July - it's a great month to be a Dingo! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if anyone is ever in VT in mid to late September - the best fair that i've ever been to is the Tunbridge World's Fair in Tunbridge, VT. It's not a huge thing, not a big state fair, but it's the real deal and held at a vintage fairgrounds in the middle of nowhere. Last time i was there I saw our newest senator, Bernie Sanders, having a corndog with his family.

rode my bike for almost an hour today for my monitor thing. i was by myself, and i could tell that i wasn't pushing myself as hard as i had been on Tuesday night when I went riding with a sales rep for one of the bike companies that we sell. However, the same things happened, just not quite as bad as when i'm pushing really hard. i think i might try to run a little tonight if it's not raining, just so they have a couple to look at tomorrow.

also, did 1:50 of plank today. trying to get back on the plankwagon. adding 10 seconds a day.
#482 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM

Have you seen this? It's a website the calculates the walkability of where you live. You plug in your address and it does the calculation. It breaks down the scores as follows:

90–100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
70–89 = Very Walkable: It's possible to get by without owning a car.
50–69 = Somewhat Walkable: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
25–49 = Car-Dependent: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
0–24 = Car-Dependent (Driving Only): Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!

My address scored 42. Sadly accurate. I wish there were more things in closer proximity.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#483 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM

Can you make pancakes with oat flour instead of wheat flour? How would they be different? I don't have any flour, but wanted to make pancakes tomorrow morning...what do y'all think?
#484 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM

towsonmama ~ my neighborhood is a 6 !!!!!! And I can vouch for the fact that you can't walk ANYWHERE from the side of town where we live. The rest of Bloomington is very walk-friendly, but the far east edge is just.... blech!

calico, glad you came to a decision and it sounds like a good one re: your job

As far as fairs go, I'm really not into them either, but my kids LOVE it! I get really easily overwhelmed in large crowds and noisy places. I do enjoy the animals though. Both my DDs were in horse-heaven last night .

Sitter is arriving in 45 minutes and I'm riding with the YMCA tri-club and then doing a short run afterwards. Hope it doesn't rain, although it's very overcast right now. And DH will be home one week from tomorrow!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#485 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Whoa..MDC totally freaked out on me and post got lost.

Good news! Not only did a renter come through for my house, another offer came in for a lease/purchase!!! Just holding my breath until I sign one contract on Monday!!!

I've been running along on the TM the last few weeks. Nothing new really, my endurance is getting a little better. I've been sticking with the triceps workouts as well and my arms don't look that much different, but they sure are feeling better.

All the tri ladies are really making me want to do one! I'll think about it in the new year. I'm having problems thinking about swimming in our dirty lake, but...maybe I can work it out!
#486 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Can you make pancakes with oat flour instead of wheat flour? How would they be different? I don't have any flour, but wanted to make pancakes tomorrow morning...what do y'all think?
I think so. There are recipes if you Google. I bet the flavor would be great.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#487 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM

wow my house scored an 80. I think that's pretty accurate. I've been playing a game to see how long a tank of gas will last me...I'm up to almost 2 weeks now and I've used a half a tank!
#488 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM

We got a 78. Probably pretty close! We've got shops, restaurants, library, parks, even starbucks within two blocks of us. Unfortunately, the grocery store that's walkable is very possibly the world's worst grocery store. If I really wanted to, I could bike to Whole Foods, I guess, but it would be sidewalks/busy roads and I'm too nervous pulling the Chariot to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
All the tri ladies are really making me want to do one! I'll think about it in the new year. I'm having problems thinking about swimming in our dirty lake, but...maybe I can work it out!
Come over to the dark side....bwahaha...

rr~Shortish bike ride this morning with DS in the chariot. I didn't worry too much about speed or distance, I think we went around 13 miles. I just wanted to get my legs moving a little since they're still sore and I think it helped!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#489 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post

Don't tell me what you know.... We boat on Lanier often, and we all ski/swim in teh lake. The water looks really pretty to me. :

I have been wanting to do a tri for many years. My bother is doing an iron man in teh Fall, adn 10 years ago when he was just getting into tris we talked abotu doing 1 together. then I got pg, yada yada yada.

There is one on Lanier 10/5 . I could do teh swim easily. The bike I'd have to do on my mtn bike, adn I'd need to train to be able to run a 5K after all of that swimming and biking. the one on 10/5 is a 400yd, 13m, 5K.... I could easily be talked into it with a frined

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#490 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM

We finally got the results of dh's scan and all is normal. He will have to schedule a follow-up to find out where we go from now.

Our house scored a 31. I walk a lot of places, but I certianly couldn't do many of my normal errands/daily activities w/o a car.

No time for personals, but I'm sending this guy to all of y'all---> :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#491 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Have you seen this? It's a website the calculates the walkability of where you live. You plug in your address and it does the calculation. It breaks down the scores as follows:

90–100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
50–69 = Somewhat Walkable: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
25–49 = Car-Dependent: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
0–24 = Car-Dependent (Driving Only): Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!

My address scored 42. Sadly accurate. I wish there were more things in closer proximity.
Mine scored an 11. It probably should be a 1, b/c even the places that they listed as within a mile, it woudl be too dangerous to walk to (no sidewalks on well traveled/busy roads, no foot paths over small bridges, etc)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#492 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM

HBM - Glad to hear everything came back normal. I hope you all find out some answers though.

My address scored a 38, and 4/13 businesses listed are either closed or don't offer the services the website thinks it does.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#493 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
Don't tell me what you know.... We boat on Lanier often, and we all ski/swim in teh lake. The water looks really pretty to me. :

I have been wanting to do a tri for many years. My bother is doing an iron man in teh Fall, adn 10 years ago when he was just getting into tris we talked abotu doing 1 together. then I got pg, yada yada yada.

There is one on Lanier 10/5 . I could do teh swim easily. The bike I'd have to do on my mtn bike, adn I'd need to train to be able to run a 5K after all of that swimming and biking. the one on 10/5 is a 400yd, 13m, 5K.... I could easily be talked into it with a frined
Gigi, you could TOTALLY do that! I trained for less time than that for my first tri last summer and wasn't running *at all* when I started training! I did both tris last summer on a mountain bike (although I did get slick tires) before I got my road bike in the fall. My training consisted of hiking 2-3 times a week (carrying DS), swimming and biking once each a week, and running a grand total of about 3 times. I walk/jogged the run. Go for it, you won't regret it! :

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#494 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 PM

That is a cool calculator. We scored a 65...about what I would expect, since way back in 2000 when we were looking for a house I absolutely insisted that I be able to walk to stuff (and run out my front door). But I'm surprised HBM's score isn't higher...we can practically walk there! Without kids I could do lots of errands on foot (and even with) but the score thing had it right...it said something like, "but you still need a bike, public transportation or a car to do some daily errands." true.

I am going to attempt a couple miles tomorrow and (speaking of!) run close to home so I can bail if I start coughing up a lung. I FEEL fine...I just have this weird chest congestion that's just sitting there. blech.

gigi, my sister in law is in love with the irongirl! if you like it in october, try next June too. she freaked out about how fun it was, the event was well organized, all women, etc. I think it sounds like a match made in heaven for you!
#495 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Our house scored a whopping 20 points on the walkability thing. No surprise. It should probably be lower because most of the places on the list to walk to are not places I would walk to with kids along - too dangerous in terms of traffic/no sidewalk/twisty road. Some of the places also would be tough just due to terrain - like the church that is 1/2 mile away but none of that distance is level - it is all up or down, not to mention the narrow road with no sidewalk. I so wish we lived somewhere that was more walkable, but we're where we are because of a drastic difference in school quality.

mamabeth, hope things are going better for you. How's the job thing coming along?

JayGee, I know what you mean about fairs. When we took DD I ended up feeling more overstimulated than I had in a long time. All the people, lights, and noise just kind of make me numb after a while.

Kerc, hope today's been a good working day.

Callie, glad the job thing is taken care of!

Plady, so sorry about the gosling and your dog. That must've been hard to watch.

Mommabelle, yay for good house news!

Pumpkinseed, if you are around, how are things? How is Baby G?

RR: Did the first workout of week 4 of c25k last night at the track. All of my random aches and pains seem to hae gone away and I feel nice and normal. Weak compared to how my brain remembers running, but normal.

DS has been a different baby the last few days. Really noticing the world, grabbing for things, and quite vocal. Tonight though, he's been arching his back some and seeming uncomfortable along w/ some spitting/belching etc. I may try going dairy free soon, we'll see how he is doing in the AM. Since DD did have reflux I just worry that he is going to as well (watch me manifest it, right? ).

Have a great night, Dingos everywhere!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#496 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Mommabelle.... CathToria.... a TRI is calling you both!!!!!! You know you want to ! Seriously, triathlon is one of my favorite things ever.

I'm back from a seriously difficult ride, 25 miles of hills, brutal, steep, nasty hills that had me standing out of the saddle and gearing way down. Still, all those uphills made for some fabulous downhills. On one, my Garmin clocked me goin 36 mph WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!! It was a great ride though, and I am proud to say that I led the women and hung pretty well with the lead guys, especially on the uphills. I sure do love me some cycling .

#497 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post

I did this a while ago. Our neighborhood is 67, which it would be if we had sidewalks. It's better than that if you have a bike. My parents is in the low 50s, which is largely because the program hasn't figured out there's a TJ's at the end of the street. They do a 2 mile no-car rule and generally fill up the gas tank a few times a year.
#498 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM

My neighborhood got a 15. What am I doing here?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#499 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM

If it makes you feel better, I put one of my friend's addresses in, and their house got a 0! Of course, she does live in the mountains, but still!

#500 of 667 Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
If it makes you feel better, I put one of my friend's addresses in, and their house got a 0! Of course, she does live in the mountains, but still!
Well, yes, I suppose that does make me feel a bit better! The apartment we used to live in before we bought our house got an 89 (which I could have guessed, because I used to walk everywhere--library, PO, grocery store, work, fave Indian restaurant)!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#501 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 AM

See what I love about my 80 though is that I don't have to live in a city to have this...I live in a very small town, with the woods right there. That was important to me. But our "market" really is an emergency type place, it's so much more expensive than Krogers that I couldn't afford to do all my shopping there. I do quite a bit, but not the bulk stuff.
#502 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM

HBM - glad the scan came back normal, but I'm sorry you guys have to keep looking for the problem.

walkability - our house is an 11. we live out in the country but everything we need is within 3-4 miles - so totally bikeable. though doing it with a kiddo is more challenging.
#503 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Our house is a 60. But really I looked at some of those liveability issues and frankly I don't put the movies and clothing right up there same as groceries, post office, etc. (You can guess which services I can walk to vs. which I drive to).

We're celebrating Christmas in July at our house today. We got out on strand of xmas lights, a little fake tree Erik's parents bought him in grad school, and we had 2 christmas mugs that never made it back into the big box in the attic. Erik's making cookies with the girls this afternoon (reindeer, santa, etc.). The girls think it's really fun and frankly I do to (especially since I'm at work today).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#504 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM

That sounds sweet Kristin...how are you coping now a few days after notice of 70% disagreement? You know that would really twerk me. I'm impressed by your equilibrium.

That sounds nice Mandy. I always wanted to live in the country, but didn't want to give up being able to walk to the library, po, woods, etc...

HBM - I'm glad things look good on the scan, I hope it's an easy fix

My running has been really off the last two weeks since coming home from dingo camping. First my running buddy has been on vaca (COME HOME JGMOMMO!! I miss you!), second my babysitters daughter has been otherwise occupied so I haven't been able to run long runs without kids. So I've been getting lots of 3 mile runs in, but not a lot more. I do have a 5 mile race tomorrow and 13 miles planned on sunday.
#505 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 AM

Hi Dingos!

I have not posted in ages. We were out of town for 2 weeks on a big family road trip to Maine. I did get one run in! My brother in law swears that the route I ran on has been used by none other that Joan Benoit Sammuelson!! She lives close. Hope that helps my running.

Walkability we scored an 80. We bought this house for exactly that reason. This was before the gas crisis, I just wanted to live in a place where we could walk to most things. The only thing we need closer is a grocery or produce store. I was wondering how expensive gas will have to get before people start making some major changes.

I really have to get back "on track" with running after our vacation. I have been joking that I ate so much lobster roll that I brough a lobster roll home with me!
#506 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM

Back from a 4 mile run with DS and dog. I actually felt pretty good for the first time in about a month pushing the stroller. I finally managed to break back under 10 mm pace with the stroller, woohoo!

DS is off to his father's in about an hour, and I get to go to work, yippee. I haven't done any work in several months, but we really could use the money, especially if I'm going to pay my friend for her old wetsuit, and I desperately need new skiboots this winter. It's high school physicals, which is pretty low-key. I have enough seniority that I can usually get one of the "easy" jobs...check-in/out, height/weight, blood pressure check.

#507 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 PM

Just popping in with the last family drama report. DH called BIL last night and told him that we didn't think there was anything wrong with MIL. Gave him a long explanation of conversations with my SILs who see her the most. In the end BIL said, "That's what I thought."

Thanked us for taking the time and end of story. Even my 25 y/o DD said, "Why didn't he just call Grandma and ask?" Silly DD, still hasn't learned how to live in a dysfunctional family.

rr: seriously needed the bike ride last night. Went out for a spin around the country block (4 miles) and ended up doing 11 and a bit. Wanted to do more but DH was making dinner and I promised to pick beans for him.

JayGee, I was thinking about the hill thing yesterday while I was riding. Took a path that had several nice sized hills. Hills are just speedwork in disguise right? I was thinking that they never seem as intimidating on the other side as when you first see them and the speed is kind of fun.
At one point, the calculator on my bike said my max speed was >27 mph. I love being on the downhill side, but that was scarey going that fast. Almost used my brakes because shifting gears didn't seem to be helping much. But couldn't remember the rule for using brakes to slow yourself down while going downhill, so just decided to hang on.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#508 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 02:59 PM

our house scored at 82, but the things it counts are so funny. For bookstores, we have several 'adult' and 'metaphysical' bookstores within walking range. For fitness, it has some of the medspa places and the places where they do the 'slim-n-tone' wraps. For clothes, it is the skateboard shop

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#509 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 03:07 PM

I am SO TIRED today. Still, I took the children out for breakfast at the Bagel Co. and then to the Y for 2.5 miles on the TM and 1800m in the pool. We've got half the neighborhood kids at our house and it's mayhem. At least I only need to maintain some semblance of order, rather than entertain the masses, thank goodness.

#510 of 667 Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Good luck to this weekend's racers ~ BBM and SugarAndSun!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page