July - it's a great month to be a Dingo! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you dingos

I am going to get a number for an IBCLC-hopefully I can find someone today. I think I need to give her some expressed milk-she has had no wet dipes now in over 8 hours. Just not sure how to do it-or how much to give. Hopefully the IBCLC will have some answers for me.

Thanks again-this really sucks-and trying to explain why I am spending so much time with her to K is not going over well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 AM

p'seed I am so sorry this is going on. Can you call LLL too just for some support, if not necessarily the technical expertise? the gentian violet can do wonders but also the hard drugs if necessary, can't remember what it's called, the yeast infection one.
hang in there mama.

we are going camping this weekend to make up for our lack of it last weekend! I didn't think dh would get it together to make the reservations but he did, woo hoo!

must wrangle kids, no running today (I'm still recovering from the trip, I think, I could NOT get out of bed although kids were jumping on me!) but I did 30 minutes of yoga and it felt great. take care mamas.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Yea-I am on the Diflucan and she is on the Nystatin oral. I am also doing the topical GSE on me and swabbing her mouth w. that as well. And then applying the Lamisil on me after the GSE dries.

I am just so aggravated-I was getting through it with trying to stay positive. But I broke down last night and just felt like "why me"-just reliving all of the issues I had with K and the failure. I need to stop and stay positive. We WILL get through this.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Hang in there pumpkinseed. Not much time to post right now but I wanted to send a big old dingo

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM

P'Seed...I hope it all gets better soon Mama!

I'm slow getting going today. I actually slept ok last night, but the not sleeping the past week is catching up with me. My eyes are all puffy today.

Will run at some point today.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM

pumpkinseed--hugs mama. sending some healing vibes your way.

Eksmama--I think running with you got my running motor going again. I did C25K W3/1 on Monday morning with my pups who really enjoyed it. Well, they were tired out by it. I felt GREAT. The longer bits really helped.

Then we came home to discover that although I had keys, DD had been fiddling with the lock and locked the knob, which I did not have a key to. DD and DH were gone to a museum to do this project I had talked them into, so I didn't want to call them and ended up just going to work, with my dogs, in my running clothes, no breakfast, no laptop, etc. My poor dogs were so disappointed to be out walking again (it was pretty hot) that halfway to work my older dog just laid down and refused to go any further. I got her moving and they were so happy to lay on the basement floor at work where it was cool. Dh eventually came home and unlocked the door, so it really wasn't a big deal, but it felt like an adventure.

I hope to do the second workout today but may have to do it tomorrow as today is a really long work/class day. It's DDs full day at school and I really need to use all that time at work and to get my homework done for tonight.

My mom's back in the hospital again with a kidney infection, she's been in since the weekend. It is responding well to the antibiotics but she really doesn't want to be there. The oncologist is supposed to call me directly today to give me the results of the CT scan they did on Monday (bumped up from friday) since it exhausts my parents to try to translate. She's due to start the next round of chemo on Monday.

I just ran out of time, poop, no other personals. thinking about you all.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM

provided I pass the background check I was offered the job and accepted it. Now...on to finishing that dissertation.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
provided I pass the background check I was offered the job and accepted it. Now...on to finishing that dissertation.
: What's the teaching load?

DH had to go take a drug test for a job where he's been a contractor for more than a year.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 PM

[quote=Geofizz;11703346]: What's the teaching load?/quote]

I have two classes -- Env. Geology and Physical Geology (dumb course descriptions because both are entry level, but both are required for a certain group of teachers). Each class has 2 - 2 hr lab sections (which I teach). Basically it's the full time load for a prof there, minus the advising/service work.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Kerc! The state liberal arts college is where I did my undergrad - William & Mary. Everybody always thought it was private, not so. I don't know if you'll find it to be the case, but I think there's a really different type of student there. I was shocked by some of the things I saw/heard from undergrads when I got to Penn State for my grad work - b/c in my experience, undergrads just didn't behave like that, especially with the sense of entitlement and all.

B1, hope your mom is out of the hospital soon.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Congrats, Kerc! The state liberal arts college is where I did my undergrad - William & Mary. Everybody always thought it was private, not so. I don't know if you'll find it to be the case, but I think there's a really different type of student there. I was shocked by some of the things I saw/heard from undergrads when I got to Penn State for my grad work - b/c in my experience, undergrads just didn't behave like that, especially with the sense of entitlement and all.
Hey, I didn't know you went to W and M. There is a HUGE difference in the reputation of W and M vs. U of W Superior . I went from small, private, liberal arts college to Ohio State for graduate work. From having my prof as my instructor for lab to taking a class with 200 students and 2 lab TAs who didn't speak English. oy. awakening.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, DH and I both went there, that's how we met.

I always said I would have never made it as an undergrad at a place like PSU.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM

I did about 50 minutes of yoga this morning. It was lovely!

Way to go kerc!! Congrats!

pumpkinseed -

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM

pumpkinseed~ You sure sound upset. I wish I had some huge piece of advice that would fix everything. I know that when babies refuse to nurse it is often difficult not to feel as if the baby is rejecting you personally. Just remember that that this is a bump in the road. You will be able to help her mouth heal and she will be dying to nurse again.

Maybe after she has gotten some breastmilk in her tummy with the eyedropper you might be able to put her skin to skin in the sling and have some time with your other dc.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Now...on to finishing that dissertation.
You can do it!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM

p'seed~No advice, but lots of and : for you and baby!

kerc~ Congratulations! :

rr~Track this am. 4x800 with 400 recoveries (the really hard-core runners got 6x800 and whined excessively ). I managed sub-8 pace for all of them, ran the last one at 7:18 pace. That's smokin' fast for me! And I was still getting blown by... My knee is still feeling pretty good. : It was a little sore after the track, but is just a little swollen now. I went to the Y a little bit ago for one last swim. Holy schmoley, am I slower than dirt. Seriously, the pros (who start 2 hours after I do) are going to be passing me on the run, I'm so slow on the swim and bike. Oh well, survival is the word for this race!

Off to meet Callie for dinner in a few hours. Yay! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I *think* I have the race list updated except for Penelope's 10K if she would like me to add it. :

I also would just like to send out more : for pumpkinseed and baby G while I am here...

and kate~mom: :

Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Yes, thanks! Sept. 28th, plus a 5K on August 31st. :

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM

am on a lake in new hampshire [with the side of the family that always manages to screw up my chances to attend the dingo meetup] :

just checking in briefly..saw HBM's dh has headaches? i had a bad bad experience but it was only once, i do not usually get headaches when exercising. definitely don't want to scare you but mine ended up being a subarachnoid hemorrhage. anyway, glad he is getting looked at.

also, i LOVE singapore! i used to have to go there a lot for work and it is so clean and pretty! and english is their primary language if i remember correctly...

hugs to all, especially pumpkinseed

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM

posting to report my return from three hectic days doing site inspections in FL. I made it home today by the skin of my teeth - barely making both flights.

last weekend was the mtn bike festival that i organized - and it went very smoothly.

overall - i'm just exhusted so please excuse my lack of personals.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 PM

eksmom ~ can you add the Indiana Downs Sprint Tri on August 3 back to the schedule for me. I decided to do it after all . I deserve it after these three weeks with the kids and no DH .

rr: ran 20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill at the Y and then swam 1700m. I did a 1500m time trial ~ lets just say I think I need to spend more time in the pool!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 PM

I've been on vacation and I got back yesterday. I went to Gulf Shores for a beack trip w/ my kids adn BFF's from high School, then I drove on to New Orleans, picked up dh from teh airport, and spent 5 days w/ family (I'm from New orleans). I ran once all week, LOL

My brother is trainining for an Iron Man race in Oct. He's done Tri's before, but never that distance. He's never even run a Marathon. He's a super strong swimmer, but I worry about him completing the other 2 legs...... But I'm also inspired to do a short distance Tri sometime....

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Cath ~ Awww... Gulf Shores and the Gulf Coast. : My DH and I spent 3 months of the beginning of our marriage in Biloxi (military training for him), and we traveled around to do 5ks (amazing times!!) We ran in Gulf Shores and in the outskirts of New Orleans! I'd love to go back and see it after Katrina.... our apartments are no longer there. They were wiped out. Anyway that was me explaining how jealous I am.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I did a 1500m time trial ~ lets just say I think I need to spend more time in the pool!
lol, you can't possibly be any worse than I am. And you've got more than 4 days to go before your oly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
My brother is trainining for an Iron Man race in Oct. He's done Tri's before, but never that distance. He's never even run a Marathon. He's a super strong swimmer, but I worry about him completing the other 2 legs...... But I'm also inspired to do a short distance Tri sometime....
You should TOTALLY do it! Of course, I'm biased, but sprint distance triathlons really aren't as much of a reach as most people think they are. If *I* could do it last summer, pretty much anyone can. If you have a Danskin or other women's only tri in your area, that's a GREAT way to break into the sport...much lower pressure than other tris and SO supportive!

Back from having dinner with Callie...it was so much fun! She's super sweet and we had a great time chatting over some really yummy pizza and a quick tour of downtown Denver. DS was absolutely the hit of the restaurant as he flirted his head off with everyone in sight.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 AM

Flying by, just wanted to send out a big to P'seed and a seriously late on the draw one for Balancin1.
HBM - Singapore sounds cool! Go go go! And I hope your dh is just dehydrated or something.

Kerc

Dh left today, my mom is doing pretty well. She's really helping out a lot, a major breakthrough after years and years of barge queening iykwim.

I haven't gotten any runs in recently (Hello Me! 8.8k is ONE MONTH FROM TODAY :
We have one gosling left and a bald eagle doing flyovers every few hours. Poor guy.
Okay, I : to you all but I need to shower today.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 AM

hello again all,
I posted on this (well, one of the many) threads ages ago, but I couldn't keep up! I may try now.

I'm in the last 5 weeks before my first marathon, August 23rd, Reykjavik.
I'll be really happy with 5 hours or under - I'm slow!

I'm trying to think of what to do after. I started running in April 2007 specifically to do this marathon (it's a fundraiser). I'm thinking triathalon, but I still don't know whether I have time to head to the pool. Swimming is my strongest part of a triathalon, but I don't have good technique.

The other possibility is working on getting faster 5-10 k times, but since I am not overly fond of the first 30 minutes of my run, that might be a hard sell for me.

Oh, and I am also having huge guilt about hiring a babysitter for dd (age 3) while I do my marathon. My brother was going to come and decided not to, and dd still won't sleep without me...plus we are going to a farm afterwards for a few days to play with horsies and sheep, so she will really like that.

Anyway, hi!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
You totally should! tjsmama is right ~ find yourself a Danskin and sign up. Danskin was my first tri too, and totally hooked me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
lol, you can't possibly be any worse than I am. And you've got more than 4 days to go before your oly!

Sounds like a great dinner with Callie. BTW, we are most likely heading to Denver so DS can compete in the National Speed Stacking Championships next April!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
I'm in the last 5 weeks before my first marathon, August 23rd, Reykjavik.
I'll be really happy with 5 hours or under - I'm slow!

I'm trying to think of what to do after. I started running in April 2007 specifically to do this marathon (it's a fundraiser). I'm thinking triathalon, but I still don't know whether I have time to head to the pool. Swimming is my strongest part of a triathalon, but I don't have good technique. The other possibility is working on getting faster 5-10 k times, but since I am not overly fond of the first 30 minutes of my run, that might be a hard sell for me.

Oh, and I am also having huge guilt about hiring a babysitter for dd (age 3) while I do my marathon. My brother was going to come and decided not to, and dd still won't sleep without me...plus we are going to a farm afterwards for a few days to play with horsies and sheep, so she will really like that.

Anyway, hi!
Good luck on your first marathon! And don't feel guilty about hiring a sitter so you can race. It will be okay and you will be so glad you did the marathon. As for your next race, well, I'm partial to triathlons .

Yawn.... DD1 woke me up at 6:00am this morning. Even though we've been totally TV free for the last month, I relented and am letting her watch a Berenstein Bears DVD while I attempt to wake up. Hope that decision doesn't bite me later as she begs and pleads for "just one more, Mama"!

And miracle of miracles, I got on my scale this morning and I'm down another 5 lbs. to 114 ! I haven't weighed this little since, well, I can't remember! I am noticing that the weight loss has really impacted my knee pain, as in, I don't have any anymore!!!!!! I have a goal of 110 for my race, and I actually think I might be able to get there over the next 5.5 weeks. Tonight I'm riding with the tri club from the YMCA and probably adding a short run at the end again.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Wow Jaygee, that's awesome! Good for you.

Widemouthedfrog-I am so excited for you and your first marathon. Please keep us updated so we can cheer you along here.

Plady- yup, sometimes those showers are really important.

Gaye and Callie-I'm so jealous of your meetup!

Cathtoria-I'm glad you had a good trip. We'll be there next week!

Mandy-sounds like quite a trip. Get some rest!

Pumpkinseed-How's it going?

I'm heading to the Y for a short run and then body sculpt class.

It looks like dh has made his mind up to not go to Singapore. I'm totally bummed and he just doesn't get it. I really feel like we're missing out on a great opportunity. He feels like it's too much of a hassle and that his job here is a really good thing and it would be dumb to leave it (I acutally do agree with that part). Oh well. It was fun to dream about it for a few days.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM

HBM, I missed the singapore discussion. were you thinking of moving there? I could never do something like that. I like the stability and familiaraity of my life here too much.

Are you going to gulf shores? where are you staying? I forgot the details.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 PM

I am seeing a LC this morning at 11-the night was not well-we tried to supplement -she isnt taking any of it by any method Still no poops-its going on 36 hrs and boobs really soft. Argh. She hardly nursed at all during the night and finally did at 9 this morning. She is super sleepy. I am calling the dr after we see the LC and know more (weight, how much she is taking in, etc...) I broke down again this morning-and my dh told me that it wasn't the end of the world if I couldn't bf. He just doesnt get it-and it makes me sad because he is such a supportive person. He is obviously super concerned about G as am I. And K had a no good horrible day yesterday to add insult to injury and I think he sees me "neglecting" her as I am focusing on trying to get G better Why is being a mom so flipping difficult????

I need a run-ha-ha-if I wasn't so anemic I would go try it-I know its not at all possible as I am still feeling exhausted, but still. That is my RR contribution to this thread

User Tag List