Help with low carb diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been on a low-carb diet for 2 weeks now. I expected to feel tired for a week or so but I'm just exhausted, and its getting worse. Today I am so tired that I can't talk while standing because I'm so out of breath, and I constantly feel like I'm going to pass out.

Its not that low of a low-carb diet. I eat 1.5 pieces of fruit a day, and I'm getting plenty of fats and protein, that's for sure. I might be a little low on calories, though.

I gained 30 lbs since DD was born (she's now 3.5) and I'm trying to lose it. I'm not that out of shape - I had been walking 3 miles a day - but now I'm way too tired to even walk a block.

I'm taking iron supplements and prenatal vitamins (I'm still breastfeeding).

Is it the diet? Is this normal? What should I do?

On top of that, I haven't really lost any weight, maybe a pound in two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Is it the diet? Is this normal? What should I do?

On top of that, I haven't really lost any weight, maybe a pound in two weeks.
I did South Beach and was losing a pound a day for the first two weeks. I was experiencing the fatigue BIG TIME. But it just seems like you should atleast be losing a few pounds a week. You might get some tests run to see if you have a hormonal imbalance (like Thyroid) that's making it harder.

Good luck!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 PM

What plan are you following or are you just trying to do it on your own? What is your total calorie intake? What percentage of fats/carbs/proteins are you eating? Can you post a daily menu?

I'd highly suggest following a specific plan - atkins, south beach, eat fat loose fat are all good ones.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just doing it on my own.

I'm eating about 2-3 cups of poultry or beef, 1 cup kale, 3-4 carrots, 4-5 celery sticks, 1/4 cup milk (in my coffee), 1.5 pieces of fruit, and 1-2 slices of cheese each day.

I was going to do south beach or atkins but all the products I saw in the store used artificial sweeteners. I really don't want to use artificial sweeteners. Do you know a good low-carb diet that doesn't use any artificial sweeteners?

I do have mildly low thyroid and adrenal fatique, so I was a bit more tired than the average person before the diet, but this level of fatigue seems very extreme. Could the diet be making those things worse? I was actually hoping that staying off grains altogether and eating more fruits and veggies than I usually do might help heal those conditions.

Thanks for your responses
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Low carb might yeild results (allbeit temporary ones) but you need to listen to your body IMO.

Add some complex carbs in. (Even if its just one serving a day.)

There is a very real difference between fruit and complex carbs. YOur brain NEEDS complex carbs.

Low carb diets arent all that biologically correct.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebot View Post
Low carb might yeild results (allbeit temporary ones) but you need to listen to your body IMO.

Add some complex carbs in. (Even if its just one serving a day.)

There is a very real difference between fruit and complex carbs. YOur brain NEEDS complex carbs.

Low carb diets arent all that biologically correct.
\

I absolutely 100% disagree with this. Low carb diets have been proven time and time again to be very effective for weight loss, disease treatment and prevention as well as overall health. Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes is a wonderful, research based book about carbs and their effect and our body. I highly recommend it.

For the OP, there's no reason you have to use artificial sweeteners. Those diets are just saying that if you're planning on having sweetener in your coffee or other sweet treats, they want you to use an artificial sweetener. But, you're free to not use sweetener at all.

Two diets that are lower in carbs but incorporate more complex grains and allow minimal sugar are You: On a Diet and The Periccone Prescription also, the ABS diet for women is another option.

Ultimately, I think it's important for you to find a plan and follow it. At least initially. I know for me, when I wing it and try to do it on my own, I am not nearly as successful.

And, just based on your foods you listed, it seems like it's not nearly high enough in protein and fat.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I'm just doing it on my own.

I'm eating about 2-3 cups of poultry or beef, 1 cup kale, 3-4 carrots, 4-5 celery sticks, 1/4 cup milk (in my coffee), 1.5 pieces of fruit, and 1-2 slices of cheese each day.
Looks like you are low on fat. When your carbs are low your body burns fat as fuel. Low carb diets are typically high in fat.

Make sure your cheese is full fat, switch you milk in your coffee to heavy cream and use some kind of oil (olive and avocado are my favorite) on your veggies.

Carrots are not an ideal veggie for low carb, although I do eat them on occasion. It is best to stick with veggies that grow above ground, as a general rule.

I would also cut out the fruit at least until your body switches to using fat as fuel instead of carbs. Then you can add it back in slowly.

Your calories seem a little low as well. How many are you getting?

There is a low carber thread running around here some where!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebot View Post
YOur brain NEEDS complex carbs.
Actually your brain needs glycogen which is typically derived from dietary carbs. However in the absence of carbs the liver can produce glycogen from dietary protein through glucogenesis (I think I mis spelled that). The rest of the body can use ketones produced from dietary and body fat as fuel. Carbs are completely unnecessary.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 AM

And the fatigued-feeling goes away after a couple of weeks anyways. Think of it as a "Detox" period. After that, you don't crave sweets very much (PMS always got me though) and you feel FANTASTIC.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 AM

It doesn't sound like nearly enough calories to me however you are getting them. Try to add it all up and see what you are actually getting.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

After I wrote out what I had been eating, I thought that maybe it was a little skimpy on calories. I allow myself more to eat (the diet I planned called for 4 cups meat and 8 cups veggies which I am not eating that much).

I forgot to mention that there is olive oil in the chicken - about 1T per serving, so 3T a day of olive oil.

I don't feel hungry. I feel vaguely nauseous all the time. My stomach grumbles and I feel lightheaded so I know I have to eat, so I do. But I don't finish my plate, the thought of eating the foods I have made makes my stomach turn, and I'm not craving carbs at all. I'm not craving anything. I wish I didn't have to eat at all; I feel not so well.

I'm a big believer in low carb diets and I see carbs as responsible so much of our health issues in America today.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 AM

Dont expect to lose any weight while nursing. Its great to eat healthy & exercise.But for some of use mommas the bf causes us to hold onto fat.Good news is you probably wont gain weight just stay the same.Enjoy yourself & the Lo.I read on the board that if you up your calories while bf you might lose weight
Old 07-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I don't feel hungry. I feel vaguely nauseous all the time. My stomach grumbles and I feel lightheaded so I know I have to eat, so I do. But I don't finish my plate, the thought of eating the foods I have made makes my stomach turn, and I'm not craving carbs at all. I'm not craving anything. I wish I didn't have to eat at all; I feel not so well.
Try including more calorie dense foods such as nuts and cream. That way you get your fat and calories and you don't have to eat as much. Also make sure you water intake is good. It will help!!

The adjustment period is different for everyone. Hopefully you will adjust quickly. That first week or two can be bad!!

Maybe you can post your meals for a couple of days and we can help you out. I know when I started I had the hardest time wrapping my head around what to eat everyday!!

Someone here recommended Daily Plate and it is really good at showing you how all of your macros break down and where your calories are coming from. I can never use it for more than a few days but it is very educational when I do!!

User Tag List