Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
It was so sweet to catch this healthy baby girl this morning, likely their last child - and thankfully they weren't a big picture taking family so my crazy outfit will just be written about!
Doctorjen, we don't say this nearly often enough, but thanks for being the kind of doctor we'd all like to have helping us birth our babies. Reading that birth story was awesome (and my mom's male OB came to the hospital in his PJs to help me be born in 1975 in the middle of a sub-zero cold snap in NJ).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#782 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 04:52 PM

great story DrJen

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#783 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
great story DrJen
::

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#784 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Ahhhh, DrJen. I just second what everyone else said so far -- complete with big, fat tears rollin' down my face.

OK, my times:

Swim: 54:13
T1: over 4 min -- thanks to the Pee from He!!. Seriously. It was THAT LONG.
Bike: 1:32:39 (16.1 MPH, so I'm happy!)
T2: 2:24
Run: 1:01:00 (9:50.4/mile -- including several planned walk breaks and some unplanned uphill walks, just to make sure I finished... I'm stoked w/ sub-10!)
TOTAL: 3:34:29

So there. CherylAnn took some pictures, so hopefully she'll e-mail them soon and we can post the Dingo love.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#785 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 PM

megs~ WOOT on the first place in your age group! I probably couldn't finish first even if I WAS the only one in the group. And seriously, if you had been able to swim straight, you totally would have smoked my time! WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
tjsmama: I was out through Delta yesterday. The corn is tall, but it is seriously looking peaked. I've been told that the ran this last month has been really hit or miss. Do your folks farm? If so, hope all is well with them.
Nope, they're townies!

No activity today to report. DS had his tumbling class this morning, followed by lunch with friends (where he ate 3 1/2!!! bowls of mac and cheese) and errand running. Now I really really need to crack down and get busy on house stuff. I'm hoping to get the second ceiling fan installed in the living room this afternoon so that the rest of the week I can concentrate on cleaning up the rest of the house. I'd probably put the ceiling fan off, but it's currently sitting in the study, which needs to be cleaned out for my parents' visit, so I can either haul it downstairs to the garage, or get my butt in gear and get it on the ceiling! Someone please give me a kick in the butt. My motivation level is sadly, sadly lacking...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#786 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 PM

I'm reading along. I've just been preoccupied, but will get back to posting soon!
Running 3 on the tm tonight.
#787 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM

Off for a 2 1/2 mile walk to my nephew's flag football game and back. Well that is.. once I eat my snack.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#788 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Reading along too. Just had to post to give Megs a long-distance high five! As someone who couldn't ride a bike a single mile, I'm ceaselessly amazed by you tri girls.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#789 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Ahhhh, DrJen. I just second what everyone else said so far -- complete with big, fat tears rollin' down my face.
Yes, this.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#790 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 PM

Argh!!!!! I am in ceiling fan hell!

Started installing the second one. Was feeling pretty good about myself since I kind of knew what I was doing after the last time. Was just finishing up the last step before getting the fan up to the ceiling and doing the wiring and the fricking fracking set screw BROKE off in the hole. HOW the ^&*( does that happen??? Now I'm screwed because there's not even any way to disassemble what I've already done since the screw is broken off in the hole. I'm just stuck with a mostly-assembled ceiling fan that can't be hung. AND, now I'm probably going to have to spend an hour on the phone with the freaking company tomorrow to get them to send me a replacement. Unbelievable. :

Not only is my house a disaster, but now I have ceiling fan parts everywhere and no freaking fan to show for it. I am so irritated right now. What a complete waste of two hours of my life. :

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#791 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Mom cuddled her for a while and finally directed her attention out a bit and focused on me. "So, did you know you have shirt on inside out?" she said in a conversational tone of voice. I looked down and laughed - I had my shirt on inside out, no bra, and unmatched socks. I laughed with my client and said "You're going to put this in the baby book, aren't you?" and she said "You bet!"
drjen, if I didn't know that you were at the hospital, I'd swear you were doing birth at home. How cool that you have staff that doesn't freak over stuff like this and that you are so willing to catch however mom wants to birth.
Totally understand the clothing situation. Can't tell you how often I end up with soaked clothing from some part of a waterbirth. Always look like a drowned rat. Thus no pictures of this midwife most of the time.

I have an appointment with the family doc for Thurs. The sports med guy I wanted to see is not in network, but there are others in town. In the meantime I swim and bike. Expecting an X-ray followed by an MRI. Just hoping surgery is not in my future. Went into the fractured femur visit thinking it was bursitis, less in denial this time. Two brothers with bad foot bones.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#792 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Been reading along. Have some personals, maybe can get back on after kids are in bed.

But, first, a question: Would I be completely insane to sign up for a 4M race Sept 6th? I have not run in over a year. I have, ahem, gone back to that habit that I had told you all I ended (which, for some time, I did end -- for those of you who weren't here yet, it is the evil smoking). I guess I could run/walk it. They also have kid races, which I told the kids about and at least one seems interested. Whaddayathink? It certainly would be a way to jump start my running and maybe REALLY kick the habit.
#793 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Moonshine....if it will inspire you to do both START and STOP then do it! I'm sure you can get through 4 miles either way, walking or running or a combination.

drjen that's just awesome. reminds me of being on call for chaplaincy and putting on my dress backwards with crazy hair in the middle of the night. no one noticed though! :

mothercat, I hope it's the best possible scenario!

Megs, you finished an Olympic tri! : crazy. in a good way. I am totally in awe, too.
#794 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 PM

moonshine - I would say go for it if you are interested in doing it. You could walk/run it and it could spark something for you to keep going and kick that habit of yours. You can so do it! We're cheering for you! :

#795 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. For some crazy reason, I really feel like doing this. Even though even in my best running days, 4m would have been a stretch.

DD1's first comment when I told her about the kids races -- "Can I get some real running clothes?" Such a fashionista.
#796 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM

Ok, I did it. And even crazier than me signing up is that DH agreed to do the men's race. He does.not.run and tells me he HATES TO RUN, but has agreed to this race to make it "a family thing." I think that he also wants to spite me by showing how much more in shape he is than me. So, eksmom, please add me to the fitness Body, Mind, Spirit Games, Sept 6, Central Park. Thanks!

CathToria, I meant to comment on your post yesterday. I don't know anything about insulin resistance, but as far as weight loss goes, have you tried more soups or smoothies? I just started making green smoothies. PM me if you are interested in more info. I am doing them to try to heal my stomach issues, but am hoping for some weight loss as well. So far I have lost 16 lbs (before starting the smoothies), and hopefully I can get rid of 8-10 more.

dr jen, what an amazing story. You rock, doc mama. And hopefully births like that will help the rough spots you have been feeling with your job.
#797 of 913 Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Dr. Jen~ what a fabulous birth story ! For some reason, I love hearing about those fast and furious labors. Possibly because I'm a 2-weeks-of-prodromal-hell kinda gal myself !

moonshine - YAY! I think you should DO IT! Run the race AND kick the habit . You've got lots of Dingos cheering you on .

mothercat ~ I hope the doctor only has good news for you .

eksmom ~ are you still the master of the race list? If so, please add the Go Girl Sprint Triathlon on September 6 for me. Figured I'd round out the season with a race on the exact same course as my first tri this summer.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#798 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Back to school night was last night. As of yesterday (DD confirms) DD isn't sitting next to the squirrel anymore! :dance The squirrel's mom came over expecting to sit next to me, and all I could say was "Hmmm, it looks like things got moved around."

4 am nightmare, though.
#799 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Drjen that is a fab birth story. can you be my ob?

No run today (yet) or yesterday. I got into a car accident yesterday and this morning I have to take the van to the shop to get evaluated/appraised. I rear-ended someone (long story) at a very slow speed but still plenty of damage to the front end. Sigh. Everyone is okay but I am still kinda freaked out about it. And dh isn't being so nice . Guess it's easier to blame and be mad at me than let the fear in. :

Plus now I have to go out and buy some carseats and the only store that has the ones I want is a good 35min drive.

But it is gorgeous out here today and I definitely want to run when he gets home from work. Need to go out by myself.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#800 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
No run today (yet) or yesterday. I got into a car accident yesterday and this morning I have to take the van to the shop to get evaluated/appraised. I rear-ended someone (long story) at a very slow speed but still plenty of damage to the front end. Sigh. Everyone is okay but I am still kinda freaked out about it. And dh isn't being so nice . Guess it's easier to blame and be mad at me than let the fear in. :
Sorry about the accident. Glad to hear everyone is OK.
DH's fear that you all could have been seriously hurt or something else?

mothercat

#801 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
drjen, if I didn't know that you were at the hospital, I'd swear you were doing birth at home. How cool that you have staff that doesn't freak over stuff like this and that you are so willing to catch however mom wants to birth.
Totally understand the clothing situation. Can't tell you how often I end up with soaked clothing from some part of a waterbirth. Always look like a drowned rat. Thus no pictures of this midwife most of the time.
I'm really lucky in my hospital environment and staff. We are a small labor and delivery unit, doing about 220 births a year, and we have only 6 providers who attend births of which I am the busiest (not by much, my OB back up is just a little under me in volume.) Our nurses all trained here, and the culture is very pro-client and all nurses expect to do labor support. It is hugely different from my residency hospital, where the nurses' main goal seemed to be to get the patients to be quiet - usually by starting an epidural as soon as possible.
When I first started here 7 years ago, the nurses were already used to providing labor support and being very family-centered (the nurse manager was a certified doula, even) but while they encouraged all sorts of movement and position changes for labor, client were put to bed with their legs up for the doctor when it came to delivery. I wanted to do things differently (even though I had no experience either, having trained somewhere even more medical) and the nurses were very gracious about all of my "strange ideas." Now, the nurses are so used to all the upright positions we use that they don't bat an eye at anything. The primary nurse for my client yesterday morning is one of our newest nurses - she actually worked somewhere else for the first 2 years and just started with us a few months ago. Our unit's culture, though, immediately rubbed off on her. I've had 4 births with her so far, and she was reminding me of them yesterday - one standing on the floor in the middle of the room, one in the bathroom on the toilet, one in the bed with the squat bar, and the last one with the client standing on the bed with the big exercise ball in the bed with her. The nurse said she loves calling her old colleagues and telling them about my births!

I must run today. I wimped out last night because I was so tired from getting up at 4 in the morning. I'm supposed to do a speed workout today, and I think I'll try to get to the track to do it.

Geo - I'm glad that at least they moved the squirrel. We are 2 days into kindie here and dd is loving it - but she commented last night that the boys at her table just don't know how to sit still.

moonshine - I'm sure you can finish the 4m, but listen to your body and don't overdo it. Remember, you CAN make the changes you need to make, and even though it may take a while, the first step is taking the first step!
#802 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM

nickarolaberry~ Glad you're ok. That stinks though. I was rear-ended twice in two months and it's just no fun at all. Are you sure you need to replace the car seats? If the collision was low-speed and the air bags didn't deploy, you may not need to.

drjen~you and your hospital sound awesome. I wish I had you around here! I was fairly happy with my hospital/doctor experience (and I really do like my OB), but because I was induced, I was stuck in bed with monitors, which made me opt for the epidural much sooner than I had hoped for because I was so uncomfortable. Oh well, it wasn't a *bad* experience, kwim? Just not the ideal...

rr~Track workout is done. 300's this morning. I was in the middle group that had to do 10 of them (vs. 8 or 12). So we did 4x300 strong (100 recovery) with a full 400 recovery after the 4th one. Then 4x300 stronger with a full 400 recovery again after the 4th one. Then 2x300 hard. It was tough, but felt pretty good!

I just called the ceiling fan company and they are sending me a new fan, but it's back-ordered, so I guess it won't be up in time for my parents' visit. At least I only had to spend 15 minutes on the phone with them this time, as opposed to the hour+ last time when I was missing parts. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the darn thing...guess take the blades back off and put it in the garage for now. :

Off to get my haircut and then we have a playdate at the pool.

#803 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

whiny boy (no playdate due to rain ) but just wanted to post 4.6 soggy miles with my neighbor. Whew.
#804 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I wanted to do things differently (even though I had no experience either, having trained somewhere even more medical) and the nurses were very gracious about all of my "strange ideas." Now, the nurses are so used to all the upright positions we use that they don't bat an eye at anything. The primary nurse for my client yesterday morning is one of our newest nurses - she actually worked somewhere else for the first 2 years and just started with us a few months ago. Our unit's culture, though, immediately rubbed off on her. I've had 4 births with her so far, and she was reminding me of them yesterday - one standing on the floor in the middle of the room, one in the bathroom on the toilet, one in the bed with the squat bar, and the last one with the client standing on the bed with the big exercise ball in the bed with her. The nurse said she loves calling her old colleagues and telling them about my births!
Sounds like when I was a student midwife at an IHS hospital. Almost all the nurses were Cherokee and not happy with the constantly rotating European-American providers. The nurses had their own ideas of how the women should be allowed to labor and birth and it didn't match the new ideas of the E-A providers. I think the nurses finally accepted me when the laboring and naked 18 y/o stood up swaying on the bed and then sat down to do her own perineal massage and delivered the baby and I just stood by and gave her space instead of trying to manage things.
Of course I got chewed out by the E-A peds for not controlling the situation, but mom seemed to be controlling things just fine. The nurses later told me that this is the Cherokee way with birth and they were surprised that this crazy white girl midwife would allow it.

Love those truly mother centered births. Good for you for having the courage to let moms lead.

forward motion report: 15.2 miles on the bike. Ankle is fine with bike and swim. See the doc tomorrow.

mothercat

#805 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM

New here. I've been lurking for a while.

I live at 8500 ft and run 2-3 days a week. I've made it up to about 5 miles, including lots of hills on trails through the beautiful Rocky Mountains!!

I want to increase my mileage, but I'm having such a hard time running further. To run further on the trail I run on would mean I'd have to run up a steep hill at my halfway mark before I turn around at about 2.6 miles. It's hard to wrap my head around such a task before I have to run back the other 2.6 miles that is mostly a gradual uphill.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to increase my energy or something? Should I eat a special way before I run? Should I try to bring water or food with me? Should I slow my pace down so that I might find the uphill part less daunting?

Any advice from you running goddesses would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

I'm planning to go down to the "flatlands" (6,500 ft) to do a non-hilly run this weekend. I'm excited to see what I can do down there!!

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
#806 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM

Do we have any mamas in the St. Louis area? I will be down there late on the 4th-7th.

sacredmama

nickarolaberry~ I am glad that you are okay. Sorry you have to deal with it though.

Planning on yoga at some point today. I got most of my to-do list finished already, so that makes me one happy girl.

#807 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM

JenLove ~ alas, I was in St. Louis area until last summer. Enjoy your visit there; it's a great city .

Welcome sacredmama ~ just keep adding a little more and a little more each day... and before you know it, you'll be turning at the TOP of that big ol' hill rather than somewhere in the middle of it. Happy running!

mothercat ~ you remind me of my MW; she also worked for the IHS when she first began her life in midwifery .

tjsmama ~ your track workout sounds like a good one. I miss training with a group... And I'm glad you're getting the fan issues straightened out.

I took today off, basically because with the Y closed for annual maintenance and an evening of parent meetings (soccer and preschool coop), there is literally no time to run, bike or swim. Oh well...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#808 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM

hi from san diego still. dragged one of my clients out for a 45 minute walk along the bay this morning - very nice to get outside and hope to repeat it tomorrow again before i spend all day sitting on a plane back to the east coast.

sacredmama - when i trail run i normally just walk up the big steep hills, unless i'm trying to do hill sprints or something. simply resume running at the top. consider carrying a water bottle if you'll be gone for a long time but you'll have to decide if it's worth the PITA-ness of carrying it.
#809 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Weary hello here, and I got a huge out of my DDDDC - thanks!

I haven't run since Saturday - combination of crazy workiness and exhaustion. And my insomnia is back, big-time. So I was all set last night for running this morning, but dh had to catch a super-early flight, so no dice. And now he's out of town. So I can probably sneak something in Friday morning, and then I'm doing a trail run Sunday so hopefully I'll get back on track.

I'm not lazy, I'm just tapering.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#810 of 913 Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi Dingos!
I haven't caught up at all but just wanted to say for the record that both Megs and CherylAnn are even sweeter, cooler and more drop dead beautiful in person. I loved meeting them on Sunday, it felt so completely normal to be with them. And I loved Nevie. She is a sweetheart and a cool little daredevil. I got to do some wading with her and she was totally game on for going ever deeper into the crisp cool river (in which Megan was one of 3 swimmers not to need a wetsuit for buoyancy btw). And both CherylAnn and Megs have sweet hotties for dhs.

Okay, my dad and sm have only just arrived so I'd better get on with it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page