Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 913 Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOO HOO JAYGEE!!!!! : awesome mama!

NRR: ds FINALLY sat on the potty three times today. And stood up once. no actual excretions, but this is big time progress. I chalk it up to me finally caving and buying the (insert mega-Disney marketed boy movie) pull-ups and telling him he could wear them when he actually peed. : but if it works.....
#62 of 913 Old 08-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
4 long, slow miles on the beach for Chelsea.
#63 of 913 Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I got first in my AG!!!! And was 5th woman overall!!!!! Here are the splits:

46 1 KRISTINA GOLDEN W 40
Swim 13:36.4 ( 63)
T1 02:18.5 ( 68)
Bike 0:43:43.2 (19.2 mph/ 65)
T2 04:10.4 (133)
Run 0:20:12.8 (06:44.3/ 40) ~ I swear the run was short. There is NO WAY I was that fast!
Final 1:24:01.2

Must get back to family now, but will write a full RR tonight .
aweesome

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#64 of 913 Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Subbing before this thread gets too far away from me.

I actually have some exercise to report. I biked to and from work today, which I believe is about 6 miles total. Not a super intense workout, but nonetheless, I am happy I did it. Plus, it feels good to not drive or take the subway (and it is faster than both).
#65 of 913 Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 PM

Everyone is finally in bed so I have a few minutes to write this out before I crash too.

At 3:00am, I awaken to DD1 telling me she's wet her bed . She's only been dry at night for about 2 weeks though. So I change her jammies and her sheets and get her back to sleep and then I can't sleep. I think I must have just dropped back off at 5:00am when my alarm went off. Ate oatmeal, drank coffee, and drove 1 1/2 hours to the race site. Checked in, racked bike, set up transition, etc. and ran into a few people I knew from Bloomington. The race was at the Indiana Downs horseracing track and the swim was in the big lake right in the middle of the track. We were all worried that it might be kind of manure-y, but it was one of the clearest, cleanest open water swims I've done! Overall, the swim was fine, not super-fast, but at least I didn't have a panic attack like my last tri swim. Ran to transition and put on my cycling shoes, helmet and grabbed the bike to head out onto the road for 14 miles. The beginning was wierd, since we actually had to bike on the sidewalk to get out onto the road, but the rest was clear, flat country roads that I easily maintained 20-22mph on. There were a lot of turns though, which is probably what pulled my bike average down below 20. I passed a lot of people on the bike, and was only passed by two guys. Now you may notice that my transition 2 time is looooooong ~ this is because the rack FELL ON ME! And some guys had to run over and pull it off me ! I did notice that there was only one other bike racked at that point on my agegroup rack and I knew I had to find that woman out on the run and track her down ! The first 1/2 mile of the run was on the horsetrack, which was really nice to run on, then another mile out and back on the roads, followed by the last half mile around the track oval to the finish. Coming back into the track area for the last 1/2 mile, I saw the woman who I needed to pass. She was running pretty slowly and I knew I could get her, so I just turned it on hard with about 200m to the finish chute! I don't think I've ever run that fast, but I passed her in the last 100m or so for first place in the W40-44 AG ! I found out later on that the woman who ended up taking second is actually an ultramarathoner, but had a stress fracture, which is why she was running so slowly. She still kicked my butt on the swim and bike though.

Overall, it was a GREAT race and I'm so happy with my performance overall. Next stop ~ Chicago !!!!! Only 3 weeks to go.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#66 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi y'all. We're just back from vacation. It was fun, but marred by a trip to the ER the first night (Jojo ) and several days of rain. I only ran once and it was miserable. SO HOT! I'm heading out to zumba now and hoping I can make it through with the void of exercise and excess of junk food in the last week.

MB-totally jealous of your orange shoes!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#67 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM

rode into work today despite another day of predicted rain. after riding so much the past two weeks i noticed my clothes fitting a lot better, so it's time to keep it up.

only thing is, i forgot shoes to wear once i got to work.
#68 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

3 miles with my neighbor this morning despite STILL wheezing. Doesn't help that our air quality SUCKS lately. But it was a nice run, I only coughed when we stopped, and we kept it under 10 min miles. hoping to be back at our regular 4.5 or 5 by Wednesday! now off to shower off and then thankfully the pool with HBM.
#69 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM

HBM~what happened with Jojo???

B1~getting on the TM now for you and your family.

RR: just gonna get on and go where it takes me.
#70 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ugh. We had neighbours out drinking and partying in their backyard until 3 a.m this morning. No run for me today, but maybe I will get a bike ride in.
#71 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Lisa - need a friend?

Yeah that! what happened with Jojo?

Shanti - ugh...my revenge is getting my squealing boy up at the crack of dawn...oh let me correct that, my squealing boy just waking up! I have nothing to do with when he wakes up (5:07am this morning :yawn ).

Hoping for a 3 or 4 mile run at lunchtime today.
#72 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM

Ladies, I could use some good vibes, mojo, whatever. I had the worst thing happen on my run today. We had stopped a little over 6 miles in so that the dog and I could get some water. I had pulled over on the side of the trail and had put down a bowl and water for Baxter, when a biker came up from behind us. Baxter lunged out at him, barking (on his leash attached to my wrist, no more than a foot or two). The biker was startled and swerved to avoid him and crashed. He flew right over his handlebars. He had a small laceration above his eye from his glasses (which were bent, but otherwise looked ok). He had some road rash in a few spots, but was mostly complaining about his shoulder hurting. I was very fortunate that there were a couple of really nice passersby who stopped to help because I was so frazzled I couldn't think straight. One of them was a paramedic, too. The guy was very nice about the whole thing, but he was a little loopy. Could have been hitting his head, although it seemed like that may have been his personality a little too. The paramedics and policeman were so great and kept telling me that it was just an accident and not my fault, but I still feel horrible. What worries me is that we may need to help pay his medical bills. Which the nice, generous side of me says that we should. But the slightly more cynical side says that it was an accident which could have just as easily been caused by a squirrel or a cat and we're so flat broke right now that we can't afford it. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. So, I would like to request some positive thoughts that: first and most importantly, that the man's injuries are very minor and that he recovers quickly and completely; and that he's a kind and understanding soul who won't come after us for $. Or if he does, that he only asks us for what is absolutely necessary (as in, doesn't sue us for all our worldly possesions).

rr~10 miles, interrupted, with dog and stroller. Very very slow. Minus the "incident", it took just under 2 hours. My legs are SO sore from volunteering yesterday. I was up and down from a squat for about an hour and a half to two hours while I was body marking, and my inner thighs are completely feeling it. Now that I have this typed out (and feel a little bit better about getting it out) I'm going to go sit in an ice bath.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#73 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 03:10 PM

Oh Gaye, that's awful. Sending good vibes for you.

Jojo is fine-she fell on the first night and split her lip/chin open. She was glued back together and we had to keep her out of the water for 2 days, which is SO not fair at the beach! She'll have a scar, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

We had a fun time swimming with Mamabeth and her kiddies. My legs were toast after my class this morning. How does one week of vacation do that???

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#74 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Oh Gaye, I'm so sorry. I hate when that kind of thing happens. It *is* an accident. It's not like you thought to yourself, hmmm....how can I get my dog to lunge at this biker so he can topple like humpty dumpty? If you end up having to help financially, you guys will find a way. These things always work out somehow .

So I got my run in and y'all!!! My mojo was back!! I actually felt pretty good. Not as good as I've been but much better. I've struggled to even do 10 minute miles lately, even closer to 11. And today? I averaged 4 miles at 9:08. I think my first mile was 9:18, second 9:11, third 8:58, and fourth the change (I think 9:15ish). This is so much improved. What was really nice was that it wasn't until the fourth mile that I really felt tired and so I slowed down...and it wasn't that much that I slowed down!
#75 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM

Hi all! Wow, it has been too long since I posted.

I almost backed out of the Egg Run on Saturday...but I didn't. I helped out at a Friday-night 5K, and that motivated me to get up and run on Saturday. BUT, horrors, I forgot my Garmin! I felt naked. And lost.

But I ran - and my time was under 10-minute miles! I have not run a 5K that fast since before I had kids. I don't know the official time, but it was around 30:30. The race is fairly flat (for Vermont, anyway) but the finish line is on a hill - like, the upside of a hill. That isn't so great. Still, I did it and got my omelet and felt all fast-like.

My motivation has been seriously flagging. I am hoping to buck it up over the next couple of weeks!

NV

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#76 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Good for you, Nancy!

Gaye, how scary! I'm glad his injuries were minor (from what it sounds like.) Here's hoping he's got fabuloso insurance and won't need a dime from you.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#77 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Still not running, but I did do yoga (from YogaToday....mamabeth, you still doing that?). I was able to do most of it, but did take some breaks. Plus, my wrist has been killing me, so I didn't want to stress it too much more. Then, I took a bike ride. 5-6 miles? Not sure exactly and feeling too lazy to map it out. I have to work tonight and am debating if I will bike again. My legs are a bit tired, and I don't want to be spent for my massage sessions, but will see how I feel in an hour or so, when I have to leave.

Non RR: I just paid a $90 fine. ::: For not wearing a seat belt. I ALWAYS wear one, but the one day I waited to put it on because it was so darned hot and our ac is not working in the car, I got stopped. I was so Anyway, it is paid and over with.

Other news, DH got a vas the other week (after talking about doing it for like 2 years) and we tried it out today for the first time. Can't wait till he gets the go ahead that there are no more swimmers in there.

Kerc, you asked about the kitchen? Mostly, but not quite done. We still have counters, backsplash, various finishing work, and painting to do. We have taken a long break, which has been nice, but I am now ready for it to be done. Will have to search through the computer to put together some photos.
#78 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM

gaye~ and :

nancy~I know what you mean about feeling nakey without the Garmin. I'm totally addicted to mine. Great job on your race!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#79 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Oh man..I had my first day of work today! Today was team work and my team went to an inner city mission and did clean up. What is wierd is to be up and out of the house before dh!

My kids are staying with my mom, so I'm going to go for a nice run at the gym.

tjsmama...that is nervewracking!

hbm...glad jojo is ok. good to see you here!

Jaygee... great race!!!
#80 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
bec

Hi, ladies! It's been a crazy summer for me. And I'm sorry to say, I've sort of fallen off the running wagon. I just haven't recovered from that half marathon. I've been feeling so tired and run down. I've been managing around 10 miles or so a week, but not more. On the plus side, I've been taking a strength training class, and we got a wii fit that I've been using a lot, so, I haven't been losing any ground, fitness wise. Just not running like I wanted to be.

Anyway, I'm thinking of giving myself the time until fall, and then will pull myself up by the bootstraps and get a regular schedule going again!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#81 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Lisa - need a friend?

Yeah that! what happened with Jojo?

Shanti - ugh...my revenge is getting my squealing boy up at the crack of dawn...oh let me correct that, my squealing boy just waking up! I have nothing to do with when he wakes up (5:07am this morning :yawn ).

Hoping for a 3 or 4 mile run at lunchtime today.
BBM~thanks mama!! sending you a pm about illness. I'm just waiting to spread the word until I have more information.

Ran 4.19 very relaxed and loved it. Would have gone longer but kids wanted me to play.

10 pull ups so far, looking for more later.
#82 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Hey Dingos,

RM - Use it whenever needed
JayGee - wow! Great times!
Gaye - Here's the good luck fairy for avoiding legal issues! That sucks and I totally relate to your concerns.
Moonshine - Good to see you! Can't wait to see your kitchen! Post pix! Post pix!
HBM - Welcome home! Glad JoJo's ER run wasn't a huge event.
Bec - 10 miles is way more than I've been logging!

I got a huge bowl full of cherries off of our tree today and I'm making some crumble. I cant wait! But now it's time to get dressed for TKD. We're not allowed to ask if we passed our tests so I hope they'll tell us. C says they didn't tell the little kids though , maybe they'll give us a hint.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#83 of 913 Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Gaye - that sucks. hope it turns out okay.

I'm happy to report that on my ride home I did not have to stop once for my heart! at one point I passed three guys on mountain bikes, and thought I was heading for trouble but got through it. then i climbed the big hill, slowly but still climbing the whole time, and didn't have trouble . is it too much to hope that maybe i'll just get better? maybe it's just stress or something and trying to take it down a few notches will improve the situation? hard to say, but i'm awfully happy about my little victory.

off now to work on the new website.
#84 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Wanted to report my best run in ages. Only 4 miles but it felt fast and strong!

I have a question for you swimmers. I am going to attempt lap swimming. I know how to swim but I hear there are special techniques when swimming laps. Any tips? I plan to take lessons at the y this fall but I don't want to wait to take the "plunge"

Gaye that does stink about the biker.

Mamabeth-any more word on the job search?
#85 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Gaye, sorry that happened. hope it all works out for the best, mama.

GMM that's awesome that you felt so good! hoping it was just stress....it can do crazy things to your body.

plady, I can't believe you have a cherry tree! mmmm....

no run today but I'm feeling better (although still have that wheeze way down in my chest, will it ever leave?), so hopefully tomorrow I can do 4.5 or so. modmom, thanks for asking, I actually have an interview today to meet the staff of a church and then Thursday night with the personnell committee! so good news...but I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. It's where I talked about going in May where I could work with young adults/families, which is rare in most churches (as in, most churches don't have a dedicated YA pastor in our circles). Anyway, will have more to update by the end of this week. I am SO hopeful that I will actually have a job this year that I won't have to drive a million miles to.

now, what to wear, what to wear.....
#86 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
I have a question for you swimmers. I am going to attempt lap swimming. I know how to swim but I hear there are special techniques when swimming laps. Any tips? I plan to take lessons at the y this fall but I don't want to wait to take the "plunge"
My best advice woudl be to focus on your form, not speed. Like when doing freestyle, try to keep your tummy pointed o teh bottom of teh pool and your butt to the sky bu keeping your kick even and efficient. Also, try to alternate breathing every 3-5 strokes to keep your body balanced

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#87 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM

1) Fix flat tire on bike
2) Buy pump for bike tires
3) Buy maintenance manual for bike, so I can learn to fix my own tires

Things to do while waiting for ride home
1) Watch the wildlife and add to the life birding list
2) Listen to the rooster crowing
3) Make list of things to do
4) Try to look like I really don't have a flat tire and was too silly not to have already bought a bike pump.

In case you haven't guessed, I was ~4 miles from home on a 12 mile ride on a really nice morning. Just got to the best part of the ride and got a flat. Had to call my 19 y/o DS to come rescue me.
Lesson learned.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#88 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
mothercat, you'll also want to get a spare tube and levers. You can get a bag that fits under your seat so it's always with you. Ask at a bike shop, they'll fix you up.

Anyone seen this? http://gasfreecommute.com/
#89 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Hey Dingos,

RM - Use it whenever needed
Thanks Plady!

RR: none today, have nephews and neice coming over all afternoon and it's raining. Cleaned up house a little (amazingly it was in pretty good shape already) and preparing indoor things for them to do for 3+ hours. Will run tomorrow though!
#90 of 913 Old 08-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Geo - Yeah I saw that site. I think it was on the news here. Cool stuff.

I had my first OB appointment yesterday, and all is well with Baby Sprout. His/her heart rate was in the 150's and nice and strong and loud. : Almost into my 2nd trimester!!! ::

I am babysitting my niece on Thursday, and I'm planning a playdate with some friends who have kiddos her age. I am so excited. We are also going to have a picnic lunch in which I am going to make Lexi some awesome homemade baby food.

Forward motion related - I'm walking to and from work today. Once the humidity drops around here I am going to start running again. I've been feeling really good.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page