Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
must go watch May-Walsh destroy the Belgian team.
I love May-Walsh but we don't have cable and only get ABC nowadays... cheer loudly from me... just in case.

And poor little ds in his itty bitty cast and sling. He doesn't look bothered by it one bit though.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Yay kerc!

BBM.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#423 of 913 Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Eks, have you tried cabbage leaves? I used them a few times to fend off thrush/mastitis when I felt things getting hot & nasty in that region and it helped. That and GSE. Anywhooo... you just roll a leaf under a rolling pin a bit to kind of "release" the juices, then stick it right in your bra. At the least, it's kinda cool and refreshing! The L&D nurse at the Naval hospital where Nevie was born talked about this, and it's confirmed in "Birthing from Within." And it's just one more way that completely "mainstream" friends think I'm a crunchy nutcase, but that's hella fine with me.

DrJen... ohmygawd. OMG. I would have KILLED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE !Q#$^#$%^ KIDS! God bless you guys. Sucks that she chose not to BF. That is a choice I never, ever, ever understand. Duh. But really -- WTF?

Plady -- e-mail, call, whatevs! I know I will see CherylAnn in Wenatchee at least, so if you don't want to make the drive I am still reserving the right to crash in on you guys on the 27th if that's OK... I was planning to pack a tent and sleeping bags in case there's no extra guest space at your work-in-progress. I'm planning to be extremely flexible with this whole week. But I should probably contact my cousin in Tacoma and see if her guest room is available when I plan to be there! ;-)

Lovely evening tonight. Geneva has been so funny. She can identify clavicles now (she says "ackles"). Ahhh, warms the "ackles" of my PT nerd heart! She helped me make cornbread and she has been sleeping in her Big Girl Bed very nicely. I was so excited to set that up, as I've been dying to have her bed made with the quilt that my Grandma Geneva gave us... which was made by HER grandma... so, yeah, HUGE.

Anyway, i'm completely rambling. 'Cause I love you guys. And it's a day that ends in "y." Tomorrow I plan to ride my bike to the pool and do a laid-back swim. Then a 2-mile run on Saturday just to stay loose before Sunday's Sprint Tri. Which I assume is still happening, even those the freakin' race coordinators haven't sent out any information! Yikes.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#424 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 AM

Megs - You are welcome to cam out here! The only slight snafu I can foresee is that you might beat us here! We are tentatively meeting up with my dad and SM who are driving from WI Or we might not. And we might need to swing through Seattle to pick u a couch we'd ordered back in May. Or we might put that off for another time. Blork? Regardless, mi yard es tu yard. I have your number but I'm PAINFULLY shy about actually making calls. When is it too early and when is it too late to call?

Eks - Yes, cabbage leaves if you're still in need. And the hot shower/massage thing that MB mentioned. I never did try those milk teas but it certainly makes sense. I hope you're doing okay. I had mastitis once after Wendy and it sucked the big one. I went straight to ABX but under normal circumstances I would've tried not to too.

Gar, I hear nipper.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#425 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 AM

Penelope... there is no room for Shy in Dingoland! I'll be up by 7:30, I'm sure, and staying up late as long as these darn Olympiads are on. Sheesh! Can I just say I wish they showed more cycling?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#426 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 AM

DrJen~I have meant to ask you this a zillion times now, but how did C's mission trip go??? Been thinking a lot about her. Also, what did you and dh decide to do with your ring? And lastly, can I tell you how proud I am of you and your marathon training?! You have come so far in a year!!

RR: was going to run today, but trading that in for another day off so that I am fresh to run with a running group at my church tomorrow. A gentleman from a past bible study started running this last year and lost 60lbs and now wants to run a marathon. We ran into each other at a frozen custard place this summer and he had asked if I wanted to join the church running group. So, tomorrow, at good 'ol 6am, I'm heading to church for a run. I'm excited to have other people to run with!!! :

off to get ready for the day! Have a good day mamas!
#427 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 AM

no kidding megs about what they're showing...I'm sorry to those that may be enjoying volleyball but geez, if I see anymore volleyball.... I'm so excited track and field is starting.
#428 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
no kidding megs about what they're showing...I'm sorry to those that may be enjoying volleyball but geez, if I see anymore volleyball.... I'm so excited track and field is starting.
: dh and I keep saying the same thing! i am so happy for you bbm that you are feeling great
#429 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Double ditto.... I can't wait for Track and Field. And I want more cycling too. Megs, tjsmama, mothercat and other triathletes (or those interested ), Olympic triathlon is on this weekend !

RM ~ how cool that your church has a running group! Our church is huge; I wonder if I could drum up some interest among the 6000 people who go regularly to run once a week hmmmmm....

eks ~ I hope your mastitis is getting better. I had it once and had to go to abx because it abscessed. AWFUL!

bbm ~ what a breakthrough! I am so glad the meds are making such a difference.

I'm going to the YMCA this morning for a nice, long, slowish run outside. I must take advantage of the cool weather this morning . I think I need to get an appointment with my chiro too since my neck is giving me major issues right now. If it's not one thing.... I swear!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#430 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 AM

Jaygee~um, 6,000? wow! Our church is around 2,500 people, and it seems big to me. We have a lady in the church that directs the sports program and she has a mini marathon program called "more than finishing". I think this running group sparked from that program. I'm excited about getting involved in it!
#431 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM

mountain biked for about 1.5 hours last night. feeling better, but i'm still slow as a turtle. today is an off day cause i have to work all day at the bike shop, but that's alright.

BBM - i'm happy that you got help. i can remember when i realized that i'd been freed from my anxiety with homeopathic medicine, such a liberating feeling.

Kerc - very exciting!
#432 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM

I walked about 2.25 miles last night - to the YMCA and back to watch my nephew at his 2nd flag football practice. I must gush that he is really good. That boy can kick, and he got a touchdown, and he got 2 flags!! So proud. :

Today I plan on going into work a little early and doing my strength training workout. I guess I should use my free membership before my summer gig is done there.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#433 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 PM

I love all the volleyball coverage, but I played in high school. I can see how it would be getting old for others! it's killing me that it's always on in late night though...I just can't go to bed when volleyball's on! I do wish there was more cycling coverage, too. I went to the nbc olympics website last week and set up to receive alerts for the triathlon coverage. I can't wait, especially since I raced "with" Matt Reed at my last race! I think there's going to be live coverage streaming...

So, the change in the weather that I was SO excited for because it would be nice and cool for my race tomorrow came last night, and it's TOO MUCH. It's raining and 50 and supposed to be raining with a high of 61 tomorrow. Yuck. Should be good to run in, I guess, but the bike is going to be absolutely miserable. I'll already be cold and wet from the swim and I won't get a chance to dry off. Not to mention that I'm scared of riding in the rain! Send some DRY vibes our way, please, dingoes! I don't mind the cool/cold, but no rain, please!

The rain also killed off my plans to take DS to the zoo today. I think we might go to the mall instead. The mall by us has this play area that's awesome. It has giant breakfast foods that they can run and jump and climb and play on. The kids love it. DS's favorites are the waffle and the bacon. Must get some of his energy out! He woke up with a runny nose and some sneezing this morning...I really hope it doesn't turn into a full-blown cold...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#434 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Jaygee, it's ELCA and that big? Did you tell me which one and I forgot? I get used to being down here in the south where big is a couple hundred for ELCA.

ds seems bothered not at all by his cast, which is a relief, and dh is doing better too...he talked to some good friends and his parents about it and it helped to tell the story over and over. and also that ds is doing so well.

I did 4.5 this morning and then walked home from the grocery store with lots of groceries...can I call that strength training???? and I'm going to run tomorrow, how long depends on mommabelle.

we taped gymnastics and then watched it this morning and it was FANTASTIC...I remember so well watching Mary Lou win and then she was there, watching the Americans take one and two...completely great! I am over regular volleyball but am a fan of May-Walsh or wahtever their married names are.

I have yet to write a sermon this week at all...usually I have something down by now but with arm boy I was out of it yesterday. must go look at texts.
#435 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Jaygee, it's ELCA and that big? Did you tell me which one and I forgot? I get used to being down here in the south where big is a couple hundred for ELCA.
No, not ELCA . DH did not like the ELCA church here at all, so we go to a non-denominational Christian church. Six-thousand was probably an exaggeration , but at least 3,000 on a weekly basis. The place is huge! I like the church, but truly miss my ELCA liturgy. I'm one of those crazy people who likes to sing the Psalms !

rr: I did 6.5 miles outside at the Y this morning, slow, as anticipated, but now it's done. Chiro had no appointments today, so I need to wait until Monday for some neck pain relief. Darn.

#436 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
J
I did 4.5 this morning and then walked home from the grocery store with lots of groceries...can I call that strength training???? and I'm going to run tomorrow, how long depends on mommabelle.
What time are y'all going? I'd be up for a run if you're going early.

Zumba was fun as usual this morning. I'm tossing around the idea of getting certified to teach it. I love the classes, but I want more!

BBM- I'm glad you're feeling so good.

Gaye-I can't believe how cool it is there already! Wow-have fun with the bacon and waffles.

I'm so glad I'm not the only sick of volleyball!

I went shopping last night and bought jeans in a size smaller than last year's! AND on sale!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#437 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 PM

Hey Megs and tjsmama, what did/will you eat/drink during your Oly tris? Gels, water, gatorade, etc.? I plan on finishing in around 3 hours, give or take, and have no clue how to fuel this thing.

#438 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Day 2 is better than yesterday - I felt a little too jazzed yesterday but that was b/c I had three cups of coffee on top of meds (can you tell I've had to use caffeine to maintain). So today I only had one cup and I feel better. Still alert, still very good mood and patient. It's pretty good.

Okay maybe I'm an imbecile, but what's zumba?

Our church is so small, maybe 70 regular attendants....

oooo don't tell me about gymnastics, I haven't watched the tape yet.

gotta go...dd calls.
#439 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Okay maybe I'm an imbecile, but what's zumba?
Zumba is a dance-fitness class that includes a lot of Latin stuff (salsa, etc.). It's a blast. You can do a zumba search on Youtube to see examples of classes.

#440 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Ooo I would love that!
#441 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM

bbm~I am so glad to hear your story and that you are feeling better and found something that helps you. I got all teary eyed reading your story and relating it to my son. So so so happy for you!
#442 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM

HBM...you should go for it! It's so much fun!!!

bbm..glad to hear your story and that you are so happy! I've been thinking about doing the same thing! It's getting old. Did you just see your regular Dr or a psychiatrist?

I better get down to my tm. It is a day that ends in Y after all!
#443 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 PM

BBM-Did you check to see if there are any classes near you? It is so much fun. It's the only workout where I find myself smiling the entire time. I'm totally addicted.

#444 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 PM

JayGee -- To be honest, I'm still figuring out that fueling thing. I've had Shot Bloks in the past and like those fairly well. I think it will take me at least 3 1/2 hours to finish (I will be DRAGGING on the run), so I know I will need a few refuels during the bike & maybe halfway through the run. I dunno. I used a Hammer gel the other day and it was GRODY. Or maybe I'll mix some electrolyte stuff into one of my bike water bottles and just go back & forth with that & water.

???

Plady, your schedule the week of the 25th sounds a bit complicated for me to try and squeeze into SJI. I went ahead and made overnight plans in Bellingham, Bellevue & Tacoma, so that leaves a lot of room to meet you for coffee or something, at least! And if not this go-round, well, we will still live in the same state for quite some time ;-)

#445 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

did you notice there was "Zumba-wear?" it would be a must if someone were to, you know, teach it or something.... I am excited (and a little bit intimidated) to try it out.

MEGS!!!!! 10 cool pts for using GRODY. And I agree, the gels are the definition of the word. I could not get them down without a bit of "I'm gonna barf" feeling. So I switched to bloks. But I haven't done a run over 13 miles in several years.
#446 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 PM

BBM - How cool that the meds are helping so much! I'm so glad you've gotten some relief too! What a long time coming huh?

So I just came back from one of the high points of the summer. I took dd1 in the burley to the pond a mile from our house and had a swim. I couldn't convince her to stay in the water for more than about 12 seconds but I thought it felt great to be swimming away. The water was cool and fresh and no walls to bump into!! : (The only grody thing was that the pond is kind of weedy and I kept swimming into strings of the stuff that would wrap around me like a feather boa.) Then we sat on the dock and chatted for a while then picked some blackberries before heading home. My sense of my basal fitness level has been knocked a bit. Even with the power assist on hills (really, only big ones) I feel so many muscles that haven't worked in years. But that feeling of flying down a hill with the wind in my face and my hair flying back, there's just nothing like it. I can't believe I let myself not have a bike for so long.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#447 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
No, not ELCA . DH did not like the ELCA church here at all, so we go to a non-denominational Christian church. Six-thousand was probably an exaggeration , but at least 3,000 on a weekly basis. The place is huge! I like the church, but truly miss my ELCA liturgy. I'm one of those crazy people who likes to sing the Psalms !

rr: I did 6.5 miles outside at the Y this morning, slow, as anticipated, but now it's done. Chiro had no appointments today, so I need to wait until Monday for some neck pain relief. Darn.
So that's you, and me, and Beth - any more ELCA Dingo mamas??

(We're going to a fairly small reconciling in Christ congregation and I really like it so far - first time dh and I have both been happy with a church in forever.)

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#448 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HELP!!!!!!

DD's birthday party is tomorrow. She asked for this cake:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=50135

I agreed.

However, I can't find Necco wafers in the store. Do any creative dingos have any ideas for a substitute? Any ideas on what store carries these things? They used to be just in the candy isle, but I guess that was 25 years ago....
#449 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Hmmm... vanilla wafers, mentos....
#450 of 913 Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Wendy-Cracker Barrel has Necco wafers. Could you roll out gum drops to flat discs? Our Michael's (craft store) carries pre-colored fondant. You could get that and roll it thin and cut out circles. Let us know how it turns out and make sure to post pics. Good Luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page