July - it's a great month to be a Dingo! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 667 Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What an amazing RR! Congratulations on doing such a great job, especially in that heat.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#422 of 667 Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 PM

awesome RR Gaye!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#423 of 667 Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 PM

gaye - :

RM and cherylann -

did i miss the recipe for baked oatmeal? yum! i want some!
i looked at the recipe blog, but didn't see it...

i'll be largely MIA due to move stress....:
wish us luck!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#424 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 AM

I have loved the race reports! I can't imagine finishing an Oly tri, and am so impressed! And CherylAnn, following behind one of your children completing a tri is so inspiring!

I've been running away - last week was a step back week and I ran just 9 miles on Sat. Last night, I was ready to go for a short recovery run but ended up having to go to the hospital to admit someone. I decided to still try to squeeze in the run, so had dh drop me at the hospital. I admitted my patient, changed into running clothes, and ran home in the dark (3 miles.) Running in the dark turns out to be a good speed workout method for me! Tonight, I ran 3.5 while Justin ran with the summer kids' running group. He's so proud of himself for getting better endurance and faster this summer. I ran with another jog stroller mom (who is much faster than me, but was looking to do an easy run) and it was a good time. I'm planning 14 for Sat. My labor nurse friend and I are going to drive to the Team in Training group run to do the 14. They are only doing 10, but she and I will do 10 with them and then another 4. At least this way, 10 will be supported with water, gatorade, and cheering support along the way.

I've been fairly down since Sat when I sat down with my partners to discuss how we are going to cover call with the 4th partner leaving. I'm going to have to cancel my trip to San Diego in Sept. I was planning to attend the Amer. Academy of Family Physicians annual meeting, and was meeting my best friend and a couple other friends from residency there. Unfortunately, all 3 of us remaining partners had planned to be gone that week with the 4th covering, and with him gone, someone has to cancel. I was the only one traveling alone, so the logical one to cancel. I'm not really mad at my partners, but just aggravated at the whole situation. I don't get that much time away, you know? I told them today, though, what I wanted for a consolation prize. The weekend I was planning to go is the weekend the last 20 miler before the marathon should be. I originally planned to run it alone on Monday after I returned home. Since I have to cancel, I'm going to close our clinic that Sat so I can go and run that 20 with the group as a supported run. I figure I should get some consolation out of having to cover the whole practice for a week and missing my trip!

I've been consoling myself with a chick flick marathon with my older dd. We saw Mamma Mia yesterday in the theater, then rented Step Up 2 last night. Tonight was Dirty Dancing (the original movie.) Oh my word, younger Patrick Swayze dancing without a shirt! I think my dd was embarrassed to be seen with me . . .
#425 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:46 AM

Gaye, loved your race report!!!

Dr.Jen That's so frustrating. How long do you think it will take to hire another doc?

Megs and Plady!!! Yoohoo!!! Guess what? We canceled our Vegas trip because we need to not spend the money. That means that I'll get to go to Megs' event and that I can house as many of you as want to stay with me. Keep in mind that I'm 45 minutes from Wenatchee (I'm not sure how far from the event...probably less than 45 minutes). So, I'm putting the event on my calendar and I'm really excited!
#426 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 AM

Great report, Gaye! I've been so looking forward to reading about your race. You've given me renewed hope that I can do it too . Megs, you're next on the Oly Tri train!!!! So, which one of us is stepping up next season for the Half-Iron !!!!!

Dr. Jen, that sounds so frustrating, but I think your "consolation prize" is a good compromise. Hope your practice finds another good, like-minded doctor soon .

CherylAnn ~ sorry your trip to vegas got cancelled, but WOOO HOO for another dingomeet!

Last night I got to try out the wetsuit I'm borrowing for my tri. Dang, that thing is tough to get on, but once it's in place, watch out! I finished 100m free in the wetsuit in 1:40 ~ unheard of fast for me! The buoyancy just puts your body in the right position for flying through the water. Amazing! Of course, my swim got cut way short because I spent the majority of the time cramming my body into neoprene and then gabbing with the woman who is loaning it to me, but I'm glad to have that issue worked out. Apparently, Lake Michigan is kind of nippy, even in August.

DH has been gone 10 days now, and 10 more to go . Halfway there!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#427 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 AM

AWESOME RACE, GAYE!!! Congratulations!! :

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#428 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Gaye, Dude! You have every right to still be tired. That was some race. I am so impressed.

Mamabeth and I went to see Mama Mia last night. It was SO good.

Gotta go-more later....

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#429 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
II've been consoling myself with a chick flick marathon with my older dd. We saw Mamma Mia yesterday in the theater, then rented Step Up 2 last night. Tonight was Dirty Dancing (the original movie.) Oh my word, younger Patrick Swayze dancing without a shirt! I think my dd was embarrassed to be seen with me . . .
I love watching chick flicks with my 8yo.. though I have to be selective and make sure teh language is okay and that there are no sex scenes, LOL. But I can not wait until all 3 are a little older, and when dh is traveling, the 4 of us can snuggle together and watch movies like that. fun fun!!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#430 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM

I'm sorry to interrupt the conversation but I am trying to start a new thread because I have a question about breastfeeding could someone please tell me how to do that?
#431 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM

brighteyes - go to the forum where you want to start a new thread (Breastfeeding perhaps - or here if you are wanting to talk about breastfeeding and exercise?) and click on the forum title you want, then click "New Thread" which is on the left at the top directly across from where all page numbers for existing threads are. Type a title for your new thread and then type a message and hit "Submit New Thead"
#432 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM

You may have to add me to the list of dingoes with family drama. DH got a call yesterday from his brother. Seems his wife was in town and stopped by to see my MIL over the weekend (first time since Christmas) . Very concerned about MIL's weight loss, but doesn't say anything to her or ask any questions.

The phone call to us was asking DH and specifically me ('cause I'm a nurse) to go check on her and give them a call afterwards to report on what I think may be going on.

Nice discussion about all this with DH, but we have a pretty good idea what's going on. MIL is 80 y/o, has smoked for more than 50 years, has heart problems, and high blood pressure (that we know of). She also has worked in physician offices as a biller for many years, so knows enough about medical conditions.
My SIL ( who quit nursing school 2 credits short of graduation) lives with her and another one is over visiting every day. I strongly suspect that MIL has lung cancer and she knows it and either had it confirmed or is hoping that not getting it confirmed means it isn't real. Everyone else seems unconcerned or in denial.
We see MIL every few weeks and talk with her weekly. She has always been a warm and welcoming person, but there are just things that you don't discuss outside your very immediate family. DIL's are not very immediate family.

My BIL is going to want her to go to the doctor to get something confirmed and to do something. My feeling is that even if we do that, what will it change. Most of the time when someone goes to the doctor to rule out a terminal illness, they already have a pretty good idea of what's going on. Amateur psychologist part of me thinks he feels guilty for all the time he spent with his wife's family where they live and not enough time with his mom in the last 30 years.

The only advantage I see, is if she has cancer, to encourage hospice care so she can remain comfortable and use the social services/ grief services to help her and her kids say goodbye.

I need to go visit anyway to take her some veggies from the garden, but I feel like skipping all the covert activity and just asking her outright.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#433 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM

RM ~ Congrats on the TM.

poppy ~ Good luck with the move!

tjsmama ~ Awesome RR! Wowzers and in the heat! You rock!

I woke up and did a short meditation and some prenatal yoga. It was yummy! I just finished some mama tea and now my belly is calling for food. 11 weeks today! :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#434 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:08 PM

: : : JenLove!

Gaye

CherylAnn

Poppy! That was a fast turnaround from decision to going!

DrJen

Mothercat - yeah, why beat around the bush if she's having obvious symptoms?

RM -

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#435 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM

tjsmama - awesome RR!!! What a great race and time!!!

CherylAnn - I loved your RR too! WTG to you and your DD!!!

mothercat - that sounds like a tough situation!

DrJen - that is so frustrating, but I'm glad you'll be able to take off for the 20 miler, that one is a lot easier w/ a group!!

: Jennie!! (I love the facebook birthday notices )

RR: 3 miles done this AM

NRR: I went to the doc yesterday, and she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong w/ having irregular, 50 day cycles, and painful ovulation/wacky periods.... (HBM - she said it is common to have very different cycles after each pregnancy, but couldn't explain to me why ovulation was so bad now...) and basically said I should just go on BCP to 'make it all go away' No offense to the wonderful medical professionals among the dingos, but I hate going to the doctor. I wish they would just try to treat me like an intelligent person and explain things, instead of waving their hands to 'make it all go away' :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#436 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Callie - that's frustrating.

i just came back from the dr myself, ekg was fine and all the bloodwork they did came back fine as well (at least as inspected by the doc on staff who is not my normal doc). it's just frustrating as i'm tired of not feeling right. sigh.

mothercat - i would just ask her outright, she may not answer you truthfully or fully and there's not much you can do.

back to work.
#437 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM

ditto Mandy on talking to MIL. I'm no good at playing games and would just ask out right. She has less to protect in telling you as well. It would be harder to tell your son or daughter that you have cancer, KWIM?

Mandy - I hope you can figure it out.

Gaye that is just awesome! WELL DONE!!

DrJen - having met your older dd now I can just picture her reaction to your drools over young Patrick Swayze. Gave me a good tickle.

So does anyone have a 5-7 y.o. that would like to be a pen pal with my dd? That will stick with it? She was writing to her cousin (14) and she was answering but she just quit and dd's really disappointed. So I thought if she could find someone else to write back and forth with...Well I do the writing, she dictates.
#438 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Add me to the list of just returned from doctor. Had my visit with the rheumatologist and it went well. He seemed fine, talked a LOT of jargon that I couldn't keep up with. He told me I am "healthy as a horse". His first impression is that it is NOT Lupus. Had ELEVEN viles of blood drawn and a pee test. Wait for results now and keep hoping and praying for the best.

RR: dh got on the TM again today. Dr. talked "running" with me and told me to "KEEP RUNNING and exercising" !!! Said I didn't look that tan for all the running I do, which then I explained by the fact that most of it is on the TM.

Overall, very : about how things went and will wait patiently now for more test results.

RR: Yesterday's run for all the families needing peace and love went great. Four miles and some weights, PT exercises, and some abs.

Thanks for the run for me and all the hugs, I sure felt the !!!
#439 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Yay for the positive dr reports for Lisa and Mandy. I was worried about you two. Callie, : I hope you can find some answers.

I'm nearly packed up for 3 weeks in CA. I went and bought DS his own suitcase. When we went up to check on him last night, we discovered he'd gone into my room where I'd packed DD's suitcase, brought it into his room, and fell asleep cuddling it. Since I had enough suitcase space to have him packed into a smaller bag, I went ahead and got him his very own cheepo rolling suitcase. My kids are beyond excited for the trip!

Today was DD's last day at her school, and she's pretty sad. We brought a gift for her classroom (a sign language book for kids), and the teachers had her sign her name in the cover so they could always remember where it came from. Those teachers really know how to make my DD feel special. : We're all going to miss them.

Last night DD went to the library to hand in her completed summer reading form. Good thing they had an "overflow" card! She got more cheap crap to take home. Thankfully, this toy broke before we left the library, so it didn't even have to come home. Anyone heard of a summer reading program that doesn't motivate with dumb, cheap toys?
#440 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Mandy and Lisa

Can we just hire taosmama and DrJen and mothercat to be the dingo commune doctors and midwife? and JenLove to be the energy healer?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#441 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM

Lisa I'm so glad to hear that And relieved. Sigh....big breath of relief. So now what? What are they looking at now?

Wendy I like what our library does, you earn a free book. The books were good ones to choose from too.
#442 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Wendy I like what our library does, you earn a free book. The books were good ones to choose from too.
See, that makes sense.

Shuttin' down the 'puter to head out to the airport.
#443 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 PM

geo - barnes and nobles has a program that for every eight (?) books you read, you get a free book from a preselected section (with good choices). you can do it twice over the summer.
#444 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM

I was recently looking for a weight loss/exercise board. I found 3 fat chicks a few days ago, and so far I like it. In cas anyone else was ISO

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#445 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Just wanted to report a 20 mile ride (17.0mph) and a 5K run brick. Felt great, especially the run which I did in a torrential downpour ! I love running in the rain. And I'm halfway through DH's trip ~ only 10 more days to go.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#446 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM

My evening went something like this:
smooth bath time, quick story time, dad's putting in bed tonight, zip down to my computer open my email. Read email that my coauthor on a paper doesn't agree with about 70% of my work. Hear dh scream "KRISTIN". (which I can barely hear over his bad music he has on in the living room).

Run upstairs, he's decided to extracate a splinter from dd2's foot about 25 seconds before saying goodnight. Hello? WTF are you doing? She'd just had a bath and it wasn't budging. (in fact we didn't even know about it until she put her foot up after Erik kissed her goodnight).

argh.
Go for a run with her in the jogger. Thank goodness she's a nice passenger. But I.am.out.of.shape except for sitting in front of a computer. Which it looks like I'll be doing a lot more of in the coming months than I had hoped. grrr.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#447 of 667 Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Kristin - ugh. that sucks.

reporting a nice mtn bike ride tonight. i feel great right now and i'm riding well except for the heart thing. the heart thing is totally wrecking my climbing ability. on thursday i'll do a Holter Monitor which i will wear for 24 hours and during some exercise so someone can see exactly what is happening. One of my friends thought proposed that maybe it's stress, and maybe it is. maybe i just need to take it easy a little bit.

cyril dessel - todays stage winner of the tour de france. what a cutie! is anyone watching the tour? did you see the guy go off the side today? WOW!
#448 of 667 Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Good news from most of you on the health front!

Mandy, I hope the Holter gives you some answers.

Kristin, Any chance your coauthor can be convinced? That's really not fun. Do you really need a coauthor?

We're leaving for a mini-road trip tomorrow to see family (have I already mentioned this a million times?).

Megs, Dh told me tonight that he wants to do the same tri you are doing. It's an Olympic, right? Duroga State Park? We're about the same distance from the park that Wenatchee is, give or take a mile or two. A young friend of mine has a showing of a one act musical that he wrote in Wenatchee that weekend that I was bummed to have to miss, so it turns out that canceling Vegas was a good thing for several reasons.
#449 of 667 Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 AM

: Hi Dingos!

I've been reading along to keep up, but busy and struggling some with running. Do any of our PT geniuses have iliopsoas advice? I am 100% certain most of the inflammation and trouble is the sartorius, by the path of the pain over the past two weeks. I have iced and have been doing ibuprofen, trying to stretch as much as I can, and have hugely reduced my mileage. My only real exercise options are running and walking for cardio. Now what? Everything I read says LOTS of time off. Thing is, I know I can get the pain to go away once I am into the activity, so it's tempting to fight through the first mile and just run anyway.

Advice? Remember, no health club membership, pool access, bicycling, or any equipment besides a TM...very limited time...and not enough self-control to control my weight without running. HELP!

On other fronts, my raise was really lame in spite of a really good review, but work has been OK and I was selected for jury duty this week. Nothing came to trial, so I'll probably be on again for next week, but won't find out until a letter confirms. Dh leaves for Africa in 2 weeks and we have not even started dealing with that shopping and logistical mess. I may have to cancel the vacation time I planned for while he's gone because a colleague has a family situation he needs to handle out of state. I want so badly to just be home working on stories these days.

Sorry to be a downer...on the bright side, the weather is gorgeous.
#450 of 667 Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM

jo~

Our internet service is finally back up! : I didn't realize how much I rely on it.

We're having major drama at my house and I'm trying to remain calm about it. DH still hasn't found a job--it's been 6 months--so now he's considering returning to law school and specializing. That means I would have to return to work full-time, which I don't think I mind but I'm not sure. Anyway, there are urgent meetings scheduled with deans next week, my resume has been dusted off and polished, and we'll see where this ride takes us.

rr~I almost pooped myself on my run this morning. : Sorry to be blunt but there's no way to sugar coat what happened out there. It was traumatic!! Details are on my blog for the iron stomachs out there.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page