Summer Runs Into Fall and Dingoes Run in September... - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome minicupcake! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 PM

congrats Catherine!

Lots of fun on teh lake today. No formal exercise, but my arms, back and chest are sore from knee boarding and from holding on to the tube for dear life, LOL. Sore in a good way.. no pulled muscles this time

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:28 PM

WELCOME sweet little cupcake!!!!!! can't wait to hear all about her! enjoy. :

I sat in traffic today on my way home (Sunday, of all things!) bc there was a wreck on the interstate AND construction. : I stopped to shop a bit to let the wreck traffic die down, and then got back on, and then sat and sat and sat some more. so my back is CRAP tonight. anyway. I'm doing 4.5 in the morning to get the kinks out, and I need it.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 AM

ab workout done for today. aiming for yoga class tonight at 6:30 - if i can figure out the kiddo schedule.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
So.... Catherine checked in a little after midnight (EDT, I have no idea what time zone VC is in). No post. C'mon! It's hard to stalk without posts to read!

So, anyways, how to you make a cupcake vegan? Really, I'm not sure what would go in place of the egg...
Health food stores sell egg replacer or you can use applesauce if you are in need of the moisture but not the rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Ladies, I could really use some serious good thoughts, vibes, whatever you can spare. My dad is in a world of hurt right now, physically and financially (probably mentally too, for that matter). I have no idea how he/we are going to get him out of this. And I feel ashamed of myself because I just ignored his phone call because I wasn't feeling up to dealing with him just yet (I have some resentment/anger issues because a major portion of his problems are of his own making). : I need to talk to my sister first. Neither one of us are in a position to help out much financially, and neither one of us really has the room to have him move in with us. And he would drive us absolutely insane, and I am not exaggerating. I don't know what we're going to do. Ugh.

I'm heading out for a long run, hopefully to clear my mind and maybe gain a little perspective.
Good thoughts for you and your Dad. Can I ask what has gotten him where he is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
How you make a Cupcake baby without an egg, I have no idea! Do I have an ovo-vegetarian baby instead?

Tee hee, Cupcake baby arrived Saturday morning at 8:45. She's a she! Oh gosh, I'm getting all weepy typing this. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 20.5 inches long, and very spirited. She's snuffling and squeeking next to me right now.

It was the hardest thing I've ever ever done, but it was amazing.
YOU SOUND GREAT!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Have you named her yet? I am sooooo happy for you!!! ::

Jaygee and Geo~our bible study last night had no power, so it was by candle light (they must have had 20!) and pretty neat. My Dad also lost power yesterday and he is 30 minutes south of me. We were lucky and kept power, but oh the wind!!

Planning a run today, we'll see how that goes!

Busy weekend. Might go to the new CLC to work out and then do some more boxing. I'll need to do my push ups first though due to the soreness.

Lisa
Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Morning ladies!
I literally rolled out of bed this morning unto the floor where I did 10 minutes of yoga to start the day. That was a good idea. Then I rode my bike to the Y and did 30 minutes on the elliptical and rode home for a total of 45 minutes of cardio. Woot!! :

Lisa ~ Bible study by candlelight sounds amazing.

grnmtnmama ~ How has your heart been feeling? Must be doing better - those hill runs sound pretty intense.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM

JenLove, I was thinking of you yesterday actually. How are the dreads coming?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Did my run at the CLC at a slower pace than I had been, but considering the fact that my runs have been so non existant, I"m not ashamed. I ran consecutively for 35 minutes, then a few for cool down and it felt good to be at it again. I'm getting ready to do my push ups now, didn't have time for boxing because ds2 had a ped. visit for croup.

drjen and other drs~does 45mg a day of orapred sound right?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
JenLove, I was thinking of you yesterday actually. How are the dreads coming?
I took out a few rows and then left them since DH hadn't helped. Then I figured I might as well keep them in for the American Idol concert since Jason Castro was my final push to put them in. Now they are still in, but they need to come out. I need an undreading party. It's funny how when DH wanted his out..we had them gone in a week. Mine.. it's been a month? He's taken out one!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM

haha! I know what you mean there with the dh! I'd love to help you out if only we were closer physically. Love how you talk about your baby kicks.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:33 PM

RM~ your candlelit Bible study sounds fun!

Our neighborhood had 8 trees down this morning from the wind gusts. And I had to run a different trail today since there were trees blocking my usual Rail Trail route. My usual Monday running friend and I did just over 4 miles this morning on the paved trail. For some reason it felt slow and crappy, but at least it's done.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-15-2008, 04:36 PM

It was neat! I'm glad that they had so many candles, our house we have 2.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM

RM- 1-2 milligrams per kilogram body weight once or twice a day. So 45 mg would be a good dose for a kid in the 22-45 kg weight range (48-99 lb range) once or twice a day

Geo - When will you know dates? I'd love to hook up with you if at all possible - I could always drive up that way. Marathon weekend for me is the 11th-12th.

VeganCupcake - Congratulations, mama! Can't wait to hear more about her!

mothercat - did your client ever deliver?

tjsmama - Hugs, mama, I'll be thinking about you.

RR- None since the 12 on Sat. We had rain all day yesterday still, and we got water in the basement again - not nearly as much this time. My treadmill is currently up on 4 chairs waiting to be sure it's all dry down there.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks drjen!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 PM

mothercat~Did you ever find out the results on your tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Good thoughts for you and your Dad. Can I ask what has gotten him where he is?
Well, I could write a novel on it, but I'll try to sum it up. He has no steady income and hasn't held a full time job for more than a very short time in years. He's been living out of his car because he lives in one of the most expensive areas in the whole country (Bay area, CA) and can't afford housing. He fell and broke his ankle a couple of nights ago, and after being discharged from the ER (where his pastor took him), he ended up at a Motel 6, where he apparently stays whenever he has enough cash. He's morbidly obese and was completely unable to take care of himself. Apparently the workers there were taking pity on him and bringing him food and drinks, but he couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom because he was in so much pain and didn't have anyone to go fill his prescription for pain meds. My sister convinced him to go back to the ER yesterday any way he could, even if he called 911. He called this morning and has been admitted to the hospital. Even if it's only a broken ankle, if he can't take care of himself, he needs to be somewhere where he can get help. So, in summary, he's unemployed, homeless, completely broke, and now has an injury that's going to prevent him from doing any kind of work for probably 6-8 weeks. We're hoping that by going back to the hospital, he can get social services involved and they can at least figure out what kind of help he's eligible for (which has got to be something). If we can get a short-term plan worked out, my sister is willing to have him come stay with them for a while, at least until he can get a job and find somewhere to live (she lives in one of the cheapest areas in the country). Hmm, that wasn't as short as I intended it to be.

On top of that, our internet has been down pretty much since Saturday and stoopid Comcast refuses to believe that the problem is on their end. So I'm poaching someone in our complex's unsecured wireless network at the moment until H can come over and take a look and call them himself. Grr. :

rr~Got to the Y and swam this morning. I time-trialed my distance for this weekend (750m), and OMG am I slow. Oh well. I also haven't been on my bike in two weeks, so I'm not expecting too much out of this race!

Off to make a plum crisp with my roadside stand bounty. : that it turns out good!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-15-2008, 06:57 PM

::
Baby Cupcake! Happy Babymoon VC!

Ugh Gaye, what a story! Maybe he'll find a new motivation after this? to you and your sister and for your dad, what a place to be.

I did a massive cleaning attack upstairs today and then was playground parent for dd's class at lunch recess today. It was so fun to see all those happy little kids running around. And she seemed super happy that I was there which made it even sweeter. Her teacher is the same one she started with in 1st grade when we first moved here lastyear and she told me that she's so glad we chose to hold her back this year. SHe said she can really see how much happier and easier it all is for C. So that was nice to get the teacher's confirmation too.

:

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Plady, that is a beautiful display of smilie symmetry, rivaling the best work of even poppy and towsonmama

gaye -

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
How you make a Cupcake baby without an egg, I have no idea! Do I have an ovo-vegetarian baby instead?

Tee hee, Cupcake baby arrived Saturday morning at 8:45. She's a she! Oh gosh, I'm getting all weepy typing this. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 20.5 inches long, and very spirited. She's snuffling and squeeking next to me right now.

It was the hardest thing I've ever ever done, but it was amazing.
Congratulations!!!!! I loved those sniffing and squeaking sounds when my babies were newborns - they are so amazing

dh is away for the week and I am doing my best to make it a fun and easy going week for the kids and me. They got homework done in record time this afternoon, we made tacos together for supper and now we are watching "Ballet Shoes."
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Welcome wee Cupcake! Can't wait to hear more about the birth! :

Gaye,

Mandy, glad you are getting out there.

DrJen, yay for dry treadmills. I know you said chairs, but I have this image of it up on cement blocks (must be a Southern thing).

mamabeth, hope your back is feeling better.

RM, glad you are getting to run, and hope DS feels better soon!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
DrJen, yay for dry treadmills. I know you said chairs, but I have this image of it up on cement blocks (must be a Southern thing).
I thought the same thing

You know you are a redneck when....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM

tjsmama~wow, you and your family have a lot going on with your Dad. I'm sorry mama. I'll be thinking of you.

eksmom~glad to see you post. I was just thinking of you today that I don't think I've seen you on here lately. Doing okay?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Plady, that is a beautiful display of smilie symmetry, rivaling the best work of even poppy and towsonmama
:

Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM

Math dingos please help!
My dd has this problem. There is the number 175 in a middle square with four empty squares around it and we are supposed to fill in the missing numbers! This is a worksheet based on Everyday Mathematics.

I have to admit to just cussing a blue streak! Over retarded homework..except the above, which is obviously over my head.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Math dingos please help!
My dd has this problem. There is the number 175 in a middle square with four empty squares around it and we are supposed to fill in the missing numbers! This is a worksheet based on Everyday Mathematics.

I have to admit to just cussing a blue streak! Over retarded homework..except the above, which is obviously over my head.
4 squares around it.. like a cross but 175 is in the middle??? Any other info???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 PM

It's shaped like an X with 175 in the middle. There is no other information.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Math dingos please help!

Is it for 6 yo or 8 yo? It sounds like the kind of thing they do here for math and last year I was stumped a couple times until I saw the pattern. Then it became embarrassingly easy. If my 6 yo brings it home too (you never know!) I'll keep you posted. Though I guess it will be way late your time by then.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:24 PM

maybe:

173 --- 175
--- 175 ---
175 --- 177

I reall have no idea though, but that woudl be the pattern if teh boxes were supposed to be set up like a grid or something

OK, trying to post positive for me today.....

I'm going to be visiting teh Dr's a lot over the next few weeks. I scheduled my baseline mamogram, just to get a baseline since I'm 40

Scale was up 2 today.. making a 4 lb gain over the last 2 months. I am goiving my internal med Dr. one more shot, appt in 1.5 weeks, and then I will go on to an endo

Had my annual eye exam today, I failed the glucoma screening for teh 6th year in a row, but this year the follow up measurements showed that there may be a problem. So I go back in 7 days for 1 more check, and then I get a CAT scan on my eyes.

I've decided that I need to look into the possibility that I have diabetes. So I'm checking my BS 4x a day like I did in pregnancy, adn I will bring thise results with me to the eye dr and my internal med Dr.

I'm not looking forward to getting all medical, I def prefer to stay as "natural" as possible.. which is prob engrained from my PG and birthing days... but I think I'm out of my league and my body is failing me.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
I have to admit I admired Plady's smiley symmetry as well.

kate~mom~ Nice to see ya!

tjsmama~ Wow, what a situation. You must have gained a lot of strength dealing with that over the years. I'll say a prayer for you and your dad tonight.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post

mothercat - did your client ever deliver?
She did, but it didn't seem right to post with tjsmama's news. She needed the support.

The parents kept asking questions and agreed to interventions step by step as needed. Epidural for the severe back pain and a whiff of Pit. She only pushed for 40 minutes. Problem was the baby was quite tangled in the cord (hand, foot, and abdomen) and couldn't get into a better position. Small perineal tear and baby was nursing w/i 20 minutes.
The Ped was great, the nurses were wonderful, the OBs needed to work on communication skills and bedside manner. They did get better as the day wore on.

tjsmama: test results. No, haven't gone in yet. Every time I try to call for an appointment, somebody decides to have a baby. Hope to get it done this week.

fmr: just swimming.
Monday is evidently not my day to swim. It is very disorienting for me to hear squeaky tennis shoes in the water while swimming. Think basketball shoes squeaking on a very sweaty bball court.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 AM

No forward motion today. I have to get my mojo back. I feel sufficiently healed from my fall last week that it can't be my excuse anymore.

As you may have noticed (well, those of you on facebook), I posted a ton of pictures to facebook today. The ones of the reno are especially for all of you!

I am off to bed to snuggle under the covers in this glorious fall air!

User Tag List