Summer Runs Into Fall and Dingoes Run in September... - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2008, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TY for the tri gear tips. That's exactly what I was thinking... so I will take teh Tyr all in one shirt out of my cart, adn get some tri shorts and that skirt sports skirt w/ race # belt, to put over it.

My dd needs bigger suits for swim team, so while I'm ordering her suits, I might as well get my tri gear......

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM

JenLove~maybe you can start the change at your Y to a more pg. friendly place. You could pave the way for new pg. moms to have a place to exercise comfortably, in more than one way. You are doing a good thing in your community!

Gotta clean house, step son and daughter in law are coming over. We are all going to my dh's work place for an open house (they are usually by security badge only).

Lisa
Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM
bec

Ack, Ike! It's sent lots of rain here. Which would be fine, except our Brownie Troop is supposed to have its kickoff party today, and we were planning a bunch of OUTDOOR activities. Maybe it will clear up enough to let us do our little races (we're having a mini-olympics for an Olympics Tryit), then duck back inside.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM

I don't suppose Po7 is surfing (if she even has power!) but I'm sending out some that she and her family are safe and dry.

I'm off in a few minutes to do some more circuit training with my mom friend who is also a totally obsessed personal trainer.
Also, dh and I decided to go see his mom in St. Louis and then my Dad up in Madison for Thanksgiving. So, 1jooj, I'll PM you as we get closer but if you'll be home that last week of November-first week of December I definitely want to meet up!

okay, time to roll.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Plady - I have to be almost on your way from St. Louis to Madison. Or maybe you could make a Chicago stop and hook up with the dingos there as well?

I'm so lost on personals. My brain is fried from the last 2 weeks. Starting on 8/30, it's been sort of non-stop in the doctor business. But yesterday, I discharged my last clients (the 2 moms and babies born within 30 seconds of each other) And then last night I fell asleep early, and I feel almost human today.

RR - I got up at 6 and ate my power bar and drank some water, and then went back to sleep until 8. I intended to get up right then and run, but got detained. (RM, that one was for you.) I finally hit the treamill around 9. Did 12 miles, plus some warm up and cool down, for a total of 12.38, and 3 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It wasn't so bad, except for kind of boring, but it's raining off and on outside and I had no one to run with, so treadmill it was. Now, only 1 really long run left! 20 miles again Sat, and the following Sat 12 miles, which I'll do with the Team in Training group as I get my race jersey then. Only 7 days until I get to taper!

Dd has marching band competition this afternoon, so I have to get in the shower so we can get moving. I love marching band! This will be her first time marching with the high school band in front of an audience. They were supposed to march at the home football game last night, but it was so went, the woodwind players just held umbrellas for the brass players to do the school song and the National Anthem. She's really excited and nervous at the same time.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I don't suppose Po7 is surfing (if she even has power!) but I'm sending out some that she and her family are safe and dry.
Po7 keeps a blog -- she posted that they're taking Ike as motivation to go visit family 150 miles inland.

drjen, I've got APS time in October. Not sure exactly when, but I'll be in touch.

I tweaked my back on Tuesday evening. It's been better and worse all week, but this morning it's so bad I feel the same way as I did in transition. Not sure what to do... That is, besides whine. I'm doing plenty of that.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:55 PM

DrJen - I am thinking about how to work a Chicago dingo meetup into the plan! We're taking the Amtrak to Chicago so we'll be buzzing past you on the train but we are planning on spending the night of the 25th in the city and doing some museums. I think C will want to go the aquarium too if it is worth it. I've never done any culture there before and I would imagine that the city will be lovely that time of year (in that overdressed for Christmas way). ANYWAY - Yes! I would love to meet up with you and Chelsea and Bec too if we can figure it out. So, I'll keep planning and plotting!

Geo - Epsom salt bath? I know, it's my answer to everything this week. But I always find relief from them myself so... I hope the pain goes away soon.

I just got back from a great workout. Not too long but good and intense and with good company. Ahhhh. Now we're taking the ferry to the next island over that we've never visited for a lunch and lecture with one of the conservation groups.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:11 PM

I got in a decent run this morning before dh and the kids were up... I need to remind him to shut off his stupid alarm clock on Friday night so it doesn't wake me up Saturday morning. I'm finding that with my new f/t job my best days for running are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but if I work at it I can sneak something in mid-week. Four times a week would be perfect for me.

My dd is sick again. She went to be early, after dragging herself through her school carnival, and then woke up with a fever. Poor kid! And poor family - dh is traveling this week so I'm hoping for both unselfish and selfish reasons that she's feeling better by tomorrow.

The carnival organizers asked every family to bring a 2-liter bottle of soda for an auction or something - maybe for use later in the year? I skipped it because I don't feed my kids soda and I don't think the school should be, either. I have to figure out what they're doing there and then bitch to the appropriate person.

As we were walking out we saw a uniformed cop drag an 11 (?) yo kid outside and give him a stern, public, in-your-face lecture. The kid was about to cry. Dh went back after I got upset and asked what was going on and told the cop he had handled it badly. I don't care what he did (which was apparently general rowdiness), adults don't need to intimidate and shame kids. Dh is going to go in on Monday to find the appropriate person and bitch. I can tell we're going to be so popular at this school.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Gigi..in theory I would really like to do that tri with you. I'm really struggling with time management right now though. I've really been wanting to do one!

I got the stomach virus last night.:Puke Urgh. It was brutal.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Loving the multi quote that I recently learned

Quote:
We're taking the Amtrak to Chicago
We've taken Amtrak from Atl to NOLA many times. I love it, and the kids do too. We started taking the train instead of driving whe we had 2 active toddlers ( = too active for 9 hours in a car seat) and a nursling (= likes to nurse more than 10 min every 3 hours). We always get a sleeper car, and it's a ton of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I.. I need to remind him to shut off his stupid alarm clock on Friday night so it doesn't wake me up Saturday morning.
I hate when my dh does that.. usually when he leaves at 5am for a flight, and forgets to turn it off, and the next morning it is still set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Gigi..in theory I would really like to do that tri with you. I'm really struggling with time management right now though. I've really been wanting to do one!

I got the stomach virus last night.:Puke Urgh. It was brutal.
Hope your tummy is better. The tri is 9 months away, and is a very short distance. I doubt you'd be overcommitting if you signed up I haven't sihgned up yet, but I'm 99% sure that I am going to do it!

workout report: I did a 90 min conditioning class... cardio bursts in with dumbells, resistance bands, push ups, etc. It was hard, but good. Then I stayed and did a 30 min core class.

No caffeine for me in the am's works great (for 3 whole days!). I am trying to train with my HR under 155, which has been very do-able with no caffeine. Funny, b/c I was purposefully trying to finish my am coffee to give me more energy to work out. But I am still crashing mid afternoon. I'm taking a B complex supplement and keeping the HR lower to try to help combat this. but if I still feel like death, then I have a cup of coffee, and at least I feel better. The problem for me with the way I am feeling, is that it makes me think that I am hungry and I crave high fat + carb foods (like cheese adn crackers). I'm making a conscious effort to tell myself "you feel bad b/c you are tired, not b/c you are hungry"... but I think I have trained myself to think that this feeling is one of hunger and that food will make me feel better (physically, not in an emotional way). Anyway, I'm going to work on that this month. Thanks for letting me ramble!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:26 PM

. .

Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 PM

:::

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Oh boy!!! Lurkie, lurkie.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Oh boy!!! Lurkie, lurkie.....
:

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM

That's exciting!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Oooh, is it VeganCupcake lurk time???

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:52 PM

ELV !!!

Oh, I just ordered my outfits to do a tri... so now I'm somewhat committed. Who wants to see my cute outfit and great deals?????

shorts
skirt

workout suit
cheap tri bottoms
cheap shorts

::: for retail therapy!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 PM

and for vegancupcake!

gigi~Go on with your good deals, sistah! You are gonna be decked OUT!! Love it!

rr~So today's 14 miles went so well that I got overly cocky and forgot the importance of rehydrating and eating after a long run. All I've had is a bagel, two Starbursts, and a Diet Coke. : Now it's only 6 p.m. and I'm ready for bed. DH is out picking up an obscene amount of carry-out for our date night. Let's hope I perk up!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM

towsonmama, I hope you have just chowed down in a serious way, mama! yipes! talk about not enough fuel....

I need to do a bit more for tomorrow and am beat, but wanted to report 8 miles at 10:14 pace this morning in nasty, nasty, mugginess. And also a SCORE of a new fuel belt at the REI scratch and dent sale. indeed happy retail therapy! nice outfit gigi btw!!!! take care mamas.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post

I need to do a bit more for tomorrow and am beat, but wanted to report 8 miles at 10:14 pace this morning in nasty, nasty, mugginess.
Look at you go! Your longer mileage just kind of crept up.

We just got back from a super nice dinner. All for of us. I love those kind of dinners, when we all have a really good time together.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:58 PM

: : VeganCupcake

3 mi this AM

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-13-2008, 11:14 PM

MB, you are getting super fast :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 PM

Wendy asked me to post an update. Check the blog if you want to see what we are up to.

The eye of hurricane Ike passed about 20 miles east of my house. We are safe and dry atm though.

Thanks for the positive thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I can tell we're going to be so popular at this school.
That's a bummer of a way to have to begin but I am so with you on both counts. Cops shouldn't be doing 'scared straight' with little kids for general rowdiness! And soda? In school? The WORST idea.

:

Okay, I'm being shouted at by someone *just* cute enough to get away with it.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
Wendy asked me to post an update. Check the blog if you want to see what we are up to.

The eye of hurricane Ike passed about 20 miles east of my house. We are safe and dry atm though.

Thanks for the positive thoughts and prayers.
PO7 ~ thank you for posting. I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe and sound .

towsonmama ~ EAT, woman, EAT!!!!!

MB ~ great run .

I put off my run until about 7:30 tonight and then set out at dusk for 8 miles, on a very full stomach. I did it, but my route did involve 3 separate stops for, um, GI issues :. Thank goodness for the Circle K and the movie theatre... Anyway, 8 miles, done. And never again am I running in the dark, after a big dinner, when it's 85 degrees and very humid.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-14-2008, 12:01 AM

po7~So glad your house survived Ike! Good luck tomorrow.

jaygee~Yuck! What a terrible run! It can only go up from there, right?

I ate. And ate. And ate. It was truly gluttonous, although I did manage to refrain from the ice cream. I'm feeling much better but don't know if I'll reach my goal of staying up for Saturday Night Live tonight. I haven't seen it in years but Michael Phelps is hosting and he's from Towson (see username ) so I kind of feel obligated. I have it Tivo'd just in case.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 AM

I have been at the office/birth center all day and tonight. Had 4 prenatal visits this morning, then a client in labor. I don't usually do cervical checks, but after a few hours of steady but not progressing labor, need to see what's going on. She's not dilated at all. Nada, zip, zilch and baby's still a bit high.
She's gone home to get some serious sleep after some decent food. If no changes we may have to transfer in.

Please send good labor vibes in this direction. I'm going to bed.
No forward motion today.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 AM

:

Home at last, home at last, thank god almighty, we're home at last!

Spectacular scenery, relatively painless drive. Scored some fresh sweet corn, peaches, and the cutest little plums I've ever seen. I think I may have to try to make jam or preserves or something with them, there's no way I'm ever going to be able to eat them all, but they were so cute I couldn't resist.

DS is with H for the night, so I get to sleep in tomorrow! : Foot is still feeling good, so I'm going to try to get that 8 miler in finally. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
That's a bummer of a way to have to begin but I am so with you on both counts. Cops shouldn't be doing 'scared straight' with little kids for general rowdiness! And soda? In school? The WORST idea.
My first thought was they were doing kimberlite eruption demonstrations.

Of course when I did it for my class, I bought the coke and mentos.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
:. Scored some fresh sweet corn, peaches, and the cutest little plums I've ever seen. I think I may have to try to make jam or preserves or something with them, :

I started making our own jam last year. I'm not sure how "natural" it is, but I just buy the little jello looking box of pectin at the grocery. It's really easy to make. I don't have canning equippment, but I just buy new lids and bands for my mason jars. I fill teh jars half full of water and microwave until teh water boils, pour water out, pour hot hot jam into jars, put on lids and bands and invert until cool. They always seal very well for me this way. HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.

User Tag List