Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 913 Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gaye, I think my big advantage on the bike is... well, my bike! I have a super-light, very nice road bike that I got for a song off craigslist last year. So I can bust a move down the road. I was totally getting smoked at the end, though! So there were some speedy amateurs there yesterday.

Next year I want to really focus on bike & run. I feel like I can just go do the swim now without much worry.

But blah-de-blah-blah... I am being productive around the house and an old Air Force pal will be here very soon to crash for the night. I'm glad she's the sort of pal who doesn't mind that I pretty much will want to keep being productive around the house -- just while chatting at her! It's nice to have the time now to wander the house and think, "Oh, I've been meaning to do that!" and then DO IT. I spent three days shredding 8 years worth of old documents. Oh WHY does everything have to have one's SSN on it???

Sigh.

Nice bump, Jen! How's the broken-arm-boy, Beth?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 913 Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 PM

MB, I get car sick on wind-y roads. Being hungry makes it much worse. maybe make sure she has eaten recently, or let her snack on something in teh car.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#543 of 913 Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 PM

Re carsickness. While a different mode of transport, I get seasick on boats. When my old company was having a work party on a cruise ship (around Manhattan, not the Carribean!) and I was pregnant, I got a pressure point band. As for the car, I am not so good in the backseat, but as others have mentioned, not so good for the kids.

DH and I just went to see the Dark Knight. Heath
#544 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM

thanks Babybugmama! I will pass it along.

I'm doing the couch to 5k so I'll be running like the wind before I know it!
#545 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM

I have been lurking but not posting because I haven't felt like I've had anything to say. I almost just erased this because that hasn't really changed, but gosh I just don't want to let it get any longer without popping on to say Hi.

Back to Week 1 of C25K for me. I need to pick a goal race for the end of it now that I can.
#546 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 AM

B1~I have had you on my mind sooo much the last few days. I've been wondering how you've been doing.
#547 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM

B1 -

allgirls - Good luck with the C25K. I did it once and it was a great plan!

Vent - I've got a cold. Luckily, I've been able to drink tea again because I've been drinking a couple cups of some fruity herbal stuff every morning in order to blow my nose. So stuffy and tired. Now I'm not sure if the tiredness is from being pregnant or from this cold. Ugh!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#548 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Jenlove, sounds like the pregnancy congestion stuff. try the neti pot, and I'm sure you'll get some sympathy from eksmom too.

Do any of you crafty mamas do Alabama Chanin stuff? I guess that is another forum but you know, nothing's OT in dingo-land. I have been doing a couple t-shirts from her patterns and they are awesome, and recycled too.

I got in 20 minute yoga this morning, and am super-cleaning out. We are having my dh's whole church (not a ton of people, but still) over on Friday so since I am unexpectedly home I'm trying to use it for good. I think tomorrow I might run by myself, but maybe with neighbor.
#549 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Jenlove, sounds like the pregnancy congestion stuff. try the neti pot, and I'm sure you'll get some sympathy from eksmom too.
Yeah, I have had it ever since I got pregnant. The phlegm is what caused my to gag and actually get sick that one time in my first trimester. But now it feels more like a cold.. sometimes mucus is yellow, face feels warm, throat hurts a little.

I have heard the talk of neti pots around here before.. researching now.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#550 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
B1 -

allgirls - Good luck with the C25K. I did it once and it was a great plan!

Vent - I've got a cold. Luckily, I've been able to drink tea again because I've been drinking a couple cups of some fruity herbal stuff every morning in order to blow my nose. So stuffy and tired. Now I'm not sure if the tiredness is from being pregnant or from this cold. Ugh!
A humidifier helped me a lot, too, when I had a cold at about 18 weeks. And the neti pot. And spending a couple of days staying home from work and doing not a whole lot! Take care of yourself.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#551 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Balancin

My cold/yuck definitely seems to be of the sinus variety. Doesn't seem too bad, just feels like my head is stuffed full of cotton. Blech. Much as the idea even makes me cringe, I may look into the whole neti pot thing tomorrow since I have to go to Whole Foods anyway. At least DS is better!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#552 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Balancin mama. please check in when you can, it's nice to hear from you!

Vegancupcake, your days of being stalked are coming soon.....

thanks for the motion sickness advice. I found that hylands has motion sickness tablets! anybody tried them?
#553 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Just popping in quickly....

It's been a quick start to the back to work week. Well, back to the world of teaching week. Blech. Staff meetings, barf.

carsickness: I was the TOTAL carsick girl pre-kids. Now I think I put up with more of it without complaining/noticing because my job is to keep my kids from b**ching. Things that help me: front seat riding, driving is better. Ok that won't work . When I get hot it is worse (i.e. if I'm in the back and its hot and the sun is on me). I normally will drive on the highway and at fast speeds with the windows up/AC on (and in Georgia that would be almost all the time with AC on giving hot darn hot it is there). But cracking the window sometimes help me -- fresh air on my face. Not reading or knitting or anything in the car can help me. When I used to sail regularly with my family on a big boat it would help me to look out at a distance vs. look in closely to read or something. Maybe try books on tape to keep kiddos occupied? It also helps me to have sweet treats -- like lemonheads handy in the car. I'm not sure if it is the sugar or the distraction. I suppose a lollipop would work as well. And when I feel truly sick -- it helps me get out of the car and walk around. Then I'm ready to get back in and go. So we plan to bring along a frisbee or kickball when we're doing back roads. We stop at a park and get out for a while, I eventually feel better from a little physical movement and we can get back in. Now if someone actually lost their lunch in the car it would be all over for me....new car

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#554 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Just popping in quickly....

It's been a quick start to the back to work week. Well, back to the world of teaching week. Blech. Staff meetings, barf.
O, my sister. Amen.

Holy effing crap, the things we talk about in meetings. Wowza. I'm so glad I like my immediate colleagues and have a good bead on next-to-my-office guy, which is that he's lots of aggressive barking but not a lotta bite.

RR: I did a decent four miles today, am planning to get my free/teaching-benny gym membership tomorrow, and am gonna ramp up to prepare for my 10K by doing 5 mile long runs starting this weekend. It's cooler, 4 miles is not kicking my ass, and I'm feeling saucy.

I read recently some calculus for losing weight=losing time, such that if I lost 5 pounds I could expect to do a 5K 30 seconds faster, and while I could basically give a crap about losing 5 pounds, the 30 seconds is enticing.

So which is more work, training such that I could go 30 seconds faster, or disciplining myself enough to lose 5 pounds? Which if it came off the nice storage for winter on my tummy might be worth it for cosmetic reasons?

Instead, I had a great reuben sandwich for lunch...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#555 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 08:45 PM

I noticed when jgmommo lost a bunch of weight that she really sped up! It really made me want to lose weight (but not enough to actually do anything about it ).

So I had a very good hard workout today. 6 miles with speed work. First 1.2 was warming up very slow. Then about 1.5 at an 8:15-8:30 pace. This brought me to the top of devils backbone (very steep long hill ~ 1/2 mile) where I eased down it for a rest. Then turn around and charge up the hill. I don't know what my pace was I was too busy huffing and puffing to check. At one point I seriously felt like I was crawling up this hill it felt so slow. Then easy for about 1/2 mile. Then I picked it back up for a mile...at the beginning it was 9:00 min miles, but by the end I was doing upper 7's. Then a little over a mile cool down at about a 10 mm pace.
#556 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Awww : who tagged me? I it!!!! I do I do I do THANK YOU!!
#557 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Holy effing crap, the things we talk about in meetings. Wowza. I'm so glad I like my immediate colleagues and have a good bead on next-to-my-office guy, which is that he's lots of aggressive barking but not a lotta bite.
The best advice I wish I'd had as a brand new faculty member: Smile, nod, and voice no opinions publicly. If you need an opinion voiced at a meeting, then figure out whose voice will hold weight and voice it to that person ahead of time.

It sucks, but I would have been a lot better off had I known that.

Sore from my bike commute this week. It'll take a while to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully it'll also take off 10 pounds.
#558 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 PM

carsickness ~ DS and I both get carsick. DS has actually thrown up a few times. We have to stick to highways and stay off of winding roads. I must ride in the front and DS has to sit in the middle seat and look out the front window. Let me know if you have any luck with the Hylands tablets.

speed/weightloss ~ from my own experience, I am running much faster now at 110 than I was last summer at 125, but it could be the fact that I'm running more too this year

Speaking of running, I did 6.6 miles this morning in exactly 57 minutes . It didn't feel good, mostly because I'm still coughing, but it's done. Tomorrow night an open water swim to "test drive" the wetsuit I'm borrowing for Sunday and then, two easy days to taper.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#559 of 913 Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
speed/weightloss ~ from my own experience, I am running much faster now at 110 than I was last summer at 125, but it could be the fact that I'm running more too this year
jaygee, have fun on the test drive.

Hey all, since we are talking about weight loss, here's a question I can't find an answer to. At what rate does fat become muscle?
I'm looking for a good rationalization for why I'm not losing weight faster, but definitely have more muscle.
Couldn't possibly be that when I start to lose a little, I reward myself

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#560 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 AM

dh and ds are back. my life should be going back to normal - but instead we'll be trying to figure out if dh has broken his foot.
#561 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM

I got a migraine yesterday my 1st in 2-3 years. But they knock me out. I still feel "funny" today. Mine are often exercise triggered, though when yesterday's started coming on I was just doing a mild Ellipt workout (had been on 20-25 min, HR 120's, so pretty low)

I hate being sick, and now that I'm worried that I might get another. I used to carry around a script, but I haven't filled it since having kids 9 years ago.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#562 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Gigi~ my heart goes out to you, those are b.a.d. I haven't had one in years, but carry meds with me as they are just too bad to mess with. Like you said they take you out for the day, maybe two or more till your "normal" again. Hope you are on the mend fast!

RR: just got back from somewhere around 4+ miles. DS3 turned my garmin on yesterday, unbeknown to me, so my battery was dead.

I'm now in the "100 push up" challenge thread, so I also did 40 push ups (broken up), and 15 min of yoga that felt sooooooo gooooood. Need to do that more often.

Must icing ds3's cake (his bday is Friday and party Saturday) and play with him. He's patiently waiting on me and was a good running partner in the jogger.
#563 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Lisa, what do you take? I used to carry Imitrex. It helped when I took it at teh onset (I get a distinct and definite aura at the beginning of a migraine).. but my imitrex was a liquid/squirt/spray that went up my nose, and taking it was awful. I know that I don;t ever want to put that in my nose again. PLus now, I'm crunchier than I was 10 years ago and I really don't like taking meds is I can avoid, KWIM?

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#564 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM

I have imitrex tablet, I can't remember if it's disolvable or not? I have never tried it, and hope i don't have too. I too get the visual disturbance before the onset. One time I think it was hormone related, the other I think was dehydration/stress. I try not to take meds, but have recently had to add three prescription meds (for life), and I take fish oil (for cholesterol but it's helped with PMS anger) and a multi vitamin. So, I've resigned to being "ok" if I do need it. *shrug* whaddayagonnado, right? Hope you find a solution that you are happy with.
#565 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 12:37 PM

I also get migraines. I get the aura, weird brain feeling beforehand as well. If one hits I have found an ice pack on my head, dark, and quiet can help me cope until some sort of painkiller kicks in. But then I don't have the pain, but still have that weird sensation.
#566 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM

yeah, "a headache" is not one of my complaints when I get a migraine. I *think* my head hurts, but the rest of my body is so off.... vomiting, eyes so sensitive, ears so sensitive to noise, being dizzy, being tired, feeling so "off" .. that the headache seems mild in comparison.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#567 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
yeah, "a headache" is not one of my complaints when I get a migraine. I *think* my head hurts, but the rest of my body is so off.... vomiting, eyes so sensitive, ears so sensitive to noise, being dizzy, being tired, feeling so "off" .. that the headache seems mild in comparison.
ick. ick ick. You didn't actually mention how it hurts to be in the light: like a 60 watt lightbulb hurts. For me, migranes are triggered by lack of sleep (which is usually a sign of stress). Water, food, 2 advil, + dark room for sleep usually do the trick. Interesting discussion because I just had one for the first time in years last week.

mandy: what happened to dh's foot?

#568 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Oh, I get them too. I use the Target brand OTC migraine relief and it works OK if I take it early enough (and don't throw it up ). I used to have a prescription but I can't remember what it was. I also had a scrip for an anti-emitic (sp?), but thankfully I don't need them that often. I usually just have to sleep it off, yk?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#569 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM

so the most annoying thing about today? my lunch (spicy kale & potato soup) leaked in my messenger bag on the way to work. soaking my running clothes and wetting through some work papers. it's always my biggest fear that the tupperware will fail - and today it did.

not that i'm going running anyway. have to work the shop while dh gets his foot looked at. he doesn't know what he did to it. but while mtn biking in VA on Monday morning he crashed really hard into a tree. it didn't hurt then, but started to hurt when he woke up the next day. seems to be very painful, he's not generally one for limping around.

i had a migraine once. just once. and it was awful. I really feel for those who experience them regularly. mine was triggered after dehydration (drinking the night before) and then I went to swim laps thinking it might make me feel better. no. that was not the right cure. i came home from the pool and retreated to the bed until the next morning.

question for you ladies. today is CD 13 and i'm spotting. been spotting since CD 8 or 9. what's going on? I never spot. Is this more stress stuff?
#570 of 913 Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
question for you ladies. today is CD 13 and i'm spotting. been spotting since CD 8 or 9. what's going on? I never spot. Is this more stress stuff?
Could you be pg? I never spot but with both pregnancies more or less had spotting from week 3 to week 13. Talk about stressful . Hope dh's foot heals quickly. Would you mind posting the soup recipe? Sounds delightful when it isn't all over your briefcase.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page