Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
Is knee pain normal for beginning joggers? Is it something I can just work through? Can I keep jogging (please say yes)?
I would say that it is not usually a good idea to ever just work through any chronic running related pain.... everytime I have done that, I've ended up w/ bigger problems later...

I'd say keep icing (2-3 x/day) and take a couple days off running....

Do you have good/new shoes? Do you run on a variety of surfaces or just road/sidewalk?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#182 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM

BBM~ I won't be ready for a half next month. As much as I want to race with you, I'm no where near my racing form. maybe the indy half in May or next year? I'd like to do another full marathon, are you also thinking of doing that sometime?

Jaygee~what pace are you shooting for at the monumental half? You sound way more speedy than I am right now. Looking at running plans for the November race to see if I can do it, just slower. I feel that if I am at 4 and 5 miles several times a week, I might be ready by Nov.?

tjsmom~
#183 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM

hellokitty: It could be a bit of muscle imbalance. You may want to start some injury prevention exericises. A good one for knees; sit on floor with legs straight out ahead of you hands lightly on floor, then keeping leg straight and knee locked, lift one leg about 2 inches of floor(foot flexed) lower... repeat about 25 times, switch legs. I aim for 100 reps on each leg 2xweek. It's been a huge help.
#184 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I'd say keep icing (2-3 x/day) and take a couple days off running....

Do you have good/new shoes? Do you run on a variety of surfaces or just road/sidewalk?
Bummer. OK I'll take a couple days off. *sigh*

I do have good new shoes. I run on the road and some on the grass when it's available - we don't have sidewalks here.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#185 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
hellokitty: It could be a bit of muscle imbalance.
: In my reading about knee issues, I've learned that running builds up the hamstrings, leaving us with relatively weak quads. If your quads are weak, your knees end up taking more of the force than they should, potentially causing problems. Any exercises to build up quads should help. The type of thing chi_mama suggested, plus cycling, wall-sits, etc.

Good luck getting it sorted out! And welcome to running!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#186 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM

I'm done, I'm showered, we're heading out the door.

Can I mention my kid rocks? She made all the beds, decluttered the ENTIRE house, brushed the dog, and scooped poop, while I scrubbed, vaccuumed, dusted, and mopped. I owe her BIG TIME.
#187 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate~mom View Post
Can I mention my kid rocks? She made all the beds, decluttered the ENTIRE house, brushed the dog, and scooped poop, while I scrubbed, vaccuumed, dusted, and mopped. I owe her BIG TIME.

Does she want a trip to northern Minnesota?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#188 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM

Welcome to all the new Dingoes!!!!!

Our internet has been down for 2 days, but I finally got it fixed. We were at Holiday World (water park) all day yesterday anyway. Guys, I am SO SICK. I think this may be why I've been feeling sort of crappy and weak for the last week. Scratchy throat, kind of nauseous, very tired, a bit feverish. I'm hitting it hard with C and Zicam. I haven't done any kind of training in 3 days now, but I can barely move, nevermind do the 30 mile bike I had planned for today. I just need to get better for my race in 17 days .

Runningmommy ~ my aggressive plan in to go 1:45 for the half. We'll see if that happens.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#189 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
: In my reading about knee issues, I've learned that running builds up the hamstrings, leaving us with relatively weak quads. If your quads are weak, your knees end up taking more of the force than they should, potentially causing problems. Any exercises to build up quads should help. The type of thing chi_mama suggested, plus cycling, wall-sits, etc.
: It's also important to make sure that your quads and hamstrings are well stretched. Whenever I have sore knees, I can almost bet that I have not stretched my quads thoroughly enough. And I find that I am really having to put more time into stretching the older I get.

Mamabeth-You know, any friend can be excited for you, but it takes a true friend to be exhausted for you. Have I mentioned lately that I need more sleep?

Kate~mom-that is awesome! I'm really impressed that your dd did all of that.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#190 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Jaygee, that doesn't sound toooooo bad....hmmm, we'll have to chat more!
#191 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM

poppy~ and on the moving stress.

jaygee~ and : to feel better soon. I know you feel like missing out on the training is going to cause problems, but you've got to take care of yourself and let your body heal. At this point, the majority of your training is done, and while it sucks, taking a few days off to recover isn't going to cause a major backslide. Get lots of sleep and lots of fluids, and don't stress yourself out about it, you still have plenty of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
Is knee pain normal for beginning joggers? Is it something I can just work through? Can I keep jogging (please say yes)?
I would say that some pain and discomfort isn't unusual as your body gets used to the stress of pounding on the ground, BUT the fact that it's not going away pretty quickly even with icing afterwards is a little troubling. I would definitely try some quad strengthening exercises to start with. If they don't seem to be helping, your shoes may be part of the problem. Even though they're pretty new, if they're the wrong shoe for you, they can cause issues. Did you go to a good running store where they watch you run in the shoes to make sure that the shoe is doing what it's supposed to? Even if it feels good, if it's not giving you the right kind of support for your foot, you can get problems all the way up the chain. In the meantime, keep hitting it hard with the ice! And welcome aboard!

So, H called the biker last night and talked to him. The biker doesn't want us to file with insurance, I guess just kind of made it sound like if we could help him out a little, it would be helpful. H got the same impression I did of him, that he seems like a nice enough guy and we're leaning towards him being on the up and up but there's just something kind of weird/off about him. H's impression is that he's on a pretty tight budget and just genuinely needs some financial help. I think we're going to talk to a lawyer about what to do if we do decide to give him some $ as a goodwill gesture so that we don't end up assuming any liability. It doesn't sound like the guy would be out to sue us or anything, so that's good, but you just never know these days. Not that he would win if he did, but that's just one more stress we do not need right now!

And more fabulous news, took the dog to the vet for his wellness check today. He needs his teeth cleaned, AND he has a broken tooth that needs extracted. Estimate...$750. When it rains, it pours...

rr~On a MUCH brighter note, I got a good 20 mile bike ride in this morning with DS in the trailer. I think my bike fit helped at least a little. I'm still having some discomfort, but not nearly as much actual pain as I was. I think that was probably my last major workout until after next weekend's tri! I'm currently debating whether or not to sign up for a 10 mile race on Labor Day or not. I can do the distance, but not sure if I'm up for racing it or not. I think I'm going to sign up for the Denver Half-Marathon in October, though. And still contemplating possibly a January full. Shhh...

DS is down for his nap, and the jackhammering construction people seem to be gone today, so I think I'm going to finally take the long overdue afternoon nap I've been trying to get in all week! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#192 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

just back from an hour long run in the woods. i took it easy, lots of walking up hills though i did do 2 x 5 short hill repeats. felt good, though everyhing is soaking wet and nasty. i got very sweaty.

now i'm dealing with work people who just are freaking out about everything. seriously - everyone is so twitchy.
#193 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM

poppy...good luck unpacking..that is hard!

bec..yuck on the bad dreams. I had some last week..related to working again. Mind had poisonous snakes! EWWW!

mb...good vibes!

hbm..you must be tired! lol! school shopping is a pain especially when it's so crowded.

katemom..hope the house sells soon

Jaygee..get well soon!

tj'smama...i can totally sympathize with vet bills!

I read Pillars of the Earth several years ago and really like it. I like reading historical fiction though.

I do knee exercises about 2x a week. The old knees creak terribly.

I did my run today and it was a little easier with the breathing. A bad storm blew through and maybe that cleared the air some.
#194 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Not the 24 hour kind...and both kids got it too. Ugh.

I hear ya Lisa. I don't know about a full, but I'd be willing to do another 1/2 in May. My plan was to try and wait until E was 3 before trying for a marathon again. I just found the last time I did the training it was so hard on the whole family and I really have to take them into consideration. E is so hard and I'm hoping that by 3 he'll be easier and thus easier on the whole family for me to put that kind of training time in. That was longer than I meant it to be...
#195 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM

It's good to hear the quad exercise reminder. I seem to be letting that slip more and more as my running mileage progresses. Now's probably the time I need it more than ever.

My running partner called me in tears yesterday because she tweaked a nerve in her back and could hardly walk!! She seems better today and we're going to stick to our scheduled 10 miles tomorrow. I'm worried about her though.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#196 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks all! I've been doing a lot of stretching but I'll try to add some more in there and make sure I get lots of quad stuff going.

#197 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

the only thing I would add to the quad discussion is to also do some massage on the inner and outer quad, down towards your knee. Sometimes you can pinpoint the exact muscle that is making your knee hurt and it really helps!

sorry about the sickies, y'all. what is UP with these summer colds and such?
#198 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 PM

well, good news. i talked to my dr's office and have my test results. although they showed some irregularity - none of it was really out of the range of normal to give them much concern. that's great, i appreciate the news that i'm unlikely to suffer greatly because of this - but what the heck has been going on and why have i felt so crappy the past month while exercising?

I guess i'll chalk it up to my propensity to handle stress/anxiety in new and interesting ways and refuse to take on anything else (ie no more planning mtn bike festivals) and just stick with the jobs that i already have that i know i can handle.

sigh.
#199 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM

Does anyone use the stick? I can't figure out who is supposed to use it and where/when.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#200 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Does anyone use the stick? I can't figure out who is supposed to use it and where/when.
my BIL swears by it, but I've never tried it....
he uses it pretty routinely when he's building up mileage for a marathon

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#201 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM

So the meeting today was . . .weird? Inconclusive? Not at all helpful to my current stress levels. I did call eksmom and vent at lunchtime and that was really helpful. Y'all, I really need more real life dingoes around me.

bbm - So sorry you aren't feeling well, and the baby bugs, too. Summer illnesses are the worst. I might need to reconsider my working situation, but I'm just not sure. Some parts of it I really love, and then there's my family of course. Despite the crazy hours, my dh is happy here, my kids are happy here, and my whole field is difficult - I wonder what would happen if I uprooted my whole family in the name of job satisfaction and it wasn't any better? To change job situations at this point would definitely mean moving - there are no better situations in the area. I just don't know.

Runningmommy - I don't think I'm depressed. I definitely don't meet the DSM criteria! I'm very happy with most parts of my life, just the job situation is a constant stressor. Is it anti-phospholid that you are dealing with?

JenLove - Keep forgetting to say, what a gorgeous belly bump! And you do remind me so much of Geo's lovely abs!

grnmtnmama - did they say you had some irregular beats that weren't life-threatening? It's common for those to be very symptomatic, especially during stressful life periods, but not to cause any permanent issues.

RR - I ran last night after dark. I put little dd to bed and headed for the treadmill and found dh just starting his run on it! So I headed outside instead. I ran just 3 miles, and it was wonderful. It was dark, and cool, and I felt like I was flying. And I was kind of flying, for me - 1st mile 9:15, 2nd 9:39, third 9:20 - all fast for me! I just needed to run and pound out some frustration. I'm supposed to run a 5K tomorrow night with Justin, but now he has a baseball practice, so I'm not sure how this is going to work. 11 miles planned for Sat before my call starts - hopefully I'll get out there at 6 am and get it done.
#202 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Look on the techniques page - that seems to have good descriptions.

Thanks for the massage tip mamabeth, I'm gonna give that a go.

#203 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM

towsonmama ~ We own the stick. My DH bought it when he ran the STL half. I really loved it when my muscles got sore (especially after weightlifting). It does massage legs like no other. I have seen people use rolling pins though too.

drjen ~

grnmtnmama ~ Do you deal with anxiety/panic attacks at all? When I first started with them exercise (for some ungodly reason) would make them worse. I would come home and feel like I was having a heart attack after a run then go into a panic mode that I was going to die.. and on and on from there. I was just doing *too much*. Once I realized exercise wasn't another "chore" or "to do" it really made it more relaxing and they started tapering off.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#204 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM

So what do red dots in the throat mean? I peered into dd's throat and saw little red dots...
#205 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So what do red dots in the throat mean? I peered into dd's throat and saw little red dots...
I'm not sure about red.. I think white means strep. After having it as a kid twice you would think I'd know...

ETA - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/str...CTION=symptoms

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#206 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Ok, I need more help. I think I either overworked my core (???), or I have some kind of infection all through my chest and back from this cold cough virus.

I've had this cold/cough for about 10 days, and it seems to slowly be getting better. but it had me feeling like crap 7 and 4 days ago.

3 weeks ago I pulled my chest muscle from kneeboarding/tubing on teh lake. So I've been giving upper body a rest at teh gym. My chest feels much better, I don't even notice it hurting. Yesterday, I decided to try upper body work at teh gym. When I did an assisted chin up, i could feel the weak spot.. didn't hurt, but felt sore, so I stopped. Tried tricep dips, that felt sore too, so I stopped, I was able to get bicep curls in and back pull downs no prob.

Today I wore a new nike top... it's a tight tank with a racerback with a built in bra. You gals know, *everybody* wears them at the gym. Honestly, I'm too big to wear it, but when I sucked in my abs, I looked okay in it, so I decided to wear it. I was very conscious to keep my shoulders tall/back, and to keep my stomach engaged all morning.

I took a kickbox today. i try to take kickbox once a week, but this was my 1st time taking a dance like coreographed kickbox class. Similar to teh class I am used to, but less athletic and more steps. it was fun, I felt great, and I kept my HR 130's -150's.

Afterwards, I did the elliptical, and my upperbody felt tight, liek I needed to stretch. So I stretched on the precor stretch machine (upper back, lower back and shoulders) Then I got a blance ball and wrapped myself over that, whcih felt good.

All day I have fet progressivly more sore/painful. It hurts and I can not take a deep breath. I'm also unable to cough, I can do little shallow coughs, but it hurts. I've had a few hiccups, and they are so painful that I yell out (thankfully they were short and infrequent)

I tried to lay down with dd, adn I could not lay on my stomach or side. It just hurts.

I checked web MD, and it says that I could be having a heart attack and go to teh ER ASAP. I don;t think that is it. I've been working my core for 8 months, including trying to draw navel to spine and have good posture. Is it possible that I just overdid it today. Also, usually after I work out, I feel soreness the next day, not right after. COuld I have pulled my core muscles? Or could this virus have settled into my core????

TFr!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#207 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Gigi, do you have a nurse line you can call? I'll admit it, you're scaring me. Of course, I have back problems that start small and spasm bigger and bigger...but this sounds scarier.

I need to share with you guys. So be my rocks, OK? I had a really bad feeling about dh's trip...and I still am not feeling good, but that's not the point...In less than 24 hours, I have lost 2 animals. A turkey overnight, and this evening, a ewe. We got home from work and I sent ds to count sheep while I did other chores, and he reported back that one was down. I had to call around for help to put her down. Looked like tetanus. It advanced really fast, and I am now totally freaked out about the rest of the flock. I am buying CDT vax tomorrow and seeing if my dear neighbor (you know, country neighbor--about 4mi away) can come and help me pin and vax sheep. And of course I got in real close to comfort my girl. And I have not had a tetanus shot in 12 years. And still have not heard from dh. He left Tuesday night.

And running is too painful to do. Waaaahhh.
#208 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM

jooj

#209 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 PM

((((((((((((((((((((1jooj)))))))))))))))))))))
#210 of 913 Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM

1jooj - just to set your mind at ease about one thing - tetanus is not contagious. It needs an anaerobic environment to thrive, and is not passed person to person or critter to person. Personally, I think it's not a bad idea for a farmer to have a tetanus booster anyway - but your sheep probably didn't put you at risk. Many hugs, though, for having to deal with so much while you are single parenting it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page