Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this will help anyone else keep up with the dates of the racers.

August 2
nancy926 - Fairfax Egg Run 5K

August 3
JayGee - Indiana Downs Sprint Tri

August 6
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Road Runners Summer Series 5K IV Allentown, PA

August 10
2babybees - Sylvania Tri (international distance)
mothercat - Sylvania Tri - Olympic distance Tri

August 16
Plady - Friday Harbor 8.8k Loop Run
tjsmama - Rattlesnake Olympic Tri

August 17
Megs_BK - WunderWoman Sprint Triathlon

August 24
JayGee - Accenture Chicago Triathlon (International Distance)
Megs_BK - Apple Capital Olympic Triathlon

August 31
Penelope - 5K

September 20
babybugmama - USAF Half Marathon

September 28
shantimama - toronto waterfront half-marathon
Penelope - 10K
pumpkinseed - 10 miler

October 5
Naughty Dingo - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon
nancy926 - Leaf Peepers Half Marathon

October 11
towsonmama - Baltimore Marathon
kerc - 10K - October 11

October 12
DrJen - Chicago Marathon -
SugarAndSun - Steamtown Marathon

November 1
JayGee - Indianapolis Monumental Half-Marathon

November 27
its_our_family - 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day Race (Cincinnati)
HBM, mamabeth, & Mommabelle - Atlanta Half-Marathon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM

WTB Megs! that sounds like an excellent race, you should be very proud. And i think you have the right idea for your oly. take it as it comes.

as for me. i've been out of the house almost 12 hours. some fantastic mtn bike riding today - just about 20 miles or so, which is a considerable distance on these sort of trails. rode with a great group of people and i'm in a super mood.

have to shower and change as i'm invited over to an acquaintance's house for a girls night. she's the Director of Marketing for a local inn and spa and just hooked me up with a certificate for a free spa treatment because i own a bike shop and can talk up their property to the tourists. sweet.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Hey tri-dingoes, don't forget that the women's olympic triathlon is on tonight, live streaming coverage at 10 pm eastern, highlights on the late-night show! The men's race will be on tomorrow night at the same time. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Vegan Cupcake ~ holy shmoly, where did the time go? I just looked at your ticker and saw that you're 37 weeks ! Are you ready???
I don't know where the time went! Not quite ready, but getting there. Thanks for asking!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 08-17-2008, 10:16 PM

So wow, what a fun run.

Jgmommo and I jogged to the high school where it started (about 1.25). It's a small group of people, maybe 50? I dunno, it's hard for me to guess. We start off and about 1/3 of a mile in I check my garmin and we're only doing 8:15mm. I check in with myself and realize, I'm not breathinig hard, I'm not tired, I need to pick it up. So I do. By mile 1 I hit 7:20. I felt fine, checked in again and just focused on easy breathing. Picked off kid after kid Came around the final turn and picked it up again..finished strong at 14:44. I must admit it made me wonder what I could've done if I hadn't run 15 yesterday. But I was 7th woman overall and got this cool trinket from beijing in honor of the olympics - it's these sandles made out of some sort of stone with very vivid reds and orange threads. Pretty. Then the jog home (where I had to pee so bad I thought I was going to pee myself) and some guy yelled at jgmommo and me "nice legs!" Thankyouverymuch
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM

OMG, thanks for the update, Gaye! For some reason I thought it was being broadcast tomorrow... I think my Mac is too outdated for the streaming broadcast, but I will see what I can do...

BBM & Jgmommo -- WOW! What an awesome pace. And hellzyeah on the "nice legs." Sometimes a little objectification is just what the Dr. ordered.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 PM

Great job, Megs! Just think, by this time next Sunday, both our Oly races will be history! Thank goodness !

I just had a super run-swim-run workout so I could try out the Shot Bloks I bought today. I ran 4 miles to the YMCA, then swam 2100m (55 minutes), then ran home a different way for another 5.15 miles. The whole deal took 2:20ish without counting the wardrobe changes in the locker room. The Bloks were okay. Kind of gooey though.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 PM

That's a great workout, JayGee. I'm impressed! I kind of like Shot Bloks, but they're finicky. If they get stale, you'll be chewing for. ev. er. I learned that the hard way during my first tri of the season.

I'm super excited for the triathlon coverage! I put DS down to bed a little early partly just so I could make sure I didn't miss any! :

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 AM

If you can't stream the tri coverage and you are anywhere near the US/Canadian border, the CBC is doing live coverage. They keep cutting back to track and field, but at least coverage is in real time.

DH picked up a copy of Chi Running at the library last week. Plan is to head for the Y TM tomorrow so I can watch my form and start making necessary changes to my form. There has got to be a solution to this ankle problem.

BTW: caught DH reading Chi Running. Think he may take up running again. He's a hockey goalie, but does no training, so I guess that makes him a weekend warrior. He had a meniscus tear and repair in '02 and the ortho doc told him if he wanted to get his knees replaced in a few years to go ahead and run. I've been trying to convince him ever since that it just ain't so.

Where did the myth that running is extremely bad for the knees come from?

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 AM

I have seen this movie twice this week. The producers has all the big name NCB experts you would expect and the birth photography is a very good quality. Lots of labor and births. A nicely done movie.

Their point is that this is what birth can be for 90% of women. According to Ina May's small study about 21% of laboring women feel that the contractions and birth are very similar, if not actual, big "O's". The NCB experts are saying that the circumstances need to be right~low lights, few disturbances, supportive care.

I can't say that this was how any of my births went, but it is very easy to see the producer's point about how sexual birth is.

I just wondered what others had thought of the movie.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 AM

Official Results:

Swim (1/4 mi): 00:10:03.800
T1: 00:02:50.400
Bike (10.2 mi): 00:34:12.500
MPH: 17.9
T2: 00:02:55.600
Run (3 mi): 00:27:50.900
min/mile: 00:09:17.0
TOTAL: 01:17:53.2

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Their point is that this is what birth can be for 90% of women. According to Ina May's small study about 21% of laboring women feel that the contractions and birth are very similar, if not actual, big "O's". The NCB experts are saying that the circumstances need to be right~low lights, few disturbances, supportive care.
I can honestly say that my second birth (first vaginal birth) was like this, at least for the contractions. From about 4 cm-8cm I was in the jacuzzi tub in our bathroom, very low lights, middle of the night, all alone (I told DH and the midwife to take a nap!) I vividly remember rocking through each contraction and the warm water rushing over me and actually looking forward to the next wave. Of course, we ended up transferring and I delivered in a hospital and tore unnecessarily, so the actual birth was less-than orgasmic . But those 3 or 4 hours that I labored in the water in the middle of the night were so awesome .

Back to the topic.... I am so excited to pick up my bike at the shop this evening and take her out for a nice long ride . Taper..... what's a taper !

Megs, your times look great! I wish my transitions were that fast. You'd think I was taking a shower and having a massage in T1/T2 if you looked at my times there. We're going to rock that oly distance this weekend!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Wow, Megs, I read your tri report and felt total awe. You tri women are really amazing. Fo' sho.

Really, really missing the running these couple days. Might go ahead and give it a short shot again later in the week, if I can get it together. We'll see.

I picked a ton of vegetables from the garden yesterday, made spicy mixed pickles (I hope they turn out OK), and stuffed peppers and eggplants. We're leaving early to pick up dh today, because my friend and copilot wants to go to Chicago first and do a little pre-Ramadan shopping.

Oh and I wanted to share that the last long run I did this summer, my butt did the same thing. I walked funny for a couple days.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So wow, what a fun run.

Jgmommo and I jogged to the high school where it started (about 1.25). It's a small group of people, maybe 50? I dunno, it's hard for me to guess. We start off and about 1/3 of a mile in I check my garmin and we're only doing 8:15mm. I check in with myself and realize, I'm not breathinig hard, I'm not tired, I need to pick it up. So I do. By mile 1 I hit 7:20. I felt fine, checked in again and just focused on easy breathing. Picked off kid after kid Came around the final turn and picked it up again..finished strong at 14:44. I must admit it made me wonder what I could've done if I hadn't run 15 yesterday. But I was 7th woman overall and got this cool trinket from beijing in honor of the olympics - it's these sandles made out of some sort of stone with very vivid reds and orange threads. Pretty. Then the jog home (where I had to pee so bad I thought I was going to pee myself) and some guy yelled at jgmommo and me "nice legs!" Thankyouverymuch

Wow, way to go! Nice legs!!!

RR: just got back from a very nice outdoor run with ds in jogger. That's a challenge, even with not much hills or wind. We did just under 4 miles and it was challenging but felt great, beautiful day. time to shower!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM

Megs~ I know nothing about tri times, but way to go!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM

There are some fast runners here

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM

just popping in to ask the experts a question.

My cousin who is a runner asked me this yesterday. She just got married, is trying to get pregnant and she wants to know about running and pregnancy. She has been advised it's perfectly fine but some adjustments may need to be made as she gets further along. No details from her dr. as to what these adjustments might be though.

I thought I'd ask here and see if I could find first hand information for her

Thanks

btw..I cannot tell you how impressed I am by all of you athletes! I hope to join this thread someday!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM

I woke up today totally planning to have a better attitude and put my best foot forward, so to speak. And then, as I was getting ready to walk out of the house, dd dressed and ready, on time, the ER called. I have an admission for a no-doctor patient (I'm on call for patients who need to be admitted who have no current primary care physician.) At 8:20 am. We switch from the doc on call yesterday to the doc on call today at 8 am. Blech. Anyway, so that's 40 minutes of time I didn't plan on spending at the hospital and didn't plan for, so sure to make me late. Ten minutes later, labor and delivery calls. I have a client in labor. Third baby, active when she got here. So now half my day is messed up as I had to cancel my morning hours and reschedule a bunch of folks - and I was planning on being in the office early to finish some stupid paperwork. I'm trying hard to hold on to the better attitude.

RR - I ran 3+ easy, recovery miles last night. Ds did most of them with me on his scooter and talked my ear off, which was nice. The first mile I felt sort of stiff, but then I loosened up and the whole run felt pretty good. I ran 3.12, and walked a half mile warm up and cool down to help with the day-after-stiffness from my long run and we went after dark in the nice cool air. It really felt good.

Megs - Yay on finishing that tri! I don't know anything about times either, but it sounds great that you were so close to last year's time even with the longer run time.

bbm - that's a smoking 2 miles for someone who just did 15!

JayGee - Dang, 9 + miles and 55 minutes of swimming in 2:20? That's unbelievable!

Okay, off to check on my laboring client.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
just popping in to ask the experts a question.

My cousin who is a runner asked me this yesterday. She just got married, is trying to get pregnant and she wants to know about running and pregnancy. She has been advised it's perfectly fine but some adjustments may need to be made as she gets further along. No details from her dr. as to what these adjustments might be though.

I thought I'd ask here and see if I could find first hand information for her

Thanks

btw..I cannot tell you how impressed I am by all of you athletes! I hope to join this thread someday!
allgirls you are definitely in the right place for that question! Honestly her body will tell her the limitations. As you get further along you just naturally slow down and may not want to go as far. If she's concerned just pay attention to heart rate not letting it get too high. I ran until I was 8 mos pregnant and stopped then b/c of the pubic dis something or other...basically all my joints started relaxing too much and it hurt like hell to run. I know others though that ran all the way up to the end. Running is awesome! Give it a go

DrJen breathe in breathe out. Have you thought about working on some meditations to help with coping and relaxation so that you can employ them when your day gets tweaked? I understand the mess to return from a vacation, but have you really considered that perhaps you need a time to truly check out? For ATLEAST a week and if you can swing it longer? You really just sound beyond crispy. (If you need to vent, please let me know I can give you my #, I'd love to chat).

AWESOME 4 miler with jgmommo today. Our goal was slow and easy. And it was, but faster than I would've guessed. We did 10:10 average miles....I predicted closer to 11's after our last two days. It felt, and I feel just amazing! It doesn't hurt that it is a picture perfect day weather-wise.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

BBM, so glad you're having awesome running days lately!

and Megs, congrats, those times look awesome! did you go home and watch the olympic tri after??

so y'all, I think my kids get carsick. I am home from an aborted attempt at a trip to my mom's because dd, who got greener and greener as the trip went on (over curvy roads to get to the highway ) got out at our pee stop and said she felt like she was going to puke. She looked TERRIBLE too so I gave her a bag and told her we were going home, and she felt so bad she just said, "okay." I was upset but what are you gonna do, and I headed home on the highway route. She perked up a bit once we were on the straight roads, and then at home she was totally fine. I don't know what took me so long to catch on, but I think that's what happened with ds on our aborted camping trip, too.

So that's a terribly long way of saying 1. Poor me! and 2. What do you do for carsick kids? besides try to drive on the highway most of the time?

ETA: 4.5 with neighbor this morning
Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM

mamabeth - One of my friends told me to eat ginger candies or anything ginger when I got carsick last weekend. It must be a pregnancy thing because I have never experienced such a thing in my life. Poor kiddos...

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM

mamabeth - I think dd gets carsick too...after about an hour or two into a drive she'll start complaining of her stomach hurting her. This last trip I discovered using saltines and ginger ale (sipping) seemed to help her...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM

JenLove, you are so cute!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Megs
You tri-women always amaze me! I can barely run that fast w/o all that biking and swimming first!

kate~mom - I can't wait to hear this race report - it sounds like it was brutal!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Hey JenLove - how is the de-dreading going?

MB - my carsickness is always better with the window open and fresh air blowing in my face. i know it's hot down there, but maybe try some fresh air. also, i can't look at anything while driving on a road not flat and straight or i get sick. and front seat is always better than rear, though that's not very helpful when dealing with children.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Hey JenLove - how is the de-dreading going?
It's slow. I decided I wanted to start in the back and work my way forward, but it's really hard for me to reach the roots where the dreads are really tight, so I have to wait for DH to help me. I probably have 10/75 out so far.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Jenlove!...very cute belly! It looks better than mine! LOL

MB..Ginger works great with me. If you can find real ginger ale/beer..the only thing is they have sugar in them. Fresh air helps alot but ..where are you going to find that in Atl?

speaking of..I still can't breath and have an appointment to see my totally mainstream dr tomorrow and that's not soon enough.

Megs...WTG!! You did great!

jooj...my mouth is watering thinking of mixed spicy pickles. I love all kinds of pickles and fermented stuff! YUMMY!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM

megs~Those are GREAT times, especially the bike! Holy cow, you smoked the bike! I can't even fathom averaging that high a speed yet...I just can't seem to get much faster.

rr~I dragged my snotty, tired self to the Y for spin class this morning. I really didn't want to, but I needed to turn in my punch card for a free t-shirt, plus they were having a blood drive which I had signed up for after class. I didn't have much energy, but I muddled through and felt better for having gotten out and burned some calories, at least!

DS seems less snotty today, so that's good. I, on the other hand, seem to have more, so I guess we're even...

User Tag List