Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 31 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all - happy labor day. to start this holiday, i spent the first hour typing up edits to web copy for my real job. but the copywriter is canadian and now the task is finally done and i can hang out with my family and work around the house.

yesterday dh and i rode mountain bikes for about 1.5 hours. it was nice, but i hate being so slow. the heart rate thing is still funky which really affects me while climbing - though i'm okay on the down. one crash which left me with a big old bruise on my leg.

i think i'm going to take it easy today and work on stretching my back and destressing.

BBM - your group is a good idea. girls that age have so many insecurities and questions. i remember being a camp counselor to 13 year olds. what an experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Way to go, Nic. You can also use MapMyRun to see how far you ran. There is a satellite map so you can map anywhere, not just roads. I'm jealous of your "sweet spot" run.

BBM-I also read you were doing a running group! I also would have totally benefited from a group at that age. Like Jaygee, I didn't find much confidence until late 20's/early 30's.

Callie and Bec

We had a fantastic time in Chattanooga over the weekend. The girls just loved it and we all got along really well. I wish we could stay on vacation forever. Honestly though, I am really, really ready for an adults only vacation. I don't think Jojo could handle it yet, but need it. Our women's group is doing a weekend mission trip to the gulf coast in October and it would be a great opportunity, but I would feel so guilty leaving her. I'm pretty sure none of the women would understand if I told them my breastfeeding 2 year old would have a hard time. *sigh*

I'm so excited about the Dingo cookout today! Gotta go to the store and get stuff for taco dip. Mmmmm. I'm also going to a special holiday zumba today. Should be fun.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Enjoy the Dingo cookout! I wish I could be there!

BBM - I also read that as a running group. : But I haven't had real coffee in 4 months and I have preggo brain, so I am excused from being fully conscious at all times. :P I think that group would be great! My cheerleaders that I work with are that age and I can tell you first hand how they all need that boost, but most of all they need to know they're not the only one going through it and how they can deal with their feelings. I really try to get down to that level at the end of every practice when we have "circle time." And at the end of last season, some girls commented on how they think they are more confident because they were on my team. : I'd love to hear more of your ideas.

Jo - Happy Ramadan! May it be all that you need.

The heating element on my dryer went out this weekend. I guess I was manifesting a little too strong that I wanted to hang up a line in my basement to air dry. Now is not a good time and we really don't have the extra money now with property taxes being due, just remodeling a 500 square foot room, and our St. Louis trip coming up. Line drying will work for a little while. But I've been trying not to stress about it. 60 minutes of yoga today should help me let go of it.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM

callie - so sorry to hear about your friend

jo - have a great ramadan! :

bbm - awesome, awesome idea. i say go for it. i could have used something like that at that age. i also read 'running group' also a good idea, if you're so inclined

i looked up the san fran race for the cure date and it is sept 21. i would like to try for it, as i usually do race for cure every year, wherever i am, but i may have to miss it this year. i need to work my way back up to 5k, but it's mostly a traffic/commute/crowd nightmare [the trains don't leave early enough from east bay on sunday to make it in time], so i think i'll look for a smaller, more local 5k race this fall. i hate to miss it but will hope for next year instead.

i hope to dust off the running shoes today :

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 09-01-2008, 01:09 PM

bbm~That sounds like a wonderful idea!!

mamabeth~I wish I was in Atlanta!!! Can I pretend to come? I could really use some real-life dingo time.

Dh ran 8 miles with me this morning. He did really well! He's running a half the day I run the marathon. My run seemed so short today! I can not believe 8 miles is a short run now. Stop the insanity!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Dh ran 8 miles with me this morning. He did really well! He's running a half the day I run the marathon. My run seemed so short today! I can not believe 8 miles is a short run now. Stop the insanity!!
That's how I used to feel about my bike. The first tri I did was 8 miles on bike and it felt long. Now my routine rides are 10-12 miles and feel too short. I love those mornings where I have no appointments (like tomorrow) and can take off for as long as I want. 20-25 feels about right. I used to think my brother was crazy for riding those distances.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 09-01-2008, 02:08 PM
bec

BBM - I also read it as a running group. Then, was thinking, WOW! She's really getting all metaphysical and really making such a great connection between running and self esteem, strength, etc. I know, I'm a little crazed. I think it is a FABULOUS idea! Maybe start at a YMCA or something. This is one of the reasons I was very interested in being a Girl Scout leader. Even though my troop is filled with 7 year olds right now, I really feel like I'm making a difference in their lives. We're really talking about and guiding them into some heavy discussions. My goal and dream is that we are leading them into a place where they feel good about being feminine and don't see any inconsistencies between being a "girly" girl and being tough and strong, brave and fierce. I would love to continue this group as these girls grow and help them navigate the murky waters of adolescence. Maybe, if you can't get this idea off the ground to make money, you could volunteer as a scout leader?

Plady - I meant to wish your sweet baby a fabulous 1st birthday! It hardly seems like a year. Sorry about Grandma missing the boat on the present. Maybe she was just grabbing the first cute thing she saw, and didn't check the size? Or, maybe it was on a hanger that said 12 month?

I haven't run yet, but I will! I will! After this weekend of indulgence, I really, really need to!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Sorry about Grandma missing the boat on the present. Maybe she was just grabbing the first cute thing she saw, and didn't check the size? Or, maybe it was on a hanger that said 12 month?
Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I'm a tiny bit concerned that maybe it's symptomatic though. She gets kind of high strung about gifts, she thinks they are really important and that's what it is but recently her gifts have been getting stranger and stranger. When she was here she brought me a couple of presents, one was a case and cleaning cloth for some super expensive pair of sunglasses (sunglasses not included) and she also brought me a pair of reading glasses, the kind that you get at Walgreens. Except that I don't need reading glasses. So I don't know if she's just stressed or if this could be signs of the beginnings of some sort of dementia. You know? Anyway, it's not a big deal if it's just brain farts, I'm : that that's what's up.

BBM - I agree with everyone else, it's an awesome idea. Maybe if Obama is elected it would be the kind of thing you could get some grant funding to support too? If you do manage to contract your schedule enough to fit in extra childcare will you have any time for yourself?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
:
K is thinking about "running a group" for girls, not a "running group" for girls. Ok, misread that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
but I also think a running group for that age girls would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post

BBM-I also read you were doing a running group!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
BBM - I also read that as a running group. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post

bbm - i also read 'running group' also a good idea, if you're so inclined
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
BBM - I also read it as a running group. Then, was thinking, WOW! She's really getting all metaphysical and really making such a great connection between running and self esteem, strength, etc.
Hmmmm-BBM. Is there a little voice inside your head saying you should start a running group for these girls now?

Plady-Happy Birthday to Ali G!!!! Wow, I can't believe it's been a year already.

Towsonmama-Isn't that the coolest feeling that what once seemed so "out there" is now your long run? I am really excited for your marathon.

Zumba was awesome today. I even got to help lead the class a little. I'm feeling very conflicted. I want to get certified to teach, but the next certification falls on the day I have a commitment in the morning and dh's company picnic in the afternoon. I really don't want to bail on either of those, but I'm anxious to get certified and don't want to wait for the next time (not even scheduled yet). Bummer.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post

Towsonmama-Isn't that the coolest feeling that what once seemed so "out there" is now your long run? I am really excited for your marathon.
Thanks! I'm really going to need dingo support as it gets closer!! I'm excited but terrified.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks yall for all your thoughts and good vibes! I have been out of it still but had a nice run that was cathartic as one of yall said. I am so grateful to have yall's listening ears and supportiveness! Thank you!

Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Hey I drove the distance later on and it was 4.1 miles!!! :

WUH WUH WUH (she yells as she throws a fist into the air while children look very confused )

I like that mapmyrun site, going to have to try that.

I also FINALLY got some shopping success. I have the worst time finding classy, modest, but not frumpy and not super expensive tops to teach in. I teach high school girls who pay *close* attention to my wardrobe . I also like to move around a lot when I teach and I use the board/smartboard all the time. I need to be comfortable (no binding under the arms) and I detest fitted shirts that make my saggy girls look like Jo Jo the Clown is having a bad costume day.

So finally I went to Macy's today (hate the mall!) and scored on the clearance rack...two fly-away style sweaters (with the one button on top, kind of a-line boxy shape). Then at Sears I hit pay dirt on the Lands End clearance table and got 3 sweater sets (!) at half price, plus a pretty 3/4 sleeve t-shirt at 75% off! I had enough left over to get two pairs of shoes (one black, one brown, same loafer style) which look nice but will be comfortable when I'm teaching 5 hours straight (I teach 5 straight morning periods so I can get out and home by 2 pm). At Target I also scored...a new running top and capris, two white t's (for undershirts, under my sweaters) on the clearance table, and a new (but cheap!) skirt from the Mizrahi line that is not weird (sort of a light brown plaid straight skirt below the knee but with a cute pleaty thing on the back hem...I don't do slits, so this allows good movement without looking dweeby).

I haven't had such good luck in...years! And I went BY MYSELF and was home in 2.5 hours.

Almost as good as my run this morning!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM

New September Thread!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post12081447

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

User Tag List