July - it's a great month to be a Dingo! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dingos, talk me into doing a 10K at the end of September?

In my favor:
I've done 3 5K's and enjoyed them all.
I can comfortably run 10 minute miles, or 9.5 minutes racing; my PR is 29:18, so not superfast, but decent.
I get a free gym membership with my new job, so I can probably shoehorn some training in during my regular work week.
There are running trails near my new house.

Not in my favor:
I have asthma.
I've never run further than 3 miles.
I'm moving in a week to a new city, starting a new job mid-August, and have kids, so it's not like I'll have tons of time to train.
I don't have anyone to run with.
I'm anxious that I won't be able to run a full 10K.

Pursuade me? Or show me the error of my ways in considering?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#242 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 02:23 PM

I went for a walk this morning and it was blazing hot. Now it started softly raining and it's beautiful, but at least I got the walk in!

Penelope: Do you want to run this 10K? I believe you can do it!
I've not run more than 5 miles before, but I'm signed up to run a half with MB and HBM. They are great motivators!

Plady..there are a ton of geese at my house. They drive me nuts sometimes. All the babies lived this year too, and if they all have babies next spring..how many will there be??? YIKES! Thankfully we have all trees in our backyard, but the neighbors have a lawn and they are always over there.
My friend that I was worried about is going to see a coucelor!
#243 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 05:46 PM

PO7 - I am so happy to hear about your kitty. :

I was busy this weekend getting certified for Reiki Level I. What an amazing experience!!!

My forward motion this afternoon is probably going to amount to walking to my bed for a nap. Although I must admit the fatigue isn't as bad as previously.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#244 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM

PO7 ~ so glad kitty is doing so much better! What wonderful news. I'm eager to hear what the vet has to say .

Plady ~ my cats killed 2 baby bunnies, and brought home 2 more to "play" with a few weeks ago. We brought the living ones to the WildCare shelter. Hope they saved them.... Sorry the geese aren't faring well at your place.

Penelope ~ I think you should go for it! Just add the mileage slowly and you'll do well. 10K is a really nice distance, IMO.

Well, DH left this morning for three weeks in Arkansas. My 2yo isn't handling it so well. She keeps asking when Papa is coming home . The other two cried a bit at first, but are okay now. I'm just so thankful that he only has to do these trips once or twice a year. Nothing like his travel schedule when we were stationed in California or even Illinois, where he was gone every month for at least a week, plus 3-4 month-long deployments every year. I sure am glad those days are over! No forward motion today, but I am planning a swim tomorrow at the Y. It's going to take some serious logisitics to keep my training volume up while DH is away ! Oh, and I decided to register for another Sprint Triathlon on August 3 afterall.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#245 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Back from my big ride...I survived! I now officially know that I can do the bike portion for my oly tri. It kicked my butt majorly, but I did it. The big hill is HUGE. 600' of elevation gain in 2/3 mile. There's a false summit, which sucks, but at least lets you get your breath back a little before the climb to the real summit. Then there's a LONG downhill, over 5 miles! I did really well on the first half of the course, which is really the hard part, but by the time I got to the second half, which is mostly rollers, my knee was starting to bother me. We did a short run (2 miles) after, and it actually didn't feel too bad. I'm SO glad I pushed my long run till tomorrow so I could do this. I feel MUCH better mentally about the race next weekend now. I know I'm going to be slow, but I'm much more confident that I can do it.

And then we went to a WONDERFUL Nepalese buffet for lunch. Somehow, I managed to *gain* weight after biking 26 hard miles and running 2! :

I hope the camping dingoes had a great time! Can't wait to hear some stories from the weekend!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#246 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Still holding out hope that I feel like going out and running at least 4, maybe 5 tonight. I guess I have a bad cold, but the only part of me that feels bad is my throat and I've lost my voice again. Blork! I lose it so often lately. Maybe I need my tonsils out?? Huh. One of these days I should actually go SEE a doctor about all my varied & sundry general health issues.

And I kind of NEED my voice, dude!

Anyway -- we had an AWESOME family nap after church today. Almost 3 hours! ALL of us! In one bed. Le sigh. I do treasure those moments.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#247 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Hola DINGOS! Just posting to let everyone know we made it home since tomorrow is going to be crazy. So nice to see everyone that was there and we missed the rest of you.

DD slept for two hours on the way home, and the construction treated us well. DrJen was almost home too, last I heard, but may have gone straight to deliver a baby. Missing all of you already.
#248 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 PM

We're back! We had a blast, with the usual wildlife encounters, mega hills, and ill-timed thunderstorms. Elliot is already showing signs of attention withdrawl. Both my kids were out like a light before we got to the main road, and hopefully everyone experienced equally peaceful rides home.

More later with pictures. Karen's still talking about rubbing nuts.

Karyn, happy birthday. Is it the same day as Chelsea's?

po7, yay for the kitty recovery.

SugarAndSun :

tjsmom on the friend issues. These are hard to navigate. Ice bath post ride?

Jen, What does getting certified for Reiki Level I mean?

Penelope, find a beginner's training program! You have plenty of time to work up to it. Add the distance slowly. You've got what, 9 weeks? That's adding less than 1/3 mile a week.

DrJen, 2T borax gets blood stains out of clothes three days later -- soaked in minimal cold water for an hour.

Time to drain the gray water from the tub and add clean water. And we went to the pool right before leaving!
#249 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 PM

We got home earlier this afternoon too... Both kids are already out and I am close behind.

It was great getting to see everyone. I am so shy meeting new people, but quickly felt pretty relaxed. Then again running twelve miles where you are either going up or down (and nothing in between) has a way of stripping the social niceties. I did find it hard being separate from the group to just jump in, but had a blast saturday night watching the kids collect lightening bugs, make ice cream, munch down smores and just run run run! And the caves were STUPENDOUS! I got to go hiking with DrJen for Ash Cave and Cedar falls, both were just so beautiful. Jgmommo and I (with dh and kids) went to Old man's cave this morning. I loved the tunnels!

I have tons of pictures to upload, but that likely won't happen until tuesday.

Until then, great running with you Kate~mom, DrJen, and PattiAnn (I am still so impressed by each of us). And I loved chatting with Wendy, Katherine, Lisa, and Chelsea. I wish I could've talked more though. It's hard to cram it all in in such a short time.

Oh and to sum up our run? I think the phrase, "but wait...there's more!" fits it quite well. Turn a corner, more hill, another corner, more hill..."but wait! There's more!"

I'm off to bed.
#250 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM

we're crashed in columbus - at a friend's house for the evening, leaving after breakfast - yum yum!

we had a blast this weekend - i don't think i saw older dd for more than ten minutes at a time - she just loved runningmommy's boys and patti's girls. she is in major withdrawal also. ds, on the other hand, needs to sleep for about ten days straight. he is such a creature of habit, and not being in his routine messed with him big time this weekend. looking forward to next year though!

and no joke, that run was ROUGH!
#251 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 PM

Geo - Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It’s administered by laying on hands and the use of positive, healing energy. There are 3 levels to reiki... after the first level you can use it on oneself and others. The 2nd level you just gain more skills for practicing, and the 3rd level gives you mastery in which you can teach it. I guess technically, I'm not certified until I get my clinicals done, but I am still able to practice. Anyone want a free reiki treatment (I get to give 6 before I get my cert.)?

#252 of 667 Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 PM

JenLove, I totally want a reiki treatment! I doubt you make housecalls this far away, though.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#253 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

We just got home. Not a bad trip overall. We only managed to cover 30-40 miles in the first 3 hours after leaving the park (Wendy, this included a total outfit change for Emma Kate - imagine that!), but Griffin slept through most of West Virginia and there was a lot less hysterical screaming than on the way up. I've got to get to bed... more later... but we all had a great time and loved seeing everyone. EK is definitely missing her fellow entymologists.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#254 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
we're crashed in columbus - at a friend's house for the evening, leaving after breakfast - yum yum!

we had a blast this weekend - i don't think i saw older dd for more than ten minutes at a time - she just loved runningmommy's boys and patti's girls. she is in major withdrawal also. ds, on the other hand, needs to sleep for about ten days straight. he is such a creature of habit, and not being in his routine messed with him big time this weekend. looking forward to next year though!

and no joke, that run was ROUGH!
Ha! Says the butterfly who flitted over the hills! You amaze me kate~mom.

Eks why the need for the full change? And why does drjen need blood stain remedies...What ALL did I miss being just a few campsites away?!

ds went to sleep at 7:30 last night and slept all the way until 5am. This is an unheard of feat! I think the dingo kidlets wore him out.
#255 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM

P.S. Thanks to whomever found my garmin heart monitor and put it on jgmommo's car! I would've been so upset when I realized I'd lost it.

dd is *still* asleep. I've never had to wake her like this before. I wish I didn't have to work today.
#256 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM

I don't have many pictures, and none of Elliot with his best bud. The ones I have start here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862297@N00/2667729500/

Kathleen, Elliot demonstrated his spontaneous nose bleeds on Friday. I had some on my shorts and it was all over E's shirt. Hence the "how to get blood out of clothes" discussion. There's a picture in my flickr on the Emma Kate + mud phenomenon.

And no matter what Kate~mom says, she barely looked like she'd gone for a run after that 12! Me? I whined all weekend from the 3.3 torture run Jen took me on.
#257 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
P.S. Thanks to whomever found my garmin heart monitor and put it on jgmommo's car! I would've been so upset when I realized I'd lost it.

dd is *still* asleep. I've never had to wake her like this before. I wish I didn't have to work today.
And when you wonder why it smells so nice, that's the scented bubbles that were spilled on it. I hope it's not worse for the experience. Katherine's either.

I think Catherine left behind a pencil sharpener. I don't think anything major got left behind except Jen's diamond
#258 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I don't have many pictures, and none of Elliot with his best bud. The ones I have start here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47862297@N00/2667729500/
I am simply green with envy! The camping trip looks like so much fun and I'm really looking forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more stories. Next year, we are SO there!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#259 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

BBM, I'm glad you got a good night's sleep out of DS's worn out state!

We stopped for lunch in Logan at BK; Emma Kate spilled a nearly full bottle of chocolate milk down her dress and onto her bike shorts. We had one clean (long-sleeve) shirt left for her, and I had to rummage through the stuffed trunk to find a pair of shorts that was only partially filthy. Of the four of us, she is the only one who wore every piece of clothing that was brought for her, and actually would've run out sooner had I put her in clean clothes every time she needed a new outfit. Note for next year: bring more clothes for she who channels Pigpen on camping trips.

My Garmin seems to be doing fine - thank you for rescuing it.

Must go get breakfast and maybe download pics. We took a bunch.

#260 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Here's my Flickr set of Dingo Camping 2008. No captions yet (except for a couple) - I'll add those soon.

#261 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 AM

Oh y'all, those pictures make me SO sad that we missed it this year! I'm glad you guys had a great time though as usual. LOVE seeing the carrier in use, too.

I am back from my trip after making it in at 3 a.m. this morning. : thunderstorms in atl made everything complicated, but I was glad to get home and not be sleeping in the airport like a lot of people I saw. The trip was GREAT... here is a picture of me doing my thing.

must go hang with kids, missed y'all!
#262 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Wow! That dingo camping looks great! I'm in the Northeast though... maybe we can do one around here!

rr: I got my 17 in Sat. and a light bike on the trainer yesterday. I'll do 7 tonight when DH gets home. I am pretty psyched about the NYC half coming up. I am really doubting that I can meet my 7:25s goal though.
#263 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Oh y'all, those pictures make me SO sad that we missed it this year! I'm glad you guys had a great time though as usual. LOVE seeing the carrier in use, too.

I am back from my trip after making it in at 3 a.m. this morning. : thunderstorms in atl made everything complicated, but I was glad to get home and not be sleeping in the airport like a lot of people I saw. The trip was GREAT... here is a picture of me doing my thing.

must go hang with kids, missed y'all!
Beth, you're holding out on us!

More pictures of Beth on photos 38 and 39 "The leaders pull away from the group..." and photo 80: "The winner." Plus cute pictures on page 8
#264 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Camping looks like it was a blast. Maybe next year we can make it...

Great pics, Beth!

rr~I got my 8 in this morning! Woohoo! It was a long, slow, HOT 8 pushing the jogger, but we did it. DS was VERY well-behaved, so we made a short detour to the playground on the way home. The poor dog had some heat issues...he won't drink out of a water bottle, so I poured a little water in my hand several times just to make sure he was getting SOMETHING. He's been crashed out on the couch for most of the day since we got back.

I guess the good part of running in the heat like this is that it's going to help me prepare for next weekend's race which is apparently going to be quite the hot one! I found out today that my wave start time will be 7:25, so it's going to be at least 9:30 or 10 before I hit the run course, which has NO shade on it. At least I can always go and jump back in the reservoir after I finish!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#265 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
JenLove, I totally want a reiki treatment! I doubt you make housecalls this far away, though.
I will have to do Reiki II so I can learn distance reiki.

#266 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Beth, you're holding out on us!

More pictures of Beth on photos 38 and 39 "The leaders pull away from the group..." and photo 80: "The winner." Plus cute pictures on page 8
BETH! congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
#267 of 667 Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Here's my pics: http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ing/?start=all

Geo - thanks for the numbers! Beth - you look amazing!!! What an awesome opportunity :
#268 of 667 Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 AM

For those of you who didn't get the chance to come camping, I hope y'all (that's y'all for eksmom!) get the chance some time. I can't quite put into words what it means to me to get to know some of you in person. It's hard to describe how much these trips have meant to my family. From the lovely adult attention you all give my older dd, and how much she thrives on it, to the 4-5 yr old girl group of entymologists who didn't have a minute to be bored alone the whole time, and the chance for my Justin to work more on his nuturing skills with his buddy Elliot and all the little girls.

And that doesn't even begin to touch how wonderful it is to run with dingo sisters! You guys, I wish you all could have this mental image of kate~mom floating over killer hills! I ran 4 easy today, with some very gentle rolling hills, and I just formed a mental image of her and rolled right up them! (believe me, though, they were nothing to the hills we ran on Saturday!) And bbm also is an amazingly strong runner. And Patti Ann is my candidate for America's Next Top Model - she is the most beautiful mother of 5 I've ever seen - willowy and gorgeous and such good company for the last 6 miles of ridiculous 12 miler we did! We got to chatting and venting on OBs and the miles flew by.

Our long run on Sat featured the biggest hills I've ever tried to run - hill after hill after hill, the whole run was up or down. We turned off the main road quickly as it had more traffic and very little shoulder and Ohio drivers apparently have never seen runners before. Just after the turn, somebody says "Did anybody notice we just ran past the sign for the 'Top of Hills Campground' this way?" That should probably have been a clue! I managed to keep kate~mom and bbm in sight for the first 6 miles, but Patti and I had to slow down coming back. I'm so proud of us all for doing it though! I said I was going to whine about this run for the rest of the year, and I may still, but I'm so glad we did it. I'm disappointed that I didn't think to take a picture of the first hill of that run, though, when we drove up it later that day to go hiking - I really wish we'd thought to capture that one for memory!

The day before Geo and I did 3.35, starting with the 0.6 mile long steep hill down to the campground entrance and then back up the same hill, which featured several long curves around each of which you were sure the hill was ending. After that I dragged her another 2 miles, which she also promised to whine about, but really that just flew by as well. My kids and I also got to see where she squishes stuff between diamonds! My older dd was way impressed with Geo's lab, and especially OSU in general.

Eksmom and I were sitting up the last night chatting when a deer walked out of the woods and right up to the picnic table 10 feet or so from us and started looking for food. I snapped my fingers trying to startle her away and she just looked at me with interest for a second and then went back to what she was doing. Eksmom said it was like she looked at us to see if we were anything interesting and then was like "Oh, it's just 2 of y'all" and went back to what she was doing. Somehow, she and I always manage to have an animal incident! At least this year it was a just a deer and not a mama skunk and her babies like last year!

The drive home was long and tedious, but the kids were great and I did fine. I was still in Columbus when labor and delivery called to tell me one of my favorite clients had arrived in early labor. I said I'd try to make it. As it turned out, she sort of putzed about in early labor until right after I drove into town, then her water broke and active labor kicked in. I pulled into my driveway, unloaded the food from camping, showered and headed straight to the hospital. My client had her baby finally at 2:49 am by vacuum assist, and after staying to help her nurse and all, I was not in bed until 5 ish this am. I only slept until 8, and then had to get my youngest boy to summer band, go see my hospitalized patients, and then spent the day trying to put camping gear to rights and do laundry. I ran tonight while Justin did summer running kids' group with the local running club, and now have fed everyone, showered, and have just a bit of work paperwork to catch up on then finally bed. Back to work for real tomorrow, blech.
#269 of 667 Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 AM

OK, DrJen, if previous posts didn't make me twinge not to have been there... yours sure did, darnit! Sigh. Arrrrrgh, me longs for some o' that action. CherylAnn & Plady -- meetup in Aug??

I ran a very slow 3.4(ish) tonight. It felt super good though, suprisingly -- I have this nasty cold and I'd just eaten my dinner and was bloated pretty bad. [side note: do I have IBS? Seriously -- every time I eat lately, I bloat up to looking 6 months preggo and I haven't had normal poos in... I don't even remember. It's not good]. Anywhooo, I took poor, neglected dog with me. He's the WORST running buddy for the first mile or so, but then when he started to tire and there was more traffic, he mellowed out and stayed close.

So that's all for now. I should get my buns in bed now, just wanted to check in.

JenLove, how are you feeling these days, mama?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#270 of 667 Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 AM

Oh my dingos, I can't even form the words to express the longing with which I looked at every picture y'all posted. Seriously. It looked too awesome.
Megs, CherylAnn - I swear I will actually get on to some figuring out how to get to Wenatchee for the weekend. Would you guys be up for some camping?
Okay, time for bed.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page