claritin in the spring anyway, but this year it's like it's not helping him at all. We still have pollen on the windshields and it seems like it's been that way for longer than usual.
yes -they are AWFUL!

this past weekend, we were away at my college reunion (10 years - eek!). it was an absolute blast. saturday morning, there was supposed to be a 5K race on the cross country trails, which ended up being just a fun run - it was pouring early in the morning so it was kind of cancelled, then when people showed up, it went on. anyway, it was so great - and such a reminder that, even if i had discovered my running gene earlier in life, i wouldn't have necessarily been a good cross country runner - i got lost (resulting in approximately 1.5 extra miles) and ended up bloody.
but it was a blast and i had a great run with another alumni's wife.

dd went rock climbing at the climbing wall on campus and was begging to swim in the pool every chance she got. ds charmed the pants off of everyone - who all reported that he just needs a dirty white baseball cap and a lacrosse stick, and he'll fit in perfectly in fifteen years.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
dd went rock climbing at the climbing wall on campus and was begging to swim in the pool every chance she got. ds charmed the pants off of everyone - who all reported that he just needs a dirty white baseball cap and a lacrosse stick, and he'll fit in perfectly in fifteen years.
What fun! You didn't go to Colby, did you
. Sounds like everyone I went to college with
! That cross country run sounds like a blast (even with the extra mileage and blood...)

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
jenlove - i deleted the 70 mile bike ride one first by accident, should i repost that one?
I haven't decided yet. It can stay off for now. I'll make a post if I change my mind.

Jo - The beginning of July will be lonely here too and most of June. DH will be gone as a counselor again in WI. We definitely have to plan something!

#26 ·
Checking in to sub. I just ran 4 on the treadmill. It was a crazy day - I'm on call and was at the hospital on 3 separate occasions today, plus had birthday cake with the little one summer in there. But after tonight, no call for the whole month of June! I still have my own patients to worry about, but I only have 2 clients planning vaginal births in June, so I'm hoping for a peaceful month. (I have 3 other clients who will be having scheduled cesarean births, but we do those in the daylight.)
Off to shower and then finish the last 30 pages of the Sevenwaters Trilogy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.