hot yoga and breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here is your weirdo question of the day...

before DS, I used to do hot yoga (yoga in a 100 degree room) a few times a week. i loved it. but you lose so many fluids during the class (and drink A TON of water in the process). I'd love to go back and take the class once a week. I haven't called the studio yet to ask, but what do you think- probably a no-no during BFing, right? That's the only reason I haven't gone back- my intuition tells me that level of sweating would not be good while BFing for fear of not producing sufficient milk due to fluid loss. Thoughts? thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned

i think you would produce milk fine (i know a lot of BFing mothers who practice hot yoga), but if your intuition is saying no, then the answer is no. this is a 'no matter what' situation--if your intuition says no, there is a reason, even if we have no clue what that reason is.
#3 of 9 Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Banned

Various symtoms in a baby, as vomiting , diarrhoea , skin rash , eczema or urticaria, conjunctivitis, wheezing or oedema , may hide a food allergy: a food allergic reaction occurs when certain proteins in the food we eat inappropriately react with some component of the immune system, triggering an allergic reaction.

One is ancient, the other modern-- but Pilates and yoga can generate significant benefits for health and fitness before, during, and after pregnancy.

You can easily modify most exercises from your pre-pregnancy fitness routine for safety and comfort throughout your pregnancy. Here's what you need to know to continue your favorite workouts.
#4 of 9 Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by time machine View Post
Various symtoms in a baby, as vomiting , diarrhoea , skin rash , eczema or urticaria, conjunctivitis, wheezing or oedema , may hide a food allergy: a food allergic reaction occurs when certain proteins in the food we eat inappropriately react with some component of the immune system, triggering an allergic reaction.

One is ancient, the other modern-- but Pilates and yoga can generate significant benefits for health and fitness before, during, and after pregnancy.

You can easily modify most exercises from your pre-pregnancy fitness routine for safety and comfort throughout your pregnancy. Here's what you need to know to continue your favorite workouts.
Parts of this post are taken WORD FOR WORD from this website
http://www.babyuniverse.com.au/artic...-food-allergy/
#5 of 9 Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM

That post was sort of bizzare and didn't really follow.
Maybe ask them their reasons if they say no?
#6 of 9 Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM

I did Bikram Yoga 2-3 days a week while BFing when DS was 4 mos- 10 mos and didn't have any issues. Actually, felt it was hugely beneficial.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
#7 of 9 Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 PM

I guess I would be more worried that you may lose weight rapidly doing that... please read this thread on the dangers of losing weight while bfeeding.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5#post11292525

particularly mamaterra's posts.

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

#8 of 9 Old 06-14-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemfrog View Post
I guess I would be more worried that you may lose weight rapidly doing that... please read this thread on the dangers of losing weight while bfeeding.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5#post11292525

particularly mamaterra's posts.
thanks for the tip. this is good info. i probably would be more concerned if DS was younger (he's 17 months) and if the hot yoga caused me to lose weight before (but it didn't). it just felt good.

thanks also to the pp that mentioned bikram yoga. i think that might be a happy medium (just a tad less hot) and there is a studio more convenient to my work than the hot yoga studio.
#9 of 9 Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

bikram yoga typically runs at 106 degrees, where as most general "hot yoga" studios run between 85 and 90 degrees. and bikram also adds more humidity.

in all honesty, i don't see any form of hot yoga as a particular problem for breastfeeding.

but i do feel that your intuition is important in this process. if you like rigorous formso f yoga, you might try unheated places (which typically keep the room between 75 and 80 degrees) for a time and then go back to hot when your intuition tells you that it's a good idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page