Summer Runs Into Fall and Dingoes Run in September... - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Penelope - It will be great! You've run enough of the distance that the race will carry you the extra bit. And that's a great time for a 10K - I bet there will be plenty of folks behind you.

RR - I did another 4ish tonight. This is normally my day off but I worked today, so I didn't try to squeeze in speedwork. Tomorrow is a crazy day - I'll be off in the office, but have to round on a lot of hospitalized folks and need to see my nursing home patients. Then, Justin has a baseball game, Catherine has marching band practice, and Justin has Lego robotics later. My plan is to run with Caroline in the jog stroller after dropping Justin at his warmups for the game (the last game of the season.) Then, 20 on Sat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
The macerated nipples: what about tonic bite reflex? LaLeche has a very good article about the use of craniosacral therapy for very gently adjusting C1/C2 to fix these sorts of breastfeeding problems. I'll try to find the link when I get back this afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I had this EXACT problem with DD2 ~ perfect latch, no tongue tie, but totally painful and bleeding nipples. The chiro came to my house, gently manipulated her skull and like magic, no more problems! I was a total skeptic about chiropractic manipulation, especially for babies, but it was seriously amazing. Mothercat, one more way that you remind me SO MUCH of my midwife !
So would ya'll recommend cranio-sacral or chiropractic for a babe who will hardly sleep and wants to nurse about every 10 minutes? Her trip into the world was a tiny bit difficult, and maybe her head hurts?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 09-18-2008, 02:31 AM

vegan - we did craniosacral with ds who was fussy, bordering on colicky. she also found that he was stuck somewhere in the roof of his mouth and thought it was hurting him to nurse. i think it really helped.

in other news....i need the boot ladies. y'all know what i mean. get on my case.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 AM

Poppy - Here's your boot. ____/ Okay, I know lame boot. Call it sophomore slump, my last smilie masterpiece was bound to be a hard act to follow! Just go on and get out there!

And I hear crying

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM

Yay DrJen! Congratulations on passing your exams. Did I ever tell you that I used to work for the NBME/USMLE? When I tell doctors that, they usually don't like me very much !

VeganCupcake ~ definitely. If she's that fussy at only a few days old.... I'm telling you, it was a miracle for us. DD2 didn't have a difficult birth, but did spend her time in utero jammed up against my right hip.

Run, poppy, run!!!!!

Penelope, you're going to do great!

Last night was my free Pilates class at the studio and WOW! We did an hour of exercises on the Reformer and I felt so stretched out and strong and tall (, at 5'2") when it was done. My friend needs 100 free teaching hours to get certified, so I told her I'd be more than happy to help her out in getting there! Anyone else ever do Pilates on the Reformer? Good stuff!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM

JayGee, the pilates reformer sounds cool. I've never tried one, and when I have seen the reformers, they look very intimidating to me.... They offer free classes/demos at the my gym (which has a pilates/yoga seperate club studio).. maybe I'll try it

Penelope... IME, if you have run 4-5 on a training run, you can do 6.2 in a race. no problem. I find I can do in race about half again what I have trained for.. so train 4, run 6 in race, etc.

Today is my run day. I'm going to pay attention to the mile markers on tehtrail to see how far I go.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Let's see if I can update everyone with smilies........

:

:

:

:

:yawning:

In other words, we got a puppy on Tuesday :

And it is a good thing I already know that I can survive on years of no sleep, so really, a few weeks/months shouldn't be so bad, should it?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Hmmm - what happened to the puppy smilie? Didn't it used to run like crazy??

Wait a minute - my puppy stole the smilie puppy's energy!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Aw. New puppies are the best.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm anxious. Gigi, that's good to know, the ratio you're suggesting, because 4m is my standard run now and it's fun and totally doable. I forget about all the race-day adreneline...

Dr. Jen your schedule amazes me! I'm tired doing half that much stuff!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Shanti ~ Such a cute puppy!!

Poppy ~ Don't think - just run!

Vegan ~ I don't have any experience with babes and the chiropractor, but I do for myself and it was a God-send. It is worth a try because it can't hurt.

Plan is 1 hour of yoga today with my DVD from Netflix, then I really need to send it back.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 AM

Yes, ITA with chiro for babies. Ds got adjusted at 4-5 days old and he was, oh, about a thousand times less fussy as an infant than dd! Make sure you go to someone who has pediatric experience, though!

I am having a hard time getting going. I may head out to a coffee shop for the rest of the morning, something about my house without makes me want to nap, and I need to work. : It's my off day for running but I'm going to try to fit in some yoga later!

katemom, I remember being in total awe of your 50, and I read it again and I STILL am in awe and I also (secretly) want to do an ultra. But I guess I need to get through a road mary without everything blowing out first, eh???
Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
So would ya'll recommend cranio-sacral or chiropractic for a babe who will hardly sleep and wants to nurse about every 10 minutes? Her trip into the world was a tiny bit difficult, and maybe her head hurts?
Definitely!! It is amazing to watch the chiro do their magic. You have this screaming, miserable child and you can just see them totally relax, and then they usually go to sleep for a while because they feel so much better.

One of my birth assistants had a baby last week and went to the chiro yesterday. Left side of the neck was out of alignment, easily fixed and the baby is a different person. Plus he poops just great now.

Balance a nickel on your finger and that's all the more pressure it takes to adjust a baby. Might try massaging some arnica oil or cream into her neck as comfort for now.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Poppy - Here's your boot. ____/ Okay, I know lame boot. Call it sophomore slump, my last smilie masterpiece was bound to be a hard act to follow! Just go on and get out there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Run, poppy, run!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Poppy ~ Don't think - just run!
alright, alright! geez you ladies know how to nag...
:

THANK YOU!
and plady, that's an AWESOME boot! love it

ok then, need to pick a week to start on for C25K ..prob week 2 or 3. will know hopefully today...:

Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Poppy~get your bunz out there!!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM

drjen
here is the link to the article; hth
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan04p126.html

Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Go, Poppy, go! Get out there! :

shanti~What kind of puppy did you get? That looks EXACTLY like Baxter when he was a puppy. I : puppies...all soft and furry and cuddly and cute.

DS woke up this morning demanding milk (normal) and cookies! I have no idea where he got that from, but he was not pleased when I told him that we didn't have any cookies and even if I did, he wasn't getting them for breakfast!

DS and I are going out for a bike ride in a few minutes, since I haven't been on my bike in oh, about 3 weeks, and I have to race on Sunday. Then I'm hoping to get the motivation to try (again) to get the ceiling fan installed in the living room.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM

So while I have all this down time (not) I'm still trying to puzzle out the problem with my ankle. No, haven't gone back for the results yet.

Wouldn't you think if I had a fracture in the foot bones that there would be more consistent symptoms of pain, etc. ? So talked this over with the chiro today when I saw him and told him to not adjust the ankle because it seems to be getting better. Then explained the the achilles part is gone but there is a sometimes ache/pain to the outside behind the malleous and I was wondering about a sprain to the 5 th metatarsal bone. Megs going to know his answer.

Tendonitis of the peroneal tendon.

When I look back, this whole thing started about 20 months ago when I got new running shoes. Because of the pain, they haven't gotten much use, less than 200 miles for sure. Using spencos because of a really high arch, and I went to a really good running store where they know how to fit a shoe. There was some variation of tendonitis and foot/leg pain almost since I got them. I always thought it was just me and some weird foot anatomy, or just because of my weight and being out of shape.
I'm making the appointment to follow up with the family doc but I'm thinking a DPM and custom orthotics for my running shoes is the next best move.
I can put up with immobilization and bracing while this heels if I know there is an accurate diagnosis and an end point. The other dx so far have not quite fit, but seemed close. None of them could account for the unhinged feeling on the outside of my ankle. Fingers crossed.

mothercat

Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 PM

RR ~ 6 miles on the cinder trail at the Y, done .

And weight back under control at 110 as of this morning !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Hi ladies. Just a quick pop-in...

Way to go Doctorjen!

Go on Poppy. Get out there! (OK, use your imagination here. I was going for a kick in the behind...)

Shanti-SO stinking cute!

Penolope-You'll do great at your race. Don't worry about looking slow. Worry about looking like a finisher. Can't wait to hear the report.

I ran this morning with the stroller to and from the grocery store. Sheesh, it was so heavy on the way back and Jojo kept saying , "Run, Mommy, run" every time I'd start to slow down.

Eksmom-can you put me down for this race? I think dd2 will run it with me. Gigi-it's really close to you. Bring your girls and come run with us!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Back from a much shorter than planned bike ride. Stoopid knee. 3 weeks off the bike, and I only got about 3 miles in before it started hurting. : We ended up doing about 11 miles. Guess I'm headed back to the ortho after my race this weekend. Maybe it's time to get this taken care of for good (hopefully) since nothing else has worked.

mothercat~peroneal tendonitis definitely sounds like a possibility. Towsonmama had some similar issues earlier this year, she can probably chime in. The shoes/spenco combination could definitely be factoring in. Custom orthotics are well worth the cost, in my opinion. I spent around $200 for mine, and I've had them for 5 or 6 years, so if you average it out, it's really not THAT expensive, it's just a big up-front cost.

ETA: Shanti, here's a picture of Baxter before we even picked him up from the breeder: http://thebeckmans.com/photos/baxter/picture1605.aspx

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Go on Poppy. Get out there! (OK, use your imagination here. I was going for a kick in the behind...)
someone running full force at my mooning behind - so funny!

ok ladies, the boot officially applied and effective.
i opted for the treadmill today, because i needed to make sure we set it up in our new house properly, etc. i did week 3 of c25k with no difficulty so i probably could have done more, but i just want to ease back in to avoid injury.

if anyone has some leftover home-selling mojo they could send me as well....we sure as h3ll need it could the economy news be any worse these days? wait, i don't want to invite it to be worse...i take that back.

meanwhile, there is a job opening at a company that's based *near* here and it's where a lot of you shop online, i think. i really really would love it but i think the daily commute is too far...

Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
meanwhile, there is a job opening at a company that's based *near* here and it's where a lot of you shop online, i think. i really really would love it but i think the daily commute is too far...
: Can you get a discount for all dingos???? I think I remember where they are (assuming I'm guessing right about the place you are referring). There are loads of buses that go there, or BART + bike?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Non running related:
My mom is a serious issue for me at this time. She is a lifelong alcoholic and frankly does ZERO to take care of her kids. I mean doesn't send anything other than requests for stuff from us. She has a long-time friend who lives near her (from high school and college) and visits frequently. I think maybe it matters that my background is Catholic and my mom's friend is Catholic and well here's the text to the email:

She is in a good place, although she would like to have an apartment. But trust me she cannot survive alone in an apartment. She wants to get near her girls. I don't blame her for wanting that, but she is in a placement that all her basic needs are met. and hopefully some day she will acknowledge that, but until then a note or two would help her to know that she is being thought about. That is important to all of us. We need to be acknowledged. SO please, it would help me when I visit with her to be able to get a happy yes when I ask about you, rather than a dour "NO"

Is it mean for me to immediately think, (a). Geez lay on the guilt trip there. and (b). when was the last f*cking time I heard from here? Oh yeah. There is that postcard my kids have that she sent to me that says something like "Kristin get me out of here" (here = nursing home she's currently placed in). I mean seriously. She lives almost 1500 miles from me and I can't do anything more for her.

On another note: I hate my schedule this fall. I mean what's not to hate: full time at one college, one class at another, dissertation exam this semester. I hardly have time to breathe. I'm really struggling with do I go for a full time college professor type job where I have to work almost as hard as I am right now, but have flexibility of time each day or do I go for a part time consulting job in my field where I don't have daily flexibility but I can (hopefully) specify my hours to match those my kids are at school.

This fall is particularly bad as my husband is working a lot as well. I suggested hiring someone to cut the grass (and therefore freeing up his time to do something else) and he balked. Frankly somehow it doesn't work for me -- I can't work full time AND manage the house (which I do even if I'm the FT person). But he can't step up.

My kids are nuts, I'm nuts and urgh. I just need a nap and a weekend with *one* day where I dont' have to work.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM

kerc

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Kerc-I am sorry you are having mother issues.

Not caught up at all here-I have been recovering from my surgery last week. It unfortunately didn't go well I hemmoraged again They aren't sure what is going on with me. When she went in for the D&C and hysteroscopy-she said my uterus was super soft like I just gave birth-not 13 weeks pp. She wasn't able to remove all of the remaining placenta for fear of perforation. So I have to go to a reproductive endocrinologist to see what is going on-she thinks it is something structural possibly. There is still placenta remaining and a bunch of scar tissue. I also have to go to a hematologist. So we will see. I am ready for all of this to be over. The one awesome thing-I love my dr. She is very much how I envision dr jen to be. Anyway-my outpatient procedure became an overnight stay in the hospital and she jumped through hoops to not only get dd2 to stay with me since I was nursing but also put me on L&D because she didn't want baby G to be exposed to anything

One of these days I will start running again when I am no longer anemic and recovering!!
eta: therefore, eksmom-could you remove my race from the list I am so bummed not to be running it-its such a fantastic race! Dh is probably going to still slog through-even though he hasnt been training too much for it with everything going on. We will go down to watch and cheer him on though!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Way to go poppy!!

kerc

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM

P'seed, .

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM

((((pseed))) and (((kerc))))
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Pumpkinseed kerc I'm thinking of you both.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)

User Tag List