Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#723 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:go megs!:

:go jaygee!:

i left my ovary in nashville! buh bye!

we made it to east bay! whew. i love it here. i feel relieved to be back somewhere that feels more like home to me, even thought it is a larger, more complicated city than i have ever lived in. there's just so much to do!

got my treadmill all set up, not sure when i'll dust it off and hit the 'road' again. i suppose i'll be heading back to c25k at some point.

back to unpacking....

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#724 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 12:14 PM

Poppy!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#725 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Good luck racers!!!!!!!!!!!

poppy, you moved to SF? Guess I missed that in my MDC hiatus. Maybe we can hook up there when ever I am visiting my sister there. She lives in the Mission. Nice city!! I would prefer that to the south as well.

Speaking of cities, we are heading out to the MoMA with my cousin, who is actually headed to SF tomorrow.

ta ta.
#726 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome home, Poppy. Wawoof is out in the south bay -- let me know if you want her contact info. Where exactly are you? We lived in Hayward and Berkeley.

25 miles with C today in 75 minutes. I'm Beat.

C will speed up anytime someone passes us to give chase. She's slow back down once we lose sight of the person, or we pass them again. Today, the person we were chasing figured it out, and we kept leap-frogging each other, meaning that we did the second half of the route at >22 mph. Whew.
#727 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 02:45 PM

rr~I ran 16 miles today and I'm crazy tired now.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#728 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 PM

GO MEGS!!!

GO JAYGEE!!!

I"m sort of old I guess and am wondering what the phrase "I'm beastin" means? I have a younger person on my Facebook friends and am not sure what he's on about!

Pms is hitting! YUCK! Having to hold in a case of snarkiness! I don't even mean to be, but it sure comes out sounding like it. This mojito is helping!

I'm going to change my running schedule just a little. Monday is normally an off day, but I need to change that to Tuesdays, because they are just so busy.
#729 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Some impressive mileage and times. WTG!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#730 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Warning: novel about me!!! I feel like I do this every so often, but I'd like some input:

OK, I'm not losing weight like I should. I'm gaining. I've gained 4 lbs that have stayed with my for 7 days. I've been working out almost every day. I've been tracking my food more than usual, and most days I eat between 1500-2200 calories a day, and in exercise I burn 400-700 (on my HRM, the machines show a 600-1100 burn). I'm 40, 5'5", and weigh about 195 : .

I try to keep my HR between 120-150 for about 60-90 minutes when I workout. I want to stay fat burning. I "bonk" when my HR gets about 160, and I get that amonia smell when my HR gets above 155. Therefor it takes more time to burn though 500 calories. I also have a hard time running b/c my runing HR is around 160. So I've been using running as intensity intervals with walking on teh TM.

My other concern is that my stomach does not seem to be getting any smaller. This week, I feel like is is bigger. I did consume more wheat and dairy (crackers, cheese and milk) on teh days that I had that migraine. I have avoided alcohol for 6 weeks (I think I get beer bloat when I drink). I have been doing my usual core exercises (about 10-20 min 4 times a week), but I have missed my 30 min bi-weekly core class that I was taking (interferes with dd's swim lessons)

My calorie intake is probably on teh high side, but I do like to eat and I feel hungry often. I do try to eat fruits and vegetables 1st, but there are days that I don;t deny myself ice cream, or choc covered raisins, nuts.. and those are teh days that I go over 2000 cal. I'm not sure if you can see this, but here's my food log on TDP. I am embarassed about some of the food that I eat, but here it is:
http://www.thedailyplate.com/users/myplate/

I'm due to see my internal med Dr in a few weeks. I am hypo thyroid, and I take synthroid. my blood tests 12 and 6 months ago show that my script is correct (she actually could have lowered it, but I begged her not to)

What else could I ask her to test for? She tested me for PCOS 12 months ago.. maybe with my A1C, and she said that I am not insulin resistant. My othe rblood work, blood pressure, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, were all good #'s. Oh, I used to drink a lot.... 1-2 glasses of wine 3-5 nights a week, and a good 4-8 beer "party" or social event once every 1-3 weeks. I've cut back to drinking maybe once a month.. for calorie savings but more to keep myslef from becoming too dependent/familiar with/in a habit on alcohol. ANd I drank like that (avoiding in pregnancy) for 22 years. Could my liver be shot and my liver be making my stomach look fat???

Another thing I am considering. At my gym, for $100 each, they offer Resting metabolic rate testing and metabolic assessment profile. they hook you up to an oxygen mask on a TM, and run you through HR levels to find how many calories your body burns at rest for teh 1st. Teh 2nd tells yoru exact metabolic fitness level and optimal HR zone to acheive weight loss goals. I'm thinking about the 2nd, just to give me guidance.. but it's a lot of $$$

TFR, adn I do apperciate any advice.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#731 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

hi y'all...
can't wait to hear the race reports!

dd has a case of the "school is tomorrow and I can't sleep-itis" but at least she's going to school tomorrow! whew.

I got to do an hour of yoga today and it felt SO good. I have been working in the 20 min sessions but there's just something about doing a whole hour that is good for the soul (and body, of course). And I renewed my crush on Dave Farmar. : Supposed to run tomorrow but it is pouring rain, which we really need, so I may have to hit the mill instead. oh well! got some podcasts saved up for just this occasion.

Gigi, I'm sorry you're at this point! You have been doing great and some weeks are weird like that, for whatever reason. My only thought is that it IS okay to be hungry, especially while going down another "level" or whatever. When I've lost a lot, I get REALLY hungry for a while and then it evens out and I can eat less and be satisfied. Got that tip from Oprah, actually, who says when she feels hungry at night she just thinks about the fat dripping off her thighs. or something.

and about the tummy thing...do you have a diastasis? I can't do regular core exercises or it pushes my belly out again. yoga's the only thing I've found that will work consistently. FWIW.

must go do something else for anxious dd. sigh.
#732 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
and about the tummy thing...do you have a diastasis? I can't do regular core exercises or it pushes my belly out again. yoga's the only thing I've found that will work consistently. FWIW.
I don't think I have it, but I've never been thin enough to feel in there. When I do push in, I don;t feel a seperation. Maybe I need to work a yoga class into my week????.. but that woudl be less cardio = less fat buring???

Oh, anyone can feel free to gnore my post. I don't want to be a thread killer, and I will keep going and be okay

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#733 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Cath, your weightloss and tenacity is amazing. I'm in awe of your ability to stick with your "new you" efforts in the last year. Have you added any weight training?
#734 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM

I do weights 2-4 times a week. I alternate legs one day, upper body/back the 2nd day. I try to do core every day that I have time for weights. I usually spend 20 minutes on weigths, inbetween 2 30 min cardio sets. I think I am building muscle, I can see it in my legs, biceps, triceps. I feel very strong. I KNOW that muscle weighs more than fat (for the space that it uses up..... not to go back into this thread to see that 1lb of fat weighs teh same as 1lb of muscle ). And while gaining muscle is great, I am frickin obese, and my goal is to lose weight, not to trade out and become a huge 200lb freight train of muscle.... KWIM??? And I know that I woudl be able to run at a lower HR if I wasn't having to deal with all of this extra weight.....

(sorry that I turned this into another vent )

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#735 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 PM

CathToria - I'd guess that you have some degree of insulin resistance, maybe not enough to make something like an A1C abnormal, but probably still there. The bad news about that is that it really does make it truly harder to lose weight, and weight loss is one of the few things that does make it better. You may have to have fewer calories than someone without it does to lose weight - sometimes really a lot fewer than seems reasonable to the person doing the eating! I always tell my own clients with this issue that they are right - it isn't fair, and they really are doing everything a person SHOULD be able to do and lose weight, but that unfortunately they have to work harder. You might think about seeing an endocrinologist or knowledgeable primary doc to specifically see about the insulin resistance and find out if you might benefit at all from meds (metformin in particular). Having a dietician do an actual plan for you might also help.
I'm always kind of interested in the heart rate stuff. Despite being in what I think is pretty good physical shape, my heart rate is generally higher than what I've seen recommended. When I run even my easy runs, my heart rate tends to be 160s, and higher than that with speed work out or at the end of hard or long workouts. I wonder if there is anyway for you to condition to be able to tolerate higher heart rates and help boost your metabolism?

I didn't run today. I feel okay and probably could have, but it was a busy day and I'm giving myself an off day. My oldest ds turned 20 today, and he and his girlfriend came home for a birthday party. I made his favorite supper (pork chops baked with apples, mashed potatoes, green beans cooked in italian dressing, and homemade rolls with nutmeg butter for them) and cake. I always decorate my kids' cakes how they want them, but he didn't have any opinion this year so I went for tastes good over looks good and made homemade white cake (which is nice moist, dense cake) with mocha frosting. It was really, really yummy. I cannot believe I have a 20 year old child. Just doesn't seem possible.
#736 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm home from Chicago! What an amazing experience it was.

Balancin1, it was so great to meet you for dinner last night. Did you make it to the race today? I looked for you by the museum, but at that point, I was pretty fried .

The Results (and I'm really happy with them):
W40-44 Rank: 18 of 115
Swim: 00:31:37
T1: 00:03:28
Bike: 01:17:49 (19.1mph)
T2: 00:03:04
Run: 00:48:34 (07:50min/mi )
Total Time: 02:44:33

It was such a gorgeous morning for racing. Sunny, cool, low humidity, with a stiff breeze from the north. The swim was so cool. Lake Michigan is so clear! I could see straight to the bottom and it wasn't murky at all. I barely had to sight, just followed the bubbles of someone ahead of me. The bike had a serious headwind going north and a sweet tailwind heading back south . I guess they kind of cancel each other out. Someday I'll get a bike average over 20 mph... The run was fantastic, right along the lakefront. I was passing people like crazy! I had no idea that I ran that fast, since I don't like to wear my Garmin when I race. I am so pleased with the results and I highly, highly recommend this tri to anyone in Chicago driving-distance.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#737 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Eek. Today was one, giant, tantrum/whine/argument etc. I hate days like this, I feel like the worst parent in the world. We didn't get to go watch the race. Looking forward to hearing race reports though.

CathToria, how long have you been plateau'd? A week is not so long in the big scheme of things. Your numbers, workout, food, etc. all look exactly where they should be as far as calories vs exercise. I don't think you are doing anything wrong nor do I think a plateau like this is so unusual. The only thing would be to watch it for a while and talk to your Dr if you feel anything else is going on. (pregnancy?) I'd also hit the water and fiber, if you are retaining water for some reason or are having some food intolerance issues maybe you are retaining some stuff you'd rather not?

Back to the laundry. Which I did not finish thanks to being so disorganized today. Yikes.
#738 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM

JayGee! So glad to hear your race report, and so sorry we didn't get to watch you today. Been thinking about you all day though and glad to hear you enjoyed your race! Nice times, I bet that was fun!
#739 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Welcome home, Poppy. Wawoof is out in the south bay -- let me know if you want her contact info. Where exactly are you? We lived in Hayward and Berkeley.
has wawoof always been out here? i thought she was in nearer to you.
if you have any recommendations on places to eat or things to do in east bay, i'd love them! i like driving around berkeley, but it's much bigger than i thought it would be so insider info to cut to the chase would be great!

moonshine - def let me know if you head out for a visit!

jenlove!

went to trader joe's today.....ahhhh....: i've missed joe so much!

congrats jaygee!!!!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#740 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM

JayGee, you are smokin fast!!! congrats on such a great race.

I woudl be okay with a plateau.. it's teh 4 lb gain that has be bothered. The 4lbs has been here for 7 days. I'm right where I was in May, so if that 4 lbs stays, then I am on a 2 month plateau. I fthat 4 lbs goes away, then I will have lost 4 lbs in 2.5 months (that's where I was a week ago). 4 lbs in 2.5 months SUCKS for someone exercising 4-6 times a week.. burning 2500-4000 calories a week, on a non processed, whole foods diet.

DrJen, I think you are correct, and I just need to accept that weight loss for me is just going to require a lot more work. I saw a great endocronoligist with my last 2 pregnancies. I stopped going to him last year, when I know that my days of being pg were over. His office is 30 traffic filled miles away, with long waits for an appt and long waits in teh waiting room. But maybe I should see him again. Oh, guess what I saw him for in pregnancy???? Insulin dependent GD... I was insulin dependent at 10 weeks with my last, but I am not diabetic outside of pregnancy (yet...........if I don't lose the weight!!!)

No more pregnancies for me. Dh and I are VERY specific and committed to NFP/FAM. I know that I am not pregnant.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#741 of 913 Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 PM

WTG, JAYGEE!!!! You did awesome! I cannot fathom running that fast after biking and swimming. Heck, I can barely run that fast without biking and swimming, and certainly not for 10k!

rr~Holy epic ride today. I talked a friend into going with me to do the same ride I did a few weeks ago, the 10 mile long climb up. I was hoping to complete the loop instead of turning around at the top, but I was leaving it up to my friend since she's fairly new to cycling. She did great, although she had to get off and walk a few times on the way up. We got to the top, took a short break, and she decided that she wanted to try to complete the loop, so off we went. Wow, we had NO idea what we were getting into. We thought that the rest of the ride would be downhill with maybe a few short ups. Nope, there were some serious ups and our legs were DONE. Just about the time I think we were both about ready to flag down the next car and beg for a ride, we hit the *real* downhill and it was SO much fun flying down! My friend was awesome...for awhile there I was worried she might try to push me off the nearest cliff, or at the very least never ride with me again. After a well-deserved burger and margarita, we both had much more positive opinions of the experience. In the end, we did about 27 miles with somewhere between 3500 and 5000 feet of elevation gain (which is a good bit!). My legs are DONE. No spin class or run for me tomorrow, I think...swimming it is!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#742 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 AM

JayGee
Amazing times! Whew you are fast!

WTG long runners this weekend!!1

tjs - I'm exhausted just hearing about that ride

Gigi - I don't have any specific advice but you have made amazing progress. I'm hypothyroid too, and have often worried about insulin resistance bc I match a lot of the symptoms and have a HUGE family history of it and diabetes... I know for me, starchy carbs and sugar really do me in - I can slightly overdo one week, and see a big gain the next week Hopefully this week can just be chalked up to normal fluctuations or plateau and the carbs.... Good luck! Don't worry about venting, that's what we are here for!!!!

poppy - glad you all made it! more west coast dingos, yeah!

classes start at the univ tmw, and I'm teaching for the first time in several years, so I feel super rusty!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#743 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
has wawoof always been out here? i thought she was in nearer to you.
She was near me. We started a Saturday am playgroup together. Then I moved here and she moved there.

My legs are toast from yesterday. Another 10 mile (round trip) commute today...
#744 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM

Last night I went out for a *short* jog (about 1/2 mile) and then I walked for about 15 minutes. Today I am hoping for a prenatal yoga workout once I get home from the little beasts at the YMCA. Today and tomorrow and then I'm done!! :

JayGee ~ Woot! You are so fast! Way to go!

tjsmama ~ My legs feel done after reading about your ride. I've only done road riding... that climbing on a bike thing is too much for me.

#745 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Hey ladies!

Cath~I have insulin resistance, and gaining is easy, losing is difficult. I'm thin, vegatarian, and was training for a marathon when I found out (55 mile weeks). Genetics got me. The insulin resistance diet works well for me, and I am currently waiting for the book from Amazon (getting impatient as I ordered weeks ago...) so I can be more strict about my diet and try to get it right. I am on the verge of seeing a dietician, but it's not covered by insurance and I've spent SO MUCH medical money already, and dh needs some stuff done. mama, it's tough.

I've had a crazy weekend, skip if you want. I slept through the church run Sat. morning but went out from my house for a later run alone. Our neighbors across the street were outside yelling at eachother with the F bomb at 9am, which caught me off gaurd. I got back about a half hour later to find the grandmother there looknig distraught, and all the family in the front yard on cell phones. I walk up to talk to GM and she says that A (mother of three) is high on drugs and violent and won't let anyone near the kids (yet she is unsafe for them at the time.) So I talk to A and she lets me take two of the kids to my house, the baby stays with S (the baby's dad, all three are different dads.). Right as I am running across the street with the kids (6yo and 2yo) the cops pull up and put A (the mom) in handcuffs, and eventually take her to jail for a warrant (for a fight she was in another time).

So our party day was spent caring for these children who are crying, scared, dirty, hungry, etc. and all upset by the situation. We also find out that the mom, A, bit, scratched her dad (they all live together) and threw a tv at him tearing up his leg, just that morning. Yikes!!

Find out that the husband of A, S, is on parole for meth, and our 21 yo neighbor next to them, is on parole for traffic and alcohol something a rather and they shouldn't be talking to each other but they do.

we. want. to. move.

Then my Dad calls and tells me that they lost water at his house, so that's where I'll be spending today with the well repair people, since he left for Chicago (and we have my GM here this week).

Found out that my GM forgot who I was yesterday (alzheimers) which I knew would happen some day, but hoped not when she was due to stay here all week.

Our washer broke 3 weeks ago, and still no part for it. I've been doing laundry down at my dads, but now that he has no water, did some at my MIL's house. I might hit the laundry mat tonight to finish the rest of it. sigh.

All is good, we are fine, but we do want to move. Son did have a blast at his party day and that was important to me. I do love my kids so!!

Did 63 push ups yesterday on week one of that challenge. It's fun! I'm not as sore as the first two days. Must run soon. This week is crazy.

Love to you ladies!
Lisa
#746 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM

You are a saint, Lisa.
#747 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
You are a saint, Lisa.
:

#748 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

whew. definitely sainthood. how awful for those kids. but how great that you could help them right then.

I didn't get a run in...it was pouring and I didn't sleep well so got a little more sleep vs. getting up and running the mill. But the day's not over yet, right?

Jaygee, you are CRAZY fast! Congrats, mama! :
#749 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 AM

I have a phone appointment with K's teacher tonight. She was scared to go to school today. Now I need to get all my thoughts together rationally to talk to the teacher. Help?

She's in a 1st/2nd grade split. Holding kids back a year is all the vogue around here, with about half the kids a year older than they should be by grade. That means that her classroom likely has several kids who will be turning 9 in a few months. K is 6 years, 3 weeks, and she's the youngest in her class.

*DD is shy. We worked hard last year to make one friend, and they were split up this year.
*DD is really sensitive and has minimal exposure to TV. She gets nightmares from scary images, even if they are just described to her. (We had nightmares with some of the reading books she had to read last year. They seemed to all have the general theme of "cute lovable creature in mortal peril.")
*DD told her afterK teacher last spring that her one worry about first grade was that the class would be too noisy and distracting for her to concentrate. It sounds like she's been seated next to exhibit A of "noisy, not sitting in her seat, speaking out of turn" kid.
*I think DD's bored with most of the work. I actually think this is a big part of the issue.
#750 of 913 Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM

jaygee that is AMAZING!!! Wow, I am just beyond impressed. to the master

Okay I walked away and have forgotten most of my personals, but here's what I do remember:

Runningmommy - I think you have the most amazing spirit. You have such a gentle and giving soul. Those children have an awful situation, but at least for a while they had calm and gentle in their lives.

Geo - I'm gonna pm you...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page