Run with the Dingoes during the Dog Days of August - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't started the thread in months! Anyway, I was thinking about dog days this morning and thought it would be a good title :

WELCOME to anyone new who wants to attempt forward motion (running, walking, jogging, wogging, or just thinking about it!) in August with the Dingoes!

Some of us are marathoners, some of us are just getting off the couch. Either way, just jump right in and keep on posting...we move pretty fast!

DINGO RACE LIST, kept up by EKSMOM! :

PM me if you'd like me to add something for you!

nancy926 - Fairfax Egg Run 5K - August 2
JayGee - Indiana Downs Sprint Tri - August 3
kate~mom - Lehigh Valley Road Runners Summer Series 5K IV Allentown, PA - August 6
2babybees - Sylvania Tri (international distance) - August 10
mothercat - Sylvania Tri - Olympic distance Tri - August 10
Plady - Friday Harbor 8.8k Loop Run - August 16
tjsmama - Rattlesnake Olympic Tri - August 16
Megs_BK - WunderWoman Sprint Triathlon - August 17
JayGee - Accenture Chicago Triathlon (International Distance) - August 24
Megs_BK - Apple Capital Olympic Triathlon - August 24
Penelope - 5K - August 31
babybugmama - USAF Half Marathon - September 20
shantimama - toronto waterfront half-marathon September 28
Penelope - 10K - September 28
pumpkinseed - 10 miler - September
Naughty Dingo - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 5
nancy926 - Leaf Peepers Half Marathon - October 5
towsonmama - Baltimore Marathon - October 11
kerc - 10K - October 11
DrJen - Chicago Marathon - October 12
SugarAndSun - Steamtown Marathon - October 12
JayGee - Indianapolis Monumental Half-Marathon - November 1
its_our_family - 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day Race (Cincinnati) - November 27
HBM, mamabeth, & Mommabelle - Atlanta Half-Marathon - November 27

The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - Sept 2
muppet729 - Sept 9
Jenlove - mid-February

And last but not least, we have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC username in the request so we know who you are.

We have a cooking blog, a knitting blog and a location map. Send me a PM to find out about and join those.
#2 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 PM

: subbing

for MBelle.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#3 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Here's the race list for the August thread. Please PM me if you'd like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list :

Penelope - 5K - August 31
moonshine - 4 miler - September 6
JayGee - Go Girl Sprint Triathlon - September 6
HelloKitty - 1st Annual Mighty Meehan 5K Run For Research - September 14
babybugmama - USAF Half Marathon - September 20
shantimama - toronto waterfront half-marathon September 28
Penelope - 10K - September 28
pumpkinseed - 10 miler - September
Naughty Dingo - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon - October 5
nancy926 - Leaf Peepers Half Marathon - October 5
towsonmama - Baltimore Marathon - October 11
kerc - 10K - October 11
DrJen - Chicago Marathon - October 12
SugarAndSun - Steamtown Marathon - October 12
HelloKitty - Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women - October 13
kate~mom - Women's 5K Classic (will be doing 5 miler) - October 18
JayGee - Indianapolis Monumental Half-Marathon - November 1
its_our_family - 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day Race (Cincinnati) - November 27
HBM, mamabeth, & Mommabelle - Atlanta Half-Marathon - November 27

The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - Sept 2
muppet729 - Sept 9
Jenlove - mid-February

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send me a PM to get info and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos? See this post.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#4 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 PM

: mbelle
#5 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 PM

:

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM

:

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#7 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#8 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 PM

hi. back from my first forward motion in august. rode 26 miles on my cross bike with my cousin. nice day outside and the weather was perfect for our pace. still having issues, but working to find ways to deal with it.

hope everyone is doing well!
#9 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM

:
#10 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Way too much : and not enough or
#11 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Practical running question, for the hot days: morning or evening? I run better in the morning, but sometimes I can't drag myself out of bed. Evenings are more relaxed, but hotter.

Any brilliant dingo insights? Or ways to get my butt out of bed?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#12 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 PM

I just did the most awful 4 1/2 in my life. Like an idiot I went out in the heat of the day. I thought I was going to die. And I didn't even feel like I could walk because I felt like I needed to get ds out of the sun. Ugh.
#13 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 PM

On hot days I'm all about morning. If possible before 9am.
#14 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Mornings, for sure. I'm usually out the door by 6:15. Sounds insane, I know, but you get used to it.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#15 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Definitely mornings. The heat and humidity are more bearable then.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#16 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Penelope, mornings are cooler, but I just can't do it w/ DD's current sleep patterns... you have to get out by 5:00 AM here to have an enjoyable run and beat the sun and the heat, so I usually wait til right when the sun is going down and then just take it slow, w/ plenty of water!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#17 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Speaking of morning running, would it be stupid to skip breakfast and just use GU to fuel my long runs? I usually eat half a power bar at least an hour before any run longer than 10 miles but I hate having to get up that early just to eat. During last week's 13 miles I ate the power bar two hours before the run and I still felt a little too full for the first 5 miles or so. Will GU alone cause a bonk???

#18 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 PM

M'belle

I moved forward for 6.09 miles today! : I ran the first 3 and then walked the rest. Ali G came with me to hold water and she slept through most of it but it was nice of her to hold my stuff. And it was slow and painful. I wore new shoes which gave me that old bruised feeling under the ball of my left foot and then my right knee started screaming, so that's when I started walking. But it was good to be out and about.

Penelope - I'd try for morning runs. As I recall from my days in warmer climates the pavement is so hot at the end of the day that even if it's cool out it's miserable. But, I know how hard it can be to get away in the morning w/o being overly missed.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#19 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 PM

I prefer evening runs, but it does usually cool down after dusk here. Tomorrow we are heading out at 5:30 am, which sounds nuts. I always wake up 2 hours early and eat a powerbar and then go back to sleep. This crazy method works for me, but I sleep really easily and fall back to sleep quickly, so it works for me. I find if I eat too much closer than my tummy isn't happy. I think you probably need something more than Gu for a long run, but if you have enough time you could always experiment with it for one run, anyway.

My run is mapped out, I have some water freezing in the freezer (I decided to do some frozen bottles and drop them with unfrozen, and then we can always choose whatever temps feels good, or mix or whatever. I am so nervous. I've run 14.39 - 15 is not that much more than that, right?
#20 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Well you could always give it a shot and learn if it doesn't work... That said, I can't go without eating breakfast. I need the fuel too much. But I think that's an individual thing...person to person is different.
#21 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 PM

you are looking at maybe 7 more minutes. You can do anything for 7 minutes!
#22 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

TM, I'd say try it and see if it works...or maybe try a "lighter" half a bar. I eat these really small ones from Melaleuca about 15-20 minutes before I run and they are great. I have to eat before I run, but there's no way I could stomach Gu....but now is the time to try!

In all my excitement about posting the new thread (yes, I'm a little excitement starved over here) I forgot to mention that I finally ran for 30 minutes on the TM . And had, not coincidentally (see my blog) a MUCH better day with the kids today.
#23 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 PM

I wonder if it would help me to do something like that. I don't really do anything special for my long runs. I will carry a bottle of gatorade tomorrow since I think it's going to be insanely hot. I'm making zuchini (sp?) muffins that's why I'm hovering on mdc in case anyone is wondering :
#24 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 PM

Just subbing... and pleased that forward motion is becoming routine for me again :

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#25 of 913 Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Subbing...

penelope~another vote for morning here. I just feel like I have to get my workout done early in the day or I'll come up with too many excuses not to do it! Not to mention the heat...

towson~I think the only way you can find out is to try it, but I would definitely carry another gel or two with you just in case you need it. I need WAY more than that before a long run. Heck, I can't even do a shorter run without more than that, or it's just not pretty. I generally have at least a lunabar and a Stonyfield Farms yogurt smoothie, and for a longer run I add a banana and sometimes a bagel!

drjen~If you've done 14.39, 15 is barely even a blink more! You can TOTALLY do it!

I'm have off days the next two days, not really by choice, but by circumstance. Maybe I'll get lucky and H will be able to hang out here with DS while he naps on Sunday so I can go swim. I haven't been in the pool in WAY too long. : I guess worst case scenario is that I could do my PT home exercises and a good core workout with my poor neglected Bosu. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#26 of 913 Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Speaking of morning running, would it be stupid to skip breakfast and just use GU to fuel my long runs? I usually eat half a power bar at least an hour before any run longer than 10 miles but I hate having to get up that early just to eat. During last week's 13 miles I ate the power bar two hours before the run and I still felt a little too full for the first 5 miles or so. Will GU alone cause a bonk???
I always have to eat before a long run - at least a power bar (or a boston cream donut or i have major issues. i drive 20 minutes to meet my group to run long, though, so i eat as i'm driving. gu alone is only about 100 calories, so that wouldn't do it for me - but if you're full on half a power bar two hours before, you might be ok.
#27 of 913 Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Someone needs to tell my cat that she does NOT need to be fed/let out at 5:45am. I finally have a chance to sleep in today (DH is home!!!) but was rudely awakened by a loud "meow-wow" in my ear. Couldn't get back to sleep after feeding her, so here I am. Yawn.

towsonmama ~ I don't think GU would give me what I need for a long run. I've heard good things about drinking an Ensure 2 hours before, although I haven't tried it myself. Could you put one next to your bed, set the alarm, glug it down, and then go back to sleep? Just an idea....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#28 of 913 Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM

Woohoo!! 15 miles done - and y'all were right, it wasn't that bad. We took the pace slow and walked to drink (and had one emergency potty break - but not me this time, my partner) and still finished under 3 hours. I don't stop my watch once we start, so even with all the breaks we were at like 2:56, so I'm pleased with that. We walked a warm up and cool down, so the total was 15.98 miles - and we were really tempted to go up and down my driveway a couple times to get that even 16, but didn't in the end as I REALLY needed the bathroom by then. My running friend had no issues at all this weekend and throwing up so much last week. Who knows? My dh and younger 2 kids and my running partner all went out for breakfast after and now I have to run to a marching band thing (Catherine is in marching band - she's still out of the country, but I'm going to see her band anyway.)

One quick work on the Ensure - I'd try that on a non-running day first as it's not terribly uncommon to get some loose stools from it if you aren't used to it. Knowing my luck, I'd have a disaster in the middle of a long run!
#29 of 913 Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM

drjen~Congrats on the long run!!! Sounds like it was a great one. Thanks for the Ensure heads up. That could be a disaster!

rr~I ended up putting my Power Bar next to my bed and I ate half when I woke up around 4 a.m. (I went back to sleep for an hour and half afterwards). We ran 13 miles today and my legs are SORE! They haven't felt like this since I ran the half in May.

#30 of 913 Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM

So I did run this morning, got out while it was still in the 70's, and even though I forgot to use my inhaler like a big dummy my breathing was good and I ran at a pretty good clip. It was loads and loads easier than my evening runs have been. Thanks for all the confirmation of that - it's nice to know that it isn't just me being lazy, the heat and humidity really do make a big difference.

Now I'm trying to decide if I really need new running shoes, or if I'm just falling back into my usual pattern of assuming that new shoes will cure whatever ails me.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page