Help This Lazy Momma Lose Weight! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what to do. My twins are 15 months old now and I look like I am about 4 months pregnant. I need to lose about 15 lbs (it seems to be all in my stomach and breasts). I need to find a good eating plan and exercise plan. I really lack discipline and time (I'm a SAHM with no family in the area). I am considering Nutrisystem/Jenny Craig for eating because I tend to eat a lot when I cook. Are there any diet plans you had success with? What about exercise? I bought some Turbo Jam DVDs, but I have hard time sticking with them (trying to exercise with two toddlers in the room is a nightmare). I was thinking about the wii system (I tried it out at a family members' house), especially their fit programs. I need something I can kind of get addicted to. Did anyone find it helped with weightloss?

Please tell what did or did not work for you.

Thanks.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 AM

When my kids were that little I had to get out to excercise. Is there a Curves around? Do you have anyone to watch your babies? Getting out and away is what helped me the most, because it was me time!

For eating I like South Beach and Body for Life. More so SB. I don't feel as hungry and like I am fixated on combining.

Good luck! You can always find a solution if you look hard enough!
I have Turbo Jams and I LOVE it. BUT my baby is 4 and either does it with me or leaves me to it.
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 AM

I have lost 10lbs in 2.5 months from just making healthier choices and still having treats once and awhile, and doing exercise daily. I really think the exercise is a HUGE part of my losing the weight that I have as I am not a dieter.

I do the following:

Walk 30 mins 4 days a week
Weight Lifting 3 days a week

I have to do it daily or I will not stick to it. Weight lifting is more of a "addictive" work out for me. You could just pick up some bar and weights off Craigslist.
Can you workout after your SO comes home or before SO goes to work?
You should make it your "me" time if you feel that will help or you can do the walking with a double jogger and do it as a family thing after dinner nightly.

Sounds like you are ready, so come on and join in and we all know YOU CAN DO IT! Come join 5lbs in August!:
#4 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM

I have tried doing different kinds of exercises (videos, walking/running at teh park), and the only think that I have really loved is belonging to a full service gym. I love going, and there is so much for me to do that I never get bored. My kids like teh child care there, so that makes it easier.

When my baby was very little, I did stroller strides 3 times a week. It was a great workout, and was perfect for me when I had one who IMO was too small for any kind of child care.

I personally woudl not do a processed/prepackaged diet system. They are expensive, and FWIU teh nutrition is not good (espec if you are used to a non SAD diet). You could try to eat whole foods like lean protein, fruits and veggies and beneficial fats. I've found that tracking my food intake helps me to see where I am "wasting" calories through out the day. I've tracked food at www.sparkpeople.com which is noce, but my fave food tracking site now is www.thedailyplate.com

HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#5 of 9 Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 PM

I have lost ten pounds in the past 5 weeks. I never thought I would get on the fitness and healthy eating bandwagon!
I joined sparkpeople.com and have been using their fitness and nutrition trackers. I was probably eating at least 3000 calories a day, and tons of sodium. As soon as I started tracking, I didn't want to embarrass myself with those kind of figures, so my food went down to about 1700 calories a day and I have been pretty good about keeping my sodium levels down (except the last couple of days).
For exercise, I got a bike that I love and I started riding around my neighborhood. At first I would do a little riding. Then I made my goal 4 miles a day everyday. I upped it to 10 miles a day pretty quickly. Now I am riding 10 miles a day, everyday, and many days more. I also try to get a hike in at least once a week. I find biking and hiking easier to do, because they are right outside the door. No advanced planning necessary. The videos aren't great for me because the dogs get underfoot, and I get bored with them. My kids are old enough that I can go on a bike and they can stay home by themselves for an hour, but if you have a bike trailer, you could throw the twins in the back and off you go. Same with walking.
#6 of 9 Old 08-03-2008, 01:08 PM

Do you have a YMCA with childcare near you?
Could you afford a double jogging stroller or double bike trailer?

I just got a Bob stroller for jogging and weigh is melting off now that I can consistently get out of the house to jog (not having to rely on DH to watch babe has made all the difference!)

And even if you don't like to jog you could walk or try couch to 5k

ETA: I totally understand what you mean by needing something you can get "addicted" to. Running is that way for me. After a couple weeks running I feel panicky if I think I am going to miss a day!
#7 of 9 Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM

Another running addict here (see my siggie)--but I would suggest getting out for walks with your kiddoes to start. Do you have a double jog stroller? That was probably the best money I spent after having kids. It used to be my goal to be out of the house for a 2-mile walk by 9:30 every day. Eventually the walks became longer and a couple years later I started running.

I've also heard great things about sparkpeople.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#8 of 9 Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 AM

I lost about 20 pounds over 6months on mostly-vegan diet and good portion of exercise (from 130 to 110).
I eat a lot of carbs with vegan diet and I eat as much as I want to (I eat more than my husband). I try to stick to whole foods. We only use olive oil and coconut oil for cooking, but we are not shy about eating fat. Coconut oil actually boosts your metabolism, we fry and bake with coconut oil often.

And I do "cardio exercise" almost everyday because of the kids. I walk/bike to park at least 4 days a week or more, which takes about an hour back and fourth if you walk.
And I try to squeeze in some pilates here and there, like when watching DVD after the kids are sleep.

good luck.
#9 of 9 Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
bec

You've gotten some great advice from others on the nutrition side of things. I am a runner, although with three little ones home all summer long, it is hard to get outside to run. So, I've been at the gym on the treadmill. Not a lot of fun, and my running has suffered for it. It's hard to go tot he gym in good weather, when I want to be running on a path in a forest preserve somewhere.

Anyway, we got the Wii Fit a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! It is very addicting, definitely a workout, and the kids are enthralled by it. Unlike the treadmill I have at home, I don't have to worry that they are going to stick their little hands into it, and get seriously injured. And the video game aspect makes me want to go for a new "high score" every time!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page