Summer Runs Into Fall and Dingoes Run in September... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2008, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gigi-Holy crap! I am so proud of your brother!

Jaygee-Did you tell us the results of the dr. visit last week? I hope things are already feeling better.

Nic-How are you feeling?

Moonshine-Dude! I am so freaking proud of you! Hope your back heals quickly.

Gaye-I am so jealous of running during naps. Enjoy!

Plady-

Penelope-I've used Claritin a couple of times w/o side effects. Benadryl and stuff like that makes me crazy and sleepy.

Mandy-Whoa! That is a lot of people in a house. Glad you got a good ride in.

AF has arrived with a personal vendetta this month. I was going to run before zumba this morning, but I now I'm skipping the run and have to leave the class early to get to choir practice. This week is going to be nuts and I am just going to have to be OK with missing some of my regular exercise, except I'm really not OK with it at all. : It helps me maintain the little bit of sanity I have left!

Is the Griffin Patrick run on Sept. 23? I'm not sure of the dates, but I know it's coming up in Sept. Patti

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 AM

CathToria - Major Wow for your brother! You have to tell him there are women all over the country who think he's amazing! I just can't wrap my brain around working at an athletic endeavor for almost 14 hours.

tjsmama - I've always wanted to see Mount Rushmore, now even more since it sounds like it was fun. Bummer about Crazy Horse, though.

towsonmama - I'm so glad the 18 wasn't so bad. I count steps some, too, but I don't let myself so it until I'm near the end or near a water stop, or somehow it starts to be discouraging too. We're getting so close!

RR - I didn't run yesterday. I usually run a little bit the first day after a long run, but my legs were just really tired and a little achy yesterday. I don't know if I can squeeze in a short run today, but hopefully I can.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the props, mamas. Makes me smile.

Small personal satisfaction: so DH ran that race this weekend after not running for something like 20 years. He swam competitively from as a kid to midway through college, and was on the cc team as training in the off season. He has always been good athletically, so I figured he knew what he was doing by signing up for the race. And we live in the city and do a lot of walking (him more than me), so it isn't like he is a couch potato. Anyway, based on the crosstraining section of my new nifty book from RW, I thought that I would rollerblade tomorrow (if the rain holds off). I asked DH if he wanted to go with me. This morning he tells me that there is no way he can go with me, because his legs are too sore, he can barely walk when he gets up in the morning. He is so darn competitive, and can always do these things with such greater ease than I, it was nice for me to know that I am in better shape than him now. Ok, guess I had to get that off my chest and I wouldn't want to tell him that because I am super proud and pleased that he did the race with me.

Ok, enough blather from me.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Forgot to add, if you all see AF, please send her to me! This year I've had 28-29 day cycles pretty regularly except on twice, when dd started as well and I was late. I'm on CD 30 now. Wouldn't bother me, except I'm also 34 days from the marathon and I DO NOT want AF showing up the day of, or even 2 days or less before. Ideally, I want her here and gone for the marathon, but that is starting to look unrealistic. So what sorts of issues do you think men who are training for their first marathon worry about?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
So what sorts of issues do you think men who are training for their first marathon worry about?
Penis bras?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Wow! This really is a "running" thread, get busy for a couple and you have a lot of reading to catch up on.
I have to say this is an awesome thread to be apart of! It is so inspiring hearing all the training you guys are going through. Then when your race day actually comes and the results are posted, what a great feeling of accomplishment. I am in such awe!
I have always run here and there probably once a week just to change up my workouts so I don't get bored. I love running but completely for fun not with any race goals in mind. Michigan for six months of the year isn't the most desirable to run in the great outdoors. But over the summer I have become addicted to getting out and running, 4 kids, 8yrs. of age and younger somehow does that to ya.
Well, I took the plunge and signed up for my first race, just a 5k but it is in 2 weeks! I did it for the race experience. I do have to say following and being apart of this thread should come with a warning label attached to it, it really does make you do crazy things!
For the past month and a half I have been running three to four times a week and feel like I can confidently handle a 5k but with nothing to judge it on I may be going into this blissfully unaware. I am a bundle of nerves but really excited at the same time.
It really does look like nothing compared to the rest of you guys, but it's a start! Yesterday I ran what I consider to be a long run for me, 6 miles, and I am learning what the definition of pace pace pace means. I am consistently able to run three miles in 18 to 21 minutes depending on the route I take. Does anyone want to share if I am going to make a fool out of myself in this race or not?
Well off to do my yoga! Thanks for letting me join in!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Penis bras?
I have always wondered what they had to be concerned with. Yeah, that still doesn't even come close to having to deal with AF or even Pre-AF.:
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Penis bras?
: Yeah, dh gets something he calls 'gingivitis of the nut sack' which is basically chafing, but we get that too so we're still more hardcore, right off the bat.

Moonshine

Today I want to finally demolish the ugly old concrete steps in front of the house so we can finish this dang deck! Anyone have jack hammering tips for me?

Rene - You'll be a racing fool in no time, just wait til you feel that rush of enthusiasm during your 5k, you'll be hooked. I can tell.

Ahhh, I did stretch out last night and boy do I feel sooo much better today. Did y'all see that article in the NY times a while back that suggested stretching was unnecessary and possibly bad for you? : As if!
Okay, my jockey is pulling my hair to get moving.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm back from St. Louis. What a great trip!! I didn't do much exercise, but I managed to eat fairly healthy while I was away. Sprout is doing well and kicking really often now. :

Still catching up on the thread...

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM

I spoke to my brother, who was thrilled to know that I am talking about him all over the internet, LOL. He said that it was teh bike that did him in. He lives right outside New Orleans... where it is flat. totally 100% flat unless you go up a ramp onto a bridge. The hills and the wind just took a toll on his legs.

He said at mile 15 of the run, his *some word/initials* band in his legs just tightened up (he owns an ortherpedic surgical company, so he always gets techinical with the terms, LOL). He said that he could not run at all, so he walked the last 11 miles. He said that he could not even run across teh finish line.

But he's fine today. He plans on doing more in the future

I told him that I was thinking about doing a sprint, and he said "you shoudl totally do it. My friend and I were just talking about all of these fat a$$ed women who were passing us and wondering how they did it" I know he didn't mean it as an insult at all, but we did discuss how many female tri athletes are not the tiny frail little things that you woudl think. ing:

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gigi, that's a hardcore bro you've got. (And on your ticker... It takes a jump right after a vent-fest. Go you.)

I passed a car yesterday with the plate: IronMom. Yeah, if I did that, I'd put it on my car, too.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renep6 View Post
I am consistently able to run three miles in 18 to 21 minutes depending on the route I take. Does anyone want to share if I am going to make a fool out of myself in this race or not?
Um, DUDE! So not going to make a fool of yourself. You make a slow runner like me quite jealous. You're gonna smoke that race and be totally addicted.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 PM

WTG on the LRs this weekend DrJen and towsonmama!!!

Gigi - congrats and for your bro!!

I got a short run in yesterday AM, adn then DH and I had a date nite yesterday (we are doing a babysitting swap thing w/ some friends from work) and it was so much fun

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Oh man, HBM, I'm reading at work and just about spit all over my computer - not to mention the nurses all needing to know right now what's so funny. That was hysterical!

Anyway, AF showed within the hour of my griping here, so it's all good. Now, it'll just be a race to marathon day. If I can have a 28 day cycle, that would be so great! I just don't want to be hassling with trying to figure out what to carry with me.

renep6 - you will in no way make a fool of your self. First of all, you are smoking fast! (lots and lots faster than most of us!) and second of all, even if you were slow, there is always someone slower. Racing is so much fun, but be prepared to really be addicted now! I always say, if I was going to be fast, I would be by now, but racing gives me goals to meet and motivation to plug on through on some of those days when I just don't feel like. Recently, when I'm tired, I just remind myself that running on tired legs is good for building marathon endurance, and that keeps me going.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Wendy, you are so sweet. My ticker has only changed 2.5 lbs in the last month, but thansk for noticing. Only a few more lbs until I'm *just* overweight But it's okay.... even when soo slow, I know that if I stick with it, that I will lose more... and I will look back and not care that it took me 2 years to lose it all instead of 6 months

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Congrats to your brother!!!! even if his choice of wording was not so, um, politically correct. Sorry about the hat...I meant to mention it the day after and totally forgot. But I can get it back to you whenever.

HBM, I will email you about the sale. I don't think I can volunteer, see below, but I am planning on coming on Friday to shop.

woo hoo drjen!!!! You are so ready!!!! can't wait to hear how it goes!

I have three weeks to write about five sermons and plan a Bible study and am starting to sweat it a bit, esp since one of them is a wedding and we are going to SIL's wedding for three days in the middle of it. Plus one is the last one at my church now, and one is the first one at my new church. Pressure, anyone?????? At least ds is now in school, three days a week, and it is happy for all involved.

oh and Penelope, lmk how your sermon goes!!! I'm sure it will be great.

guys have to worry about nipple chafing....now that is true, and gives me the heebie jeebies. but nothing compares to AF. :

I almost forgot, actual RR!!!!! 4.5 this morning, and starting "official" half marathon training. Mbelle, how are the lungs?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM

RR: ds3 and I ran today with the jogger. I am not sure how far or what pace, and that was the plan. We stopped on the way back to the van to feed the fish. He loved it and so did I. That's the memories I want my kids to have of me. We plan on doing it again on Wednesday (bible study tomorrow AM). did a little yoga today while playing in the yard. Tomorrow is push ups.

On the way home from the run, the neighbor called to ask if I could watch their 2yo so that the mother wouldn't try to take her, while they dealt with the situation. The mom is off the wagon again (drugs, etc) and has been kicked out of the house until she seeks treatment daily. So there has been a friend of the mom their (who the mom steals drugs from), then two cop cars, now the mom is back and it doesn't look good. sigh. poor kids.

Okay, todays schedule is way off due to the above. So I'm off to fix lunch (late morning snacks) and make the grocery list. I'll try to go tomorrow.

Love to you ladies, love the race reports of all (brothers too!!).

Lisa
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
I almost forgot, actual RR!!!!! 4.5 this morning, and starting "official" half marathon training.
Hey, me too! When is your half? I ran 4 this morning with a friend and DD2 in the jogger. Good luck with all your sermon work.

Gigi, if it makes you feel better, it's taken me since September 2006 to lose 40 lbs. Close to 2 years of exercising and trying to eat well, some backsliding too. You WILL get there! And congrats again to your brother. Quite an amazing accomplishment. And you should definitely try a sprint tri next summer .

renep6 ~ ummmm... if you can run 3 miles in 18-21 minutes, not only will you have a great race, you'll probably WIN your agegroup at least!!!!! I dream of being that fast.

drjen ~ so glad AF showed up. There is nothing worse than racing with AF. Yuck.

Okay, my personal Dingo question of the day.... what do we all do for birth control????? I'm seriously considering a tubal :. Right now it's "pull and pray". A recipe for disaster. DH keeps saying he's going to get a vasectomy, but can't seem to actually schedule the meeting with the surgeon. I have a family planning appointment with my Gyn next month to discuss my options. So, what do you do and would you recommend it to someone who doesn't want any more children?

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM

You know I love the personal questions! Anyway, dh had a vas after Caroline, and that has worked wonderfully for us, but we were sure we were done (and I made sure he felt sure he was done even if, God forbid, I died in a car accident the next day or something.) I love the no birth control freedom. Before that, we used everything but the IUD, so I have lots of experience! I was most happy with NFP combined with a barrier (condoms usually.) My dh was most happy with the pill, but it makes me feel yucky, and is bad for my sex drive. I do, however, have a condom baby and a cervical cap baby, and a screwed up taking the pill baby, but, I'm glad I have them!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:20 PM

i found myself in my first senior management meeting today ladies! holy smokes i'm sure i'll get kicked out once they hire the VP that will be above me, but can't hardly believe that i'm involved. i definitely have my work cut out for me.

rode into work and my heart did not do anything funny at all well, it dropped 7 bpm when i was almost at the top of the hill, but that was it. I'm making a concerted effort to relax when i have the chance, and to take things off of my plate instead of adding them - and i think it's really helping me.

BC - I had a copper IUD for 4 years or so. very simple and easy. heavier periods and cramping. now i can recommend busy, stressed out lives as very effective birth control

goals for this week:
today - bike commute, evening yoga class
Tuesday - 50 minute trail run, stretching and abs
Wed - cyclocross race - going to try it and see what happens
Thus - run or bike commute, depending on weather, stretch and abs
Friday - bike commute or off depending on weather
Saturday - long run or bike, which sport depends on weather
Sunday - shorter mtn bike
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Wed - cyclocross race - going to try it and see what happens
Ooooooo! Can't wait to hear about this race. I think cyclocross looks like so darned much fun!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Jaygee-Have we seen before and after photos?

BC-I had the Mirena IUD for a while. I would NOT do that again. I know it's a small amount of hormones, but they were brutal for me. Now we use NFP and condoms. DH plans on getting a Vas. maybe next year. I'm really not ready for that step emotionally, but I am kind of looking forward to the freedom of it.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Um Barrier I guess. But it could also be the, oh the toddler is awake, oh wait that's the child....

So I didn't get to give my run report for the weekend. Dh and I and the kids went camping this weekend. But jgmommo drove out to the park (just a couple miles) and M, babysitters daughter ran from her house (2.5 miles) and met us. We headed off together through the woods and into town (3 mi), picked up our raw milk and jogged the quarter of a mile or so to my house to put them in the fridge. Back through the woods to the campsite for water break #2 (#1 was at my house, mostly for M who by then had already run close to 6, us only 3). Then off into John Bryan park trails. The going was pretty rough for M (I felt bad, b/c the trails are my favorite conditions to run!) and we tried to loop back using a flat trail. Wellllll... we picked wrong. Not as up and down and twisty turny...but just. When she was at almost 12.5, I said so...a quarter of a mile later she asks, "have I hit 12 1/2 yet?" She cruised the rest of the way in to finish her 13.1 miles. She did an excellent job. Jgmommo and I took off then for our final 4.5 miles. The first mile was kind of hard until we found our groove. By the end it was feeling okay. I was so impressed by how not hard it was!

Then comes the more fun report. Yesterday we took dd's training wheels off her bike. She rode up and down the street a few times and was very excited for tuesday when we ride bikes to school. Well evening comes and I still had to go out for a run. I asked dd if she wanted to ride her bike for an easy 3. She jumped at the chance. I had to call uncle when we hit the 2.5 point to turn around. She rode 5 miles with ease and had me at an 8:30 pace going out and the best I could do coming back was 8:45. Amazing!!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
I do, however, have a condom baby and a cervical cap baby, and a screwed up taking the pill baby, but, I'm glad I have them!
Oh my. And you're a Healthcare Professional too!
We're doing condoms while dh gets the courage up for a vas. I did the pill until before dd1 was born but I think it messed me up somehow. Now I wouldn't consider anything hormonal.

So, jack hammering is a real upper body workout! I haven't been able to do that much but I managed to work up a sweat so that counts for something right?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
bec

So, I tried to run yesterday, in my old shoes (not the new ones), but only made it .75 of a mile before walking back. I decided to try the bike, and that worked fine. No knee pain with that, so I went out for a long, 2 hour bike ride (laughable compared to Gigi's brother's monster ride, of course sandwiched between more than I have ever swum in my life, and a full marathon!). It felt so good to get moving for a long time. But, I feel like I can sort of wimp out on the bike, and it just doesn't feel like I am getting the workout I do when I run. It was a pretty hilly (for Illinois) route, so I am sure that is part of it.

Anyway, my plan is to just bike at the gym, rather than running this week, and let my knee heal. I rode the bike for an hour at the gym. My knees actually feel really good.

And, wonder of wonders, I found the insoles and the receipt for the shoes that I think are causing the pain in the first place! The only problem, is that the receipt, very clearly states that I have only 15 days for returns. I have had them for not quite a month. I'm going to take them in tomorrow and try, anyway. We'll see. If they don't do something for me, it will be the last time I got there.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:37 PM

I have a copper IUD and what Mandy said. LOVE it all except the heavy periods, and actually that's the only time I ever think about it, which is awesome. No hormones and I swear my "drive" is better. But DH is getting snipped before the end of '08, because we have officially met our deductible this year. : I'm ready for it, bc if we wanted another baby we would adopt and we agree on that.

speaking of I have to go change a GIANT poopy dipe from a giant "baby" who is so not into the potty yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:19 PM

My approach was probably different because we're in the stage where babies (planned or accidental) were fine with us. I was on the pill for about 4 years and then did NFP with no condoms or anything. Then we started charting to get a + instead of avoiding. I swear I will never go back on the pill again. I didn't like the fact that I was putting hormones into my body, and I am so glad I stopped.

I don't know how I'll handle it when we are ready to be in the stage where we don't want kids anymore. Probably NFP with condoms I guess. I won't get my tubes tied or go on any meds or anything, and I would hate to ask DH to get a vas. I don't know.. maybe he'll offer that at some point and it'll be okay.

I swear, I'm going to workout at some point today. I am actually hoping that we ride our bikes to the library to do our homework, which would be about 8 miles total. We'll see...

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM

mb...breathing is getting better. Today I have only used my daily inhaler and have not needed my emergency one, but I can still feel that I'm not quite there yet. However, it is getting better! I'm going to try 3 on the treadmill in a little bit.

I had a copper IUD for awhile. It was convenient, but I had alot of discharge and heavy period so I got it taken out. Eventually we decided that we would not birth any more children and dh had a vas. It is nice! You do need to be emotionally ready for that though.

They are having this magazine fund raiser at school and it is driving. me. crazy! I hate the way they totally manipulate the chidren.
I'm ready for a change. I'm sort of in the wilderness right now without a compass. I know it will all sort out, but urghh..!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Today I want to finally demolish the ugly old concrete steps in front of the house so we can finish this dang deck! Anyone have jack hammering tips for me?
How odd that you should write that today. I was walking down the sidewalk past someone jackhammering. Man oh man, it was loud. And watching the dude's body who was doing it made me think that it would be an awful job. One time thing, ok, but for a living??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post

guys have to worry about nipple chafing....now that is true, and gives me the heebie jeebies. but nothing compares to AF. :
I saw a guy who had that at the race. A bloody circle.

No run today, but I did a brisk walk in Central Park because I had some time to kill. Was very nice. Going to aim for 3.5 M rollerblading tomorrow am.

BC. Dh just had the vas not too long ago. (and still hasn't gotten his count checked so that we know we are in the clear. ) He offered, which is good, because I never would have gotten a tubal. Course, it took him forever to actually get it from the time he said he would. He had an infection "down there" earlier this year, and talked to the doc then about it. I can't wait until we know that it took.

Kids are having a piano lesson and I think I will use the time to take a shower.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
bec

BC - DH had the snip a couple of years ago. I love it!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

User Tag List