Colon Cleansing while Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it just sounds stupid... I am trying to loose weight and really clean my system and I was wondering what do you guys think of colon cleansing... i mean the natural way, herbs, fiber, stuff from natural stores, etc.

Will it be OK to do it while breastfeeding?

Thanks!

Gigi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 AM

I would personally worry about getting toxins in my breastmilk from cleansing,but thats just me.I would just add more veggies and fruits to your diet for now & I think adding fiber would be beneficial try ground flax..
#3 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 AM

I'm in the same boat in that I think my body could use a good cleanse but I'm breastfeeding. When I asked my naturopath about it she said she wouldn't recommend it until I was all done nursing. She did fully support me in eating really, really "clean" but not trying to cleanse at the same time. I feel like I could use a cleanse to help me eat "cleaner" and let go of some cravings-it's a catch 22.

My ds is 2.5 and just nurses 2-5 times in a 24 hour period, but she still advised against it. I can see that he reacts to what's going on in my body-he'll often get a pimple a few days before my period starts! So, I can see her point, but it's frusterating because I imagine I'll be nursing at least another year.
#4 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
bec

I am in the same boat! Ugh! I really think a cleanse could help me, but am breastfeeding my 2.5 year old. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Is there anything I could do, in addition to just increasing my veggies?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#5 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 AM

My naturopath simply suggested to eats lots of vegies/fruit/whole grains and not eat any refined/processed foods and drink lots of water. I've also been drinking kombucha every day but only about 4-6oz (I forgot to ask her about that but from what I've read I don't think it's too much).
But can I say that the whole "eats lots of vegies/fruit/whole grains and not eat any refined/processed foods" feels almost impossible? Sigh.
#6 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 AM

I am also nursing a 2.5 year old, 2-3 times a day and I just did a cleanse. It was a mild, 7 day cleanse, and I've never done one before. I kind of figured that if there are toxins in me, they are all ready getting into the milk, and while detoxing will release more into the milk, the end result should be less on a daily basis. Like pp mentioned, I felt like I needed it to get me on track to eating "cleaner" and I am also trying to shed some weight so need to rethink my food choices...I found it amazing, I feel great. DD did get a couple pimples, which has never happened before, and so it may have had some effect on her system, but so should all the detoxifying herbs and such, so I don't know...perhaps it was reckless, but I felt i needed to do it, and I'm REALLY glad that I did....

Don't know if that info helps....I am going to stick to the simple eating plan the cleanse suggested, it feels so liberating to eat less and feel great!

Good luck!

sarahfina
#7 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM

I woudl think that teh answer woudl be different depending on teh age of yoru baby. Doing it while nursing a 25+lb toddler who eats solids and whose brain/body is pretty independent is totally different than nursing a baby under 9 months. With a baby under 1 year, I woudl stick to "cleansing" only by eating whole foods that are high in fiber, I wouldn't do anythign herbal at that point.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#8 of 10 Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfina View Post
I am also nursing a 2.5 year old, 2-3 times a day and I just did a cleanse. It was a mild, 7 day cleanse, and I've never done one before. I kind of figured that if there are toxins in me, they are all ready getting into the milk, and while detoxing will release more into the milk, the end result should be less on a daily basis. Like pp mentioned, I felt like I needed it to get me on track to eating "cleaner" and I am also trying to shed some weight so need to rethink my food choices...I found it amazing, I feel great. DD did get a couple pimples, which has never happened before, and so it may have had some effect on her system, but so should all the detoxifying herbs and such, so I don't know...perhaps it was reckless, but I felt i needed to do it, and I'm REALLY glad that I did....

Don't know if that info helps....I am going to stick to the simple eating plan the cleanse suggested, it feels so liberating to eat less and feel great!

Good luck!

sarahfina
sarahfina-
It's been a while since you posted this but my mind keeps on coming back to it and I was wondering what exactly you did for your mild cleanse.
Thanks!
#9 of 10 Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM

I did a 4 day cleanse (It was supposed to be 7, but I only made it 4) of just eating all raw fruits and veggies. (DD is nursing and 2.5)
It was amazing. Even though I only made it 4 days, I noticed a big difference. Just raw fruits and veggies, no herbs or other supplements. i did add a few nuts and a few dried fruits here and there.
http://www.therawdivas.com
I didn't fast on day 1 - I just ate fruit when I was hungry.
I plan on doing another cleanse/detox soon.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#10 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 02:30 AM

Thanks for your reply mamaheids. This would be the best time of year to do a raw fruit/vegetable cleanse.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page