Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#691 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
drjen~No such thing as too much gratuitous sex here!! Do tell what the series of books is!
Um, that's what I was thinking, thanks for saying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
oh yea-meant to add:

RM-my mom has the yoga toes! My dad used to laugh at her. I don't think they helped too much with actually "straightening out her feet"-but I think they felt pretty good.
I'm sure I'd get laughed at too from dh! Thanks for the input on whether they work or not. on your situation.

Kerc~

DrJ~thanks for the book recs, and for work. You rock at your 18 miles because YOU rock!!

ek~ HI!

GO JAYGEE AND MEGAN!!!

Jaygee~if you ever run into travelling alone time again, email me!!! I'd love to come along for the ride and cheer you on! If ds's party wasn't today, I would have mentioned it earlier. Want to set up a running date?

RR: I slept through the church running group. I had GI issues yesterday, and two nights of not sleeping well (ds3 coming into our bed with kicky feet and grindy teeth), plus ds's party today. I think I'll try to go for a short run around the neighborhood to test out the "pipes" so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#692 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I'm 98% sure I've settled on a date for my dissertation defense.[B]
Holy great news, Batman! :

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#693 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 AM

A little over 6 miles done with Mamabeth. My legs are killing me. This was my 6th day straight of working out and I need a rest day. Gotta go ice/decorate a cake for my mom's bday.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#694 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 AM

First, : I feel like I am getting into the swing of posting again and I can feel its positive effect on me already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
She's enough of a realist that I think her first reaction would be that I did it.
OK, so how about: "you cannot see your thoughts, but you know they are there. This object is there to help you focus on how you can stop the bad thoughts from intruding on your restful sleep. Use this object to imagine that the bad dreams can't get to your head."

I see my future every time you and Karen tackle some issue. And then later when we deal with it, I think, boy, my advice sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
You guys, there is some seriously crazy stuff going on in my hospital that is making me crazy, especially in the last week. I think a boiling point is being reached and hopefully there will be some resolution soon, but still, yuck.
I am so sorry it just keeps going on, Jen, and hope it gets a little better soon. GL with the 18 today, not that you need luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
So that is kind of going to drag the grieving process out-I don't think our family will be able to start to try to heal until then.
I am realizing this is part of the issue for me. My mom did not want a funeral and was cremated per her request and I have done nothing to mark her passing yet. My brother and my stepdad both took a week off after she died and I just went back to work (no choice.) I think I have work beaten into submission enough to take a little time, I need some time badly.

I am also finding my DD to be comforting. She and my mom were tight (and it is still hard every. single. time. to think in the past tense with my mom) and I am so grateful to have that love to share with my DD as we grieve.

Quote:
I'm 98% sure I've settled on a date for my dissertation defense.[B]
Fantastic!

FIL arrived unexpectedly last night because he got stuck on his way home from California to Toronto. I am so grateful to have him here and will capitalize on the time. Hope to see JayGee if she needs some company!
#695 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
(it is still hard every. single. time. to think in the past tense with my mom)
My first reaction upon reading that is to remind yourself she is still with you, even if she's not physically there. It is hard when we can't call our parents, but be comforted in knowing that your mom is always there. My dad died in 1999, but I still have times when I realize I'm doing something the way he did (mostly home improvement projects) or I hear his voice in my head. You're supposed to struggle a bit -- people who make big big impacts in our lives are important to our sense of self, world and others.

Ok, I really am ignoring that ya'll are out running on this beautiful day and reminding myself that in a two months of working Saturdays (in addition to normal work schedule) this tenure here in grad school will be done.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#696 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
A little over 6 miles done with Mamabeth. My legs are killing me. This was my 6th day straight of working out and I need a rest day. Gotta go ice/decorate a cake for my mom's bday.
I had to read that twice. Why are you putting ice on a cake?

Thanks for the suggestions on the nightmares. I doubt I will hear anything more about it from her until tonight. I feel like I have a better toolkit now.

Kristin, your whole family is in flux right now. Be kind to yourself, and try not to list Erin on freecycle. What's the PhD date?
#697 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 11:37 AM

There's so much going on around here lately. I can't even keep up. Well I'm reading, but not a whole lot of time to sit down and commit to an entry.

Yesterday I did yoga and this morning I'm going out for a walk. It's beautiful out since the humidity broke. Later DH and I are going out on a date.

kerc - I would've suggested something similar with the dream catcher. My nephew had nightmares that bad guys fell through his ceiling when he was about 4, so I told my sister to put some water in a spray bottle and tell him it was Monster Juice. So before bed, he spritz down his room with the Monster Juice and it protected him and his dreams. Within a week he wasn't afraid and didn't ask for the spray again.

Jen - Good luck with your 18. Can't wait to hear how it went.

Jo - How did your test run go?

GO RACERS GO!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#698 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Geo, right now the moon is on the wane and it brings out crazy dreams, every month for me around this time (from full to a week or two past). I think it sounds like K might respond better to a logical explanation of what dreams ARE, and then maybe some relaxation (we do the "calm song" --calm feet, calm knees, etc). Hope it gets better.

Speaking of, I had this dream last night that my dad (who died nearly 11 years ago) came to a race of mine and was cheering with my mom and my kids. He's been gone so long that now it's just sort of good to "see" him again. Balancin and p'seed, it's not that it gets easier, it's kind of that you get used to it, or something. But it is so very hard and my prayers are with you both, esp during this first year.

6 very fun chatty miles with HBM in awesome weather...we are getting hurricane effects and it is so nice to have a reprieve from the heat! hate to say that about a hurricane, but it's true around here! and tonight I get to visit my new church for worship and I'm really excited about it. I know once the actual WORK sets in I won't be as thrilled, but I think it's been good to have a few years off so that I appreciate "getting" to go back to work now. bc right now I can't wait. Did I mention that I get a huge office and a laptop? pastor perks.

ETA: kerc, we all saw that about your PhD, mama. Awesome. I am in awe.
#699 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Urgh. I need a vacation. Oh and about 2 weeks with no family to finish my dissertation and start teaching. Thanks for listening to my rant and if you're still reading, I'm 98% sure I've settled on a date for my dissertation defense.[B]

can i come to your isolated no family, dissertation working undisclosed location? it'll be just me, my coffee maker, and my laptop?
#700 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 PM

oh, and MAJOR : congratulations for you!
#701 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 PM

I did 5.2 miles this morning - my longest run ever, since the birth of me as a human - and close to the end another mom, with a kid on a bike alongside her, chats me up a little. She's running a half marathon the day I'm doing a 10K (they're held along with the marathon here) and she was so chatty and enthusiastic about how she did her first half 6 months to the day after her youngest was born, and how fun it is, etc. etc. that I felt both encouraged and *really* humbled. I told her my goal is just to finish, which is true more or less, and I'm sure I can, so that's all good.

My dd has made a good friend in school whose mama was out of town this week doing, in her daughter's words, "a running race" in Oregon. It sounded like maybe it was a relay? So she sounds like a pretty serious runner, but maybe we could bond a little about it when I call next week to set up a playdate with her dd. We ran into the dad and the kids at a new-families meeting at school, and he had on tech gear just for a casual meeting, so I'm guessing they're pretty athletic. Super, super nice, too. (And yes, I'm stalking people I've never met hoping to make friends.)

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#702 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
can i come to your isolated no family, dissertation working undisclosed location? it'll be just me, my coffee maker, and my laptop?
Dick Cheney didn't come here on 9-12-01. : Geologists typically have graduate offices for their grad students. Mine happens to be the back hole of the sedimentology lab -- I have been kicked out of two offices thus far and I kinda like this space best. Since you have to enter two doors to get to my desk I've actually been the most productive here.

In any event, you're welcome anytime. Although I suspect if you arrived I would struggle to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
ETA: kerc, we all saw that about your PhD, mama. Awesome. I am in awe.
Yeah, it's mostly that "oh boy, I can't believe it" coupled with "crap I've got a lot to do between now and then" that made me post it in tiny letters. Where is Shantimama? I need her to come and play with my kids for a week -- they need her kind soul to help balance the super stress that is our household.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#703 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I did 5.2 miles this morning - my longest run ever, since the birth of me as a human
OMG, that has to be one of the best lines EVER! Way to go on your long run. I totally do the scoping out other runners thing, too. It's weird around here-lots of the other moms run, but they're not really that into running, if that makes sense.

OK-icing is made (Geo-in the south, we "ice" instead of "frost" a cake ). I have no idea how I'm going to decorate. Dd2 wanted a monkey. I don't think that would be my mom's first choice.

#704 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
OK-icing is made (Geo-in the south, we "ice" instead of "frost" a cake ). I have no idea how I'm going to decorate. Dd2 wanted a monkey. I don't think that would be my mom's first choice.
I've always 'iced' cakes too... though honestly, I don't know if it's something that people around here say (Eastern Canada) or if it's something I picked up from my parents (who are from Western Canada). I think it may possibly be both... because 'frosting' a cake just sounds odd to me .

I'm planning on going swimming tonight. No real distance in mind, mostly I'm just trying to keep my cardio in shape for when I can get back to running... which I've realized is now only 4 more weeks... yay! I'm getting there. I can't wait to run again.
#705 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Ugh 14 miles with not enough fuel. It was really rough. The last 3 miles were AWFUL. I am eating now and will plan on eating all day long so I can feel better. I'm also taking a nap soon as ds is down.
#706 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I did 5.2 miles this morning - my longest run ever, since the birth of me as a human
: : New distances are such awesome achievements! Congratulations!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#707 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM

we ice cakes where i'm from in PA too.

got up early this morning to go for a mtn bike ride, was feeling pretty good when all of the sudden i fragged my back while I was climbing. i turned around right away (despite how good my wonderful my legs were feeling ) and so now i'm sore, but not completely incapacitated. which i guess is what i was going for.

bathroom is completely painted. now to put on my swimsuit and take ds to the lake for some swimming.
#708 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cate View Post
I've always 'iced' cakes too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
we ice cakes where i'm from in PA too.
Cool-I guess it's just a "whatever your family says" thing rather than regional.

The cake is almost done. Dd2 helped me design and decorate it. It's pink with green borders and polka dots and blue writing. Very colorful. It also has lots of brown flecks from the chocolate cake b/c I suck at this.

#709 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The cake is almost done. Dd2 helped me design and decorate it. It's pink with green borders and polka dots and blue writing. Very colorful. It also has lots of brown flecks from the chocolate cake b/c I suck at this.
No you don't! I remember those turkey cupcakes!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#710 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 02:20 PM

Awesome, kerc! The end is in sight! Woot!

WTG on your long run, Penelope! It's so fun to set new personal bests with distance. Before you know it, 5 miles will be a short run! That's what happened to me!

Where I'm from (NW Ohio) we drink pop and frost our cakes!

rr~ 6 miles with dog and toddler. It was actually a much better run than my 4 yesterday, not sure how that works. I'm still slow as dirt, but I'm hoping that it's because of the stroller, not that I'm actually that slow. I haven't been able to run without (except for track) in so long that I really don't know! I'm still debating whether or not to go for a half marathon in October, but if I'm really that slow right now, I think I'd rather wait for the spring and see if I can get my speed back up!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#711 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, it sounds like there's a lot of cakes out there without swelling problems.

Tantrum city here. Stay back.
#712 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Hey mamas!

So Martha's Vineyard is very HILLY! At least where we're staying, which is "up Island" in the more rural area. Very gorgeous etc. but when I went out for my first run here, I was totally winded after about 10 mins. because I am so not used to hills (being that I live in a very flat area!). Whew. Good workout but shorter (2.5m) than usual.

But I did run a 5K here...my first race in over a year! It was a blast and really lovely. There was a killer hill which culminated in a fabulous ocean view under a lighthouse. So it was (almost) worth the climb! I finished in 33:01 which is nowhere near a personal best but is also respectable for me (my fastest ever 5K, around 10 years ago and before 3 kids, was 28:00). I'm the tortoise type, but I get where I am going. And I was nowhere near last. :

The weather here has been unbelievably gorgeous and apparently we're very lucky...it's the first week since June with sunshine for more than 3 straight days. We've had a week of 78-80 degrees and pure blue skies, no humidity. Nights are cool but that's okay. It's beautiful.

Gonna try myself on a bike today, not my forte, esp. with child seat attached but we shall see!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#713 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM

Nickarolaberry - It all sounds so lovely!! How long are you there for? PS - I'm a tortoise type too.. I think my fastest 5K is a 28:50.

tjsmama - I totally drink pop and frost my cakes. I'm from upper Michigan.

Mandy - I hope your back feels better and swimming with the boy was fun.

Penelope - Way to go on 5.2! :

I took my pup for about 1 1/2 miles this morning and I jogged a little ways. It felt really good.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#714 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Aw, thanks, guys. I'm actually blushing. I was *thrilled* - my time was even decent, well within what I hope for for practice runs. It's so true about the long run becoming the short run! I used to run 2.5 miles, religiously, and that was *it.*

I think I can do a half next September (a year from now) if I keep running, which I plan to. How cool would that be?

#715 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 PM

The "soda/pop" divide is somewhere east of Pittsburgh. I grew up knowing soda, then went to school in Pgh, and was like, you call this what?? I believe it is also there that they said tennis shoes and we (eastern PA) call them sneakers. Oh, and I have always heard of icing a cake.

Now here in NY, you wait on line. I still wait in line and apparently alot of other transplants do to because you hear both.

Pulled out my rollerblades from over 7 years ago and went out with DH and the kids -- they on bikes, we on rollerblades. Was fun! Felt like a bit of a workout too.
#716 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 05:38 PM

Penelope - way to go on the lifetime personal longest distance! You can totally do a half next Sept!

HBM - You rock, woman, with the 6 days of exercise and the icing! We frost cakes here too, and drink pop, but we also drink "melk" (that one actually makes me crazy)

Balancin1 - I miss you mama. And C. misses R. And my life is crazy, but we have to figure something out one of these days. Many hugs as you keep dealing with the loss of your mom - keep talking about it, we are always here.

kerc - woohoo! There's a light at the end of that tunnel (and it's not a train!)

bbm - sorry your run was hard - is it as hot there as it is here today? Tank up the rest of the day.

kate~mom - if kerc needs the peace and quiet to work, maybe we could just go somewhere together? I'd be happy to read myself silly for another week.

RR - I made it. 18 miles. That's about the best I can say today. It was really hot and humid, and even though we started by 6:30 am, it was really bad by the end. I wrung out my shorts and my shirt when I took them off. My shorts and shirt (both nice quick dry materials) were so wet at the end that the were clinging to me and I was "raining." It took me 30 minutes longer to do 18 this week than 17 did last week because of the heat and humidity (and also my friend who is a bit slower did it with me) We ran with the Team in Training group, and I actually finished 18 before the last person finished the 16 they were all running (I'm following Hal Higdon's long runs because they fit my call schedule better.) I have to say, though, I never was in doubt that I could finish, and I managed the hydration and fuel okay - it was just really freaking hard to run in that heat. I drove home from the group (an hour) and went straight to Justin's baseball game and sat in the heat and humidity for 2 hours. I put a couple refrigerated water bottles on various places for a while, but I still felt weak and dizzy when the game was over. Driving home, the bank said it was 94F, and the humidity had to be over 80%. Once I got back in the air and had some pretzels and water, though, I was fine. But yuck, it better not be like this come marathon day!
#717 of 913 Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Quick post to let you all know JayGee's wave starts at 8:30 tomorrow morning, we managed to meet for dinner and she is so lovely as we all knew. I am so inspired to get my booty back in gear.

Congrats to Penelope and DrJen on your new distances.

OK must get off. I'm hoping to provide at least a little cheering section tomorrow for JayGee. Good luck tomorrow Megs!
#718 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Balancin1~you are so sweet!
#719 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I did 5.2 miles this morning - my longest run ever, since the birth of me as a human - and close to the end another mom, with a kid on a bike alongside her, chats me up a little. She's running a half marathon the day I'm doing a 10K (they're held along with the marathon here) and she was so chatty and enthusiastic about how she did her first half 6 months to the day after her youngest was born, and how fun it is, etc. etc. that I felt both encouraged and *really* humbled. I told her my goal is just to finish, which is true more or less, and I'm sure I can, so that's all good.

My dd has made a good friend in school whose mama was out of town this week doing, in her daughter's words, "a running race" in Oregon. It sounded like maybe it was a relay? So she sounds like a pretty serious runner, but maybe we could bond a little about it when I call next week to set up a playdate with her dd. We ran into the dad and the kids at a new-families meeting at school, and he had on tech gear just for a casual meeting, so I'm guessing they're pretty athletic. Super, super nice, too. (And yes, I'm stalking people I've never met hoping to make friends.)
Too cool! Two running mamas!

Quote:
Yeah, it's mostly that "oh boy, I can't believe it" coupled with "crap I've got a lot to do between now and then" that made me post it in tiny letters. Where is Shantimama? I need her to come and play with my kids for a week -- they need her kind soul to help balance the super stress that is our household.
Kerc that is just too awesome! I can't wait to celebrate the completion of a defense!

Quote:
Cool-I guess it's just a "whatever your family says" thing rather than regional.

Yeah to the turkey cakes...and not to mention, isn't the most important part how yummy they are? And I'm confident they were de-L-i-cious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Well, it sounds like there's a lot of cakes out there without swelling problems.

Tantrum city here. Stay back.
Uh oh, did a night of rest help? We are on day 5 of major emotional upheavel for dd. So far, so good today. We'll see soon as she can't do what she wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Hey mamas!

So Martha's Vineyard is very HILLY! At least where we're staying, which is "up Island" in the more rural area. Very gorgeous etc. but when I went out for my first run here, I was totally winded after about 10 mins. because I am so not used to hills (being that I live in a very flat area!). Whew. Good workout but shorter (2.5m) than usual.

But I did run a 5K here...my first race in over a year! It was a blast and really lovely. There was a killer hill which culminated in a fabulous ocean view under a lighthouse. So it was (almost) worth the climb! I finished in 33:01 which is nowhere near a personal best but is also respectable for me (my fastest ever 5K, around 10 years ago and before 3 kids, was 28:00). I'm the tortoise type, but I get where I am going. And I was nowhere near last. :
Yay! What a great time, especially with all those hills. The view sounds amazing! I get chills when I imagine it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Nickarolaberry - It all sounds so lovely!! How long are you there for? PS - I'm a tortoise type too.. I think my fastest 5K is a 28:50.

tjsmama - I totally drink pop and frost my cakes. I'm from upper Michigan.

Mandy - I hope your back feels better and swimming with the boy was fun.

Penelope - Way to go on 5.2! :

I took my pup for about 1 1/2 miles this morning and I jogged a little ways. It felt really good.
Nice to hear you're doing well with forward motion. How're your dreads coming? all out yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
bbm - sorry your run was hard - is it as hot there as it is here today? Tank up the rest of the day.

RR - I made it. 18 miles. That's about the best I can say today. It was really hot and humid, and even though we started by 6:30 am, it was really bad by the end. I wrung out my shorts and my shirt when I took them off. My shorts and shirt (both nice quick dry materials) were so wet at the end that the were clinging to me and I was "raining." It took me 30 minutes longer to do 18 this week than 17 did last week because of the heat and humidity (and also my friend who is a bit slower did it with me) We ran with the Team in Training group, and I actually finished 18 before the last person finished the 16 they were all running (I'm following Hal Higdon's long runs because they fit my call schedule better.) I have to say, though, I never was in doubt that I could finish, and I managed the hydration and fuel okay - it was just really freaking hard to run in that heat. I drove home from the group (an hour) and went straight to Justin's baseball game and sat in the heat and humidity for 2 hours. I put a couple refrigerated water bottles on various places for a while, but I still felt weak and dizzy when the game was over. Driving home, the bank said it was 94F, and the humidity had to be over 80%. Once I got back in the air and had some pretzels and water, though, I was fine. But yuck, it better not be like this come marathon day!
It wasn't too hot here. It's all about fuel. One of the problems I've found with the adderall is eating enough. I've lost a bunch of weight in a week despite trying to eat. I probably would've lost more. I didn't have the sterotypical when the med wears off starvation. I think I'll have to not take it fridays and weekends to try and catch up on calories. So long story short, I think I just ran out of fuel. It was like running the 18 I did a few years back training for the marathon. Just didn't think I could make it another step.

That said, awesome run!!! you rock, you are totally there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Quick post to let you all know JayGee's wave starts at 8:30 tomorrow morning, we managed to meet for dinner and she is so lovely as we all knew. I am so inspired to get my booty back in gear.

Congrats to Penelope and DrJen on your new distances.

OK must get off. I'm hoping to provide at least a little cheering section tomorrow for JayGee. Good luck tomorrow Megs!
Woo Hoo Jaygee, she's probably lining up and just about started right now!

Still exhausted, but get up at 4:30 am probably doesn't help.
#720 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Go JayGee!!

go Megs!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page