Summer Runs Into Fall and Dingoes Run in September... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was able to finally get out last night,at 7p it was still 86 degrees out. It was officially the hottest day of the year here and us michiganders really are not used to running in that. I was able to get 4 miles in 3run/1 walk. Today the temps are suppose to be on their way down so the plan is to do more today. Despite the weather it was a great run, very needed, started school officially with the girls today. I added a first grader to my load this year. i have to admit to being very tempted to put my oldest in school next year. I am so happy to be able to add to the numbers in Michigan! I'm off to Zumba
#62 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 AM

renep6 ~ It was *hot* around here too yesterday! I'm glad running wasn't on my to do list, but today would be a good day. A high of 73* here.

mamabeth ~ I felt some flutters starting around week 14, I think. At that point I was unsure if that's what it was or not, but now I have no doubt. They're a little bit stronger now and a lot more often.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#63 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Got a couple runs in. Ran 4 ish on the treadmill last night, and then got up and ran an interval work out on the track this am. My legs felt kind of dead this morning - I think it was too soon after running last night (less than 12 hours, actually.) Also, it's supposed to rain and cool down, but it hasn't yet and was still really humid this morning. I'll try to run an easy 3-4 tomorrow, too, and then the big 2-0 on Sat!

mamabeth - I'm using Hal Higdon's intermediate - but just his long runs actually. I originally started out following the whole thing, but couldn't keep up with the midweek stuff. So I do his long runs, the Team in Training speed work outs on Wed, and then aim for 3 easy runs. I've liked the long run plan, though - it builds up gradually enough, with enough fall back weeks that it's felt hard, but not too hard.

JenLove - Awww, baby kicks.

Oh, while I was running on the high school track this morning, the high school marching band was out practicing on a practice field near the track. I got to have a sneak peek at my big girlie during her school day! One of the hardest things for me about my kids getting bigger is not being involved in their minute to minute daily lives. It was so nice to see her!
#64 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM

For any of you that pray or send vibes, etc. , a dear family and good friends of ours in our bible study, had a house fire. All people and animals are safe, but the aftermath is over whelming. DS3 and I have been there to deliver some supplies and help with t he inventory and cleaning. It's going to be a long road. Anyway, they are holding up okay so far. My heart just goes out to them, they really couldn't be better people.

No RR for me today, just no time with trying to help out our friends. Off to go back to their home to help more before time to pick up my kids from school.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!
#65 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM

ugh Lisa - hey do you still need a medical alert tag thingy? I found mine that I never used You would likely want to inscribe on it what you are wearing it for, but that would be easy.

Gotta go, just dropped in to ask Lisa that...
#66 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM
bec

I got my 5 miles in! I'm up to date for the week so far. Just 2 days left. It was hard, though. I have a question. Does anyone know how accurate the heart rate monitors on treadmills is? It's one of those that has the metal on the handles and it gives the HR. Several times during this run, I was feeling just tired and like I was working really hard, but the HR showed that I was just fine. Could it have just been muscle fatigue? Or, could I have been working harder than the TM said I was. Or am I really over thinking this?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#67 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I got my 5 miles in! I'm up to date for the week so far. Just 2 days left. It was hard, though. I have a question. Does anyone know how accurate the heart rate monitors on treadmills is? It's one of those that has the metal on the handles and it gives the HR. Several times during this run, I was feeling just tired and like I was working really hard, but the HR showed that I was just fine. Could it have just been muscle fatigue? Or, could I have been working harder than the TM said I was. Or am I really over thinking this?
I generally don't take those metal bar/heart rate things as being too accurate. But that's just me. Maybe someone else has some insight.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#68 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
lab

Ya know..... I have seen this thread a thousand times and never ventured in.

I love to run. My kids run cross country and I run every chance I get. I used to hit the elliptical or treadmill, but once I started running with my kids' cross country teams - I was hooked!

I'm subbing and lurking!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#69 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM

I always had a hard time getting the machine sensors to pick up my HR. That's why I bought my HRM (which I looooovvvveee)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#70 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender View Post
But I'm confused about how to start without letting my HR get too high. If you can share any of your runner's wisdom, I'd be so grateful.
In short -- I wouldn't really worry about it. Some people (like myself) are just naturally "high" heart rate types. For folks like us, if we tried to use heart rate alone as a way to measure acceptable range of exertion, we may never get off the couch!

Another method that is used is called the Rate of Perceived Exertion, or RPE. Think about your energy output as being on a scale from 1 to 10 -- 1 is sitting down, doing nothing; 10 is escaping from a hungry bear (or something like that :-) ). A good rule of thumb is to keep your RPE between 4 and 6. It's completely subjective -- so whatever YOU feel is a 4 is YOUR four. A more objective way to stay in this range is that you feel like you're working a bit hard, but you can still carry on a conversation.

HTH!

Anyway... I'm kind of caught up on the thread. I reallllly skimmed the last 100 or so posts in August, so I know I'm missing a lot of detail. But I love you all and I'm around.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#71 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM

yeah, what Megs said. And the handles aren't too accurate. I used them during my pregnancy when I did the elliptical and TM a lot, and I'd always get freaked out. But my heart rate just goes really high like Megs and so I rely on RPE too.

thanks DrJen...I really like the Higdon plan and I'm thinking that I'm at a point this fall and spring where I can actually do the "sorta long run" in the middle since J will be at school then and I will work from home that day! it is a lot of mileage though.
#72 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 PM

I always go by RPE. My HR is very low. I'm lucky if I even get over 130.

lab!

Apparently, I've traded in my 2 daughters for two dogs, named Roxy and Maisy ! Those two have been playing pretend dog all day long. It's so funny!

I ran 4 with a friend this morning, and will meet DH at the Y this evening for a swim . I'll have to check out those training plans since my half is less than 2 months away. Gulp.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#73 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
bec

I am suspecting that, but I was able to have a running argument with myself throughout the last 20 minutes about whether I was actually working hard or if I was just being a wimp and needed to suck it up. Apparently, the argument helped me get through the last 2 miles, though, so, inaccurate or not, I guess it worked.

I know, realistically, I should just listen to and believe and trust my body.

#74 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 05:07 PM

Welcome Lab! Don't lurk, just jump right in.

Great Zumba class today. I'm starting to worry that I might have a stress fracture in my shin bone. I though it was shin splints, but it's a certain spot and I am aware of it sometimes when not exercising. I feel like I should probably have it checked out, but I'm afraid of what they might say. Megan, I need you to live in ATL.

At our Y, the treadmills say specifically NOT to use the HR monitors while running. Not sure if that's a safety thing or b/c they're not reliable. I'm just really not that into my heart rate, I guess. I'm such a slacker. :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#75 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM

rode my bike into work and back today - approximately 15 miles. lovely day for it.

MB - i made my own plan based on my schedule and several plans that i looked at. it was always difficult for me to do the mid-week runs, so i always have to improvise. also did my own plan for the crazy off road stuff that i've done.
#76 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM

I think I'm pulling it together. I hope I can get back on here a little more often.

I remember when I was expecting ds I would be suprised at how high my heartrate would show on the elliptical machines and I felt totally fine.

I'm going to have to change plans for the half and speed things up. I think the asthma is getting under control. I took a couple of puffs (inhaler) this morning , and felt totally light headed until about lunch time.
The ladies at work say the track is totally empty about the time we get finished! I have about 45 min to change and do a couple of miles before picking up the kids.

JenLove..I laughed reading about your American Idol evening! Glad you had fun!

RM.. Hugs to your friends. This is not the best of times as it is and a house fire is devastating!

JayGee..love the dog impersonation story!!! It reminds me of a time when dd was 3yo and we were the last people up for communion at church and on the way back down in the center aisle she suddenly drops to all fours and starts acting like a dog! (Very amusing for many people!)
#77 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Ok, I'm having a running schedule change. I sugned my youngest up fro ballet once a week at 9am. parents are not allowed to watch. It's at our local park, with trails, whre I did C25K 2 years ago. (but never completed, adn I bonked every day after wards and gained 5 lbs)++

I keep thinking, "Oh, I'll be able to run once I lose more weight"... but with this schedule change, it makes sense for me to run that 1 day a week. But I hate the bonk feeling, because I feel horrible adn I feel like I'm hungry so I eat and eat and eat.. usually cheese and crackers is what I crave (different from emotional eating cravings, BTW.. which I now can deal with 90% of the time).. this feels more physical, similar to a hangover???

ANyway, does anyone want to suggest a program for me to follow? Or what I was thinking, is just run, watch my HRM, and when I hit 165 (I bonk at 170 for more than a min or so).....at 165 just slow down or walk until my HR gets back to 140, the start running again

I feel like I am cardio wise ready to run for 45 min... I can do pretty high intensity in classes and on the elliptical. And it woudl eb nice to burn 500 cal in 45 min while I am waiting anyway... that woudl free up 2.5 hours of gym/commute time each week

Thoughts? I'm starting tomorrow, adn I will be equipped with my Enell (and 2 otehr bras, LOL) and my best newest Asics, Ipod and HRM

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#78 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Can I come back after being MIA for such a long time?

I have missed the Dingoes but just didn't have time to keep up this summer. I kept thinking of you all and wondering what was up with everyone but had to limit my computer time.

I won't be running the Toronto half this month. I am so bummed - I really wanted to. A number of other things have come up that weekend that have to take priority - and I don't think I am as ready as I would like to be. There will be other chances.

Our summer was so busy - and full of wonderful memories. We traveled and camped for the month of July and that was pretty great - although I think I could write a reb-style-report of one 24 hour stretch of camping in the mountains with a throwing up kid and ravens circling our tent once they smelled it........

My kids are back to school and so am I. I took an unofficial break from school over the summer so now I have to work twice as hard to finish everything on time. I have two exams next month. I have not written an exam since the 1980's.

mommabelle - asthma makes running a challenge for me. The only way I can consistently run is by taking more medication than I am comfortable with. More and more I am focusing on walking and yoga and not pushing myself to be such a runner - but I still run as much as I can. There just always seems to be something to make it difficult whether it is pollen, cold air or smog. I do what I can - but it disappoints me. I take Singulair every night and that helps some. I also use an inhaler right before I run, but if I want to do distance then I have to use my every day inhaler every night on top of that - that adds up to one pill and 4 puffs a day for the pleasure of running - and I always get thrush when I use an inhaler : Doing yoga before a run helps somewhat - but only if the weather is ideal.

babybaugmama - I read your post about your dd. This part jumped out at me -
Quote:
I had her draw a picture of herself and then around herself all the feeling she was having. Then I had her draw a picture of what happened and the feelings, and then a picture of what a better way to handle the situation. Her feelings were almost all anger. But when I tried to draw out the whys of the anger she focused on me and dh. I challenged that as he and I haven't changed in how we are behaving, but she has...so what else is different. This is where she just couldn't do it. I guess it's to be expected developmentally, she's in the now. So I just keep trying and wait until she adjusts to school.
We did a lot of drawing with one of our dd's when she was that age. It did help a lot. We also encountered some of the same blocks that you are. What we eventually realized on our situation was that while we hadn't changed in anything we were doing, our dd's experience and perception of us was changing in that time, so from her perspective we were doing things differently and that was part of the problem. She was growing and changing so much that everything in her word seemed different, and boy, did it get on her nerves! Eventually she settled down and adjusted to the world seeming so different than it had when she was "little."

kerc - wow! on getting this far
#79 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
ANyway, does anyone want to suggest a program for me to follow? Or what I was thinking, is just run, watch my HRM, and when I hit 165 (I bonk at 170 for more than a min or so).....at 165 just slow down or walk until my HR gets back to 140, the start running again

I feel like I am cardio wise ready to run for 45 min... I can do pretty high intensity in classes and on the elliptical. And it woudl eb nice to burn 500 cal in 45 min while I am waiting anyway... that woudl free up 2.5 hours of gym/commute time each week

Thoughts? I'm starting tomorrow, adn I will be equipped with my Enell (and 2 otehr bras, LOL) and my best newest Asics, Ipod and HRM
i would suggest just going slow and enjoying the run outdoors - it's a lot more fun than the treadmill. run with walking breaks. go slow until you can go through a run and feel great at the end. relax. breathe. try to attain and maintain a pace that you can maintain your heart rate around 160.

making aquacotta tonight. tuscan veggie soup with fresh bread and poached eggs. yummo.

did i mention that my ds is taking the school bus now? yup. preschoolers can ride the bus here and they take good care of them. so far it's been a great experience for him.
#80 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 PM

I ran again today!! And yeah, today after the run, I felt it. Legs a bit sore, but just tired. I am going to aim to run again tomorrow, and then only speed walking on Friday, just to condition my lungs a bit more. Today I actually went slower for longer, although covering less distance. Well, I guess if I want to make it 4 miles, slower and longer is the way to do it.

DD2 seems to really like kindergarten, but man, the meltdowns at night are really over the top. After being patient for what I thought was a long time, I started to let it get to me, and well, I am sure that I don't have to tell any of you that that is not the way to make things better. Thankfully DH came home in the midst of dinner, and took care of the girls the rest of the night. I am feeling a bit better now.
#81 of 816 Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Oy, the first couple weeks of K were really tough. There's so much stimulation from all those little bodies in the classroom! Plus we have full-day so dd had a big adjustment. IME, it gets better really quickly, and by the time they're reading and so confident and such big kids it's hard to even remember the rocky first few weeks.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#82 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM

MBelle sent out some greta pics from out Atlanta Dingo cookout. If I can figure out how to get some pics into my photobucket, would the 3 of you mind if I shared the pics here? (I'm thinking of the pic with the 4 of us?)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#83 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Hi Dingos!
So I didn't exactly run on Monday but I did walk with the Burley, the dog and my dad so I think it counts as forward motion. Yesterday was a relatively intense TKD workout. Today I think it is mostly going to be about loading up a trailer with a ton or two of trash. This house came with its very own junk yard complete with scattered appliances, piles of drywall, lumber and the bonus surprise - A Pinto! So we're thinking finally that for the feng shuiness of it we have to suck it up and pay the $.07/lb to get rid of it all. And, unless we change gears at the last minute, I think today is the day for that fun.

Shanti and Moonshine - It's so nice to have you both back in the pack!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#84 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM
bec

So, I think dd3 may be weaned. She didn't nurse to sleep last night, and she hasn't asked this morning yet. She's been trying to give up her nap, so no nursing mid-day, either. I have to admit, I'm pretty pleased with this. She's almost 3 and I'm ready to stop. Still, she's my last, and it is bittersweet. My baby is growing up.

I have my strength training class. And, is this bad? It happens at the same time as curriculum night at dd1's school. The kids are going to a neighbor, and dh is going to curriculum night so I can go to my class. Should I be skipping that and going to curriculum night? I'm having mama guilt because I really would prefer to go to my class.

#85 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Shanti and Moonshine - It's so nice to have you both back in the pack!
Thanks, it is good to be back and have something on topic to contribute.

That said, I am trying to psych myself up for running again today. It is hot and humid and my legs are tired!
#86 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM

I did a run/walk for 50 min this am. More walking than running, and the hills were getting my HR in the 160's just walking. But I feel like I got in a good workout

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#87 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have to share this one with all of you.........

I overheard my two older children while they were working on homework last night. ds was looking through a book and said to his sister,

ds - What's a dingo? I know I have heard that word before.

dd -That is another word for mothers who run. Mama learned about it on the internet.

ds - Isn't it some kind of animal too?

dd - Don't be silly. Mama isn't an animal. Besides, she even has a shirt that says dingo on it with pictures of mothers, not animals, so I must be right.

:
#88 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Back from spin class at the Y. It was ok, but not too exciting. Don't know if it's being closer to sea level, or the instructor (or maybe I'm just a rock star, lol) but it was pretty easy. Probably a combination (of the first two!).

It's our last day in Cincinnati and we have absolutely no plans, which is nice! DS is currently out in the back yard soaking up some grandma attention and playing in the baby pool. Tomorrow we head home for all of about 24 hours before hitting the road to South Dakota!

, shanti! That's hilarious!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#89 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Shanti, that is funny.

Ok, I am going. I really am. Even am going to try it outside with the dog. Here I go....
#90 of 816 Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Shanti, I do believe your last post must be the in the introduction to the Dingo Book!

Trying to decide between more yard work today or coming inside to do laundry & some painting jobs. I'm leaning toward yard work. I planted some new perennials yesterday, so I'm anxious to watch how they take root. I'm just getting the gardening bug...

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page