Dingos turkey trot into november! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
i think i'm going to start up with facebook - do any of you have any tips for me?
friend me.

here's a smilie from erin:
:
and one from Leah:
:

Yep, those are my kids- -- the treehugger and the winter guy (I refuse to think he's freezing).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#62 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ok, I gotta get to 3000 words today. That should actually be pretty easily done before noon.

I Will Go Running From Work. Before 1 pm. Hold me to it, please.
ok. sounds like a busy day.

I will finish the slides/text for my seminar thursday this morning. I will not get any sicker. I will write an exam for intro to geology. whew I 'm tired already.

#63 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
OK... y'all have inspired me... can I join and make it four of us on the same c25k schedule? Week 1 + consistent PT exercises for me. I really need all the accountability I can get.
I'm in for c25k. When I walk/run I do a modified version anyway... but this will keep me consistent and at least getting out 3 times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
So the nudge to update mileage...I have updated my sig in months! my mileage for this year?.........
1084.61!!!!!!!!!
Wowza! We have some hefty miles getting put on this year. Way to go ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention when I de-lurked that our dog is nicknamed.....get this....DINGO! :
Cute!!

Quote:

i think i'm going to start up with facebook - do any of you have any tips for me?
Yeah, add me too. And like another person said, be sure to check your privacy settings.

I am hoping to get out for a wog this morning sometime. It looks like it's going to warm up nicely, and I'd like to get it in before the basketball game this evening.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#64 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Subbing

As usual I have been lurking and sending positive vibes to all. Reading the posts about kids has me nodding my head and saying yeah that's me.

Gaye-I'm thinking about you with your big change. I think I've posted before that I am a psychotherapist as well so it's interesting to hear another approach. I would encourage you to take it slow and listen to your heart.

RR--Running has completely fallen to the wayside. However, dd 8 and I are sigining up for our local 5k on thanksgiving. It starts 3 blocks from our house so how can I not do it? I am hoping to get out today. I've had a nasty cough and it had really dragged me down.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Ann
#65 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Is it just my wonky computer or are the doggies in Jenlove's signature running at super-warp speed today?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#66 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Is it just my wonky computer or are the doggies in Jenlove's signature running at super-warp speed today?
They're not moving on my screen.

#67 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM

No forward motion this past weekend, way to much Halloween Candy, must run today! It is suppose to be sunny and 70 degrees here in Michigan in November, something you do not find in the same sentence very often. I would be a fool if I did not take advantage of this awesome weather!
#68 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
They're not moving on my screen.
LOL that's because they are SPRINTING on mine.

#69 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 PM

I am thinking about my goals for next year and trying to set manageable goals that will push me but not kill me. I find you ladies here so motivational I am risking overdoing it. Not because I am trying to keep up but because you make me strive for more reading about all your accomplishments. I am thinking 1000 miles plus a couple of races... Lately I truly feel like I am escaping and dumping on dh when I leave to workout. He says he doesn't mind but if he tried leaving me alone with these marvelous children for any extra time lately I think I might cry. It is the 1 yo with a cold, 3 yo with boundless energy, super sensitive 5 yo, 10 yo dd (I think that says it all), and my guilt about relying on super-dependable 12 yo ds.

Babybugmama, over 1000 with 2 months to go? Good luck on your 40 min goal! Keep going!

bec, I find the sleepovers hard. I don't like having ones so dear to me gone for so long. Luckily only ds1 has been bitten by the bug. It's great for them when they have a good time but what about those of us that miss them?

: to all those starting the c25k. I really like this last time on the c25k. I avoided injury and was able to get back to running. Two good things.

Plady, did you mean and Indy turkey trot? There is one on Thanksgiving, a 4.5 mile one in BroadRipple and I'm all signed up.

Cathtoria, I hope you get answers you want from the doctor. I went in twice to have hormone levels checked after this last baby. Both times they were fine but I was so sure my thyroid was off. Apparently as I get older and continue to have babies it takes me longer to get back in shape. The extra skin is mine forever.

grnmtnmama, enjoy home! As much as I love to travel I love coming home.

I am getting pressure to join facebook but I am busy just trying to keep up with this highly active and very well populated thread.

Hi modmom.

Jenlove's dogs look good to me.

rr - I rode the bike over to the health club to weight train. It is .6-.7 miles so not far at all. I recently revamped my little lifting routine and am paying more attention there too. It was a good workout for me. I got home on time but people were already up and I don't feel very centered. All thanks to the time change I suppose.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#70 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Am I the only one who hates facebook, and all sites like it?

Ok, Im SICK of my abs! I do transverse work all the time and my abs are NEVER sore! wtf! Its the one part of my body (core) that I would love to get really strong and nothing seems to touch it (um, not the one part, but the one part I cant seem to affect). I dont think my technique is wrong : (Im feeling nicely sore all over today from weights yesterday except in my core....)

Amazing running times and mileage and goals everyone! TRULY inspiring!!!!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#71 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
LOL. I swore I would never get sucked into Facebook or MySpace or any of those sites. Well, I joined FB just to see a friend's photos and I am totally addicted now. I love it. MySpace is just kind of weird, though, IMO. There are so many fun games on FB, and I love seeing what all my friends are up to.

I slept a little better last night. The dog was still between us, but there was some slight, incidental touching. The house and garage are a disaster right now with all of the stuff that needs to be put away, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it. Most of the stuff in the house is in the bedroom/bathroom and H has to do that. And the garage is going to have to wait until next weekend when we can have several hours to work on it. It's driving me nuts though that I don't even have room in the garage for my recycling bins right now!

PT later this morning. My quad/knee have been kind of stiff/sore over the weekend, probably because I was on my feet so much, so we'll see what they have to say. Theoretically, I should be able to start running the end of this week or next, but I'm not sure I see that happening right now!

Oh, and JenLove's doggies aren't moving at all for me, either!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#72 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM

yeah, but who are you keeping in touch with? I can think of three people Id be interested in tracking down ... more like two, and I contacted one of them and the other is not registered. Done. People popped up on my page when I registered, and I thought, "oh god". Like, the guy I went to the prom with, whose last name I couldnt have told you until he popped up.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#73 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM

A bunch of my IRL friends are on there, as well as lots of dingos. :-) I was kind of surprised when I signed up. I've reconnected with several people from HS or college that I never really thought I had much interest in, but now that I'm friends with them on FB, it's cool to keep in touch with them. I do have several friends that I'm kind of "eh" about, but just don't care enough about to un-friend them. That's a kind of nice thing, actually. You can un-friend someone and they don't get any notification or anything, you just disappear.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#74 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM

nak

mandy, for you and your family. here's to more workouts w/o heart issues.

sparkletruck, i forget if you were around during the dingo planking craze? maybe that would be something to try?

doggies are sprinting like mad on my computer.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#75 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM

eks - girrrrrl, Ive been planking so much my brain is turning into a plank Im thinking of re-starting some pilates, and just avoid the positions that are supposedly bad for a diastasis, like the power 100 (I say, as if I know something)...

#76 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Mommajb - I was thinking that Thanksgiving morning 5k's were sort of ubiquitous but I guess not. I'll look to see where BroadRipple is.

Mandy - Add me too!

JenLove's dogs aren't moving here either.

BBM - Wow! That's some serious mileage!

DrJen - You too! 800 miles? And four kids and a full time job with a ton of unruly pregnant women having babies whenever they want to on top of it all?

Run Geo Run!!!

Sparkle - I like FB too. I go in waves of getting caught up in it but I must say I've been amazed at all the old friends that I've reconnected with there. I even managed to make-up with my old best friend from middle school who I had been inseparable from until a really stupid argument. It took almost 25 years to grow up enough to admit I was a total tool and if not for finding her on Facebook it might never have happened. I do think that you should take care in posting obnoxious stuff, especially when job-hunting, but for anyone with some sense of propriety I think it's pretty great.

Today is Stretch and Strengthen on my schedule so I'm thinking that taekwondo class should cover that.
Goals for the rest of the week:
Tues - Run 3 miles
Wed - 30 min x-training ( 30 minutes! )
Thurs - 2 miles
Fri - rest
Sat - 3 miles
Sun - 30 min x-t

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#77 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
yeah, but who are you keeping in touch with? I can think of three people Id be interested in tracking down ... more like two, and I contacted one of them and the other is not registered. Done. People popped up on my page when I registered, and I thought, "oh god". Like, the guy I went to the prom with, whose last name I couldnt have told you until he popped up.
LOL. My parents moved away from my hometown the year after I graduated from high school. So there was no going home for Thanksgiving because, well, they weren't there any more. So I've had a bit of fun seeing what people from hs are up to without actually having to make a serious commitment to see them.

And I've chatted a few times with folks, I'm *so* not an IM kinda person, but I can handle chatting on FB.

saskiasmom, whoops, sparkletruck....you were to originator (to the dingos) of the book about abs after baby weren't you?

#78 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the hugs! Y'all are awesome!

I need to get out and stay active. I need to keep it up, and it's hard when you feel down, but I know it keeps me feeling up and positive. Difficult things come and go, and I know that. I have made plans to be active with other women most days of the week, and that keeps me accountable. Either at work, or in the evenings.

HBM..yep..time for Atl dingoes meet up! And, yes the dogs are running really fast and the cats are drinking fast too. Looks kind of funny!

Big HUG to you all!
#79 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 02:01 PM

I haven't tried facebook to see what I think. I know I don't have time for more anything. A couple of friends are posting updates there instead on email loops that we had set up on yahoo. : My fingers can't type. It is supposed to be 75 here but it hasn't gotten there in my house yet.

tjsmama, kids and dogs. kids and dogs. My mom likes to take dd1 with her to my grandma's for the distraction. I am glad the pup is helping the transition.

sparkeltruck, along the line of planks, have you looked a the 100 pushup challenge? I really feel these in my core at times.

next years goals: I forgot I am still working on pushups and I should think more about stretching. This is all still being formulated in my head.

mommabelle, it sounds like you know what helps when life is tough. :

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#80 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM

:
Finally subbing...

A little running this weekend, not too much candy eating

WTG on your race JayGee! : awesome time!

MB and GMM for your family losses

awesome times and mileage BBM and DrJen!

kerc - I am getting very excited for you!! :

welcome new dingos

I like facebook and myspace, but I'm about to go through and change my pic and tighten up my privacy settings before I go on the job cycle this year...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#81 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM

jaygee, if you can run a 1:40 half you can boston qualify. my fastest half (and not even the year i qualified) was 1:37.
#82 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
saskiasmom, whoops, sparkletruck....you were to originator (to the dingos) of the book about abs after baby weren't you?
Yeah, that's me. And Ive been doing those exercises over the years, but I never feel sore. sigh

Facebook - i guess i just never had that many friends I dont need to find them, Im still friends with them. Get this; my h.s. boyfriend, who Ive stayed friends with, has been sending me scanned copies of notes that I wrote to him in h.s., as in, the notes you write to your boyfriend in english class instead of paying attention. Talk about bizarre; reading myself at 17! (college boyfriend lives in Mass., married to one of my closest friends, and we're going there for Thansgiving )

#83 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Crap, crap, crap. Dh's company just announced they are doing voluntary early retirement and "involuntary personnel reduction". : He's just got to be safe.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#84 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Well it has finally hit 50* here, so I am going to get dressed and go for my 20 minutes.

Facebook - I am addicted. I joined when I was in college, so all of my college friends/sorority and frat friends/and school of ed. buddies are on my list as well as old high school friends that are scattered all over now. And of course my new friends and my online friends like the Dingos!

MySpace - I have way less friends on there, but I have connected with a few people there that don't have FB so that's good (two old boyfriends even). I can also keep track of my cheerleaders on there and make sure they stay out of trouble.

#85 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Oh, HBM, thinking of you and : mama. :

DrJen, how are things?

If any of y'all have tips for dealing with a not listening 5 y.o., I'd love to hear them. We started a chart... she gets a sticker for each day that she listens well (admittedly subjective and determined by DH and me). 10 stickers = small toy purchase of her choosing. The first few days were great. Now she's got 5 stickers and it's getting tougher and tougher for her to earn another one. She lost today's while getting ready for school because she sprinted out the front door to visit with the neighbor (older woman who DD is obsessed with) instead of doing her bathroom stuff (hair, teeth, potty) like DH asked her to.

I'm feeling a lot of mama guilt because DD has been challenging lately, whereas DS is fun, snuggly, and a generally easy baby and I feel like I enjoy him so much more than her at the moment. :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#86 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
It occurred to me after not looking at mdc all day that I better get over here in case there was a new Nov thread so I could get the race list up!
Yup, me too! Usually some one posts somethign at the end of the month to alert the new thread, maybe I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
All the results from today's half are finally up. My chip time was 1:40:38. Gun time was 1:41:13.
Overall: 153/1736
Womens: 22/959
W40-44 AG: 5/125
I'm pleased, to say the least .

Now I need to get my aching fanny off the computer chair and bake a cake and some cupcakes for DS's birthday party tomorrow. The fun never ends, does it???? And would you believe he's at his very first sleepover ever tonight? My boy..... growing up.
Wow way to go! You rocked it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
I found out today that my great uncle passed away last night. Our family has been taking care of him for the last two years since his wife died. He has no children. My mom, and her siblings and my grandmother went to visit him (in KY) on Tues because he was sick and in hospital. Now they have gone back up there to arrange things. He had been splitting his time between KY and GA.
My dad is very sick too. He has celiacs and has been having problems lately
I'm just so tired. I work so much, that I don't have time to help care for people like I used to. I actually don't mind helping take care, but I feel guilty because I can't do all the things I used to. I can't help take care of my grandparents right now etc.. I think I have to change things up sooner, so that I can get back to that.
Sorry, just had to get that out. blork!
I'm sorry to hear of your great uncle. I just lost mine to, so my heart goes out to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

The move is mostly done. H still has to go back over this morning and take out about 30 loads of trash and finish a little bit of cleaning, but he said I don't need to go with him, which is a-ok. I didn't sleep very well last night, it was weird having someone else in bed with me. The dog helped a lot with the awkwardness, since he was pretty firmly planted between us most of the night.
Been thinking about you this morning about this, wondering how it was going. Wow, good luck with finding your comfort zone and figuring it out.

Quote:

I'm on face book, totally addicting!! look me up!

Quote:

Ok, Im SICK of my abs! I do transverse work all the time and my abs are NEVER sore! wtf! Its the one part of my body (core) that I would love to get really strong and nothing seems to touch it (um, not the one part, but the one part I cant seem to affect). I dont think my technique is wrong : (Im feeling nicely sore all over today from weights yesterday except in my core....)

Amazing running times and mileage and goals everyone! TRULY inspiring!!!!
Do you add weights and / or resistance to your ab work out? Try Cathe abs, ouch!!

RR: ran after the rest of the family last night for a broken mile. They all had wheels and I was in flip flops. Yup, unprepared but loved to run none the less.

Dh and I have therapy tonight, wish me luck!!
#87 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Facebook - i guess i just never had that many friends
Or, someone you can barely remember can friend you who was one grade behind you in middle school so he can confess he had a crush on you all the way through 7th grade. Made my day.
Quote:
Crap, crap, crap. Dh's company just announced they are doing voluntary early retirement and "involuntary personnel reduction". : He's just got to be safe.
: When does he find out?

Quote:
If any of y'all have tips for dealing with a not listening 5 y.o., I'd love to hear them. We started a chart...
We find DD acclimates to stuff like that pretty fast. It's ok for redirecting course on some things, but we've largely come up empty on that kind of strategy for anything but the most cut-and-dried verifiable thing.

We're working hard on giving her simple, clear instructions to make sure she's paying attention ("put your listening ears on" "plant your feet on the rug.") I also joke a lot: go comb your teeth!

I also tend to use the volume nob on my voice a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Run Geo Run!!!
I went! Not quite to the writing goal, but I felt really good with what I'd gotten through for the morning.

Ok, medicos, tell me this: What on earth are hospital scrubs actually for?? Really? I ran past the medical center on my run. It's a no smoking campus, so there are dozens of people out across the street wearing their scrubs and smoking. Then I ran past the basketball court, where I saw two more people playing basketball in their scrubs? Please someone tell me they change before going back to work?
#88 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
crap. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
:
Quote:
If any of y'all have tips for dealing with a not listening 5 y.o., I'd love to hear them.
My perspective on it is that my 5 (almost 6) yo listens well most of the time, she's not as good at following directions. Semantics I know, but I try to remind myself that she's usually a good listener. LOL

Observation, not intended to be critical, just an observation:
10 stickers = 10 days = very very long time when you're 5.

We try to start short and work up.

Quote:
She lost today's while getting ready for school because she sprinted out the front door to visit with the neighbor (older woman who DD is obsessed with) instead of doing her bathroom stuff (hair, teeth, potty) like DH asked her to.
Can you recover a sticker after you've lost one? Or are you SOL after an 8:15 am mis-hap? Just thinking I'd be very aware of that if I were 5 and trying to get a sticker.

Quote:
I'm feeling a lot of mama guilt because DD has been challenging lately, whereas DS is fun, snuggly, and a generally easy baby and I feel like I enjoy him so much more than her at the moment. :
Let the guilt go. Life is too freaking short. If I recall correctly you gushed over EK as well -- by that I mean you've had days when EK was *so* fun and *so* amazing and well, wonderful. In the bad days, pre-baby these bad EK days just were bad days. And relish the fact that at least one child is cooperating with you right now.

I've got one very intense child and one very mellow child. It is difficult for days on end to remember why my child #1 is a wonderful kid. Plus #2 is much more like me in interests, mannerisms, etc. But I have a printed list I made a few weeks ago and it sits in my wallet right next to a copy of the "10 things I like about me" that Erin made. I worry about ms. mellow -- that she'll be a follower, that she'll get crushed sometime, etc.

#89 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
We're working hard on giving her simple, clear instructions to make sure she's paying attention ("put your listening ears on" "plant your feet on the rug.") I also joke a lot: go comb your teeth!
ditto the turn your ears on. Leah yesterday actually put her fingers up by her ears to turn them on.

Erin's k teacher asks the children to stop what they are doing, put the item in their hands down and put their hands on their shoulders to listen. Amazingly effective.

#90 of 1137 Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Much luck to your DH, HBM. What a scary time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

Dh and I have therapy tonight, wish me luck!!
Good luck at therapy tonight.

I am in from my c25k week 1 day 1 run/walk. It felt pretty good. My calves were screaming by the end, but if that's my biggest complaint then I think I'm doing okay for myself. I came home and stretched - now I'm off to get a glass of water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page