Summer Runs Into Fall and Dingoes Run in September... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For teh speed drills,

Our school requested that we do flash cards every night... 10 min 5 nights a week. I was PO'd.... "they have enough homework"...... but my mom, a 3rd grade teacher, talked me into printing them out. I have her look at them most every night so she gets better at the instant answers.

Also, my mom says that once you know addition facts, the subtractin will come.. same with knowing multiplication. So we're working on getting addition perfect more than subtraction, KWIM.

My dd is in 3rd grade, and they are working on subtraction, with only an intro to mulpt, to #5 facts. My dd can get the 50 in 3 mon for additiona nd subtraction, but she has not been tested on mulptlication (and prob woudl not get 50 in 3 min).,... in case this info helps you glas "compare" school to school

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
k

HBM - it might help to try to distinguish what takes her the longest - figuring out how to tackle the problem (eg, x means to multiply so I do this...) or doing the 'math' itself (eg, 9x9=81)
She's just having trouble memorizing. Instead of just knowing the answer, she takes the time to figure it out every time. I think maybe she's just overwhelmed with learning/memorizing so many facts so quickly?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Holy crap. I just got a 92.something % on the 10 times table. I really had to stop and think for some of them. I remember drilling these, was it 5th grade?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Mbelle ~ that sounds so frustrating for both your DD and for you. We're not quite there yet, as DS is only in first grade and so far seems to like math. But, we shall see....

Thank you for all the replies about BC. We did NFP for 2 years before DS was born to avoid, and then to get pregnant. I have very regular cycles, with very obvious signs of ovulation, so it's pretty easy. I actually don't temp at all any more, just go by CM :. Recipe for disaster. I'm 40, DH is almost 45, we have 3 great children, and I just can't fathom the thought of another pregnancy or another 1st year of round the clock nursing and sleep deprivation. Shudder.....

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and ran another 30 on the treadmill this morning. Tonight DH and I have an Air Force function to attend. Lots of retired military, boring speeches and bad food. Blarg.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Back to forward motion (no math involved LOL)

I'm thinking about doing this
http://www.triathlons.net/Atlanta/

anyone want to join me???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Totally OT-Do you think a rotisserie chicken that has a "sell by" date of yesterday is OK to eat?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 PM

yeah totally! There is always a saftey factor built into those things right? They just have to sell it by that date. You can totally eat it. But to be on the safe side I eat it up in a hurry!:
Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
My dd is nearly failing math right now and it's 100% because of speed. They do timed tests and she just can't produce the answers fast enough. It's frustrating and heart-breaking. All of the ones she does answer are correct, but she's only getting about halfway done, which results in grades of 60 or below. It's killing us. We're quizzing math constantly (mostly multiplication, but some addition and subtraction) and she just doesn't seem to speed up. Any ideas?
Quote:
She's just having trouble memorizing. Instead of just knowing the answer, she takes the time to figure it out every time. I think maybe she's just overwhelmed with learning/memorizing so many facts so quickly?

Thanks for the suggestions!
You totally described my ds1. Poor kids! We struggle with math all the time. I work with him a lot on it too. He just can't seem to memorize them no matter what method we try. He has to figure them out all the time. I worry for him.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM

i remember memorizing my time tables in 2nd grade. over and over and over.

math never came easy to me and it took me until high school to work out the way to do well. i always had to do all the homework problems, and then maybe even a couple of the ones that weren't assigned. I had to try them all at least. then i would star the ones that were a problem for me and get to school early the next morning and ask the teacher to help me solve them. for the tests i would do every single homework problem. again. maybe twice if it was really hard. and then i'd get a very high score on the test and the teacher always wondered how someone who had so much trouble could do so well.

going running in 15 minutes - should be fun, it's been raining most of the day.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
You totally described my ds1. Poor kids! We struggle with math all the time. I work with him a lot on it too. He just can't seem to memorize them no matter what method we try. He has to figure them out all the time. I worry for him.
I am LOVING that site! I think I'm going to start Katie on it.

This describes my daughter as well. She has to start from scratch, each time, and it just kills her! She isn't able to really get patterns, either. She knows most of her doubles pretty well. So, 2+2, 3+3, etc. But, can't work it out that if 2+2=4, then 2+3 would be just one more than that. I'm just at a loss as to how to make it click for her.

RR: well, no running. I guess it should say RstoreR! They took my shoes back! Plus, they spent almost an hour fitting me on some shoes that we hope will work. I am now in Asics GT-2130. One guy was starting to give me some static about taking the shoes back because I had run outside, and because it was past the date. But, his, apparent boss stopped him, and after hearing that it was because the kid waiting on me didn't really fit me right, they were both helping me! Huzzah for good customer service!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:10 PM

bec that is awesome

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Bec, I'm runnign on 2130's, adn I love them

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM

bec~That's great, good for you (and the store)! I think that's the shoe I had to take back, but like I said, that was totally my fault. I liked them just fine before I put my re-covered orthotics in them!

Ladies, I am seriously worried about my foot. It is not better today, and in fact is probably a little worse. I made the painful decision not to try my planned long run and instead went to the fitness center in the hotel to see if I could at least do the elliptical. I only got about 15 minutes in before it started hurting. This is not good. I don't want to have to take time off now, for a multitude of reasons (race in 2 weeks, wanted to do that half next month, eating way too much on this vacation, I actually want to run). : I'm sitting here with ice on it right now. Chances were pretty small that I was going to get to run the next two days anyway, but I guess this clinches it. And it's my right foot, so it has to drive us about 800 miles over the next two days. Blork.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 PM

just back from a 45 minute trail run. a little damp, a little wheezy today, but still fun.

Gaye - take it easy on your foot, give it a few days off and see how it goes.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 PM

Gaye- I so feel your pain, today, attempting to multi-task I ran past a chair too quickly and caught my last three toes on my left foot. While my three dd's watched me jump and dance around with extreme pain trying to stiffle back #%*$'s I knew immediately that it was worse than a little stub. I don't think any are broken but I do think that two of them are badly sprained. Can we say swollen and blue almost right away? GGGRRR! There goes my run for today. Maybe I will attempt the bike. That doesn't require toes ,right?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 PM

I guess I'm inadvertantly doing "bricks." I bike dd to school with ds in the burley, then bike to my babysitters house, drop a sleeping E off and pick up M (babysitters daughter) and go out for a 6 mile run which includes a 1/2 mile hill! Which felt the best it has since we began training hills (we even talked up the hill...granted it was, "so...huff huff, then I, huff huff..."). Then wait a few minutes for ds to wake up, load him in the burley and back home on the bike. Wait 15 minutes and then back on the bike to pick dd up from school...about 12 miles of biking, 6.15 of running.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 PM

plady~: That's me whistling at your blog photos!

gaye~ I hope your foot isn't anything serious. Take care of yourself.

gaye, megs, drjen, anyone??? I have a blood blister on the ball of my foot that I'm pretty sure was caused by my orthotics. The problem is that the marathon training schedule is so intense that there's no time to rest and let the blister heal so instead it keeps getting more and more aggravated. I just got back from 5 miles and the pain is out of this world. I hate to mess around with my orthotics this close to the race. Am I doing any peramanent or potentially really bad damage by continuing to run on it? Is there anything I can do to make it heal more quickly? At the risk of totally grossing y'all out I put a couple of pictures of it here. (Don't say I didn't warn you--a runner's foot is NOT a pretty thang!)

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM

I love math. Put plain arithmetic, fractions, or plane geometry in front of me and I'm in 7th heaven. Still use it when I'm adapting quilt patterns or gardening.

Of my 4 dc none of them enjoy math; DH will do anything to avoid it. Poor DD is currently doing a college algebra course and just absolutely hates it. Seriously stressing her out.

DS3 OTOH is very intuitive when it comes to math. He looks at a problem and knows the correct answer, especially with geometry, but having to write out the problem solving is just beyond him. He doesn't understand why it is necessary if he knows the answer and the answer is correct.

He recently took a college placement test that was almost exclusively fractions and did poorly. He does finish carpentry and furniture building so works with small fractions all the time, but the manipulation of fractions does not compute.

So what I learned is that there are 7 types of intelligence (old Mothering article). Some are math related and some are relationship related. Some are kinesthetic and others are visual. Even in good schools most of the learning beyond the primary grades is more focused on paper and pencil. Homeschooling allows learners with other types of intelligence to learn the same concepts in a myriad of other ways. Some people are just more analytical and need time to take apart the problem. I'm not sure that knowing how the equation works is necessary to knowing the correct answer. (Can anyone explain how the equation works for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius or back again)?

I don't think that we honor or respect that children are so different in their types of intelligence and learning styles. My 2 cents.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Today's forward motion report involves mayhem at the pool.

I got there later than usual so there were only 2 lanes open.
So I start in on the TI drills and almost to the end of one length realize there is someone standing in my lane. It was an older lady who was exercising. She thought the lifeguards were making us all share lanes, because there was also a class going on in the shallow end at the same time.
Turns out they had to evacuate the smaller leisure pool where the older ladies exercise because one of the 25 screaming 7 years old girls had an accident in there. It was actually a buckeye that one of them brought to the pool and had dropped in the water. Then add in the weightlifter who decided to do a bit of crosstraining. I have never seen someone attack the water like that. It was like he was doing cannonballs the entire length of the pool and at the end of a length he was breathing so hard I thought he was going to have a heart attack.

I finally gave up when my pager went off and I needed to return the call. Only to find that the 25 screaming 7 year old girls were now populating the locker room and their little brothers were on the adult side staring at all the naked old ladies trying to get dressed after class.

That should teach me to get to the pool late!
Most of my drills got done anyway.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Hereis a pic of me from the race.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Hereis a pic of me from the race.
in teh gray shirt?

mothercat, your pool description is very funny!!!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Hmmm I've run with blood blisters on the side where it's callused before but it didn't cause me the kind of pain you're describing. I wonder if you could lance it and let it drain? I would listen to those more medically inclined than I though.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 PM

I think DH and I are finally settled in at home since our trip. I'm finally caught up on cleaning, putting things away, and just feeling like I'm home and breathing a sigh of relief.

I went for a walk with my dog, and we ended up playing tag in the field so I got some running in too. It sure felt good in the cool, crisp air.

Blood blisters - I've had them before and I have drained them and ran with bandaids on them. But it wasn't as painful as you describe.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
So what I learned is that there are 7 types of intelligence (old Mothering article).

I don't think that we honor or respect that children are so different in their types of intelligence and learning styles. My 2 cents.

mothercat
This is why I love, love, love the school my daughter is in right now! They not only recognize multiple intelligences, but they base their entire curriculum to include styles that teach to each of these different ways of learning. I love that they are doing that!

Blood Blisters - Ouch! That looks really painful. I used to get a blister type bandaid that really protected blisters enough for them to heal. I wonder if you could get something like that and try to let it air or go shoeless as much of the time you aren't running as possible?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
in teh gray shirt?
yea, I guess it looks grey. the first one (not the one waving hi).
Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 AM

towsonmama - the picture is blurry, so I can't quite tell color. If it is just blister/blood blister I'd poke a small hole in the skin and drain as much out of it as you can, and then protect it really well while it heals (thick blister bandages, or even a bandaid and wrapping once around the foot with roll guaze to keep it from rubbing and slipping.) The pain makes me worry that it is infected, and I can't tell the color well from the picture. If you got out cloudy/milky fluid, I'd see a doc and see about getting an antibiotic. If it's non-infected you should see just blood, bloody yellowish fluid, or clear yellow fluid.

Mommabelle - ugh, school stuff sucks. I hope you can get somewhere talking to the staff at the school. My kids do math fine for some reason (probably my husband's genes) but they all struggle with time management and actually getting the work home, done, and back to school. We had a big discussion with older dd tonight as she is digging herself a hole she may never get out of in her accelerated English class. I don't get what her issue is - she loves the teacher, says the class is fun, and then just doesn't do the work. Sigh.

I just ran 4+ on the treadmill. I have to go jump in the shower, as labor and delivery just called to give me a heads up that my 1st time mama due yesterday and my 3rd time mama due last Thurs both just called to say they are contracting and will be in shortly. So, we'll see how the night goes and whether I get my run in tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 AM

towson~ Agreeing with drjen on this one. Try draining it and see if that helps. Sometimes you just need to relieve the pressure to make it feel better. My usual method of blister protection on the foot is somewhat complicated but works really well. 2nd Skin (you can buy at the drug store, usually with the burn medications and products, cut to size and save the rest of the sheet...it's expensive). Tuf-skin or other sticky spray to help hold it on and keep it from sliding. Band-aid on top of that. Stretchy tape to hold the band-aid on.

Also, I would definitely take your orthotic back to whoever made it, because it should NOT be causing a blister that big, especially under a big callous like that. Maybe it needs filed down a bit or something.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 09-10-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
but coincidental that you mentioned it, I was just looking at these books in Borders by the girl that was Winnie in the Wonder Years - have yall seen these - "math doesn't suck" "kiss my math" ? - cutesy but about making math accessible to girls

I don't know if they are totally stupid or degrading or not, but do you think something like that might help?
I've heard that she was a real math genius so I doubt they'd be too bad.

Quote:
it does suck because doing repetitive problems is boring and mind numbing at times, but that really is how you get faster.
That's math you're talking about, not running, right?

Quote:
Totally OT-Do you think a rotisserie chicken that has a "sell by" date of yesterday is OK to eat?
Yes!

towson - eeewwwww. I just had to rubberneck, I'd probably pop it and then regret having popped it and be all freaked that it was going to get infected. btw I LOVE your blog. You are so funny!

Mothercat - when you said they closed the pool because of one of the girls pooping? and then said there was a weightlifter crosstraining in it too I : thinking you meant, you know, crosstraining and wondering what they heck kind of place you're swimming in!

Gaye - I hope your foot heals up with just some rest.

Bec - Go running store! That's such a relief!

RR: yeah right, this is me I'm talking about. But I did go kayaking in a single for an hour today. It was kind of fun, kind of lonely. I feel like I really want to love kayaking but I haven't quite caught the spark yet. But I'll have to keep trying because I do live on an island after all! Anyway, I was trying to channel BBM's fortitude because AliG had one of her worst nights ever last night and all day I felt like I was underwater. And I wore my dingo shirt. SO it's all relevant here, right?

Moonshine - Great picture!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM

moonshine, you are hot

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Sneaking in before I rush off to shower to say I had a really good four miles this morning! I'm worried that it's getting darker in the mornings, though - I have a small window for a.m. running and I'm a little hesitant to run very far in the dark.

But I did a full two miles at a comfortable pace before I even thought about a break to walk - excellent because ususally my asthma slows me down more than that. It was amazing to think how far I've come in the 11 months since I started running!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

User Tag List