Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Argh, Gaye! What a bummer -- after all the training, etc. I'm glad you're safe. And yeah, that swim start sounds like bollocks to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Oh right. Don't listen to that silliness. Megs has this lovely warm soprano that make you totally want to grab a drink and find some cozy place to hangout and chat for hours.
Bwaaaa! You got me ferklempt with that. How does some beer in a dark Bavarian-esque restaurant sound... sayyyy, next Sunday?? :

Speaking of restaurants, we watched "Mostly Martha" today and now I just want to go out for a realllllly nice dinner. Involving gnocchi. Hey, it's carb-loading for tomorrow, right?

The weather is supposed to be about 100 tomorrow. It's so dang hot today. Luckily it's a Sprint, so I know I'll be done by 10:30 am.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#482 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 08:52 PM

ugh Deena Kastor (sp?) just dropped out, something wrong with her foot.
#483 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
ugh Deena Kastor (sp?) just dropped out, something wrong with her foot.
Oh crap! I reallly admire her. Must google.
#484 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Go, Megs, Go!!!

Kick some tri butt! I'll will some of our cold weather your way!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#485 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Live Women's Marathon coverage in text form. I am so sad for Deena. although Paula Radcliffe looks good, and the Romanian chick (who is 38, BTW!) is smokin' a big lead right now.

But my girl is swimming tonight too...

did a nice 3.5 with HBM this morning.
#486 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM

I also like Paula, although I like Deena a teansy bit better because she's american. thanks for the link!
#487 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Watching the swimming tonight. Did anyone see what Dara Torres did before the race? One of the other racers had her suit rip right before she got on the starting block. Dara tried to help her fix it and there just wasn't anyway to make it work. The swimmer (Aschlander) ran to the locker room to change suits and Torres went to the officials and asked them to delay the start just long enough to let the swimmer get back. They did!!. It was a totally selfless and very sportsmanlike move on Torres' part
that was so awesome! she is just plain awesome!

mothercat - sorry about the accident, hope you are feeling ok

gaye - bummer on the race, mama. definitely make some noise about at least getting your shirt and a discount!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#488 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 PM

MB, hope your ds' arm is better.

Gaye, that sucks abotu your tri!

Sorry that I missed the run this am. Today I got to waterski (1st time in 20 years!) and kneeboard today. And I did it without injuring myself. My 42 year old dh did a ton of wake boarding and wake skating today... he actually was looking oretty good doing it.. like he's in his early 20's or something.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#489 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 11:24 PM

Ugh, I'm so far behind - y'all need to stop doing anything comment-worthy while I'm busy!

RR, first - I ran 17 miles this morning!! I went to run with the Team in Training group, and they were only doing 90 min total, but the coach agreed to stick around and finish with me since I'm following a slightly different plan. I ran the first 4.5 miles with a 19 year old college girl who had been training with a different group out of town and just moved back to start her sophomore year at the local college. She was really nice and chatty and a pleasure to run with. She turned around, though to do the 90 minutes, and that left me alone for the next 5 miles. It wasn't too bad, as we run on a paved bike/run path and there are lots of people to look at, water and powerade available every mile or so, and the weather was really nice. At 10 miles, I was back to the start, and then turned back around to head out with the marathon coach. I was a little worried because I'd been running faster than I felt like I should, but I was feeling good. Once I had the coach for company again, I really felt good and we clipped along the last 7 miles. It ended up being 17.08 total, and I finished in 3:02:10, just about 10:40 pace. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that I managed to run for 3 whole hours!

My only issue is in the TMI category. I'm finding more and more places to need body glide since I've started running farther distances. The latest chafed place is my rear end in the lower inner butt cheek area. I didn't feel it at all while running, but man is it tender and sore now - really awful when I first start to walk, or go to sit down. I put a little Burt's Bees diaper rash stuff there - any other ideas?

bbm - I'm so glad for you that meds are helpful. I recently had a high school principal patient start meds for the first time in his life and he also can't believe how different things are. I hope it will stay as effective for you!

tjsmama - man, that sucks. It's almost be better to have it called ahead of time than halfway through. Definitely, you should get your shirt, though.

mothercat - are you feeling okay today? No achiness from getting jarred? I hate car accidents.

Geo - I love the finished cake - my spacial-relations-deprived brain would have had a heck of a time figuring out cutting out those fins! The strawberries look marvelous, and much more yummy than the Necco wafers would have. How'd K. like it?
#490 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 11:33 PM

$300 worth of soap is made. the bathroom ceiling is painted. Now i think i'm going to go make that Romanian marathoner a sandwich. she's nothing but bones.
#491 of 913 Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 PM

MOthercat! I'm sorry mama! I was totally thinking of you when I started posting and then *poof* self absorbtion kicked in . Are you feeling okay?

Megs - Mmmmmm bavarian beer

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#492 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
MOthercat! I'm sorry mama! I was totally thinking of you when I started posting and then *poof* self absorbtion kicked in . Are you feeling okay?
Thanks for all the hugs and well wishes dingoes.
Surprisingly, I'm feeling pretty good. No headache, no unusual aches. Noticed that my shoulders are a little on the tilt but I'll see the chiro Monday.

More than me, I'm worried about my two births from last week. It has just been a hard week for both the moms for a variety of reasons and they are exhausted, and dealing with new babies.

Totally off subject but has anyone seen "Orgasmic Birth"?

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#493 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
$300 worth of soap is made. the bathroom ceiling is painted. Now i think i'm going to go make that Romanian marathoner a sandwich. she's nothing but bones.
There were a few of those women who looked like they'd missed meals, but darn, she opened up a serious lead and never lost it.

Is anyone watching the men's 100 meter track final? Bolt looked like he was barely trying and quit running 15 meters before the finish. Gaye was injured and withdrew, Powell looks devastated.

drjen, way to go on the run. See, the dingoes knew you could do it.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#494 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 AM

Orgasmic Birth, eh? I'm hooked... do tell! I remember thinking that the part of contractions that felt good (the yin to the yang!) was reminiscent of the Big O.

OK, car is loaded with gear and I'm ready for tomorrow as much as I'll be. AF arrived today, but better today than -- surprise!!! -- tomorrow. And better this weekend for the easy sprint than next weekend for the gonna-kill-me-dead Oly.

So, you other bike Dingoes... riddle me this: I looked up last year's results from the Oly I'm doing, just to see if I was at least going to have some company in my slowness. And I was really shocked by the bike paces they displayed -- even the SLOWEST person, the one who didn't finish, averaged over 22 MPH for the 25 miles. Is it just me, or is that unrealistic? And the top ladies were averaging in the high 30's. I can only break 30 when I'm pedaling downhill -- and I'm not that fast, but my bike is.

So what do you think: is the course short, or am I outta my league?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#495 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 AM

Megs~ I just don't see how that can be possible unless the whole thing is downhill! The race I did last month is one of the top olys in the country as far as elite racers and top age-groupers go, but I averaged less than 15 mph on the bike and was certainly not even close to the slowest, who averaged 9 mph. Matt Reed (Olympic team member who won the pro race) only averaged 26 mph. You're gonna be fine!

geo~Forgot to mention earlier, way to go with the cake! It looks great!

I'm hearing (well, reading online) rumors that the race directors are going to order arm warmers for all of us (that was the gear for the Crazy Back 2 Back people that signed up for the olympic race today AND the sprint tomorrow) and 50% off next year's race. I'll be happy with that if that's how it shakes out.

Bad news is that I think I'm getting sick. I've had a sore throat building all day. Blork. Hard training + lack of sleep (stoopid olympics) = run down immune system. A cold wet bike ride probably didn't help much. DS has some major snot working, but so far seems to be feeling ok still.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#496 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post

Totally off subject but has anyone seen "Orgasmic Birth"?
I want to see it--and I want step-by-step instructions for making it happen!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#497 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 AM

Vegan Cupcake ~ holy shmoly, where did the time go? I just looked at your ticker and saw that you're 37 weeks ! Are you ready???

mothercat ~ never seen Orgasmic Birth, but I agree with Megs that there were times when the contractions felt really good.

Megs ~ that's nuts! There is no way they were riding that fast for the entire distance. I don't think Olympians ride that fast for 40K. Maybe they had a monster tailwind or something....

tjsmama ~ hope you can fight off what you're getting. That's exactly what happened to me 3 weeks ago ~ lack of sleep + too much training = nasty cold .

grnmtnmama ~ I almost spit my coffee ! She does need a sandwich (or two), but that was one heck of a lead she took, early on.

Dang cat woke me up at 5:55am again. Meow-wow..... DH comes home this afternoon. To test out some gels, I'm planning a 4.5 mile run to the Y, followed by a 45 minute swim, and then a 4.5 mile run home this evening. I am actually looking forward to it !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#498 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
My only issue is in the TMI category. I'm finding more and more places to need body glide since I've started running farther distances. The latest chafed place is my rear end in the lower inner butt cheek area. I didn't feel it at all while running, but man is it tender and sore now - really awful when I first start to walk, or go to sit down. I put a little Burt's Bees diaper rash stuff there - any other ideas?
oh.my.gosh. that just happened to me yesterday (only 8 mile run) and I am so embarrassed. thank you for posting this! when I used the restroom, I wiped with the kids flushable wipes or witch hazel. Much better by the end of the day. I was wondering though, how the heck that happens and is it okay for body glide there? also, not sure about the feeling of my cheeks "gliding".... WAY TO GO ON 17 MILES!!!! WOW!!!! You rock!!

RR: so, in trying to keep up with the church running group...I'm hurting a little today. I was totally enjoying running with other people, that I kept their pace, not used to running outside for months now (traded my LR outside time for taking care of my 88yo GM), and talking. I had to use my inhaler and stop to walk at the very end. My legs are sore. I guess I have lots of work to do before next Saturday!

Day off today. Our washer is broke, so back down to my Dad's to spend the morning doing laundry again. Dog is acting really weird, don't know what's wrong. I don't like that they can't tell you! Last night we came home from church and she was shaking and couldn't walk. Today she can walk but is still not herself. I'm hoping it passes? :
#499 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 AM

I missed the marathon coverage. I meant to catch the last few minutes, but I totally missed it. I was so disapointed! Dh has been watching until midnight pretty regularly, leaving me to do bedtime, and I'd hoped to get a chance to watch for a few minutes and have *him* do some bedtime, but no luck. :

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#500 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Lisa - could she have had a seizure? How old is she? My baby that I had from the time of 11 until I was 28 had seizures. But they didn't start until she was 16ish. I didn't see the first one, but she looked a lot like you described afterwards. She took phenobarbital (anti-seizure) that helped a lot for a long time.

And I second ya Lisa - my legs are very tired and sore today. I'm supposed to do a 2 mile "fun run" as a fund raiser for the high school tonight. It may not be too pretty.

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more drama to the women's marathon. But I was very impressed by the winner. She was tough and slam dunked that race.
#501 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 AM

GOOD LUCK RACERS!

Megs
kate~mom

Can't wait to read the race reports to hear about those speeds, Megs, and that crazy half, Katie!

tjsmama- so sorry about that crazy race, but hopefully those consolations will come through!

I really enjoyed watching the marathon, even if it wasn't too dramatic. it looked like the chinese women were working together, which I thought was interesting.

DH (former track and fielder) fell out of his chair laughing watching the 100 m mens bc that guy was so insanely fast

RM- I hope your doggie is okay!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#502 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Dr. Jen, 17 miles.. woo hoo. That is so impressive, espec with yoru schedule and stress these last few weeks. I'm proud of you!!!

Orgasmic birth.. I just got an email about a showing here in Atlanta (too far away for me though- intown). I watched the trailer, adn it looked good. I only had 1 unmedicated birth, my last, and I was ready and open for it to be a smooth and peaceful, fufuilling thing. I wanted a natural birth more than anything. But I was truly overcome and overpowered by teh pain. Bad pain. I truly traumatized my dh for life with the misery that I communicated out of my mouth. Anyway, I wish my natural birth woudl have been like that, but I was not able to make it happen. I do think that I expereinced something close to a birth orgasm w/ my 1st dd, who was an epidural birth.. which is odd to me. I was expecting my unmedicated birth to replicate or be superior to the feelings that I had with my 1st, but it just didn;t happen that way.

Woops, sorry for the novel. Anyway, I'll prob purchase the DVD when available, like I did with TBoBB.. for my dd's to see, LOL.

Big news for me, I am dowm to 30 lbs total, woo hoo. And today, I bought a pair of size 16 jeans, and I got them on... which is HUGE for me. They do give me too much of a muffin top to wear with most shirts, but they looked pretty good on em. LY, my 18's were tight. I 'm proud of myself. TFR

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#503 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Whoops, I missed kate~mom's race on the list!
Better late than never...

GO KATE~MOM GO!!!

I have a killer sore throat, but otherwise don't feel TOO bad yet. DS's snot is out of control, and he's driving me a little nutty. We really needed to get out of the house today, but oh well.

#504 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 04:15 PM

all i have to say is...i am going to hurt tomorrow. big time.

need to wash the dirt, grime, and bodily fluids off of myself.

dh and ds are already at the pool, and i have been summoned.

so much for a nap.
#505 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 04:25 PM

Hello Ladies,

I know it has been a while : I have been really focusing on some personal stuff so haven't been on MDC much.

I wish running was going better, but I am still finding it hard to get out there with 3 little ones. I am hoping that the Fall will be better. On a brighter note, I have lost 25 pounds of my baby weight (some of which was hanging around after dd2) and I only have 10 pounds left to get down to where I was before Holly was born. I am definitely not a fit as I was then, so I am really going to try and work on that. Gotta come to the thread to be accountable.

Geo do we owe you a letter? Holly hasn't heard from Karen in a while and I couldn't remember.

Take care everyone
#506 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm wondering if I just got the lung part of this summer cold thing. I have had trouble breathing for several weeks and this weekend it has intensified. I'm calling for a Dr appointment tomorrow. I have had asthma before too, so urgh! I can't run! :

WTG RACERS!!!!

Gaye..sorry your race was called, but it's good you're safe!
#507 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Geo do we owe you a letter? Holly hasn't heard from Karen in a while and I couldn't remember.
We got something in the mail recently. We were gone three weeks, so it might have been sent a while ago... I'll ask Karen about it.

Fast 2.5 mile walk today. I didn't want to run without my shoes, which are currently on a UPS truck somewhere between San Francisco and here.

Holy Weightloss Dingos!
#508 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM

I mentioned I have this two mile "fun run" tonight didn't I? Well, my legs are still toast from yesterday! Urgh
#509 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Hey, all. Well, the sprint went just fine. I finished about the same time as I did last year -- but plus 30 seconds. My run SUUUUHHHHHCKED today (compared to last year, that is). But! I shaved huge time off my swim by just sucking it up and plowing through the crowd. Some of them plowed over me, but then I did my fair share of plowing, too. Kinda freaky, but it paid off. My bike FELT much faster than last year, but I don't know if it really was yet. I think I averaged about 17 mph. I was scooting right along for the first 4 or 5, but then we took a turn and some headwind kicked in. Oh well. I mostly only got passed by the elites from the next age group. But last year they passed me in the water, too, so there you go! So by the run i was a bit toast already, and it's super hot today. I took a couple very brief walk breaks (for water, and one tiny hill), so I ended up averaging well over 9-min miles for that... but it's faster than I felt like i was going.

All in all, I'm OK with this. I do realize that I am not in the same running shape as I was last year (I put 4 minutes on my run this year), so hopefully next year I can put all the puzzle pieces together. I am a bit worried about next weekend's Oly, though. I was so tired on today's run after an easy 10.2 bike... don't know what I'm gonna do about biking & running over twice this distance. The swim isn't really fazing me right now.

I guess the worst that could happen is that I try and I have to pull out (if it's just too hot and I think I will hurt myself) or I am just the last one over the line.

#510 of 913 Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 PM

WTG, Megs! It sounds like you did great. The heat really does a number on you, it sucks! You're going to be fine for your oly, I promise. Just take your time if you need to, and focus on finishing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page