Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And, of course, before I forget...

GO HBM!!!

GO MAMABETH!!!

GO HEATHERWEH!!!

Good luck tomorrow, racers! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#62 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
oh yeah drjen, sat would be better.
#63 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
I think 7 or 7:30 is fine. You mean Sat though, right? My older dd can be in charge until they all wake up and then eksmom has volunteered to keep them from killing each other!
I'm happy to help and I'm hoping Eksmom and I can run wherever she is on C25K together. I've been biking but not running at all lately.

I'm back from seeing my mom. Lots to process and my mom came back with me for the weekend since it seemed an opportune time: she could ride with me and my dad can come pick her up.

I have to write a 3-page paper by midnight. I'm ticked at myself for leaving it to the last minute and having a hard time restricting myself to a 3-page kinda project. I better turn off my airport and stop looking for things like MDC to catch up on rather than writing it. Missing you guys and can't wait for next week!

Love,

Balancin1
#64 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Ooh, almost forgot, I wanted to show off my lovely new ceiling fan!

Look what I did!

A little too wobbly on high speed, but low and medium work just fine. H said that he might be able to help me fix the wobble this weekend...although he's not any more handy than I am, so I'm not sure how helpful he'd be except as physical labor!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#65 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

A little too wobbly on high speed, but low and medium work just fine. H said that he might be able to help me fix the wobble this weekend...although he's not any more handy than I am, so I'm not sure how helpful he'd be except as physical labor!
Congrats on the fan! I couldn't help but notice you called him "H"--is "STBX" a thing of the past? :

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#66 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 PM

So, tomorrow will be the first test of my adherence to the new training program... I do well on a regular schedule, but holidays always seem to throw everything off. The goal is to get my run in early, before all the BBQ brouhaha starts in.

Plus, I'll feel better about the fact that I'm going to have a beer or two if I get my workout in! The question, of course, is whether the rest of the family is on board with my plans. LOL.

Do you guys have trouble with holidays/long weekends, or do you find it easier to run then?
#67 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 PM

I finally went to see DH play soccer tonight! Can you believe we've been married more than 9 years and have known each other for 12 and I've only ever seen him play his beloved "beautiful game" (as he fondly refers to it ) once. I took the kids out to the YMCA field and we had a great time watching Papa play (very well too, I might add), fooling around with the other kids there, and walking one of the other players dogs. DH took DS and DD1 swimming afterwards and I came home to put the littlest to bed.

chinaKat ~ I always have the best laid plans for holidays, but it rarely works out as planned. I'm hoping to get in a bike ride tomorrow morning, if it isn't raining. I'd like to actually do a 2 hour ride, but we'll see how DH feels about that...

Have a great holiday everyone!!!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#68 of 667 Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
bec

Ooops, I must have forgotten to tell you about this one. I am doing a 5k tomorrow! http://www.mundeleinparks.org/

I haven't been on for a couple of weeks. There has been a lot of traveling, family visits , and other hectic scheduling!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#69 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Congrats on the fan! I couldn't help but notice you called him "H"--is "STBX" a thing of the past? :
Well, he certainly hasn't earned a D back yet, but the STBX part is definitely on hold, at least for the time being. He's started back in counseling by himself, and I will probably be joining but not for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, he's been spending more time with us and being more involved, which is nice, especially for DS. Only time will tell...

GO BEC GO!!!!

#70 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 01:05 AM

HBM!!! MB!!!
Have fun in the morning!
#71 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 AM

Go HBM!
Go MB!
Go Bec!
:

I'll be doing the 5k here, but I'm walking it with the stroller and another mom so I won't be posting any PRs I don't think! But I'm looking forward to getting out there anyway (in my dingo shirt of course!). Dd1 came close to doing it too until we realized she could either do the race or be in the parade. No contest there!

JayGee - I can't believe you never go to your dh's games! Soccer players are hot!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#72 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

JayGee - I can't believe you never go to your dh's games! Soccer players are hot!
:

GO RACERS!!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#73 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Tell me about it !!!!! Let's just say that those soccer legs were one of the first things that attracted me to DH !

GO RACERS!!!!!!!
(Hope your 4th of July weather is better than ours here in Indiana...)

#74 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM

GO PLADY!!!

#75 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM

I forgot to tell you all that I was racing today. And then I tried to post really early this morning, but mdc was done Anyway, just back from my local 5K - ran 27:34, which was better than the 29:02 I did at Memorial Day at least! It's a smaller race, so that was good enough to win my age group! My friend, ds's former cross country coach won in 18:55! She'd looked great, and she came back and ran the last half mile with me and I was able to pick back up to some kind of decent pace after dropping way off in the middle there.

Those of you who've done longer races and their training - do you feel that it hurts your speed? I feel like I just can't turn my legs over for some reason.

I need to do 11 this weekend and have been scheming to try and find someone to do at least part of it with me, but no luck so far. Wish bbm and kate~mom were here for this week, too!
#76 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM

DrJen~way to go on your time!!! Since adding mileage, I do not like the 5k races. I can't seem to do those and like them. But give me a 10k or half marathon and I am in love!! :

RR: I started running yesterday and the burn on my back did not like the sports bra. I only made it a mile. Then came down with a nasty cold in the afternoon. I'm just getting out of bed now at 11:30am, I haven't done that in 10 years or so (when I was drinking and staying up all night-which soooo did NOT happen this time )

So no run for me until I get some energy, any energy.

Must look into half training plans and make a decision if I think I can do one of those races with fellow dingoes!!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!! GO WEEKEND RACERS!!!!!!
#77 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Those of you who've done longer races and their training - do you feel that it hurts your speed? I feel like I just can't turn my legs over for some reason.
you bet - ever since i started training for that marathon last summer, i've been a good minute and a half slower on the 5K than i was just running halves.
#78 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
bec

Dr. Jen - Yes, I got a bit slower while training for the half. It's the difference (I think) between running short and fast, or trying to hold out for longer distances. It's a different kind of strategy, I think.

Well, apparently, the almost month off that I have had from running, other than a few miles here, and a few miles there, has not hurt my time! I managed a PR today ladies at 29:33!!!!!! I found a 30 minute pace group, and ran with them. I can't believe the difference it made! I will say, that the run that I have been going on have been quality runs. I've been making them into speed work of some sort or another. That and the strength training I've been doing has really helped!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#79 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Nicely done DrJen and Bec!

Ali G and I came in at 36:46. We started out just walking with another guy who was pushing a double stroller but after maybe 10 minutes the enthusiasm of it being a race caught me and I just had to run (the mom I thought I was meeting to do the race with didn't show ). So once we actually started running I was pretty happy to see how many people I was passing, okay so some of them were kids and old men, but still! And it just felt so great to be out there. But then after we crossed the finish line it was kind of a bummer because dh wasn't there so I didn't really have anyone there to cheer for us and even though I saw and talked to a few people I've met recently they were all there with their own families and it just felt lonely. By the time I finally found him at the bookstore where we'd arranged to meet I was feeling kind of bitter about him never going to any of my events and I snapped at him about it before he had a chance to ask how it went so he took me out to breakfast which made everything better.

Then we watched the parade which dd1 was in and then to a picnic I think everyone on the island was at and now home, and I need a shower!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#80 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 PM

WTG drjen and bec! :

Can't wait to hear more race reports!

H and I went for a family bike ride this morning. We did almost 17 miles, me pulling DS in the trailer. I was hoping to get 20 in, but H hasn't been on a bike in at least 5 years, so 17 was pretty darn good! He actually more than kept up with me speed-wise on his mountain bike (although I was pulling the trailer, but still!).

Happy 4th, everyone!

#81 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Yay, plady! That's a great time for your first race in awhile, especially when you weren't even planning on running! I SO hear you on the lonely feeling. That's how I felt after my tri last weekend. It's so nice having people there for you. I'm really hoping that maybe H will volunteer to bring DS up for my oly in two weeks, but probably not. Oh well.

eta: exactly how many times can I post on one page?? Well, I guess I could have made this edit a separate post!

#82 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Hooray, racers! DrJen, that's a smokin' time!

RR: did about 4 miles today. Thank GOODNESS it has been a cooler day and that I went ahead and threw running gear in the car before we headed north for parade/lake/etc. The run was great -- nice, hilly, interesting, beautiful, lakeside route. Sigh.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#83 of 667 Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Happy 4th, y'all!

It was another VERY fun and wild Peachtree. I ended up starting just behind the first group (not in the 2nd group, which is technically not allowed, but the guy at the fence waved me through and I thought I was in the right place!). So I went through the start line only five minutes past the first people!

There were the usual fun things plus more this year...there were tons of bands and DJ's along the course, so many that they sort of blended into each other. There were three different t-shirts being given out from the restaurants along the way and I got a fun Moe's one (declining the other two bc I didn't want to carry them). There were people giving out smoothies, popsicles, and beer, but I don't stop for that stuff, although the smoothie sounded really good! I did feel great for the first four miles, even up the big hill, and then the heat and hills started to get to me. I stopped for water and felt better, and kept on, but as HBM said they changed the finish so instead of turning a corner, going up a small rise and then all downhill, it became two monster hills in a row to the finish : . Nasty. I saw some friends watching on the way up and waved and yelled and then was all mad bc I wasted energy but anyway I made it in JUST an hour, 1:00:08 on my watch, which is just fine for this crazy race.

We are off to the fireworks soon but just wanted to check in....great job Drjen and plady (and sorry if I forgot someone???)! take care mamas.
#84 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Good Morning, and a big to all the racers! Great job, everyone!

I am hung over. For the first time in about a million years. Yuck. But we had a great time at the neighborhood party last night . Twenty kids, their parents, WAY too much food, and WAY WAY too much drink. My kids were in seventh heaven with all their friends, and even Kirsten (my 2 yo) spent more time hanging out with the kids than with me or DH ! I think my run is going to take place once the headache wears off and I can rehydrate myself a little. I'm planning on 8 miles today .

#85 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Good Morning, and a big to all the racers! Great job, everyone!

I am hung over. For the first time in about a million years. Yuck. But we had a great time at the neighborhood party last night . Twenty kids, their parents, WAY too much food, and WAY WAY too much drink. My kids were in seventh heaven with all their friends, and even Kirsten (my 2 yo) spent more time hanging out with the kids than with me or DH ! I think my run is going to take place once the headache wears off and I can rehydrate myself a little. I'm planning on 8 miles today .
That's the exact reason my running partner and I changed our long run to Sunday this weekend. Those holiday parties are notorious for their stealth attack!

#86 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 AM

Getting ready to head out for a solo 11 miles. Don't really feel like it, to tell the truth. I keep telling myself how good it will feel to have it done. It's almost working. Then, carnvival and fireworks with the fam today.

I have a med student for the month, and he is orginally from Alaska. He's staying in town for the month and decided not to go anywhere this weekend since his friends all had plans and his family is far away. so last night we invited him over for supper so he wouldn't be alone. We did feed him well, but the price was having to put up with my kids all night long we absolutely adored the guy. He played lawnball, board games, looked at each of their rooms, listened to Justin play the trumpet, helped them make smores, and otherwise was kept hopping the whole night - it was pretty funny. Tonight, one of my nurses invited him to a barbecue and is taking him to the fireworks, and the night before one of my office staff took him to a big barbecue and bonfire. The guy is getting an idea of what family practice is like, but also a nice long look at small town living!
#87 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Go DrJen go! Just finished 12 with jgmommo. It was pretty slow, 2:11. Just under 11 min miles. But in our defense it was really (REALLY) hilly!
#88 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm posting from my post-long run cold bath - if I'm misspelling things it's because I'm shaking! 11 miles done in 1:56:11. I'm pretty pleased with the pace. I walked at 3, 6, and 9 miles to eat a couple Clif shot bloks and drink water and ran the rest, so it works out to 10:34 pace but really was a little faster than that with the 3 walk breaks. I was lonely, though, but at least the mp3 helped a bit and my friend who is training for Chicago also was working on labor and delivery today (she's a nurse) and I called her at the start and when I was walking my cool down and she gave me some IRL pep talk and then cheers! My route was pretty hilly, too, but it's still cool and lovely out, so overall it was a nice run. The first 2-ish miles of my route is out in the country where it's just me and the bugs and birds and that dang corn stealing my oxygen, and then the rest was residential with interesting folks all out doing their lawns and walking their dogs. I passed my house again at mile 8 and it was darn hard to make myself run past it! I specifically planned my walk breaks to not be by my house so I wouldn't be too tempted.
Next long run with the dingos!

My 2 senior partners invited me out to breakfast yesterday after the race and told me our 4th partner has resigned. He is not the strongest physician and always struggled to build his practice and never fit in as well as the other 3 of us, so in some ways it's a good thing and a chance to recruit a 4th person who might be a better fit. The sad part is, I will now be on call every 3rd weekend until we find someone, and we'll each have to assume more call for our nurse practioner and for the ER. This is not good timing for marathon training!

Okay, I'm ready to get out of the cold water and take a shower and get ready for a nice family day - hope you all get some good runs in! And way to go BBM and jgmommo on an early hilly run!
#89 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 01:23 PM

Great drjen! It does feel good to have it done!

I got in my 15 miler today! I actually felt pretty good, though my right leg feels quite stiff now. Tomorrow is just a bike though and maybe some yoga!

Happy weekend to everyone! :
#90 of 667 Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM

Well, darn I'm lonely too! Dh is gone to visit his family, but he'll be back on Wed! I really missed him last night, especially when I got home after firworks and there was an ugly email and no one to vent with. I could not sleep and was just laying there so mad! Finally got up and played some online games till I got sleepy.

Jaygee...hope you feel better! I only drank water yesterday and I still feel like I have a hangover. Maybe it was the peanut butter pie my mom made!

I'm going to do a strength video a little later once my lunch is settled.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page