Dingos Run, Walk, Wog, Jog, Swim, Bike and Stretch into October! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Regular watch, or GPS watch? I have a Garmin 205, which I like. I'd get a Garmin 405 if I had to do it again ~ it's got HRM capabilities and is a little smaller than the 205. That said, I LOVE being able to track distance and pace while running and biking.
Is HR worth 200 bucks?

I'd love to get a GPS watch. I think it would be fun (plus he's a bit of a gear nerd). I'm not sure if he'd monitor HR.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#62 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Is HR worth 200 bucks?
For me, no. The 205 works great for me, it's just a little clunky on my bony little wrists . I think the 405 fits a little more like a real watch. Not worth $200 extra though .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#63 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM

My dream watch is one of the Nike ones with the big face and the lap stuff. I think they are about $100 or so? RW did a big article about running watches and such right before christmas...it might still be online. I have an Ironman that I totally love because it's simple and has split times and a decent chronograph. and also a timer for when dd goes to her room : I think dh got it for $30 or $40 at Target.

I did 8.5 this morning and it was such a fabulous run. my hip was fine, I felt strong running up the hills, and the weather and morning were just GORGEOUS. I ran alone (not with speedy neighbor) and kept it at 10:20 pace, which felt just great, a good effort but not killing me. which makes it a good LR pace, right?

dh got two megaphones for his paintball weekend (don't ask) and is now letting the kiddos take turns saying whatever they want into them. at least our neighbors like us....
#64 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 PM

re: GPS~ I have the Forerunner 305, which is the exact same as the 205, just with HR capabilities. The 405 is their new model, and it's PRETTY and I drool over it, but the price hasn't come down yet. If you keep an eye out, you can find a fantastic deal on the 305 on Costco.com from time to time. Last time I saw it on there, I believe it was $165, shipped. I love mine. It is a little clunky (which is why I lust over the 405), but it's fantastic. There's SO much you can do with it...I barely scratch the surface!

jaygee~Some thoughts...pinpoint pain, or more widespread? If it's a super specific spot, then I might worry a little about stress fx, but it usually takes a while to get to that point and it usually starts with shin splints, which are a more widespread pain. Ice the heck out of it, keep up with the stretching. How are your shoes? If they're starting to break down, in addition to the running on hard surface/road, that might be part of the problem. Do you have orthotics? If not, you may try putting a good arch support in to see if that helps. If it does help, you may want to look into orthotics. They're not cheap, but well worth the expense!

Ladies, I am STRESSED. Thank god I am getting out of town today. I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's not any one thing, it's just everything. It's the stress with my friend (who is not coming with us, by the way, which frustrates me even more because she NEEDS it and I feel helpless that she won't allow us to help her or do anything to help herself). It's the fact that H gets to go off for a week and spend all kinds of money on a golf vacation with his buddies whereas I am completely stressed out about trying to get this one teeny little weekend away to work, both logistically and financially. It's the crap with my dad (whose phone call I ignored today :. didn't leave a message, must not be anything too important). It's the fact that my marriage is STILL entirely in limbo. It's the disaster area that is my house. It's the logistics of having knee surgery coming up with a second floor condo, a two year old, and a dog. It's DS, who is not that bad a kid, but is TWO and has been VERY VERY TWO for the past week (where I have not had a break at all because H is off golfing with his buddies). The dog finally is feeling better after his dental work last week and is driving me crazy. My favorite pair of sandals broke, and even though it's still sandal weather here, you can't find a stinking pair of sandals anywhere in town to replace them with because it's fall. Oh yeah, and the rec center we took a class at in the spring got hacked and my debit card info was compromised. ARGH!!!!

Deep cleansing breath...

Sorry bout that. Two hours till freedom, two hours till freedom...of course, I still have to get everything packed and organized to go, but FREEDOM. I can't wait! We're going to do a hike that I've been dying to do for forever, the bright side of the one friend not going is that now we're going to take our bikes and ride the gorgeous bike path through the canyon. A nice dinner tomorrow night. Some beautiful fall colors. A trip or two to the Hot Springs pool. Keeping : that the weather holds out...but if it doesn't, we may check out the caverns. The hotel has free wireless, so I'm taking my laptop, and hopefully will be able to check in when I'm in a much more relaxed and happier frame of mine.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#65 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Hi ladies! Tjsmama~ you get out and have a great break! I am sorry you are so stressed! I think as ladies we are programmed to just keep taking stress in and in and in and expected not to bust! Relax...exercise...have a great dinner

No run for me today. I'm having a rest day before the weekend where I will do one easy short run (2 miles) and my long run (4 miles). Not that long but long enough for now!

I hope you all have a great weekend! I will check in tomorrow sometime!
#66 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Gaye.

I'm on the frustrated bench although it's pretty petty and minor... Dd and I are doing the Race for the Cure on Sunday, and we signed up through a team at her school. There was a group picture scheduled for today at 3:45, so she wore her shirt to school and I raced home from work to meet her there... and they'd finished by the time I got there, at 3:45. So they were early, and dh didn't know how to make them wait for me, and I was disappointed, and I'd told her I'd be there and I wasn't. I felt like crap. Dd was unfazed, but still. Sigh.

Hopefully the race itself will be lots of fun for her.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#67 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renep6 View Post
mothercat- how was your concert?
We had a really nice time. BB King, at 83 y/o, still knows how to put on a really good show. The sweetest thing was that he talked to the families with small children that were there and promised that he wouldn't do anything that would embarrass them. He seemed genuinely happy that the children were there.
The other sweet thing was when he started talking about how he doesn't agree with the way that rappers and hiphoppers talk about women and told the guys in the audience that they should cherish their partners. Then he told them they needed to show their appreciation by singing them "You are my sunshine", and led them in the singing. What a charmer. Not hard to see why he has 17 children by 7 or 8 different women.

The only downer was the drunk 20 something sitting next to me. I think he was buzzed when he got there, proceeded to have 4 beers while there. He kept texting until he fell asleep about 2/3 of the way through the concert.

fmr: I had the pool completely to myself for about 30 min. today. Made up for all those times when it was crowded.

ankle report: MRI and X-ray were all negative except for the suspected tendonitis. It had not become so chronic as to become tendonosis. So, other than letting this heal and then seeing the physyiatrist (sp?) and doing some PT, maybe orthotics, I should be good. Bad news is that my Vit D level is less than half of what it should be. FP doc doesn't think a dexa scan is needed but wants me to supplement with D and Calcium partly because of the stress femur fracture a few years ago.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#68 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 PM

You know those stadium stair runs I did yesterday? My calves are so sore from that. The rest of my body ended up feeling totally fine today.

Worked like mad today and tomorrow is fall festival at the school and I have to work there too. Just want a weekend away to do something like go camping.

Doing a short run tomorrow.

Good luck racers!!!!!
#69 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM

tjsmama, this : is to get you started on your weekend. Until then this will have to do

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#70 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM

mothercat - I'm glad you enjoyed your concert! He does sound like a charmer. I hope the guys picked up some things from him.

You know at the Hanson concert there were 2 guys there that were my age that were SO drunk! One could barely stand up - he was behind us holding onto the rail around the sound crew and he was shaking it all over the place. Then there was another guy in front of us staggering and dancing. All I thought was, "They must have pretty sucky lives if they are that blasted at a HANSON concert!"

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#71 of 794 Old 10-03-2008, 11:23 PM

First off, Good Luck tomorrow to HBM, and dd, and CathToria!!

Penelope, that stinks that they didn't wait for you and you missed the picture.

RR - I haven't been running much. I'm sort of taking this taper thing to the extreme. Well, not really, it's just that these last 2 weeks have been really nutty at work. We are definitely feeling the being a 4 doc practice with only 3 docs now. I keep reminding myself that if I had to have weeks that interfered with my training, better now at the end than when I was still needing to run a lot. I have 8 planned for tomorrw, which I will take VERY easy, and then something short Sun, Tues, and Thurs - and then the marathon! I'm pretty excited in between being terrified!
#72 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Go!Go!Go! Cathtoria, HBM, DD2 Go!Go!Go! Hope you have awesome weather for it! I hope everything goes well Can't wait to hear how it went.Have fun!
#73 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM

GO CT, HBM and DD!!!!!!!!

Gaye....Hugs!
#74 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 09:46 AM

can't wait to hear about the race! it's a gorgeous morning...I was running with you in spirit (3 miles easy).

I have screaming children, and dh is working most of the day. we are headed to a festival...glad to have somewhere to go that we can walk to! take care mamas, hope your trip is great, Gaye!
#75 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi!

We went to the Indigo Girls concert last night. Wow, that was fun. Even with ear plugs, my ears are still ringing a bit though.

Run this afternoon, then friends here for dinner, then another run tomorrow.

The kids are naked, jumping on the mattress in the basement, and screaming at the top of their lungs. Ahhhhhhhh. I'm here drinking tea, listening to the radio, and kitting.
#76 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 AM

The race was so much fun! Gigi and I ran together and Madeline stayed just a little ahead of us. The course was really hilly, but pleasant. It was pretty emotional-it was to raise money for a girl that was in a motorcycle crash. She is 15 and had devestating injuries. She was there at the race, though. It was amazing to see the community come together like that for their family. There were over 900 registered runners!
I am so proud of my little Madeline. She cut 3 minutes off of her old 5k time!

We're heading out to the festival, too. And then we're going to meet Elmo at the toystore this afternoon. :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#77 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 AM

Geo ~ Your morning makes me laugh (naked kiddos especially) but I can't wait to get there.

Go Dingo Racers!!

Did I tell you all I got free tickets to see Alanis Morissette this Sunday?! :
I think Sprout is really going to like music/concerts by the time she is born.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#78 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Go racers, go!

Just a quick pop-in to cheer, and to say that I REALLY hope the SNOW holds off! !

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#79 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 12:59 PM

RR - 8 miles done, in 1:21:58. I was actually meaning to run them a bit slower, but I'm so antsy running a little faster felt better. It was pretty chilly this morning - about 50F when I started off. I ran in a long sleeve technical shirt and shorts, and I'm pretty cold now. I'm starting to think about what to wear next week. So far, it looks like the wether will be a little warmer than today. I really need to remember something to cover my ears especially - they are really aching now.

Congratulations CathToria, HBM, and dd - that sounds like a wonderful race!

Off to stand in a steamy shower and warm up a bit. Catherine has a marching band competition today that we are driving to, and dh has to go in to work, so it'll be just me and the kiddos, and possibly a friend for Justin as well.
#80 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM

So far, so good here! Some drizzly rain this afternoon but no snow yet. We did a fantastic hike this morning, and a nice (although a little cold and wet) bike ride this afternoon. We just got back from the hot springs pool, which was really nice. And, I had the opportunity to support a NIP mom who was approached by one of the lifeguards b/c "we're trying to make everyone comfortable and some people weren't comfortable." She did a fantastic job of standing up for herself , but I was able to just be there, and I also gave her the info for the lactivism forum here and firstright.org if she chooses to pursue it up the chain. She said this is her third baby and she's a member who's nursed many times with all of them there before and never been approached!

I need to go dry my hair and make myself pretty : for what will hopefully be a fabulous dinner. Just had to share my lactivism experience with some people I know will understand!

#81 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM

We did have a great race this am. I must have teared up 20 times when I saw all of teh people out there supporting this young lady. It was amazing. Then I saw a girl in a wheelchair, and then I saw the guy pushing her was wearing race number "1".. so that had to be the girl and her dad.

HBM's dd was so cute. She got comments adn compliments the whole time. Thank good ness that the course was a little hilly, b/c that's the only way HMB and I could keep up with the 6yo, LOL.

I had a crazy busy day today after the race. I basically just got home for more than 10 min run ins all day. And I felt so good all day today. No bonking, no feeling like total cr@p. Woo hoo. Running teh 5K was not too hard at all, and I've nEVER been able to say that in my life. yay for me.

Jenlove, I love A Morsette!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#82 of 794 Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Good evening everyone! It's been a busy day in our house...grocery shopping in the a.m. and baseball in the afternoon...my grocery bill is insane...but that's another thread!

Darned staying healthy! It costs a lot!

Did just a short 2 miler today...it felt fabulous except for the wind!

I will be doing 4 tomorrow...hopefully in the morning before it gets too warm.
#83 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 AM

Wonderful race HBM, Gigi, and HBM's DD!!!! Great job to you all ! And Gigi, you sound so wonderfully positive. Love it!

I was supposed to run 11 miles early this morning, but my running partner called at 6:00am to cancel because her DD had been up all night with some stomach thing. Of course, I couldn't get back to sleep, so here I am. MDC and coffee ~ the breakfast of champions ! As soon as the family is up and moving I'll head out and run the 11 miles on my own, before church.

Oh, and JenLove, you look positively gorgeous! What a sweet, tiny bump .

My shin is still giving me some issues. The tenderness is very specific, like I can push on the spot on my tibia and YEOWCH! It kind of aches all the time. I know this is goofy, but I'm afraid to go to the doctor because a) I know he'll tell me to stop running and b) he told me to stop running a year ago when I injured my knee and I didn't :.

#84 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 AM

I just checked my email and saw that Madeline won 3rd place in her age group!!! Now I really wish we had stayed for the awards ceremony.

Gigi, did you get the email with the link to the race pics? There are tons of them and at the end you can see Claire's dad pushing her through the finish line. I totally cried when I saw them. I'm really glad we got to be a part of that race. And I'm so glad you felt good yesterday! That's awesome!

#85 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 AM

I didn;t get the race email. congrats to Madeline, yay!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#86 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 AM

Gigi-I just forwarded it to you.

#87 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 03:00 PM

RR - I did a decent 5K this morning for Race for the Cure. Dd was all signed up, and I thought there was a kids' run, but it was two events, one 1 mile walk, and one 5K with runners and walkers. So dd an I did the mile, running when she felt like it, and she had a good time. Then I had 15 minutes before the 5K, and I zipped in to use the restroom and ended up using the men's room when the line was too long to accomodate the time crunch (after running a 10K last weekend with a full bladder, I wasn't going to do *that* again!)

The race was fun. I started out a little too fast and walked more than I liked, but I made almost exactly the same time as my last 5K, maybe 5 seconds or so faster once my time is adjusted. (29:17 or so according to the clock.) I'd really hoped to break 29 minutes, but otoh it was a good time for me, and dd had a blast. The race was *huge* - they had 17,000 participants, although that must also have included people who slept in for the cure - and all the zipping around and confusion beforehand made me un-focused during the actual run.

So it was good! I ran pretty hard. I'd like to do one more race this year (or... maybe two) to try to improve my time a bit, but dh is getting tired of wrangling the kids out of bed so early. Maybe next time I'll do one by myself.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#88 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 03:35 PM

enjoyed a 16 mile bike ride on my newer cyclocross bike this morning. i did essentially the same ride as a few weeks ago, but today i was much stronger. i was able to easily keep my heart rate in the 150s and got into the 160s more than a few times without feeling too horrible. A few weeks ago i would feel ill if i went above 150, and keeping it in the 140s was difficult for any length of time. whatever was wrong with me is slowly improving, and i'm so glad. cardiologist appt is this thursday, i have no idea where we'll go next with it.

am roasting a chicken, making no-knead bread and mashed potatoes for a nice sunday supper before i head down to Boston for a seminar that starts early tomorrow morning. work is full of crazy hoohah right now, and i'm desperately trying to get some customers of mine through some difficult negotiations, but they don't make it easy for themselves and thus not for me as then everyone freaks out. can't wait until it's over.

am also in the midst of making tons of soap for the holiday season. I have one craft show lined up, one open studio - and that's it. but i have nothing in stock right now, so it's time to light the fire and make loads of soap.

off to shower so i can keep on schedule here. ciao.
#89 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM

I've been thinking that the Dingoes have been REALLY quiet lately then I just realized it's a new month. New month, new thread--you'd think I'd be used to the routine by now! Sheesh.

I'll check back with more personals later but for now...

jenlove~You are TOO CUTE! Love the belly pics!

gaye~I'm jealous of your weekend! Hope you're having a blast.

drjen~How are you feeling about the taper? I know this is normal but I feel like I should be running more. My 8 miles wiped me out yesterday! It seems counterintuitive to drop the mileage so drastically.

Off to run 4 miles. I'm posting it here so I'm held accountable.

:

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#90 of 794 Old 10-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Penelope ~ that sounds like so much fun!

grnmtnmama ~ good to hear your HR issues are improving .

I ran my 11 (actually 11.5) at 8:00am this morning. It felt great with no pain in my shin at all. My knees are a little sore right now, but nothing horrible.

Unfortunately, my DH is starting to give me a hard time about all my running (and biking). He's not a morning person, so when I get up to do an early run, he's not a happy camper, at all. And the rest of the day I get to hear about HOW TIRED he is. I guess I could do my long runs mid afternoon or evening on the weekend, but honestly, I'd rather spend that time with family and I just don't run well later in the day. Oh well.... only 4 more weeks until my race and then I'll put myself on a more reasonable schedule.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page