July - it's a great month to be a Dingo! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
plady, I seem to remember you guys had a failed camping trip not so long ago? sucks. thanks for commiserating.

kerc, my mom had ringworm (hazards of preschool teaching) and I seem to remember prescription meds involved bc it wouldn't go away. sorry....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM

HBM, prayers for your dh.. thought I missed teh background.

ringworm... yes, athletes foot meds clear it up, like lotramin. But I'd be concerned abotu it on her girly parts, and I prob woudl take her in. Be prepared for "questions" form teh ped about it though, you know to rule out any kind of abuse (based on my experience anyway)

MB, sorry abotu teh puke/camp trip. I'd love to know where this place is... we need to start camping again, we used to go often before kids.....

I'm asking here, hoping to fly under teh MDC radar, LOL, b/c I think this may be against the policies. But can anyone recommend a message board for general gym work outs and weight loss. SOmewhere that does not push diet foods, or even diets. I always think of little things that I'd like to ask/discuss or research while I am at teh gym, and they seem too OT to post here at MDC. I use sparkpeople sometimes, but I find their forum hard to navigate. I like this kind of forum format. TIA!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM

hello dingos!

I just got back last nite from spending the week in Denver teaching a sustainability class :

and best of all got to meet Gaye, her adorable son Tyler who I'm plotting to set up w/ Nora, and eat yummy pizza at a restaurant they took me to.

I had a great treadmill run while I was there, but otherwise have been pretty sluggish maybe this weekend will be better...

i'm hopelessly behind on the thread, but wanted to especially send a huge :: for kerc on the job! and s to everyone else too!!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 PM

mamabeth~ for your aborted camping trip. Major bummer. Next time you fly through here, let me know (well, if you have more than an hour!). I could come meet you for coffee in the terminal.

kerc~Unfortunately, I have a wealth of experience with ringworm, thanks to the amount of time I've spent around high school wrestlers. I'm one of the lucky athletic trainers though who has never actually caught it myself! You definitely need an anti-fungal, and with the location, I would for sure go to the doctor. If it was elsewhere, I'd say to try an OTC anti-fungal med first, but I'd probably go for the big guns since it's in her girly bits. (slightly OT...some of my wrestlers used to self-treat their ringworm by get this--burning it out with bleach. Yowch! Made me cringe every time...and no, I did not endorse this method!)

I am exhausted. This whole being TWO thing is way too tiring. The zoo was up and down, we had a good time and then had a complete meltdown on the way out. I can't remember the last *easy* diaper change we had...every change has involved pinning him down because he either doesn't want to lay there for the change, or because he thinks it's absolutely hysterical to kick mommy while I'm trying to change him. : How can someone so little be so freaking strong??? I need a break!

On the bright side, I emailed a friend (a new friend, almost more of an aquaintance) up in Boulder (where my race is) to see if she would want to meet up for lunch after I pick up my packet tomorrow, and she completely out of the blue offered to let me stay with her tomorrow night so I don't have to drive back and forth twice and get up at 3am on Sunday. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 AM

kerc - that'd be an odd location for ringworm - does anyone else have it in the family? Another possibility that I see commonly in young children is nummular eczema - small, often round patches of red, flaky skin that itch. Technically, ringworm should show central clearing (the center of the patch looks less affected than the outer ring) but in practice, it can be very difficult to tell them apart. Ringworm is usually easily treated with over the counter anti fungals like lotrimin while eczema often requires good, gentle skin care and an anti-inflammatory like hydrocortisone or similar family. If it were my kid, I'd try a daily bath and washing with a very gentle soap like unscented Dove, then twice a day applying a little lotrimin (or any fungal cream you have) and a little hydrocortisone 1%, both over the counter. If I wasn't seeing improvement in 3-4 days, I'd head to the doc for a definite diagnosis and treatment. Unless the child is miserable or getting worse fast, a few days of home remedy will not hurt. Also, don't let her sit in a wet swim suit or damp or really sweaty clothes if at all possible, get her clean and dry as quick as you can when you need to.

mamabeth - that really sucks about your camping trip. I wish kids came with a puke meter so you could tell when they're done. Last year, I let ds2 go to his band concert because he had only thrown up once, early in the morning and been totally fine all day - so of course he threw in public, in front of 500 people at the concert, and also puked all over his lovely young teacher who ran to try and rescue him and sneak him out the back quickly. You just never know, huh?

RR - I ran a very hot and slow 5 miles Wed night and my legs felt like absolute Jello. This felt like my recovery run from that long hill run we did Sat, but I had already run Mon and felt great. Very weird. I've had a bit of a cold, though, and not enough sleep this week, and it was very hot, so maybe those all added up. I took an extra rest day yesterday (today is my regular rest day) as this is a fall back week anyway. I'm hoping to do an early solo 9 miles tomorrow cause I'm on call all weekend.

NRR - send some labor vibes to my friend/client. She's due Mon, but her BP is climbing and we may need to do something sooner. Her baby #2 (this is baby #4) has severe hypoxic brain damage from a placental abruption at birth, so this is really scary for her and I, and we really want to do the right thing for this baby.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 AM

RR: 3 miles done

GOOD LUCK RACERS THIS WEEKEND!!!!

CherylAnn
2babybees
tjsmama

Can't wait to read some race reports!

DrJen - : for your friend!!

Old 07-19-2008, 02:25 AM

Thanks Callie!!

Good luck to 2babybees and tjsmama!!

Sophia decided to do the Try-a-tri with me on Sunday. Woohoo!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Good luck Racers!!!!!

CherylAnn ~ that is so cool that your DD is going to do the tri with you! You'll have a blast!

I am having the hardest time sleeping with DH away. I wake up a million times a night, can't get back to sleep, and am up for the day at a ridiculously early time. DD1 insisted last night that she doesn't need a nighttime diaper anymore, so with the added assurance of a waterproof mattress cover, I let her go for it. I just checked her and she is DRENCHED, but sleeping through it all. Yuck. Laundry in my future, and lots of it. I am planning a long, slow 8 miles this morning at the Y (yeah, that's 9 torturous loops around the cinder trail...) but I really, really need a run today.

Have some GREAT RACES this weekend!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 AM

jaygee, i am the same way with dh gone. until about the 3rd night when I'm so tired I just fall into bed early and zonk.

drjen, I totally know what you mean about the puke meter if we could have had a written guarantee that he would NOT foul the tent....but oh well. your poor ds!

tjsmama, I will totally let you know! I thought about it, but seriously there was 45 minutes between each flight (the gates were really close though). And I know the airport is far out, wasn't sure where you lived. oh, and GO MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!

Is cherylann still doing her race? I thought she had taken herself off, but just in case... GO CHERYLANN!!!!! 2BBs if you are lurking, I'd love to hear from you, mama.

I ran 8.5 this morning...it's a bad air day and already in the 70s, so I felt kind of sluggish, but did about 10 min miles. And...I'm thinking of putting a marathon on the calendar for '09. Either Jacksonville, FL, or the one HBM is doing. hmmmm.....
Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM

MB - And having all those pics of the Dingo camping trip fresh in your memory could only have made the decision to call it that much harder!

DrJen - I feel like such an old timer because I remember that puke-at-the-concert story! And : : for your mama friend. I'll say some prayers and deputize an angel I know to check in on her.

Kerc - on the job(s).

JayGee - : I hope this morning turns out to be an exception to the rule.

I can sleep fine while dh is away but I feel like I don't get enough accomplished. Like, right this minute I should be doing something productive but I don't want to wake up the girls by going back to the bedroom to get dressed. These few quiet moments when they're all (including my mom ) asleep are so precious!

Tjsmama! It's here! Race weekend! I can't wait to hear your report And I hate it when fun playdates go to that evil tantruming place at the end, but that's how you know it was awesome.

CherylAnn - No worries mama, we're all washingtonians now so we'll get it together sooner or later! (and maybe by then we'll be able to lure Poppy up our way too!) And next weekend is my Relay for Life weekend so I'm sure I'll be crashing out when it's over. Our team consists of me, dh, dd1 and the race director. : I'm not sure we'll be able to keep someone walking every minute of the 18 hours, but we'll see.
HAVE A GREAT TRI!!!! You are a : the swim will be no prob!

Cathtoria - What could be OT at the Dingo Cafe? Honestly woman, you say it's about working out, fire away!

RR: Nope. Nada. Still nothing. But I am ready to test for my yellow belt in TKD in 10 days and I am LOVING it. It's so funny when an activity is so right it just feels like breathing, even when you are working to hard to catch a breath ) Alas if only I could get that feeling more often when I run I bet I wouldn't be such a wanker about getting my runs in.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 07-19-2008, 01:17 PM

grnmtnmama my mom has hypothyroidism as well...but she's got a mess of problems anyway. I know I'm always checking myself because of that. I really hope genetically I take after my dad, he and his family are super healthy. I hope it's all good.

MB - hope the ct scan goes well and you get news quickly.

jaygee - I hope your long run went well this morning

MB good getting out there!

Cathtoria - plady is too right! Nothing is OT here in the cafe

DrJen - I remember the concert puke too....poor thing.

I'm dog-sitting jgmommo's dog this weekend, she's been sending emails to jgmommo's dd... I took her this morning for a 6 mile run, the heat must've really been bothering her, she was pretty sluggish. We stopped at some ponds several times and we went early. So either she was hot or out of shape...although I know jgmommo takes her for at least 6 mile runs...

I'm doing an 8k next weekend. And then 13 on Sunday. Speaking of which, DrJen what are you up to now? And Kate~Mom what new race are you doing? You mentioned doing the summer series...what does that entail?

I think I found a trail run that's in august that looks like a lot of fun. You can do 6, 12, or 18 miles. I think I'll do the 12 miles.

I really got sticker shock from the usaf 1/2 marathon, but when you look at that I don't have to pay for hotel or any of that stuff it seems like it's still a better deal, but I do feel like I'm getting ripped off.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM

I forgot to say a big "WELCOME!!" to all the newbies. I hope you stick around... this is a lovely, happy place. Even when few of us are feeling lovely & happy

Speaking of... yeah, I still feel like total crap. In some ways I feel worse today than the last couple days. I have a raging headache (OK, that one is mostly my fault, probably, as I chose to self-medicate with ridiculous amounts of white wine last night) and I'm still just so congested I can barely think straight. I will pick up some Zicam on the way out of town and see how that goes for me. I've never tried it before.

Lots of other stuff on my mind about you all, but my brain hurts too much to keep writing right now!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:36 PM

I only did 6.3 miles this morning, since we got going a little late and I didn't want to leave the kiddoes in child care at the Y too long. But, I did a little test to see what my "easy" pace is ~ basically, I ran the loop (.9 miles) 7 times without looking at my Garmin, and then checked the average pace at the end. I didn't push it, just ran comfortably. I was just shocked to see my comfortable run pace was 8:33 min/mile ! I am getting faster!

We also went to the Farmers' Market this morning and I am in fresh peach heaven right now. Those things were orgasmic, I tell ya ! Off to the pool now, to cool off a little with my three favorite sidekicks !

Old 07-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Kristina - I'm a big peach fan too! I bought some while I was in Florida and ate 4 in about 6 hours. Ripe peaches are absolute nirvana!

Can I just say how happy I am to be at home today. Just doing laundry and cleaning up and getting organized and hanging out drinking iced tea and reading magazines. Our perennial gardens are so pretty and i feel like I'm never at home, it's so nice to be here!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:24 PM

grnmtnmama ~ I am a homebody and your day is sounding divine.

JayGee ~ Those peaches sound great. We got raspberries in our CSA basket this week (yesterday) and we just finished them off.

doctorjen ~ : to the mama of her #4. May it be a healthy and positive delivery.

I am off to my parent's house for a cookout, and I am thinking about packing my running shoes to at least go for a walk/hike around their land.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 07-19-2008, 04:55 PM

We pitched the tent and "camped" in the backyard last night. I did not make it the whole night! I need to find a way to sleep in a tent. Sharing an air mattress with dh is aweful! He weighs 60lbs more than me.

I was telling dh the kids need to go to spend the night with my parents. They are driving me nuts. I'm not usually like that, but I think we all have cabin fever or something. Some good friends called and wanted to go out tonight and that's all I need to call my Mom!

Did my tm run just awhile ago. The tm is in the basement and it's coolish down there, but we don't use the air conditioning down there, so I sweat alot. I don't know why but dd noticed today and said "eeww you'er sure sweating, do you want me to get you a towel to wipe that off?" LOL!

Gosh..I was thinking of something else..but hear more arguing ...will be back later!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 PM

Race Report:

My sister and I had a good time doing the 10k. I felt better than I expected to and she felt worse. We finished together in 1:13:09. Far, far away from my PR, but heck, how often do I get to run with my sister, let alone have her to myself for an hour and 13 minutes! It was really great.

Dh kicked butt on his Olympic Tri. I'm so proud of him. I'm not sure what his official time was, but somewhere around 2:45:00.

The race was run by a bunch of our good friends. Consequently, the commeraderie was really nice. I also knew everyone at all the water stations. I got to introduce my sister to all the people I hang out with here...my coworkers, closest friends, etc. Everyone was so proud of dh.

Sophia and I have to take our bikes down there this evening, to get all set up for tomorrow's tri. She's going to do so well.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:58 PM

WTG CherylAnn and CherylAnn's sis and DH!!!

Have a great time tomorrow w/ your DD!

tjsmama - have a great race tomorrow!

jaygee- you are getting fast!

Mandy - I think I missed your post about hypothyroid, I've been struggling w/ that ever since having DD - hope the bloodwork is illuminating!!

Speaking of doctors... I need some advice on a TMI issue... I have my annual exam Monday, and am worried about my cycles but I have awful white collar anxiety and don't know what to ask!!! AF came back when DD was about 19 mo - a year ago, but my cycles still average about 45-50 days and everything is so different compared to prechild... awful acne at ovulation and pre-AF, when I O, I am nauseous and have several hours of shooting pains always on the right side, and between O and AF I have night sweats, wake up burning up (I am a cold natured person).... Is all this normal for your body getting back to normal or should I be asking anything specific to the doc??? (I don't know if the thyroid is involved, it seems fairly well managed on meds)

Old 07-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Callie just describe with detail everything you just said here, ask if it's normal or not? It seems to me having cycles that long seems unusual, but I don't know...I don't know the range of normal.

So ds still won't go to sleep. He fell asleep at 7p like normal, but for the fourth night in a row woke up after about an hour and just won't go back to sleep. I finally just laid him down and told him night night. He didn't cry or anything. Every now and then he gets up and I just tell him to lay down and night night. He lays down surprisingly. I just don't know what's keeping him up. At least this is less stressful than the other nights. Never mind...there he goes....gah what am I going to do with him? He's killin' me.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:06 AM

BBM - Gah is right mama. I don't know how you retain your sanity. I'm expecting to be up super early tomorrow because Ali G fell asleep at the unheard of hour of 7 pm tonight. And she slept in this morning until 9. What's going on?

Callie - I'd write down all that and bring it to the doc and then just give the doc your notes. I find that I edit my own notes if I just tell the doc and I usually leave out something important. In fact I'll go take my own advice. On monday I've got an appt with a chiro, I figure 10.5 months of hip and lower back pain is enough, right?

CherylAnn -Great race! It sounds like fun with all your buddies there!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Plady -growth spurt? New skill? Thanks for the commiseration. And yes, 10 1/2 months is long enough.

Dh (not so D right now) was out with his friends ALL day and evening. I'm irked at him right now because the deal was for me to get to sleep in. We see how that's going by the time of this post, 'eh? And he has the gall to say, but you got to sleep in yesterday... yeah till 7am. I could sleep in for an entire week and that would equal taking care of the kids yesterday by themselves. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but the kids were hard yesterday. Very hard. Dd hit me twice, pinched me, said some rather mean things, etc. I kept my cool, but it wasn't like a fun play day I'd had in mind when I knew dh was going to be gone all day. The evening at least was fun with dd. We went walking downtown, picked up a "healthy" pizza, came home ate, and watched "The Last Mimzy." Bedtime was stressful though 'cause that's when ds decided to wake up. Sigh. Oh and the air conditioning went out.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:13 AM

BBM, sorry your H is being not so D. They really don't get it sometimes do they.

Plady, uh, yeah. Go to the chiro ! That's long enough.

tjsmama ~ thinking about you this morning! Can't wait to read your Oly RR, since I'm already stressing about mine and it's still 5 weeks away !

Well, DH has been gone for one week, only 13 more days to go. So far it seems to be going well. I took all 3 to the IU outdoor pool yesterday and it went much better than I'd even hoped. DS is a very good swimmer now, and spends all his time on the diving board/platform, so he's pretty hands off. Both DDs are happy just to repeatedly jump off the side of the pool over and over and over. The only hard part is that DD1 continuously demands my attention to the detriment of the other two.

Today I am taking them all over to the bike trail, so DS and DD1 can ride their bikes while I run with DD2 in the jogger. I'm not expecting more than 3 miles or so, but at least it's forward motion, right?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Callie-your post really caught my attention. I've been having weird cycle stuff since they started back after J was born. The time around O is horrible-it's like PMS with acne, bloating, back aches, and pain around my ovaries. It stops for about a week and then I get PMS. My cycles are around 31-33 days, so basically half of my life is spend with PMS-y stuff. : I suppose I should go to the GYN. It's been almost 2 years. :

We had a garage sale yesterday and it went pretty well. We tried selling our treadmill, but it didn't go. I suppose I'll put it on Craigslist today.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 07-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Most of teh stuff that I want to discuss/read/learn about is related to HR training and using my HRM to lose weight most quickly.

Here's one boring question...... Does anyone else ever "feel" this..... when I run or get my HR really high doing cardio, do you ever sense an amonia smell? Nothing like an AM Cloth Dipe amonia smell :... but more like you can sense/smell amonia in the back of your nose/throat. I've sensed this when running for 25+ years, and more recently I've noticed that I sense it when my HR gets above 160. Anyone else get this and does it mean anything??

Non RR... yesterday we went boating on the lake. I used to love to kneeboard years ago. I tried last summer, adn could not come close to getting my body up and on teh board (Too much weight and not enough core and upperbody strength). Yesterday, i got up 3 times in teh am, and once in teh afternoon. My arm are REALLY sore this am, but I am so proud of myself

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I'm asking here, hoping to fly under teh MDC radar, LOL, b/c I think this may be against the policies. But can anyone recommend a message board for general gym work outs and weight loss. SOmewhere that does not push diet foods, or even diets. I always think of little things that I'd like to ask/discuss or research while I am at teh gym, and they seem too OT to post here at MDC. I use sparkpeople sometimes, but I find their forum hard to navigate. I like this kind of forum format. TIA!
I just registered at Shape.com 's forums. Not my fave workout mag, but their forums are in teh format that I like. I checked Self.com and womenshealth.com and I either could not find their boards or did not like them. anyone visit any of those?

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
Here's one boring question...... Does anyone else ever "feel" this..... when I run or get my HR really high doing cardio, do you ever sense an amonia smell? Nothing like an AM Cloth Dipe amonia smell :... but more like you can sense/smell amonia in the back of your nose/throat. I've sensed this when running for 25+ years, and more recently I've noticed that I sense it when my HR gets above 160. Anyone else get this and does it mean anything??
: Wow, someone else out there with this!

I struggled with this when I first started running a year after K was born. DH could smell it, too. All the stuff I found was from ultra-altheletes and weightlifters talking about this after a very intense workout. Ummm, not me. However, evidently that smell indicates burning protein during the workout (=not good). I couldn't figure out if it meant I needed to give myself more carbohydrates to burn instead, or if it meant I needed to have more protein in my body (I don't recall the logic on that second one), but I did manage to more or less solve the smell problem was to eat a half a slice of ww bread with almond butter as I was getting dressed to go out. I get it again occasionally when I'm not eating as much as usual and when I'm increasing my workout load more than normal.

Hope that helps.

Any other post-camping kids *still* acting short on sleep?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM

I don't get an ammonia smell, but I do get an oxygen kind of a smell. Don't know how to describe it - kind of like the ozone before a thunderstorm.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
:Any other post-camping kids *still* acting short on sleep?
YES! E. has been a total space cadet all week - this is how she acts when she's tired, and O. is consistently a disaster after being awake for a two hour period. E. and i are going away for girls' weekend next week, and i am SOOO looking forward to it.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM

Hello all! I'm a newbie runner, just posted on a different thread and got alerted to this one so I'm going to start by copying what I wrote there...

I'm a new jogger - started on the cool running 5K plan 6 weeks ago which works you up with walk / jogging. This morning I did my first 20 minute straight jog!!

I'm planning / hoping to jog in a charity 5K here in September, it's a charity started by a firefighter family / friends here that lost their 6 month old baby to leukemia earlier this year. Here's a linkie: http://www.mightymeehan.com/events/events.htm

I'm jogging every other day and I go alone, it's my time to really just be with my thoughts - I just love it. Totally addicted already.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM

I don't know if it's post camping, but dd has been a holy terror the last couple of days. E caught up after a few days it seemed like. But you know, his sleep always sucks so how would I know the difference?

So will anyone need some 12 month boy summerish clothes? I have some adorable stuff I'll want to pass on (including geo's bunny outfit ).

User Tag List