July - it's a great month to be a Dingo! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 667 Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I think ultimately Jen you're going to have to figure out what's right for you. There is no right or wrong way to handle the sleeping arrangements. I will say research holds out at least for baby to be in the same room as mama. And breastfeeding, well that's a no-brainer. But otherwise, trust *your* instincts. Don't follow some book, or be a fanatic about what the ped says. Do you want your baby there with you? In your bed, beside your bed, in a crib in your room... Try to imagine what it will feel like, but then know that the night you go to bed the first time all your imaginings will be out the window because it is like nothing you can ever imagine. Enjoy mama. Enjoy.
Thanks for your kind words. It got me all teary.

How I imagine it... the baby is close to me. Either in bed with me or in a co-sleeper right next to the bed so I can touch or cuddle him/her if they are fussy or breastfeed without getting either of us up out of a comfortable warm bed. Can't wait til February to enjoy all of that.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#182 of 667 Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 PM

HBM...put some fingernail polish over the bites....clear if you have it. That stuff kills them!
#183 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 AM

eks~That's awesome! :

Popping in quickly to report my bike ride. A slow 9 miles (with 3 BIG hills) with my friend, followed by dinner at Panera. The bike ride was fun, but I am SO frustrated. My knee still freaking hurts. The cortisone shot was supposed to kick in within 4-5 days, and it's now been 8. The dr and I didn't even discuss what the next step was if it didn't work because we were so sure that this would help!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#184 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Dang! CherylAnn is right! I used to be able to multi-quote a whole bunch of posts and then get back to them much much later, but no more. Oh well.

JenLove - I've never used a crib but I wish I had a real changing table.

And on that note, I hear Ali G fussing.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#185 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

rode for about 1.5 hours last night. had some real trouble again on the big climb into the woods. but then opted to do some lower, mostly flat trails instead of continued climbing and this enabled me to keep-on. i started out with a friend, but then convinced him to go on without me and that i'd be fine and was going to just cruise around and then head back. he got worried when he made it back to the shop and my car was still there and no sign of me and went back to the woods tracing where i should have been. but i was out still riding (very slowly, but riding). anyway - i got a bit of a panic call from him. nice to know someone was looking out for me.

today will be a take it easy day, maybe try to do a little run this evening. i think i'm really out of shape and I think i need to get back to running to enjoy the level of fitness that i'm accustomed to in the summer.
#186 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM

nancy~ I'm so sorry for your family. It sounds like your doggy was ready for a better place.

mandy~Take care of yourself! I'm no medical expert but your recent posts are concerning.

Speaking of which, I'm having a really hard time recovering from today's run. I think I was way underfueled and underhydrated but I literally almost conked out. I've been home for almost 3 hours and still feel really light-headed and out of sorts.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#187 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
he got worried when he made it back to the shop and my car was still there and no sign of me and went back to the woods tracing where i should have been. but i was out still riding (very slowly, but riding). anyway - i got a bit of a panic call from him. nice to know someone was looking out for me.
He must have read this piece in the NY Times about the guy who has a heart attack while riding. I must say it gave me the chills a bit too.

My mom arrives today. It's been 9 months since her last visit and I can't decide if I should err on the side of being too optimistic or too negative about it. I don't want to manifest trouble but I also don't want to get my hopes up that she'll be an easy pleasant guest. I'm surrounding myself in a white light But we're out of and that I can't fix with a white light.

Gaye - It isn't something that would just benefit from rest is it? (I know that can sound like the worst! Rest? What? Me? )

Nancy - I'm sorry about your dog. That is so sad.

Eks - That is so cool! I keep hoping dd1 will want to run with me and then I keep not running

Towson - The snotty five thing is a phase. Just keep repeating that. I like the chart idea, have you started on it? We did one with dd1 to help get her up and out of bed in the morning and back in at night and she loved it. And the only reward was getting to move a lady bug from velcro spot to velcro spot when she finished each step of getting ready.

Okay, maybe tea will do.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#188 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Plady, I don't know...part of me says maybe, the other part says well you had plenty of time off last fall and it didn't get any better. I just need to get through the next couple of weeks and I might just have to call it a season. So much for my grand plans of a couple more tris, a 10 mile race over labor day, and a half in October (and that theoretical full I was thinking about in january). I think I'm going to look at getting my bike fit as well. I thought the guy did a great job when I bought it, but I have a couple of former colleagues who are PTs and are serious bikers who can probably just check over everything for me. Hopefully somewhat cheaply, since I found out yesterday that my MRI is going to end up costing me over $300 after the deductible and co-insurance. : Our insurance blows big time...

rr~Track practice done. I was nervous, it was the first time I've done the full workout in over a month, between vacation and getting the pre-race workout and my knee. Today's workout: 1600, 1200, 800, 400 with 400 recoveries. Each set was supposed to be a little faster than the previous one. I felt pretty good about it, I started out at an 8:33 pace for my mile and finished up with a 6:53 pace for my 400! My knee felt fine while we were running, and then we stopped and it went kablooey while we were doing our post-workout stretches. : And now I'm going to be kind of dumb and go for a bike ride with a friend. Disclaimer, I'm sitting here with ice on it and will do so all afternoon! And, we're not going to ride very hard, it's fairly flat and it's the hills that get me...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#189 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM

I need to be off to the farm but was thinking about BBM this morning and a few things occurred to me....are you watching your iron? Taking supplements in whatever form and vit. C too? Do you have AF? Those things can really affect my running, I have noticed, esp since like you I am prone to anemia. just a thought....

4.7 this morning, and it was the nastiest muggiest day yet. 72 degrees when I STARTED at 6:30 : but now it's done! 20 minutes of yoga today, and then tomorrow's workout will be walking through airports

nancy, I meant to say yesterday that I am sorry about your dog. :
#190 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 AM

trying to keep up with the thread - but not enough time for personals. thinking of you all.

crazy ten mile hill/speed workout tonight.
#191 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Good morning mamas!

I just have time for a quick post. Seriously.

I got a great 5 miles in this morning. It was terribly muggy out there. Then I came home to be welcomed by a dying refrigerator. : We have already had it fixed once a few years ago to the tune of $350. I refuse to put that much into it again. Thank goodness that Hom Depot happens to be having a sale that ends today! : I will soon be having a new frige on its way.
#192 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Towson - The snotty five thing is a phase. Just keep repeating that. I like the chart idea, have you started on it? <snip>
Thanks for the reassurance! We have started the chart and I have to say I feel like I have a brand new child. I don't know where this sweet, helpful creature has been hiding but she's welcome to stay as long as she'd like. Dd doesn't even want the "Caught Ya" stickers. She wants to earn them then she gives them to her little brother and sister.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#193 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM

JayGee, thanks for the link to the Speed Stacker. My family loves to watch these videos on youtube. They want to know if you have any video of your kids Speed Stacking and they want to wish your kiddos lots of luck in future competitions!

Pumpkinseed, I completely missed your birth story. I've looked all through the June thread, but apparently, not well enough. I don't know anything about G's birth. I want to wish you many congratulations. Naomi had reflux and it didn't go away until she was about 9 mo. I don't remember if I tried to alter my diet. It was so long ago. Good luck with getting that figured out!

Poppy, Wow! What news! I'm excited for you!

Nancy, I'm so sorry about your dog.

Jen, I'm so excited for you! Like BBM said, you'll find your way and it will be the right way. We never used a crib or a changing table. We used a changing pad on top of a dresser and that worked perfectly for all three kids. We still play musical beds in our house and that is just fine with me. On the extremely rare occasion that Naomi will climb into our bed I thank the universe and offer up a peaceful thought to the sleep deprived mama I was when she was a baby. For the most part now, dh and I have our bed to ourselves. I love books. If your MIL needs any book ideas you can recommend The Family Bed by Tine Thevinin, but even more than that I enjoyed, Three in a Bed. Can't remember the author, though. Of course, Dr. Sears has several good books that might appeal to a MIL more. I have his Nighttime Parenting which was great for understanding the sleeping/waking/breastfeeding pattern and how in tune a baby is with mom. Good luck with that MIL. Mine still gets bothered about how we do things, but it doesn't get to me the way it did when the kids were small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Y'all, I am in chigger hell.

That is all.
Oh dear! I have no idea what that kind of hell is, but it sounds awful!!

Plady, thinking of you as your mom comes into town. I hope it turns out okay. Keep your power. Try not to expect anything good or bad. Get some blasted coffee in the house! Give yourself what what you need to get through it. BTW, I'm trying to plan a road trip for the end of July. I don't know if it will happen or not. It depends on a lot of factors. We'd be traveling around the Western part of the state starting with south at Hood River, OR and heading north to visit dh's parents on the sound and then continuing north to Forks and Port Angeles. Naomi and I want to see the town the Twilight books are set in which is also the town dh's mom grew up in. Then we'll head to Seattle and then home. It'll be about a week. Long story short, we may be near your neck of the woods. If so, would you be interested in meeting up for bit?

tjsmama, I'm so sorry to hear the cortisone injection isn't working. Did you tell us the results of your MRI? I can't remember. It is so frustrating to have an injury that won't get better. I hope the cortisone eventually helps!

towsonmama, I hope you get all recovered soon!

Mandy, I hope you get it checked out!!

I get to have a swimming lesson today. I'm looking forward to it. We continue to ride our bikes all around town. Had a core class yesterday. My mom came, too. I hope she keeps coming. I've talked to 2 of my 3 siblings about last weekend's big event. They were the easy ones. I've got to talk to the third, but I just don't know how. They are all going to be here in a little over a week, so she needs to know. My mom, who at the time of the event, was completely resolved that this was my dad's issue and that he needs to get it solved, seems to have had a change of heart of sorts. She asked me yesterday if I would be willing to go with my dad for mediation so we can work out our problem. OUR problem. Not HIS problem, but OURS. This is not my problem. I told her that I would be willing to do that after he gets some serious help and not a moment sooner. Then she said she wanted us to go to mediation for the sake of the family. Forget it. Two of my three siblings (and maybe the third) are completely in agreement with me. If we do anything with a third party now, it best be an intervention. My mom is such a stereotypical abused wife. It all seems so convoluted and grey when I'm in the middle of it. But now that I've removed myself, it is crystal clear. He needs help and until he gets it, no one is safe around him and I will not continue to put my children into that situation. Nor will I put myself in it...having grown up in it, I don't always see how bad it is until it is too late. Then I give dh a hard time for wanting to remove himself. So, this time I'm not giving up my power...my self-respect and I will keep my family safe. My mom is a willing participant at this point. There is nothing more I can do for her.
#194 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM

I just got back from a 30 minute walk with my doggy. I didn't get in a walk last night. By the time it was cool enough, I was in bed snoring. The walk felt completely great today though. The sun was out, 70*, slight breeze, and in my new shoes.

Cheryl - Thank you for all of the book recommendations. I don't know how my MIL would respond to me suggesting she read a book, but at least I could read them and have some more facts and information to back up whatever decisions I do make along the way.

I just want to put this out there.. I really do like my MIL and we get along pretty well, but we definitely have different instincts when it comes to parenting. It's amazing how much input other people throw at you when you become pregnant. On a separate issue - who would've thought I'd get "picked on" for wanting to cloth diaper?! It boggles my mind... Someone should write a manual for being a crunchy mama - "How to Follow Your Heart and Tell Everyone Else to Take a Hike!"

#195 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Camping update on yahoo.
#196 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM

It's nice to have a good relationship with your MIL. I didn't mean to imply anything else, but by rereading my post I see that I did. I get along with my MIL very well, too. But, it's really hard on MIL's when DIL's do things differently. Or when their own sons want to do things differently. What I should have said and what I mean to say is many good wishes for you as you navigate through all of this with your MIL. Who knows...maybe she'll eat of the information and be a real support for you and dh.

ETA: Serial Off-topic posting...all this MIL talk is making me miss my MIL and FIL even more than I have been lately. I've got to make that road trip work!
#197 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
tjsmama, I'm so sorry to hear the cortisone injection isn't working. Did you tell us the results of your MRI? I can't remember. It is so frustrating to have an injury that won't get better. I hope the cortisone eventually helps!
It was pretty much negative...no meniscus tear, just showed some swelling/inflammation and some chondromalacia.

I actually did pretty well on the bike ride! I decided to try taping it again, and I don't know if that's what made the difference, or if it's just that we went so slow, but it was pretty pain free. I may try taping to run on Friday and see if that helps.

We did about 16 miles. Slowly, but that's ok. The friend that I was riding with is SO totally me last summer. She's on a hybrid (I was on a mountain bike with slick tires), training for her first triathlon, and struggling to keep up with friends on road bikes! She did really well, though. She hadn't done further than 10 miles yet, and she struggled a bit today, but I pushed her, and I *think* she's grateful for it. Who knows, I may get a pissed off phone call later... I reminded her that she just did the entire distance (plus a little) that she needs to for her tri, and she did it pulling a trailer! Her tri will be a breeze after that!

#198 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
I just want to put this out there.. I really do like my MIL and we get along pretty well, but we definitely have different instincts when it comes to parenting. It's amazing how much input other people throw at you when you become pregnant. On a separate issue - who would've thought I'd get "picked on" for wanting to cloth diaper?! It boggles my mind... Someone should write a manual for being a crunchy mama - "How to Follow Your Heart and Tell Everyone Else to Take a Hike!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAnn View Post
I get along with my MIL very well, too. But, it's really hard on MIL's when DIL's do things differently. Or when their own sons want to do things differently. What I should have said and what I mean to say is many good wishes for you as you navigate through all of this with your MIL. Who knows...maybe she'll eat of the information and be a real support for you and dh.
Pregnant and reading along here--I love my MIL too--she is lots of fun and easy to get along with. But it's so interesting how things come out of the woodwork when you're pregnant, especially with your first. My own family is not emotionally close and is physically 1000 miles away, but we have a lot of contact with DH's family. Sometimes I think they perceive me as leading him along the garden path with all my odd beliefs about prenatal care, cribs (we don't have one yet and likely won't get one before babe arrives), etc.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#199 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM

I really like my ILs too, most of the time

My MIL is really of another era on the parenting stuff - DH and his twin brother were born in one of those twilight births, after having been x-rayed 5 times in utero because twins were interesting to study, and the doctor gave her a shot to dry up her milk before she was even awake So, our birth and parenting choices are very foreign to her, but she is extremely supportive and always wanting to learn more... FIL sometimes seems to think we are spoiling DD by babywearing, GD, etc... but she's their only grand, so it almost doesn't matter

I almost feel more pressure of high expectiations from my mom, because she was very earth mothery and natural everything when I was born :

DH just called after his interview- he really loved it and thought it would be a good fit... now just the waiting game :

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#200 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Did my run for the day. Got off the treadmill and the electricity went off and a bad storm blew through. Need the rain though.

Balancin...saw you sig and remembered about you border collies. What color are yours? Mine is mostly white with a black face and two black circles on her back. I need to get mine use to running with me again. She loves it. I know she'd be so happy on a farm.

IL's are hilarious! My husband just went home and they told him he was fat and had a bad haircut! He still had a good time!
#201 of 667 Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 PM

iron...hmmm you know that's a thought. I would say I'm eating enough but I was fantasizing today about ribs. I have never eaten ribs. I don't like ribs. And yet, they just sounded good. Or a really sloppy hamburger. Hmmm I need to think about this and maybe add even more iron.

I've felt like this long enough I don't think I'm coming down with anything. Thanks for the thoughts all...if you have more please let me know!
#202 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM

: Hi Dingos! It looks like it has been crazy all around the world these days. Me included. Dh is gone this week (back tomorrow though). It's been one of those extended moments, though. Argued as he left for this trip , then discovered two days late that I missed a dental appt (he got the reminder message and never mentioned it , and yesterday got home to find myself locked out (he took the key off my keychain and gave it to a friend who has been helping with the remodel...but never mentioned it so I had to break in) to 6 VMs from the co-op saying our next run of Cornish cross chicks are waiting (he said he ordered them for next week . Made it to the co-op by the skin of our teeth to pick up the birds. Got home to discover that we missed a fatal car crash on our way by literally--literally--seconds. The highway was closed for hours for the reconstruction and my heart is heavy and I have the "There, but for the grace of God" thing going on in my head. Then I spent an hour setting up the coop for them before getting to the normal chores...didn't even start making dinner until 7:30 last night. I don't have any idea where dh is even staying, couldn't get in touch with him if I really had to. He leaves in less than a month to see his family, and I know this is where his head goes before major trips, but GOOD LORD.

RR? Sure. I ran 15 this past weekend, and then remembered how I used to FUEL on LRs, and thought, hmm. Maybe that is why I am so beat after my LRs. So I am considering switching to a sports drink. I have lost about 10 pounds since spring came, and it has been hellishly hard, but I am doing it. Another 15 to go. Also have run with more coworkers lately, which is kind of cool. My shoes were shot and I should not have kept running LRs in them. Now I have a pain (hip flexor?) that is slowly resolving, but I got new shoes yesterday, and a strap-on water bottle because I can't deal with belts but my hands get pins and needles from carrying a bottle on LRs.

Work continues to be melodrama, but I have divested and that makes it much easier.

Mandy, could you have an allergy to something blooming this week? My breathing gets weird sometimes suddenly for 2-3 days and then gets better, and I think it may be allergies.

JenLove, we must get together this summer. We must. I was in Oneida this past weekend for the pow wow, and I can't go to GB without thinking how close we are.

Best news of all? Guess who's coming for my LR this weekend? Here's a hint! She's going to be shocked at my fatness, but whatever, right?

OK Dingos, time to scoot. Laundry needs hanging and chicks need to be checked and fed before work. :

to all you mamas.
#203 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Jo ~ gosh you're busy! I fuel every run over an hour, otherwise, the end is just slow, plodding torture! Have a good run with CReb this weekend .

I didn't bike last night, but did some speedwork at the Y instead. This morning I've got 4 miles planned, and then 1.5 hours on the bike tonight. I just hope the weather cooperates.

I hope the nap-fairies visit our house this afternoon. DD2 has been fighting sleep like crazy, even when clearly exhausted. Yesterday she was shrieking, "No sleep! Not tired! No bed! No Nappy!" at the top of her lungs as I attempted to get her to nap. All while rubbing her eyes and acting VERY tired. I gave up after about 20 minutes of that silliness and she was a bear the rest of the day. Grrr.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#204 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I hope the nap-fairies visit our house this afternoon. DD2 has been fighting sleep like crazy, even when clearly exhausted. Yesterday she was shrieking, "No sleep! Not tired! No bed! No Nappy!" at the top of her lungs as I attempted to get her to nap. All while rubbing her eyes and acting VERY tired. I gave up after about 20 minutes of that silliness and she was a bear the rest of the day. Grrr.....
If you have the time-try a book and a ceiling fan. Tell DC -no nap, we're just going to read a book. The rhythm of the ceiling fan may just lull her to sleep w/o much trying.

Accidentally did this to my youngest DS. We finished our loft and had installed a ceiling fan when he was a year old. With 3 older siblings, a nap was the last thing on his mind, but he and I would go lay on the bed for a bit of quiet time and read a book.
At 19 y/o watching a ceiling fan will still put him to sleep.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#205 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Balancin...saw you sig and remembered about you border collies. What color are yours? Mine is mostly white with a black face and two black circles on her back. I need to get mine use to running with me again. She loves it. I know she'd be so happy on a farm.
Mine are black & white too. Classically marked though they both have asymmetrical faces, asymmetrical in the same direction even. They are both rescues, we got them 2 years apart. Morgan is going to be 11 this November and Marley will be 8. They are both out of shape. Marley used to run long with me, but Morgan really can't do more than 2 anymore. They do love to go.

DD was a wreck this morning. Kicked me awake all night too. I think she's still upset about me being gone last week.
#206 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Jo - Yes, we really must. I don't know how far in advance you can plan something, but we should get something on the calendar before this midwest summer escapes us. I wanted to go to the pow wow, but DH was bored at the last one and wouldn't go again. Have a good run with Reb!!

I'm going to the park and lunch with a friend, then back home to clean, and hoping to get in some forward motion this evening.

ETA - B1.. I had a Border Collie growing up but she was mostly black with some white on her chest, feet, and face. She would've fit in with your "M" names as I had named her Mandy. She was a smart dog!

#207 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM

i brought my running stuff to work today. i need to get out there and pound the trails - all this stress of this stupid mountain bike festival. 2-3 EST - make sure i get out there!
#208 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Jooj Have a great time with cReb! Tell her to check in here sometime and let us know how she's doing.

I had a great swimming lesson yesterday. Turns out I'm an okay swimmer once I get acclimated to the water. This woman was so awesome with the five of us ladies who showed up. She totally got my unreasonable fear of the lake and didn't try to make me do anything until I got acclimated. Then, she gave input on kick and armstrokes and breathing. Then another of the ladies taught me to do a proper breast stroke (which I am still working on...I couldn't get my arms and legs coordinated but I know what they are supposed to be doing) with my head to the side which she said is great for when the waves are crashing over your head. Then when we finished up, the lady who was teaching pulled me aside and said that I should get in the water 20 minutes before the race begins to acclimate and catch my breath. She said that if the race coordinators have trouble with that, she'll advocate for me. Wow. I feel validated, supported and empowered. Which is just the opposite of how I've felt when I've tried swimming with a couple of my my triathlete friends. Great friends when we are not swimming, biking (oh sorry...have to call it cycling or they have a cow), or running. Oh, I can feel a rant coming on. Better catch it before it flies out of me!

No workout today. I am representing our theatre group at a planning meeting for the city. I'm nervous and will be so out of my element. It'll be character building. I found out by reading the local news that I'm performing this Saturday night at a winery. Last I'd heard about it, it was a barely a glint in the owner's eye. Now it's a full-fledged dance, complete with an hour long ballroom dance lesson and I get to sing a couple of sets. So, after the planning meeting I go to a rehearsal. It's probably a good thing I didn't really know it was happening because I don't have time to get freaked out now. What a week! Of good and exciting things that will help pull me out of this depressed slump I've fallen into. Another fun thing...I'm hosting a party for our theatre board on Friday night so we can brainstorm and dream about a future facility of our own (which is actually why I was asked to attend the planning meeting...it's like it's all falling into place for this theatre group). My house is a wreck right now. I hate it when it gets like this, but I feel too icky to do anything about it. So, having folks over tomorrow night is great motivation to get me off my duff.

Tomorrow morning dh and I are going to swim the course for the tri. He's doing the olympic distance, so I'll just splash around and practice while he finishes his mile. Then I have to get out for a run!
#209 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Hi all, thanks for the hugs and good thoughts. The house seems very quiet without the dog (we do have a cat, but mostly all he does is sleep).

Just got back from 3.1 slow-ish miles. I'm halfheartedly following a RW 10-week plan for a half, since I'm signed up for Leaf Peepers Oct 5. Can't say I'm very motivated though. But I get out there and run anyway because it makes me feel better during all of the hours I'm NOT running.

Belated input on cribs...we bought one for DD1 and it was mostly used to store diapers, blankets and clothing. The kids did nap in it (fell asleep in the sling, transferred to the crib) once they were old enough to roll around and possibly fall off our bed. Otherwise they slept with us...well, DD2 still does. She has NO interest in her own bed ("mine own bed," as she calls it) because she wants to sleep with Mama. Since she stopped nursing at night I've made my peace with the fact that she may sleep with us for some time to come. OTOH, I kind of want my bed back some nights.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#210 of 667 Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM

The ladies on this thread have had more than their fair share of bad luck with animals. It was my turn this morning. I realized last night that my kitty of 12 years had not been seen since monday night. He had been an indoor cat for 99% of his life. A few months ago he dveloped some behavioral issues with urinating everywhere BUT his litter box (due to a new kitty in the house). I couldn't handle it so they both went outside. (I should have known better)

Anyway, he had been missing since Monday. This morning as I ran I called for him and he finally staggered out from under the house looking very lethargic and sickly. We scooped him up and we went to the vet to find out that he has feline lukemia.

He is still lucid, but very lethargic. He is in liver failure. I couldn't bare to have him put down. He isn't in any pain ....just very very sick. We will see how he gets as this progresses.

I feel so bad he hadn't had any shots in years since he was at such low risk being inside all the time. Even as an outdoor cat all he did was lay in the chairs on the porch. It never crossed my mind that he was at risk.

We have an appointment for the kitty to get checked out too and have him vaxed.

It is so sad....too many hard lessons for my kids this year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page