Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
An update on DS' rash and a question... the prescription antifungal cream did the trick to start. Then, after 3 days it started looking redder again. The bumps are gone which I think must mean the yeast is pretty much gone (?), but the redness won't go away. Anyway, I called the ped and he said to use 1/2% hydrocortisone cream 1x per day. We tried it for the first time this afternoon and DS was significantly less red at the next diaper change. He is now back to about the same amount of redness. My question is, what does this mean? What kind of rash responds to hydrocortisone?
It is skin irritation? Erin was our rash girl. Seriously rashy. It drove me bananas. Now, at age almost 6, I have her take fish oil to help her get enough omega 3s to avoid stuff like cradle cap and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
School is only part of my kids' education. Like others, our house purchase was dictated by distance to work and quality of the public schools.
My MIL told me this summer, "Sometimes I thought public schools got in the way of Erik's (dh) learning, but he needed to be there for the socialization." That's exactly how I feel about Erin -- who starts kindy after Labor Day. She needs some structure to her life, and I'm not the person to provide that. Reading, math, science...we can do (and do do).

Jo: You are a total ROCKSTAR for submitting that proposal.

Everyone else: wave.
I'm tired this morning. It could have something to do with having multiple cups of last night at a stitch and b*tch.

This mama is getting seriously stressed out about work and phd work and making all the childcare arrangements, etc. Anyone want to send a good housekeeper my way?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#362 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM

RR: quick fly by post to say I ran 4 miles. covered in sweat, so must have gone well. off to shower and make lunch so we can hit our playdate.
#363 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM

nLove I am totally going! I'mdressed, I've had b'fast andI'mjustpopping in,I swear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
Plady, how old is your dd?
As far as the 2 HS babysitters... I would chalk that up to 2 different personalities, probably not relevant to the type of schooling, KWIM???
Dd is 6 and 3/4 (as I was reminded first thing this morning as I opened my eyes.
I'm not saying that it's the HSing that is making these girls but it just seems clear that one of them is totally suited for it (and would actually make a great poster child for it) and one was clearly in need of something more structured and I don't think she was getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
We are both going to exercise our way to Florida (about 1400 miles). Once we reach our destination, we're going to actually fly there, and take a girls' weekend alone, without children as our reward! We're starting in September, so, I'll have to get motivated!
That is the best idea I've ever heard. I need that so badly. Sooooooo badly. Seriously, the last time I was away from family all by myself was three nights I spent with Loftmama in Austin in June 2005. I'm sure it has to do with O'ing or something but suddenly I'm obsessing on the injustice of that. Now I just need to find a willing partner in distance. Anyone?
Okay, time to pack the burley.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#364 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 01:09 PM

Hi mamas!

I'm back on MDC. : I've also been running really well all summer, with the exception of two bouts of a nasty stomach virus. Still recovering from the second one so haven't been out since last week.

We're going on vacation to Martha's Vineyard next week. Any good running spots there, for those in the know? We're staying near Menemsha (Sp?).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#365 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Plady, I am SERIOUSLY in favor of time away, after debating it forever and then doing it last year. I'm coming to Wash. state in 2011 but I guess that's not soon enough, eh?

I'm having a bad week kid-wise...glad I'm not the only one, but I'm sorry there are several of us. I just said to dh that I hope they don't remember this week as representative of their mama : and are scarred for life. I'm trying to do my best and marshall all my resources (including chocolate, for me) and it is just still not that fun. dd and I are going to a baseball game tonight and I just hope it's not a whinefest.

I need a nap, too, bc I stayed up WAY too late watching gymnastics! it was worth it though. and I still got up to run. I'm thinking an iced coffee is the only way I'm going to make it through the game tonight. :
#366 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 PM

back from Maine today. it was a nice bit of time away although the weather wasn't that great. got a 32 mile, beautiful bike ride amongst the islands on Sunday and lots of walks and ab work. Have to admit to getting pretty short with ds a few times - it's hard to basically be a single parent on vacation and 'on' the whole time. but we had loads of good times too.

I'm only two hours away from five days of kid-free, dh-free time in my own house. i'm sure i'll miss ds, but not so much dh. i asked him to accomplish one thing while i was gone - removing the rubbish and old dishwasher from the garage - and all the crap is still there, as it has been for well over a month. i'll make a phone call later and i expect that I'll be able to remove the stuff with the help of a friend tomorrow or the next day - i'm just disappointed that he couldn't manage the one thing he said he would. sigh.

i can't believe that school has started for so many of you. we have our open house for preschool on the 29th of August and I think it starts the following week. our elementary and middle schools are supposed to be very good, even though the 'test' scores don't necessarily reflect that - they reflect the fact that we have a lot of children of immigrants that don't speak a lot of English. Our High School falls a bit behind, sort of the nature of a small area with limited resources for schools.
#367 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Mandy ~ I have a bike question for ya! What could possibly be causing my tubes to blow randomly? I've had to change my rear tire tube 4x in the last month, and only one of the flats occurred while actually riding. Twice in my garage, while hanging on the rack, and once while the bike was in my van on the way to a group ride. Yesterday, I was out in the garage just playing with the kids when I heard a "pop..... hisssssss" and sure enough, my rear tire had gone flat just hanging on the wall. I had changed it just the day before when the same thing happened. So, what could be causing this????

I made it to the YMCA this morning and swam 1900m, slowly. My girls are not being very much fun to hang out with right now. I think we need to get back to afternoon naps again. Wish me luck.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#368 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I actually do have a call into my doctor based on your post, but it will likely take me quite a while to get in to see a PT - this time of year here it's pretty much a nightmare getting an appointment anywhere. So in the meantime, I don't like sitting around waiting - decided to explore other solutions as well.
I don't blame you! that is such a frustrating part of the whole referral process... it just takes people so long to be seen. And in the meantime, they're just getting worse. Blork. Kudos for you for taking control as much as you can.

Re: schooling... there's no doubt that Geneva will attend school outside the home. She's already the Queen Bee of her Montessori school. And besides... if I had to spend all day with her trying to be her teacher AND her mom... well, that just wouldn't be pretty. She does stuff for her teachers she would never dream of doing for me. Like... napping. I, too, am not a fan of the typical PS schedule. My cousin just spent a semester in China where they split the day. There's a three hour gap for lunch and naps, then back to school 'til late. I think he really liked the schedule. I know I do better with a nap!

And besides, if I homeschool, my entire PS teaching/administrating extended family (seriously: parents, sister, BIL, MIL, aunts...) would disown me. I'm not kidding. And Washington is great for public schools, so we are blessed.

Oh, and the other little thing is that I'm not going back for a Doctorate right now to then not actually do that job!

Plady, I think your story really illustrates how -- regardless of schooling -- it is the individual kid within their family construct/behavioral expectations that matters. We had an AMAZING babysitter when I was little. She was an angel of patience, love, & creativity. And public schooled ;-)

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#369 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Mandy ~ I have a bike question for ya! What could possibly be causing my tubes to blow randomly? I've had to change my rear tire tube 4x in the last month, and only one of the flats occurred while actually riding. Twice in my garage, while hanging on the rack, and once while the bike was in my van on the way to a group ride. Yesterday, I was out in the garage just playing with the kids when I heard a "pop..... hisssssss" and sure enough, my rear tire had gone flat just hanging on the wall. I had changed it just the day before when the same thing happened. So, what could be causing this????
can you check your tire and rim very carefully for a hidden speck of glass or something? sometimes they hide out and continue to cause problems. also, check your rim strip and make sure it's providing adequate protection from the spokes on the inside of your wheel.
#370 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM

oh man...it's time for some wine!
#371 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi mamas. My friend whose husband left her just left here after being here for 6 days. We had great talks and she is much better than I would have expected her to be, but I think that I need to decompress a little. Tonight I have to get packed b/c the girls and I are joining my parents at the beach. Looking forward to the beach, not so sure about all the parent involvement, but I am going to try and be like a duck -- water off my back.
#372 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
oh man...it's time for some wine!
In my house, I try to reserve this for special occasions. Like days that end in "Y".

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#373 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM

jo~Happy (late) birthday! And good luck with your proposal! :

jaygee~ Awww...that's so sweet!

I am feeling SO productive today. This morning I: Went to track. Took the dog to daycare. Went to the regular grocery store. Went to Whole Foods. Picked up the conversion kit for DS's crib. Went to the Y to swim. All before noon! Crazy what you can get done when you're up at 5!

rr~Easy pre-race track workout this morning. 2x200 w/ 200 recovery, 2x400 w/ 400 recovery, 2x 200 w/ 200 recovery. Most of the rest did 2x200, 2x400, 2x600, 2x400, 2x200. A few "lucky" ones got to add 2x800 at the top of the ladder. Days like today are the ones that I'm kinda glad that I'm not *that* good a runner, kwim? Then it was off to the Y to swim. The plan was to swim my 1500m distance that I'll be racing on Saturday, but with about 3 laps to go, I coughed in the middle of a stroke (just couldn't hold it off), and swallowed half the pool in the proces, so I decided enough was enough and quit.

Still no word from biker or nephew...I have a feeling the next thing we'll hear will be from their lawyer, but I'm actually ok with that, we'll just call the insurance company and let them worry about it!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#374 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM

I had to share this, because it totally cracked me up:

http://marathonmoms.runnersworld.com...d-you-run.html

Dh did this kind of snide thing at dinner last night, asking me what I could possibly enjoy about running, since you don't actually *get* anywhere, unlike hiking... it baffled me. I couldn't articulate why even if you end up coming back home when you're done, it's still relaxing and feels to me like a legitimate accomplishment. Maybe he's just jealous.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#375 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Aaaack you women talk to much! I need to spend the next 1/2 hour catching up on posts since the last time I was here.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#376 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Who us? Never! :

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#377 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
can you check your tire and rim very carefully for a hidden speck of glass or something? sometimes they hide out and continue to cause problems. also, check your rim strip and make sure it's providing adequate protection from the spokes on the inside of your wheel.
Also, run your fingers along the inside of the rims and on the wheel surface. Look for any spurts, dents, or puncture-inducing flaws might find the problem.

Biked to work today. Ahhhhhhh
#378 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM

I forgot to post my RR earlier. I biked ~18.5 then wogged ~3.4. Ohmygawd, I am toast. I had to do a jog/walk just to manage to get forward motion at all after the bike (there's no way to avoid some really nasty hills when I bike straight from my house).

I just pray that the Oly course is FLAT. Auuuuugh. I heard the run has some nasty hills (well, one, but you run the loop twice), but I can just walk that. I have no shame right now.

#379 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
bec

Does it count that I jogged to the Wii Fit? Well, I did! It was only for about 20 minutes, but I did an hour of Wii Fit Aerobics, total, so am feeling accomplished.

This has been a tough week. I spent Monday in the ER with my neighbor. She was having (what turned out to be) a gall bladder attack so bad, that they operated on her yesterday and took it out. She is supposed to come home tomorrow. But, I've been watching her 6 year old this week. She spent the night on Monday. We went to the zoo yesterday, and her father insisted on taking her last night. They are separated and on their way to divorce. He's an SOB, but is this child's father, so no choice. Anyway, he had her use mouthwash (for some reason that is beyond me), and it gave the poor kid a HUGE sore on her tongue. She has barely been able to eat anything all day. I just feel so bad for her that she has such an incompetent father.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#380 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM

fly-by
on my way to the Y to swim. Have had 2 births in 2 days and a lot of broken up sleep. Need. to. swim. Drills 2 and 3 from Total Immersion.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#381 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM

So what else do you all think I might be qualified to do? How hard is it to become a hairdresser?
Sigh. Really, I'm just tired. After being up all night Mon night, I had to admit one of my favorite first time mom clients yesterday with severe pre-eclampsia. We started an induction that was extremely slow to get going (especially since the medicine we give to prevent seizures in pre-eclampsia also is used to stop labor.) I did go home to sleep last night, but couldn't really for fretting about her. She's also severely anemic, and we were really worried about the possibility of postpartum hemorrhage because of multiple risk factors, and of course her blood type turned out to have some antibodies that made it very difficult to find units of blood to match for her. Early this am, after 16 hours of pitocin, her water finally broke on it's own and she was 3 cms dilated. At 8am, she was 4 cms and just starting to really feel contractions and baby was still really high. I thought I'd be settled in for a long day, but at 9:45 she suddenly wanted to push - and to everybody's surprise, her baby girl was born at 10:11! Unfortunately, as we'd worried about she bled and bled, probably losing 1 liter of blood before we could finally get her stopped, and then became hypotensive, and needed a blood transfusion (thankfully, the lab had matched some units for her by that time.) The baby didn't breathe right away and had to be bagged - most likely again due to the medicine mom was getting to prevent seizures. The adrenaline rush from trying to get her to stop bleeding and the baby breathing will probably carry into the weekend though - or I'll crash and feel shaky and nauseated. Anyway, the baby is beautiful, the family is so happy and grateful, and she seems to out of the woods bleeding wise.

Meanwhile, I let my arm be twisted into a social induction for an 18 yr old who has to start school full time in a week. She has to remain a full time student so she can get full health benefits and child support because her dad is a disabled veteran. The family went on and on about how otherwise the girl and the dad would get married, but then they'd have to support themselves. And one of them might have to work - oh, the horror! Anyway, she's actually progressing well and now has her much wanted epidural and is resting. There has a been a steady stream of I swear every teenager in town in to gawk at her like she's exhibit A and my labor nurse (my runner friend) has finally laid down the law that all the giggling, goofing, gawking teen friends need to stay out of the room and aren't going to be allowed to pass the baby around when she's ten minutes old either. I don't mind a support crowd in any way, but this has been ridiculous and none of them are of any help, they all just came to see the show. I went into the waiting room to buy some mints out of the vending machine and there was a teen couple making out in the corner and about 10 others laughing and throwing things at each other - magazines, the kleenex box, who knows what else - and then had the nerve to loudly make fun of me after I left the waiting room because the door stuck and I had to pull on it twice to get out. And the phone has not stopped ringing in this girl's room - and she even stopped mid yell in the middle of a contraction to order her mom to answer it. Usually I love caring for teenagers but this girl and her crowd are on my last nerve.

And RR? None. Nothing since the great 11 miles on Sat. Please tell me I can still run a marathon if I keep missing runs!
#382 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 PM

doctorjen ~ What a trying couple of deliveries you have had. I hope everything goes well and these teenagers don't drive you insane.

mothercat ~ Have fun at the Y!

bec ~ I am glad that little girl can be in your care most of this week.

Random ~ Did I mention the fact that I am in love with Michael Phelps?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#383 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM

reporting a 1 hour mountain bike ride. heart continues to improve, feeling a lot better.

drjen - you'll be able to run a marathon even with missed runs. no problem. you might not feel as good as if you had done every run as planned, but you probably won't feel that good anyway cause you're running 26.2 miles -so don't sweat it.
#384 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 PM

No exercise today...I should be out doing chores...anyway. *sigh*

I leaned heavily on my supervisor today about my proposal. She totally gets it, totally agrees...trouble is the rest of our sr. mgmt., none of whom have been in the same position. I'm putting all my faith in our new HR guy, who may see this option as a way of retaining talent. Depending on dh's raise next month, it may come down to that. Thing is, my supervisor wants to do the exact same thing as me. She has tried this before and faced serious obstacles, so I suggested selling it as a pilot, one-year trial , and go from there. From what I understand, there's eye-rolling among sr. execs about such things as maternity leave.

It may well be that I need to look further. But we'll see. I made the points that I telecommuted as a PT employee, we work successfully with other off-site people, and I have never missed a deadline. I think my work ethic is hard to argue with.

Speaking of, I have hungry chickens.
#385 of 913 Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM

Okay I need some suggestions. Every time I get sick I start to feel better and go out for a run and run too hard and expect myself to pick up where I left off. Then I feel crappy and don't run again for days.

You'd think I'd have figured this out by now. :

So how to ease back in without feeling like I'm not really doing as much as I should/could? And quiet those stupid mental voices that say, "Keep going Wuss. No pain, no gain."

I really am an idiot.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#386 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Okay I need some suggestions. Every time I get sick I start to feel better and go out for a run and run too hard and expect myself to pick up where I left off. Then I feel crappy and don't run again for days.

You'd think I'd have figured this out by now. :

So how to ease back in without feeling like I'm not really doing as much as I should/could? And quiet those stupid mental voices that say, "Keep going Wuss. No pain, no gain."

I really am an idiot.
Don't you know that that is worst thing about runners? I swear the discipline of rehab and recovering from illness is much, much harder than the discipline of getting in motion each day.
The "no pain, no gain" is so ingrained that it makes our recoveries so much harder. I think that being women, we also worry about being seen as weak, so we push harder, when we should actually listen to our bodies to rest just one more day.
I suppose you could remind yourself that the rest is as much of the training as the actual running. For me, that is the only thing that quiets the anti-wuss voices.

BTW: is your siggy Hebrew and what does it mean?

mothercat

rr: spent about an hour at the pool and just needed to feel the water slipping past me and the rhythm of the swim. Ahh, so much better! Off to bed shortly. Ride in the morning.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#387 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 AM

drjen~

nickarolaberry~It's definitely tough. I've gotten sick at a couple of really inopportune times as far as training goes and it's SO hard to force yourself to rest when you're freaking out about missing out on training. Usually it results in a readjustment in my goals for whatever it is I'm training for. You just have to keep reminding yourself to listen to your body and to let it rest and recover when it needs it. It's hard to feel like a schlub, but I think it's worse when you push yourself too far.

OT: Does anyone have a good recipe for a mexican-type rice? Preferably that takes minimal effort? The last time I attempted it, it was so horrible that it got sent down the disposal and I had to resort to rice-a-roni. :

#388 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 AM

:: got a bike!!!! :::
I'm so excited! I finally have something I can commute all around the island on and pull the burley. It's so exciting! There's only one thing I feel a little bit ashamed of...

It's an electric bike. : Yes, that does mean I won't have to work to get up all the hills around here. So, it isn't exactly going to be a huge boost to my exercise level. But at least it will get me out of the car and that has to be worth a lot ($4.62/gallon today). And dh suggested that now I should start looking out for a tri bike! That's cool. I was a little worried that he'd say, well you've got a bike that's enough. But no, he gets it.

Anyway, just had to pop in and cheer for my bike.

Megs and CherylAnn (if you're checking in) - I will contact you about where to meet up on the 24th or maybe 25th? We'll figure it all out. Sorry I've been moving glacially on this.

Gaye - One trick I picked up for Mexican rice first to fry the dry rice in oil until it is beginning to brown. The other, (so okay, two tricks) is to puree chopped tomatoes, onion and garlic in the blender and use that as the bulk of the liquid for the rice. And use an ungodly amount of Knorr chicken base powder. Oh, and throw in canned peas and carrots. Good luck!

DrJen - Oh my. What a scene. I hope it all ends well. coming at you.

jo - : for your schedule. If anyone can make it happen I fully believe in you. You are my hero.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#389 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Plady, I want your bike. : I am hoping that in 5-10 years when gas goes really high, our road might be safe for bikes. As in, then no one will be able to afford driving in cars and trucks.

Nickarolaberry, I'll witness the same as what others said. I have hip pain so intense it makes me almost fall down sometimes (like, the day after I run on it) and the hardest part is staying off it. fyi girls, the second day after it's good again. weird, I know...

I was going to walk/run this AM, but someone got up early and turned off my alarm. (yeah. me.)

drjen, can you take a week off anytime soon? Maybe you need a recharge. You're a good doctor, and it would be a shame to lose you to burnout.

Anyone want to pick my beans? I am burnt on beans. In fact, I am mosquito spraying right now and going out to pick stuff before work. Oh, and cukes. Any takers for cukes?
#390 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM

Jo, I'll take your beans and your cukes! My kids love both. Unfortunately, Southern Indiana to your house is a little far to go for veggies ! My kids would love a weekend at your farm though, I'm sure.

Nickarolaberry ~ oh the eternal struggle, to rest or to HTFU (Harden The F$%#* Up) ! I say rest up, and get better, but I'm not so good at following my own advice on that one.

DrJen, that birth sounds like no fun! Hope it all worked out well for the young mama. You do need a break.

I feel much improved this morning . Still a little congested, but otherwise pretty good. I will run this afternoon. DH is heading to St. Louis for the annual model railroad meet that he hosts. He'll be gone until Sunday . Wish me luck, as my patience with the children has been thin, at best .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page