Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#631 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
English teacher--12th grade, British Lit. It's at a totally awesome private school for kids with learning disabilities. They practice an arts-based approach to education and it's an incredibly creatively-nurturing and inspiring environment, for students and staff. It's basically my dream job so it definitely softens having to return after staying at home for three years.
That sounds awesome! I loved my British lit teacher in high school. I can still recite much of the Canterbury Tales and random sonnets. (I do remember being puzzled about all the poems about spring until I moved someplace with seasons. All of a sudden it all clicked.) I hope your year goes well!

Kinda sucky day on many fronts. Take out then a swim at the pool tonight.
#632 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
towsonmama...that sounds like a wonderful job!

Geo...we thought about moving across the river last time we moved, but considered family things. Now, I don't know if it was the best thing or not. We are a very tight family..including extended cousins etc..but sometimes you just have to do other things.

It's a nice evening for an outside run!:
#633 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM

p'seed~

Cate~ The most important thing is to start slowly and listen to your body. I would also make sure that you have really good running shoes. If your shoes are older or if you've never been fit by someone who knows what they're doing, that would definitely be my first stop before starting back up. A good shoe will help your foot absorb the shock of hitting the ground much better, which will help with stress reactions. Make sure you ice after your workouts, too!

I finally succumbed...I am now on Facebook. I know a bunch of you are on there, will you be my friends?

rr~Nice leisurely 15 mile bike ride with friends this morning followed by some playground time for the kiddos. My quad is really sore, which is odd considering how freaking slow I ran at track yesterday. Hoping to get a 4-ish mile run in tomorrow morning.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#634 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Gaye-I can't find you! I'll be your friend. :

Could y'all keep my brother and his family in your thoughts again? They ended up having to put their foster dd in a state mental hospital b/c she attacked their 10 year old son. They desperately need every good vibe you can send them right now. They are just barely keeping their heads above water and I'm worried about the whole family.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#635 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
I am still trying to process everything and help K as well
I am so sorry pumpkinseed. We're working on the same thing over here. DD is still trying to figure it all out but she seems to be coping OK. She wanted to be included in everything too and I'm so glad she was. A couple people recommended letting her lead into as much as she could handle and I was very grateful for that advice, because she didn't have to feel excluded and wasn't. Take care of yourself, mama.

HBM, so sorry for your brother, what a heartwrenching situation.

It's only 7:15 and I am contemplating going to bed, DD crashed early. I guess there's no reason not to...
#636 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM

HBM, prayers for your bro's family. so sad

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#637 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Paige, I *think* I found you...sent you a request. If not, some other Paige is going to be really confused. I found all the dingoes I could...if I didn't send you a request, it's not cuz I don't like you, I just didn't know for sure who you were! :

And lots of good thoughts for your brother and his family.

I just spent an hour pulling 6 pounds of pork by hand. Yum, but holy crap are my hands tired! Mmm...pulled pork for the next week (sorry, veggie dingoes, but !

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#638 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Much strength to your brother and family, Paige.

We had a lovely time at the pool tonight. It almost makes me sad that summer is ending. My bod is sooooo tired from going back to full time bike commuting, though. Also, I'm doing 100% of the Elliot-daycare transport, which adds 4 miles a day (while hauling an additional 30 pounds for 6 miles a day...) He *loves* it though, which makes it worth it.

They changed the route of the Columbus marathon! We've gone over the Janessa's front yard to watch before, but this year it will go past the end of our street. The route will largely circle us, so I imagine we'll have to watch it, because we won't be able to go anywhere anyways. A woman from my due date last from when I was pregnant with Karen will be running it so we'll definitely cheer her on.
#639 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM

HBM - I'm thinking about your family. What a tough situation!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#640 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 PM

well, i didn't run because i got to ride bikes tonight. but it ended up not being a great ride. A french canadian showed up at the shop right before close and threw down for a high-end frame, fork, tires, etc - it was taking some time so the main group left without us. then it turned out that cycling shoes hurt dh's gout much worse than he thought. so we just went out for a short time. poor guy, he's in a lot of pain.
#641 of 913 Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all of the good thoughts. You guys are the best. I did a "don't think, just run" run tonight. It was breezy out and I needed it. I did 4 and it felt great. I even passed 3 people (so what if they were walking, I was still faster ). TMI alert-Have y'all ever had a booger run? So freaking annoying. It drove me crazy the entire time and wouldn't budge when I tried to blow it out. : I need to remember to stick a tissue in my pocket from now on, I guess.

Gaye-You found me!!!

Geo-that is some heavy duty child transport!

B1-Thinking of you.

#642 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 AM

Cate: my answer is very, very slowly. I fractured a femur from over training. Start with one mile, 3 times a week and build by 10% per run for 3 weeks , then back to the 1 mile per run for week 4. Week 5 start at the week three mileage and spend 3 weeks adding 10 % per run.

It is an absolute pain to be so disciplined, but the schedule has to do with the bone stress and normal regeneration cycle. It will be worth it when you are finally back to your mileage and injury free. Be sure your calcium is adequate or a bit excessive and spend time outside or take a Vit D supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
MotherCat said, "At what rate does fat become muscle?"

Heh heh. You know me too well.

Short answer: at NO rate. Fat is fat, and muscle is muscle, and one does not convert into the other. The muscle cells we have are the only muscle cells we will ever have. Strength & aerobic training *change* these cells, but essentially we always have the same number of cells unless we are, like, starving to death. NOW, to get rid of one pound of fat you have to have a calorie deficit of 3500. So keep track of your food and your activity for a week. You also need to find an estimate of your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR), but if you Google that you'll find some easy calculators. Make a little log: calories in = food you eat, calories out = BMR + estimate from your exercise that day. If you average a 500 calorie/day deficit, you will lose one pound of fat per week.

The plus side of the exercise portion of this is, the more we aerobically train our muscles, the better they get at burning fats... so everything becomes cumulative!
Megs_BK,
thanks for the patient response. My question should have been more specific. I took A&P and should have realized that my question would bring that explanation.

Here's what I meant to ask:

As we develop muscles through exercise, how much more do they weigh as compared to how much white fat weighs? Not that fat becomes muscle, but as we lose fat and develop more toned and stronger muscles, is there a weigh to figure out what the weight difference is between those two processes?

Here's my problem: I know that my legs and arms are more muscular from the tri training and strength training. And I have lost some inches in various places, but I can't seem to lose weight very quickly. just looking for some reassurance that there may be a weight loss benefit added to all the cardiovascular benefits I'm getting from the training.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#643 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM

HBM ~ I'm thinking of your family too. Sounds like a really tough situation .

grnmtnmama ~ your poor DH, that sounds just painful. Any idea how long gout takes to heal?

I rode 18 miles last night more to get out of the house and as far away from the two fussiest girls ever . By the time I got home, DH had them both in bed . What a guy! Today I'll do a short run and tomorrow is travel day, GULP! DH is taking DD1 and DS out for dinner and mini-golf tonight so I hope to put DD2 to bed early and spend the rest of the evening assembling my gear for the race. Oh dear, I'm SO NERVOUS already.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#644 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post

Megs_BK,
thanks for the patient response. My question should have been more specific. I took A&P and should have realized that my question would bring that explanation.

Here's what I meant to ask:

As we develop muscles through exercise, how much more do they weigh as compared to how much white fat weighs? Not that fat becomes muscle, but as we lose fat and develop more toned and stronger muscles, is there a weigh to figure out what the weight difference is between those two processes?

Here's my problem: I know that my legs and arms are more muscular from the tri training and strength training. And I have lost some inches in various places, but I can't seem to lose weight very quickly. just looking for some reassurance that there may be a weight loss benefit added to all the cardiovascular benefits I'm getting from the training.

mothercat
Physicist answering here: How much more does muscle weigh than fat?. The answer is that a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat.

However, the muscle, as you know, is denser (leaner). If you're losing inches, then you are certainly losing *something.* Assuming it's lost through a lot of exercise, you can safely assume that there is now muscle there where fat used to be. Ditch the freakin' scale.
#645 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM

I hate my scale. How on earth could I have gained 6 lbs in 2 days??? d@mn migraine......

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#646 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Thank-you for all of the kind welcomes and words of advice. Most of it corresponds very closely to what my doctor suggested, so I think I'm on the right track. I've reached a point now where my legs don't hurt anymore, and if I didn't have the doctors lecturing me to lay off, I'd probably have started running again. I really don't want to end up back at square one again, in so much pain that I can't walk though... so I think I'd better listen to them.

I was thinking about taking a learn to run class once I heal to try to force myself to take things slowly... I think the run one minute, walk two, the first week might just drive me out of my mind. Maybe I'll try the 5km class, which starts at run 5 walk 1...I'd have to give up my knit night to do that, which I'm not trilled about.

I'm really worried that I'll end up pushing myself too hard, I'm horribly competitive, especially with myself... that may be how I ended up in this mess in the first place... I have a lot of trouble accepting the idea that I have limitations.

hehe... I'm going to have to learn to speak in miles around here. I'm so used to km, it's going to take some adjusting. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.
#647 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM

welcome cate! my dh ended up with a stress fracture just over two years ago from beginning training too fast and too hard. he subsequently did the couch to 5K plan successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
So glad everyone found the frank and beans comment to be so funny :. That's exactly what it looks like, LOL
so my lab's name is bean - and i really want to get another dog or cat (or guinea pig) and name it frank. just because.
#648 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
They desperately need every good vibe you can send them right now. They are just barely keeping their heads above water and I'm worried about the whole family.
: : That poor family!
Quote:
is there a weigh to figure out what the weight difference is between those two processes?
That's my favorite misspelling of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Physicist answering here: How much more does muscle weigh than fat?. The answer is that a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat. Ditch the freakin' scale.
You beat me to it, I was going to say that! Yeah, ditch the scale. Use clothes that you are aiming for (preferably ones that you have worn comfortably at some point in real life, and not your prom dress!

So I took both girls in the Burley to the library yesterday. About a mile in though I could hear Alison crying and getting really hysterical so as soon as there was good visibility I stopped to see what was up and her bike helmet was choking her. Big time choking her. It had gotten kind of jacked forward on the back of the seat and so it was pushing the strap harder under her chin. Talk about adrenaline rush. So I took it off her for the rest of the trip. I'll have to try to adjust it so the front straps are much shorter I guess? I don't know but she was so scared and her poor little neck was so red for about an hour afterward. And it was a reminder that C is still just a little kid who isn't ready to take any kind of real responsibility for safety. She often asks if she can watch Alison and it's tempting because in many ways she seems so grown up, but she had clearly not had a clue that her sister was in any real trouble. So, lesson learned. I don't know how I'll get Alison to wear the helmet again any time soon though - I'm bummed that she doesn't seem to like the Burley that much, even for strollering.

Oh well. Today we're getting ready for our little camping trip this weekend, a highlight of which will be meeting up with Megs and CherylAnn I'm so excited! So now I'm going to take advantage of this bonus quiet time to get some stuff wrangled.

Good luck weekend triathletes!!! Go JayGee!!! Go Megs!!!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#649 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Physicist answering here: How much more does muscle weigh than fat?. The answer is that a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cate View Post
hehe... I'm going to have to learn to speak in miles around here. I'm so used to km, it's going to take some adjusting.
As long as you stick to multiples of 5 km, I can figure it out! Oh yeah, and I know 42k, too!

rr~4 slowish miles with DS and the dog. Even though it's about 10 degrees cooler than it was a couple of weeks ago, it was still HOT. Things probably were not helped by the fact that I was up till 2 am watching the men's volleyball team advance to the gold medal game last night (WOO! GO USA!). :yawning:

Need to get a shower in so we can head out for some errands. I think I've talked myself into going back to the running store and checking out the tri shorts that are on supersale. Not that we can afford anything else right now, but at those prices, you almost can't afford NOT to, at least that's my logic! Also need to go to Costco to pick up a portable dvd player for DS for our giant road trip(s) coming up...any dingoes in Rapid City, SD?

ETA:

:
GO JAYGEE GO!!!!
:
GO MEGS GO!!!!

:

I know you're both going to rock those olys!!!

#650 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
However, the muscle, as you know, is denser (leaner). If you're losing inches, then you are certainly losing *something.* Assuming it's lost through a lot of exercise, you can safely assume that there is now muscle there where fat used to be. Ditch the freakin' scale.
But I can't ditch the scale! It's an outlet for my obsessive side.

The really ironic thing is that I don't weigh the pregnant clients in my practice. I want them to focus on good nutrition rather than the weight gain.

rr: I should just quit saying I'm going out for a quick country block ride. That was the plan this morning and I ended up doing 18 miles. I'm getting a better idea of where the decent, but not necessarily flat roads are. My times should improve if I can manage to put together enough no-stop, decent road routes.

Pool reopens on Tues. Can't wait. Told DH that this morning and he responds that I just never seemed like a swim sort of person to him.
Dear dingoes, what have you done to me? I am now tri addicted.

#651 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

[quote=Plady;12009151]
That's my favorite misspelling of the day!

Yeah, the weigh/way thing. Can you tell that I was tired last night? I've always loved homonyms, used to be a spelling bee champ, but Freudian slips. Darn!

mothercat

#652 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
But I can't ditch the scale! It's an outlet for my obsessive side.
I feed my obsessive side with my resting heart rate. I count my heart rate as I'm waking up in the morning. For me, it's a solid measure of my fitness level.

Cate, runners are a small segment of the population in the US that *can* understand km. Don't bother learning arcane miles.

Ummm, dingos, did ya'll see Cate's blog? Lots of drool-worthy knitting...

OK, my two undergrads sprung an abstract deadline on me for 5 pm today. : We're on round two so far...
#653 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM

mothercat When I busted my dd getting on the scale before she got in the shower (guess who she's modeling ) I realized something had to change. When the scale broke I didn't replace it. Typically I have absolutely no idea what I weigh. That said I did weigh myself when I started the adderall at a friends house (it was conveniet, it was there...it wasn't a planned thing), and again yesterday after taking it for a week. I wanted to see if I was losing weight with the meds. Unfortunately yes, 3 pounds in a week. Which is a lot especially given that I was working to eat (I can afford to lose weight, dont' get me wrong, I just don't want to lose it this way). But I also think the appetite suppresent part of it is wearing off, I find myself hungry much more often, whereas when I first started I was not only not hungry, but almost repulsed by food.

anyway.... I just had the most awful morning in the longest time. I went grocery shopping with dd and ds. Between the two of them, I actually cried the whole way home from frustration. Dd kept nagging every three minutes for a treat, which I told her if she kept nagging would not happen...when it didn't...well you can imagine what happened. And she was just generally being very rude with words and facial expressions. At one point, and I'm not sure if this was accident or purpose, but she hit me with her little cart right on the back of my ankle that's hurting already. Ds? Well if I held him he kept biting me (hard enough that I looks like I have hickeys all over my shoulder and neck) and when I put him in the cart he threw a jar of barbeque sauce out shattering it. I know what's going on with dd, school is starting and she's got so many feelings and is having a hard time coping. It started three days ago and it's only today that I'm starting to break in my ability to cope. Ds on the other hand? I have no idea how to get him to stop biting. I have tried every gentle strategy I know.
#654 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM

BBM-what a cruddy shopping trip.

Tjsmama-Sending good sale mojo :

Mothercat (and Cathtoria)-I'm with Geo-ditch the scale. Jeans are an excellent indicator of how you're doing.

Plady-How scary about Ali's helmet! I totally get you on realizing the older ones just aren't quite ready to be responsible for the little ones.

Cate-Km's are fine! Glad you're here.

We had an exiciting Zumba class today. CNN came and filmed the entire class! They are doing a 1 min 15 sec segment on the "new exercise craze". It was pretty fun. We don't know when it will air, just sometime in September.

#655 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Kathleen, I'm sorry you had such a craptastic morning.

Starting K was very, very hard on everyone. DD was exhausted and the change in routine affected us all, DS included. It took three weeks to finish the adjustment. A lot of other people have said the same thing -- three weeks to adjust to kindergarten. First grade has been a snap in comparison.
#656 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM

RR: I had one of my longest gym workouts ever today. 2 hours, but I kept my HR up for a large % of it. My HRM says I burned 861 calories (I usually aim for 300-700 per day). And I did a little running on teh TM too in there.

I'm also tracking my food today, trying to get the scale to drop tomorrow since I'm up 6. I did pee a ton this am, so hopefully that was 1-2 lbs right there

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#657 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Here's the scary part Wendy - she doesn't actually truly start until sep 2. Next wednesday she just goes in for 15 minutes to pick her cubby and coat hook. Then friday she'll just go for the morning. It does help to know what's behind it. She is such a sensitive little girl and so powerful in her feelings. But with ds doing his thing, I'm just having a hard time coping. He bites me whenever, he bites dd only if he's mad at her, he doesn't bite dh...I don't know why - it might just be that generally he's with me if he's anything less than happy, KWIM?
#658 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Pumpkinseed, I'm just reading now about your dad and I am so very sorry...I lost my dad when he was 51 suddenly as well and it was just awful. I will keep your family in my prayers and please let us know how you are doing.

Paige, I am so sorry that things are that bad. Will say a prayer for them too.

dd's school is FINALLY starting on Monday and they aren't having phase-in this year! they're just going for half days for the week and then all day after labor day. woo hoo! It was torture to her to go just for an hour or two and then no more, so I'm thrilled.

In a week or so I'm going to have an article published in an online magazine so I will send the link. it's a "Faith Reflection" on heart health, which was really interesting to write. Plus I got paid for it, which I think makes my first official freelance job.

rr: 4.6 this morning with my neighbor. 9:05 pace, whew. I'm trying to get where 10:30 or so feels really easy, and then maybe I can cut, oh, an hour and a half off my marathon time. :

ETA: Gigi, do I see you've lost 30 lbs????????
#659 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
ETA: Gigi, do I see you've lost 30 lbs????????

I had 3 days ago. The scale (s) today said 24 :::

soon though, soon. Thanks for noticing!!!:

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#660 of 913 Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM

BBM ~ sorry your morning was so difficult. I wonder if it's the time of year. My two have been beyond difficult for the last week or so. Sigh....

Gigi ~ congrats on the weight loss. The 6 lbs are temporary I'm sure .

MB ~ looking forward to reading that article .

Okay, I'm seriously anxious about this race. Actually, not the race but everything surrounding it. I don't want to drive 4 hours to Chicago by myself. I don't want to go to the expo by myself. I don't want to spend a night in a hotel by myself. I don't want to wait 2-4 hours alone for my wave to start.... But, my family can't come and I don't know anyone else doing the race, so that's the way it is. And it's all that "aloneness" that's causing my anxiety . Race-wise, I'm as well prepared as I can be. I won't do the 2:45 I had planned on before getting sick, but I'm hoping for <3:00. I'm pretty sure I can pull that out, pending major incident. We'll see though.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page