Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JayGee, for some reason I thought you were doing the Danskin Tri on the North Shore, but maybe you are doing the Accenture Tri here in Chicago, cause I see the dates are right? Can we help out maybe? Where are you staying? PM me if you want...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

JayGee, GL !!!

Once I "did" an overnight w/ a race by myslef. It was for teh Peachtree, the month before I got pg with #1. I had tons of free hotel points from work travel, so i stayed in a suite at the Hotel Nikko, Hyatt now. I ate diner with Allen, then drove to teh hotel. The expo was downstairs, so I went to that. I had an extra race #, so I sold that there. Then I went upstairs, ate teh snack I brought in a cooler, and vegged in front of teh TV with magazines until I got sleepy. Woke up, showered, ate a granola bar, and was at teh start line within 30 minutes. I turned on teh TV in my hotel room and thought it was cool to see teh hotel that I was in on TV at the exact same time. Took MArta back to my room after the race, showered and drove home.

It was like a mini retreat for me, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
JayGee, for some reason I thought you were doing the Danskin Tri on the North Shore, but maybe you are doing the Accenture Tri here in Chicago, cause I see the dates are right? Can we help out maybe? Where are you staying? PM me if you want...
I'm doing Accenture, right in downtown Chicago. I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn at Midway Airport though. I wish I was staying closer, but we're using DH's Marriott Rewards points and there were no rewards rooms available on Lake Shore Drive. How's the water in Lake Michigan?

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
How's the water in Lake Michigan?
"refreshing". Though we go wading in a place with current coming off the deep, it may be warmer where it is a little more sheltered. I'm off to check the tri site and see if I can give you more info.

I'm going to PM you with my phone numbers. We would love to help out some. Maybe we could meet up with you for the expo or something. Back in a sec...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM

OK, I see you are swimming in the yacht basin, that's pretty protected and shouldn't be too cold. Much like the bay where we often went swimming in regular suits in summers past before there was this giant conflict over open water swimming near my house.

According to the weather forecast, there may be some gusty winds from the NW on Sunday. This will be in your face on the bike going north and at your back coming south. And provide a nice breeze to keep you cool on your run.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM

JayGee - I'll be with you in spirit. I've done a lot of events solo cause my family isn't big on watching/cheering. You will have a great race. Think about it - you only have to look after yourself, your food needs, your bathroom needs. You only have to move yourself around. Tons of people will cheer for you and help you out. When you're solo you have the opportunity to converse with people you might not normally be able to talk to. You're going to do great.

You too Meg - Have a great race!

Well, today's run got interrupted by some phone calls/meetings and i have to leave shortly to pick up the boy from the babysitter. i will do some cardio - just not sure what i'll be able to fit in.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Anyone seen yoga toes?

54 push ups today, supposed to run but having some GI issues.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Cate, runners are a small segment of the population in the US that *can* understand km. Don't bother learning arcane miles.

Ummm, dingos, did ya'll see Cate's blog? Lots of drool-worthy knitting...
<smile> It's good to know that I'll be understood... but if I'm going to understand everyone else, I'm going to have to learn at least a little bit about miles . I'll figure it out, a few times of converting it, and I'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

Thanks. Though I just took a look and realized it's been ages since I've posted anything... gotta do something about that.

Wow, this thread moves quick! It's going to take me a little while to keep everyone straight. I hope you'll all be patient with me while I get you all sorted out in my head.

Good luck to everyone who's racing this weekend.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
BBM ~ sorry your morning was so difficult. I wonder if it's the time of year. My two have been beyond difficult for the last week or so. Sigh....

Gigi ~ congrats on the weight loss. The 6 lbs are temporary I'm sure .

MB ~ looking forward to reading that article .

Okay, I'm seriously anxious about this race. Actually, not the race but everything surrounding it. I don't want to drive 4 hours to Chicago by myself. I don't want to go to the expo by myself. I don't want to spend a night in a hotel by myself. I don't want to wait 2-4 hours alone for my wave to start.... But, my family can't come and I don't know anyone else doing the race, so that's the way it is. And it's all that "aloneness" that's causing my anxiety . Race-wise, I'm as well prepared as I can be. I won't do the 2:45 I had planned on before getting sick, but I'm hoping for <3:00. I'm pretty sure I can pull that out, pending major incident. We'll see though.
Aw, I wish we were still in the Chicago area. I'd come cheer you on!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM

jaygee~You might be alone physically but rest assured that we're right next to you mentally/emotionally, cheering you on you the ENTIRE way!!!! Good luck! I know you're going to rock that race.

Completely, totally, 110% off topic: Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror 2 DVD? (I told you it was off topic!) I'm thinking about starting my Brit Lit year with The Monkey's Paw and I remember the Simpsons spoofed it in that episode. I did a cursory search online but that's certainly not my strength. TIA!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 PM

I didn't forget ya, Megs! ROCK THAT OLY!!! :

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Anyone seen yoga toes?

54 push ups today, supposed to run but having some GI issues.
I've seen them advertised... OMG they are expensive. Would the things that you use for polishing toenails have teh same effect???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 PM

towsonmama ~ I just clicked on your blog and damn, you are so freaking funny ! Reading about your iPod playlist had me spitting my water onto the keyboard. Love it!!!!!

Go Megs!!!!! We can do it!!!!!

I'm feeling a little better. Bags are packed. Directions are printed out. DH said I can take the van instead of his beater truck . And the thought of a whole hotel room, all to myself, is quite nice I must admit. If only I didn't have to get up at 3:00am!!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any nightmare help for 6 year olds? I have a serious suspicion that this one is brought on by anxiety. DD says she dreams she's falling off the moon. I sat with her and made a dream catcher while she fell asleep (actually, I made a god's eye, cuz that's what I know how to make) and I told her it trapped the bad dreams before getting to her. Ever the skeptic, she can't see how it works and therefore it's just make believe and therefore it won't work. I tried the approach we use to explain religion ("you can choose to believe it").

DD still fell asleep crying, scared to fall asleep.

Mommy wants to fix it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 PM

Can you put something in the dream catcher to show it worked? Dust bunnies, dryer lint or something? Of course you might end up having to explain that you can't always see what it catches (unless you want to stick dust bunnies in it every night).

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LOL. I believe we'd have an endless supply of dust bunnies.

She's enough of a realist that I think her first reaction would be that I did it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM

I have extra dust bunnies if you want.

Good luck, racers! Woo-hoo!

We're going to finish up painting upstairs and get ready for carpet coming Monday. Worked on the garden tonight. Still no word at work about my proposal, but I am hopeful. Could go either way. If it goes the wrong way, I'll request a reduction to PT.

I want to try a couple miles tomorrow AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 PM

nak

would it help to give the explanation of why we dream and where our brains get the material? kind of help her deconstruct it?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Geo - ugh, nightmares. One of my biggest fears is that my kids will have nightmares like I did. I'm not sure if this will work for a child as young as K., but I taught myself to direct my dreams, and that's what finally stopped them. Before I fell asleep I'd concentrate on telling myself that they were only dreams, they weren't real, and that I could walk away or put something safe in them. I eventually learned to stop the bad dreams midway through. I think my dreams definitely had an anxiety component to them, especially in junior high when they became repetitive. My oldest ds had a few nightmares as a younger child, and it seemed to always help him to let him sleep with lights on, and to promise him that he could always come to me in the night if he wanted me or yell for me and I'd come to him - always, no matter what.

You guys, there is some seriously crazy stuff going on in my hospital that is making me crazy, especially in the last week. I think a boiling point is being reached and hopefully there will be some resolution soon, but still, yuck.
I'm coping fairly well this week - but it's because I've allowed myself to check out of reality. I found a series of books that are better than junkfood - a little more swearing than I usually like, a little more gratuitous sex, but so entertaining and I have checked out and read 8 books in 7 days, I kid you not. And you know what, it's really helped! There are 2 books left that I have my name on the waiting list for at the library.

Megs - Good luck on your race!!

Jaygee - I wish we weren't so busy this weekend and could come watch you race! Balancin1 makes an amazing race companion - I hope you'll get the chance to meet up!

I run 18 tomorrow. I'm driving the hour to meet up with the Team in Training group, taking my friend with me, so we have to leave before 5 am to be ready to go at 6 am. Then, some quick shopping, then home to Justin's baseball game. Chris will be home Sunday for a birthday party. In the last week, one of my kids started highschool, then today Caroline started kindie and Justin started junior high, and on Sunday my oldest will be 20 years old. Way too much transition for me all at once.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 PM

drjen~No such thing as too much gratuitous sex here!! Do tell what the series of books is!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 AM

What is up with my serial posting??

geo~After looking online, the best tricks I could find were to practice some relaxation techniques before bed. Yoga, meditation, that sort of thing. As I type this I'm remembering that dd1's preschool teacher used to have her daughter fall asleep listening to guided meditation tapes because of her sleep issues. I can't remember the specific name of the guy who did the tapes she liked but I do remember it was a guy and they aren't available on cd. I'll let you know if it comes to me.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 AM

they are just silly books - Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels - starting with One for the Money. They are really quick reads, sort of formulaic, and totally relaxing - plus I'm in love with one of the recurring male characters.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Thank you, Dingoes! You guys are great. The one hard thing is that he is being buried in a few months. So that is kind of going to drag the grieving process out-I don't think our family will be able to start to try to heal until then. We got the date earlier in the week, so at least we have the date now.

HBM

Balancin1- it is so hard to try to heal when you are trying to help your little one at the same time-although-I guess it helps as well. Trying to explain things to K have really helped me. One of the sweetest things she did-at the mass I got up and spoke about my Dad-I was very emotional (not sure what I was thinking that I could get through it without crying!) -when I came back to sit down in the pew-she picked up her blanket and wiped away my tears. It made me cry even more-I love her so much and she has really been trying to comfort me and my mom during all of this.

Geo-K gets nightmares-has since she was very small. Right now-we tell her that she is in control of her dreams-so that all she has to say is "go away" and they will- she will usually call for dh if she needs help to tell them to leave. I can only imagine its going to get worse as she gets older-wish I knew how to help a 6 yr old!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 AM

drjen~I'll certainly check them out. I need some good brain candy.

Okay, seriously, this is my last post tonight. Dh is at the ballgame so I'm using the opportunity to research Brit Lit for work. Yeah, you can see how well that's going!

jaygee~Thanks for the blog love! I kind of think of the blog as "If a tree falls in the forest..." kind of thing. I write it for my own training record but then I find myself wondering if there aren't any comments is anyone (besides my father) actually reading it. It's embarrassingly nice to have positive feedback.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 AM

oh yea-meant to add:

RM-my mom has the yoga toes! My dad used to laugh at her. I don't think they helped too much with actually "straightening out her feet"-but I think they felt pretty good.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
drjen~I'll certainly check them out. I need some good brain candy.
Just to warn you, it's possible that they aren't all that good - my brain was in serious need of a diversion and I like books that tend to follow a formula and are comforting and a little predictable.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Geofizz - My DH had repetitive nightmares at around that age. He taught himself lucid dreaming, which helped a lot. I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but basically he would realize that it was a dream, and then take control of it, and change it so that it was no longer a nightmare. My DD is 6 now, a couple years ago she started having frequent nightmares. He explained the concept to her, and she seemed to get it. I think she still uses it, because now and again, she'll talk about taking control of a dream. It's pretty cool... wish I could do it.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Pumpkin seed, when my dad died, he wanted to be cremated and wanted his ashes spread in the pond of our family camp (the camp that I took my family to this summer across the lake from New Orleans). I think it was about 3 months after he died by the time we got the ashes back, and picked a date for my dad's mom, sisters, and me, mom and my brothers to all be there. I thought that it would be as heartwrenching and tear filled as his funeral mass and visitation were. But it wasn't. I think the time "healed" the rawness of the loss, and it actually felt really nice, kind of like closure in a way. We all took turns putting the ashes into the water (which are not like fireplace ashes, LOL). Anyway, it was actually a pretty "pleasant" experience, I think more pleasant than had it been right after death. HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Go Jaygee and Megan!!!!!

Doctorjen-good luck with 18. I hope you find peace with all of the transitions.

I'm heading out for a Dingo run!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Kindergarten --- So you're telling me the drama will end? Because in one week we've had massive and I do mean massive tears from an almost 6 year old over daycare for a day. Making day 2 of daycare worse for her younger sister. We had a playdate today with a good friend from preschool we've been trying to get together with all summer (mom and I aren't friends) and Erin plays 2 hrs with her really nicely then our neighbor comes out and Erin didn't want to play with K any more, just wanted to play with neighbor. Thank goodness mom came 30 mins later and I explained what happened. THEN Erin tells (another) friend she HATES her, at friends' house, right in front of mom and I . Nice. We are in the midst of serious transition and frankly between child #2 needing me NONSTOP and child #1 being an absolute crank, I'm about to loose it. Urgh. I need a vacation. Oh and about 2 weeks with no family to finish my dissertation and start teaching. Thanks for listening to my rant and if you're still reading, I'm 98% sure I've settled on a date for my dissertation defense.

Pumpkinseed
I didn't get a chance to chime in before, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

Geo: one thing that helped me as a child was to think about what I was worried about dreaming about before I slept. It really helped me at 5-6 (maybe it was kindergarten, I dunno I'm just going by my memories of my room). I would get in bed, I would actively imagine with my mom -- she'd say something like, "Pretend all of your dreams are sheep. You go out to the field with Banjo (neighbor's dog) and herd them all up. Banjo is running around all the bad dreams and you save one good dream." It also helps me a lot as an adult to write down (maybe draw?) what I'm afraid of and burn it in the fireplace.

drjen: I hope things are going better for you now.

balancin': nice to see you. I hope you're doing ok.

ok that's it for computer time. ta ta.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

User Tag List