Dingos Run, Walk, Wog, Jog, Swim, Bike and Stretch into October! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am so proud of my dd. She is running in a cross country meet this morning - she did last year, too. She is the least active of all of my children and dreads physical exertion, but here she is on the cross country team! I love her attitude - she isn't at all competitive and isn't phased by the competitiveness of her friends and eh other kids at the meet. she came home from practice one day and was beaming - "Mama!!!! I found the perfect pace for me when I run - it is just barely more than a walk but I can keep going forever like that!" It works for her and keeps her moving, so I am happy with it

I :am off to watch her run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I am so proud of my dd. She is running in a cross country meet this morning - she did last year, too. She is the least active of all of my children and dreads physical exertion, but here she is on the cross country team! I love her attitude - she isn't at all competitive and isn't phased by the competitiveness of her friends and eh other kids at the meet. she came home from practice one day and was beaming - "Mama!!!! I found the perfect pace for me when I run - it is just barely more than a walk but I can keep going forever like that!" It works for her and keeps her moving, so I am happy with it

I :am off to watch her run.
Now that's my kind of runnin' Have fun at the meet!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#123 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
She did great - 38th out of 62. She cried at the end becasue she decided to try running fast for the first time - for a 3K hilly run - and she felt horrible.

I checked out a new pool in my area that I may use until I feel confident running on this knee again. Walking is the only hting I can do that doesn't hurt it. Sitting hurts, lying down hurts, I tried running a few steps and that really hurt - so I will do some swimming and see of that doesn't hurt and at least give my upper body a workout.
#124 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 PM

awesome for her Shanti. Hope she is feelign better

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#125 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Great job to you DD, Shanti .

I am coming down with something. I only swam 1/2 of what I'd planned this morning before I had to get out of the pool because I was just so tired.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#126 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Okay, trying to get used to reading so much and jumping in

That's awesome for your dd, Shanti! I hope she feels better soon. I hope the swimming works out for you, that's something I'd like to get into more.
Congrats on the weight loss Gigi! 4lbs in a week is great.
Sounds like a nice weekend away, Gaye.
I hope it's nothing serious, and you feel better soon Kristina.

RR: just ran 3.1 miles. I live in the city (well kind of, just outside Boston) and luckily have this great reservoir right down the street, that is 1.55 miles around, so I just do it 2x for 5k. Need to go spend some time with my foam roller though cause my legs are aching.

I'm exhausted, I went to the Red Sox playoff game last night and it was late! Thankfully they won though.
#127 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Mamas, HEY THERE!!

:

32 days past pneumonia diagnosis and I just got an all-clear X ray finally! Now doc says I can't run for a while but I can walk (S L O W L Y) on the treadmill. So back we go to the gym after Thursday, I hope! FINALLY.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#128 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM

22 weeks today! : Sprout's been really active these last few days, and I know for a fact she loves Alanis' music. She bounced during the concert and now kicks everytime I put her CD in. That's m'girl!

I went for a wog tonight. I didn't jog very much but enough to make me feel good about it. And it was raining.. best time for a run!

Nicka ~ Glad you are on the mend.. even if it's slow.

JayGee ~ Hope you feel better asap!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#129 of 794 Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Mamas, HEY THERE!!

:

32 days past pneumonia diagnosis and I just got an all-clear X ray finally! Now doc says I can't run for a while but I can walk (S L O W L Y) on the treadmill. So back we go to the gym after Thursday, I hope! FINALLY.
So glad to hear you are on the mend. Wish there was a smiley to send you lots of patience for your return to the gym. Always so hard to go very slowly when you are feeling better.

BTW: I have always loved that verse from Isaiah. How appropriate for the dingo thread.

New swimsuit and goggles were used today. Suit is polyester and seems a bit snug at the shoulders, but am going to love the goggles. I am at lesson 14/15 in the TI book. Our Y is looking at sponsoring a TI workshop.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#130 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 01:14 AM

Nickarolaberry - I'm so glad you are on the mend at last. I find it often takes my adult patients quite a bit of time to recover from pneumonia, so do take it easy on yourself and don't be too discouraged if it seems slow going - you will get back to your normal exercising self!

mothercat - you got any secret chant or dance I can do to get a couple clients delivered this week before Friday? I'm fretting over leaving a couple of them over the weekend for the marathon (a lovely first time mom who is now 40 4/7 and a second time mom is 40 0/7 today) I know I have more stronger "persuasion" in my medical arsenal, but neither mom is at all interested in that so I need something a little less direct!

I, too, have not taken the time to say a big hello and welcome to the new folks posting! Just jump right in with the chatting - we all love to hear about stuff around here!

I just ran 4+ on the treadmill. I'll probably do 2 or 3 tomorrow, and like 2 with some short strides on Thursday and then that will be it. I got an email today from the marathon folks. They have a new alert system in place (after last year's weather related disaster) to let you know on the course how things are going. I guess there will be flags posted or something like that. Green for good conditions, yellow for less than ideal, red for poor conditions, and black for extreme conditions and likely race closure. At this point, due to the predicted weather, they are considering it to be "yellow" conditions - I think because the predicted temps are 60s-70sF and I guess they are thinking that's warmer than ideal. Kind of discouraging to hear 5 days in advance that the marathon you've been preparing for the last 4 mos is already code yellow!
#131 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM

My dd yesterday while riding her bike up a hill while me and M ran:

"Even if my legs are tired,
Even if my legs are hurting,
I keep WORKING!"

Bless her heart, but I have to admit I really want to put that on a shirt and then put her name, age 5. She has more heart than a lot of adults I know.

code yellow smellow...60-70's isn't too bad, just hydrate ALOT!
#132 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
My dd yesterday while riding her bike up a hill while me and M ran:

I keep WORKING!"
I want a shirt with that on it !!!!! What a great DD you have.

DrJen, I can't believe how close you are. And code yellow ~ PAH! They're just CYA because of last years debacle. You'll do GREAT!!!! BTW do you have a race number yet so we can track you?

I feel a bit better this morning . I am headed to the Y for a 6 mile tempo run on the treadmill... fun, fun, fun.

#133 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 AM

My bib # is 33212 - but it looks like the runner tracking on the marathon website just needs the runner's name - I don't see anywhere bib # is needed. If you don't know my full name and want to find me, let me know and I'll pm it!
#134 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM

woo Drjen! Oh I am just so excited for you. : : : it will be awesome.

I am just posting to get up some mojo to run on the mill. It is raining here, YAY! But that means the mill. so I'm going to watch that California show on DVD. the one with David duchovny. let's hope it works, I'm supposed to do 6 this morning.
#135 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 AM

Wow, I'm serial posting! weird!

Back to report 60 minutes on my non-mileage tracking treadmill. So that'll have to be six miles for me. I watched the show for 30 min and then listened to wait wait don't tell me for the last. And it still sucked, I am WAY out of the habit.

BBM, I am sensing a dingo shirt '09 with your dd's phrase???? I wish she could ride with my dd...she quits when she's going up a hill and I am trying to tell her that pushing hard is how you get stronger. But she's not buying it.

must get in the shower and then shop for MIL's forgotten b'day gift. they are spendng a two day layover here, in dd's room again. sigh.
#136 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM

it looks like our inspection went well yesterday and so, onward we go! :
we didn't end up having to pay any money but our equity went *poof* which sucks but better than having to foreclose or something like that. we just feel lucky to have that almost out of our lives so we can close the TN chapter and focus on our CA chapter.

drjen - very excited for you!

jenlove - aw, 22 weeks already! awesome

nickarolaberry - glad you feel better!

kerc/geo - wasn't one of you coming out west for some conference in november?

i'm due for a run today, hoping it happens later. today was 'international walk n roll to school today' - we almost forgot! luckily dh remembered and so i walked while the kids scootered and it was so much fun. it's all downhill on the way TO school. i think, until i find a new job, i could run there and walk/run back as a short run. fun!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#137 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM

My dd usually walks up the first part of this hill. I gave her a little help. This was after riding for 5 miles. She wasn't happy about the riding, and in fact complained a lot! But what she said was just so damn inspirational. I would love to do a dingo shirt with that on the back! As long as we can put her name and age...so quote, then - dd, age 5. Because seriously to me that's part of what makes it so amazing. I believe we inherently have that belief in ourselves and our ability and how to make ourselves work. It's somehow in the process that we lose it.

Sigh.

Just ended a really rough first session. Can I just reiterate I hate divorce cases? They suck.
#138 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
kerc/geo - wasn't one of you coming out west for some conference in november?

i'm due for a run today, hoping it happens later. today was 'international walk n roll to school today' - we almost forgot! luckily dh remembered and so i walked while the kids scootered and it was so much fun. it's all downhill on the way TO school. i think, until i find a new job, i could run there and walk/run back as a short run. fun!
I'll be in SF mid-December at the Moscone Center (south of Market). I'd love to get together. I don't know my schedule yet, but it will be pretty busy (7 posters/talks in 5 days plus committee meetings). That doesn't mean I can't meet for dimsum or something.

Our walk to school day was postponed on account of rain. Wusses.
#139 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Yay on the inspection, Poppy!!!!! Great news .

I would love a shirt with the the quote from BBM's DD on the back!

Oh and reporting a FANTASTIC tempo run on the treadmill ~ go figure. I decided to warm up on the elliptical for 20 minutes, then ran 4 miles at a 7:50/mi pace, then 20 more minutes on the elliptical to cool down. Two hours later and I'm still on an endorphin high !

#140 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I'll be in SF mid-December at the Moscone Center (south of Market). I'd love to get together. I don't know my schedule yet, but it will be pretty busy (7 posters/talks in 5 days plus committee meetings). That doesn't mean I can't meet for dimsum or something.
Great! dh works right near Moscone [within walking distance] so we can ride BART in and meet you whenever it works with your schedule.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#141 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I keep WORKING!"
, yup, Dingo shirt '09 is all set!

DrJen - Yay! A bib number and everything! It's so happening! :

I biked in to town today to get a replacement for my driver's license which I managed to lose rather fast. I think it will probably turn up but they need the number at school to do my background check and I felt weird driving without it. But, I took the bike to look like a good little law abiding citizen today!
Then I scored a windproof shirt at the thrift house which was exactly what I needed for today (and for future rides), the weather is beautiful but cold : when you get up to speed on a bike.

Anyway, now I'm off to do some more decking (will it ever end? ) but I anted to log my bike ride since it counts as actual exercise.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#142 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM

I love the Dingo shirt quote!!!

DrJen, I can't wait to stalk you this weekend. I'm sure you will do great!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#143 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM

back from a 40 minute walk/run. Forgot my sports bra so running was a bit uncomfortable. just nice to be outside though.

DrJen - it's so exciting that your marathon is this weekend. Here's hoping those mamas up and deliver tomorrow so you can get good and rested before your big day.

Poppy - great news on the house. glad it's going forward.

have to jet to get home to go to ds's open house tonight at the school. My MIL is here from the UK as well.
#144 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM

nickarolaberry~YAY! For clear x-rays! Now just remember to take it slowly [/motherly voice]

drjen~: and for your clients! Come on ladies, let's have some labor here! Doncha know drjen has a race to run this weekend?? I'm so excited for you...can't wait to stalk! I agree that I wouldn't worry too much about the yellow. I'm sure they're being super overly cautious after last year's debacle.

poppy~: for a good inspection! Woohoo!

I feel like I've been MIA for a few days. I've been reading along, just felt kind of weird posting since I've been a slug. I always think that's kind of silly when someone else posts it, but I understand the feeling now! Not that I think anyone *should* refrain from posting just because you're not running, but I get how it feels!

I finally picked up a Halloween costume for DS today. I ended up with the bat costume from Old Navy. I'm not in love with it, but at least I have something and I can keep looking for something better. I got him the monkey from ON last year, and it was so stinking cute that it will be hard to find anything that will measure up. I wish I had the skills/equipment to make one myself, but I probably couldn't even do it for the price of the ON costume...under $15.

I ran at track this morning for the first time since track last week. : It wasn't like I was completely sitting on the couch, just haven't been running. Well, and I was completely sitting on the couch for the past three days. Blech. Me no likey. I had so much more energy today than I have for the past several days. Track workout was 4x800 descending with 400 recoveries. It kicked my butt. I felt really slow, then on the last 800 I decided to avoid looking at my Garmin and just went with what I felt I could sustain. And I took 15 seconds off my previous 800. Ok, so I thought I was going to die afterwards, but still, obviously I was holding back a little bit more than I should have been on the first three!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#145 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 PM

What happened LY at DrJen's marathon?

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#146 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM

the chicago marathon - with the heat last year.
#147 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
mothercat - you got any secret chant or dance I can do to get a couple clients delivered this week before Friday? I'm fretting over leaving a couple of them over the weekend for the marathon (a lovely first time mom who is now 40 4/7 and a second time mom is 40 0/7 today) I know I have more stronger "persuasion" in my medical arsenal, but neither mom is at all interested in that so I need something a little less direct!
Sorry doctorjen, no chants or dances. The best I do is talk with the moms and see when they think this baby may be due. Based on that, we discuss what the back-up plan will be. I'm am sometimes surprised by babies I thought would come during a time that meant I missed the birth and the babies decide to wait until I'm available.

There is always endogenous prostaglandin that dad can supply, and nipple stim has been know to soften a cervix. Add a little endogenous oxytocin from the above and that may do it. If it doesn't maybe the mom and baby want to wait for you to get back.

Not one of my better days as a midwife. Have a mom who may or may not be developing pre-e, have a baby that is or is not severely compromised, mom may or may not be diabetic. I spent a lot of time thinking I had not handled her care appropriately. At the moment she and baby are fine, but in hospital. I keep hearing the little voice in the back of my head, "Are you strong enough?" I ask all the midwife wannabes that question when they tell me they want to catch babies because it's such a happy profession and they love babies. Are you strong enough for when the bad stuff happens?

#148 of 794 Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM

fmr: swam today and it was magic. Lesson 14/15 in TI; day for new stroke. I was really worried that I would have done all these drills over the past months and I would just fall back in to the old pattern.
It didn't happen!!!. :::
On the second length I realized I had covered half the pool and didn't need to surface for air. I know the stroke isn't perfect, but it felt like I could have kept swimming for hours. I have found the rhythm , zone, and meditation that I have with cycling and running.
It was a really good start to what turned out to be a very emotional day.

mothercat

#149 of 794 Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 AM

I'm no midwife and no expert, but when my midwife stripped my membranes at 40 wks, 2 days, I was in early labor within two hours... active labor five hours later... baby 9 hours after that.

Plady, we can talk Bham anytime! I lurve that town, and I'm no expert. But my sister is! There's definitely more than Trader Joes and the REstore. The Barkley trail system is great for family walks, as is the trail around Lake Padden. It's just a very outdoor-friendly place. Downtown and Fairhaven are lovely, wonderful places to wander. And eat! You MUST have soup and a Caesar salad at the Colophon Cafe!

RR: finally ran with classmates on Monday. Felt SOOOO good! I smoked 'em for speed and distance, which surprised me since I've not run at all since my Tri in august.

BBM... your daughter has it together. She must have some kinda awesome mom.

Poppy -- so glad the house sold! Phew!

Should do more personals, but must go wander up to bed. I have no late-night stamina during the academic year.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#150 of 794 Old 10-09-2008, 02:33 AM

Poppy - for the inspection!

DrJen - you will do fine!! The marathon here always finishes in the high 60s, I don't think that will be a heat problem for you! Just hydrate lots well ahead of time - all this week - plus up your salt some...

so excited to stalk you on your race!!

towsonmama - is your's this weekend too? I cannot wait!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page