Dingos turkey trot into november! - Page 38 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1111 of 1137 Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can only wear Saucony or New Balance because they have the roomiest toe-boxes (I have very long toes and a high instep).

Also you need to make sure the shoe is big enough. It should probably NOT be your normal shoe size -- when you're running your feet swell, and they need more space to stay happy. Runnersworld.com has a whole thing about it.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1112 of 1137 Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 PM

Have to get in my last November post!
I don't know how cold it's supposed to be tomorrow, but I'll be running outside at lunch! I think this week, I'll be running for the sake of burning some calories more than for fitness or peace of mind!

JayGee..thanks for the dosing schedule!
#1113 of 1137 Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 PM

I wear Brooks, but my running store fits me in a wider size, I think even in a men's size. Mine are motion control, though. I had trouble with numbness, even wearing NBs. I actually have to lace the shoes themselves pretty tightly...just really need the toebox room.
#1114 of 1137 Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 PM

mamabeth - that funeral sounds like it would be hard. It's just so heartbreaking to hear about someone losing a child.

JenLove - have you heard any news on the tiny baby? I think good call on not driving in the snow if you don't have to.

sparkletruck - I agonize over taking time out to exercise quite a bit, although in my case I really am gone from my kids a lot. I usually work it out by hitting the treadmill at bedtime for the kids - but in the winter especially I'm known to miss a lot of weekend runs to go to their activites instead.

Penelope - I have to be careful not to lace too tight with pretty much all shoes, although some are a little better than others. I'd think it's okay to finish with those shoes and just be cautious with lacing, but maybe look for your next shoes to be a bit wider through the foot.

So, I was SUPPOSED to have 5 days off this week. Wed was my regular day off, and then T-giving, and the day after, and the weeked. On Mon, I had a scheduled repeat cesarean, so I knew I'd have to go to the hospital and round on Tues, Wed, and Thurs at least, but knew I could be pretty quick seeing one mom and baby. Then Tues afternoon, my client with the lovely, quiet birth showed up. Okay, so now'll I'll have to see 2 moms and babies, but I'll still have most of the days to myself. Then, I had to admit the pre-eclamptic mom for induction on Tues afternoon, who I hoped would birth before Wed was over. So that didn't work, and I spent most of Wed with her, all night Wed night, and most of Thanksgiving. And of course the other mama had showed up by the time the induction client birthed, and I was at the hospital until 6:30 pm on T-giving. So, still 3 days left, but now I again have 2 moms and babies to see, plus, I got an extra baby by my turn being up in the newborn nursery to take a baby with no local doc. So Friday, it took me until noon to get everyone seen, but I did have my day of cooking and eating with family, although I was so exhausted I passed out watching a movie with dh early in the evening. Sat, it took me only until 11 am to finish seeing my clients and discharging one mom and baby and the extra baby, keeping the induction mom and baby as her blood count was low and the baby was still under bili lights.

Then Sat, we drove to pick ds's girlfriend up at college and took the train downtown went to a fancy restaurant, followed by seeing Dirty Dancing on the stage. We missed the most convenient train out of the city and had to sit in Union station waiting for the next for almost 2 hours. (I did put the time to good use and taught ds's girlfriend to knit with some scrap yarn! Catherine and I had brought our knitting to knit on the train and I had some extra needles and yarn.) While we were still on the train, labor and delivery called AGAIN. Another client in labor. So, I drove home from the kids' college and got into town around 3 am, dropped my dd off at home and headed straight to the hospital again. Client is a first time mom who had been 6-7 cms at 11 pm when she decided to get an epidural, and was still the same when I arrived, as the epidural had pretty much stopped her labor. AROM and pitocin, and numerous hours later, her baby was finally born after 2 hours of pushing at 10:16 am. I finally got home around 12:30 after unfortunately doing a significant perineal repair (it's rare for me to see a bad tear, and I don't do episiotomies, so I don't see bad extensions but this lady had so much swelling, I think from a combination of the long labor, pitocin, the epidural, and then 2 hours of pushing, a lot of it upright, and she had a very deep 2nd degree tear that exposed the anal sphincter, but didn't tear it, thankfully.)

So, of my 5 days "off", I spent 3 almost entirely at the hospital, and was there for a significant amount of time all 5, and spent most of the rest of the time recovering. And I have to work tomorrow. And, you guessed it, I haven't run.
#1115 of 1137 Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 PM

i size up a full size in my running shoes. otherwise, I'm listeneing for other shoe advice. so far, my fave run shoe is teh asics 2130

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1116 of 1137 Old 11-30-2008, 11:56 PM

to you doctorjen

I suppose you have appts all week and can't really take a much deserved day off now? Your patients are lucky to have a caring doctor. In our local practice the deliveries (other than inductions, scheduled sections, and babies delivered during office hours) rounds are done by the on-call doctor. You only get your dr to deliver and do rounds if it is her day. So one doctor delivers, then the next day you see another from the practice for rounds, and then you would be discharged the next day by yet another doctor. I think we have 4 md, one cnp in the practice but the cnp does not see ob patients.

I hope you get some rest & relaxation & running soon.

Penelope - I have terrible bunions causing me to need a wide, comfy toe box and I wear Saucony. I would check that the socks are smooth and watch the lacing for now. I think double checking fit and such on the next pair is a good idea. Not a very brilliant or original contribution to the conversation but it is all I have.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#1117 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 AM

jo - oh, ROOSters!

doctorjen - that sounds exhausting. Hope you get some real rest soon.
#1118 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 AM

dr jen, that sounds so yucky. you seem like a great and caring Dr. I hope you are highly compensated, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1119 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
JenLove - have you heard any news on the tiny baby? I think good call on not driving in the snow if you don't have to.
At the 5K on Saturday, one of the ladies who works at the Y got a text from the mommy explaining that "He peed! He peed!" I am hoping to get a better update tomorrow when I go to the Y to workout. Will update more when I know. Thanks for thinking of them.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#1120 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 AM

mamajb~just got done with push ups. I was curled up in bed when I remembered and didn't want to be off schedule with you because it's an incentive. thanks for the kick in the p ants! How'd you do? I'm at 122.
#1121 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 AM

oh man, i just watched this

video

and watching him trying to crawl to the finish line? chills. that's definitely a fight to the finish.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#1122 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM

yay, that's a great story!!! they didn't mention it, but did the other 2 guys qualify for Boston too??? Maybe they were not concerned with it....

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1123 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 AM

OMG-I'm totally crying after seeing that. What a great story.

No zumba today-I have a 2 hour choir practice b/c our big concert is Wednesday. And just like that December starts and the craze begins. Eek! I may try a short run this afternoon with dd2.

We had some excitement in our neighborhood last night. We kept seeing flashing lights around the corner, tons of them. Dh finally walked up there and came back to report that someone had driven a car through a house. It was stuck in this poor woman's basement and there's a huge hole in the side of her brick house. Some neighbors told dh that they pulled 6-7 people out of this Accord, some taken on backboards, some given breathalizers and handcuffed and taken in police cars. The police and fire department were here for hours. The lady that lives there is probably in her 60's and single. I'm not sure what will happen to her house. I feel so sad for her, but thankful that she wasn't hurt.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#1124 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM

:yawning:

I had to sit in the dark in DS's room last night for over to get him to sleep. Then he was up crying at 2. Brought him in bed for two hours of toddler snoring and wiggling before giving up and coming out to the couch and putting on Nemo at 4. Now he's super whiny and driving me insane. :

I. am. tired.

PT later this morning, could be interesting with the whinemonster.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#1125 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Paige I sent a package off to you this morning.

Gaye I am *so* with you on the tired thing. Leah's doing her 3 yr molars and she's super-duper cranky.

I'm here in perkins, trying to work. A group of 4 retired ladies is conducting an AA meeting here in the next booth. Urgh. I support them, but geez I need some quiet!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#1126 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

So toddlers wiggle in bed, too? This itty bitty girl of mine is crazy-wiggly
sometimes and I am exhausted.

Runningmommy and mommajb, your posts about the pushup challenge reminded me I needed to do mine last night. Thanks for keeping me on track!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#1127 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm back from yoga at the Y - boy was it a long class! She went 15 minutes over. Oh well... my legs sure do feel good now.

Update on baby Cade - he is off of the ventilator. : He's holding his own and doing as good as can be expected.

It's still snowing here. : I even shoveled a little this morning (don't worry I didn't pick up and heave the snow... I just pushed it across the driveway into the yard).

for all those sleep deprived or trying to get work done.

#1128 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Happy December mamas (is there a dec thread I'm missing? ). I had SUCH A FUN DAY WITH JOOJ! Really, it was awesome. It's so funny meeting dingos in person for the first time, there's all this basic personal information that we don't really have (like what exactly our dh's do kind of thing) but the there is all this quite intimate stuff we know all about and can refer to seamlessly in conversation. And then, just being in the other dingo's presence is one of those odd experiences too because you have the picture of what they look like so their face is familiar but then the voice is all new. You know? Anyway, it was so fun and I totally stayed way later than I'd had in my mind that I would because I was having too much fun. And Jo's kids are not only gorgeous but they are sweet and smart and engaging. I'm bummed that dd1 didn't want to do the drive because I know she would absolutely have fallen in love with Jo's ds. And it may well have been a shade of schadenfreude but I so recognized the gleam in Jo's eyes as she tried to get a word in edgewise with her daughter. It was awesome, I'm just sad that it can't be a weekly thing. And this morning I had the yummiest honey I've ever had on my toast. Thanks bees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Oh, oh, oh! And, even with Thanksgiving, and AF, I lost a little more weight! I'm now at my lowest weight since puberty, at 163.8 pounds!
That's awesome Bec! You must feel so great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Run instead of buns - now that's a mantra!
Oh yeah, that's a keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
RR: Do any of you find it hard to balance *leaving* your family to exercise.
Yeah, I used to, but over time I've realized that even on the days that I come home to sad little faces that claim to have missed me desperately for every second I was out, it's still worth getting the time to myself. It recharges me in a really important way. But I totally remember that guilty feeling. Just ignore it and go.

So last night when I got home I was introduced to the Wii by dh and dd who were busy talking about their golf scores . I was terribly skeptical but after a few rounds of boxing in which I knocked out all comers I am hooked
Today is going to be about sledding and tomorrow we're taking dd1 skiing at the wee little local slope. It'll be a blast.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#1129 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Happy December mamas (is there a dec thread I'm missing? ). I had SUCH A FUN DAY WITH JOOJ! Really, it was awesome. It's so funny meeting dingos in person for the first time, there's all this basic personal information that we don't really have (like what exactly our dh's do kind of thing) but the there is all this quite intimate stuff we know all about and can refer to seamlessly in conversation. And then, just being in the other dingo's presence is one of those odd experiences too because you have the picture of what they look like so their face is familiar but then the voice is all new. You know? Anyway, it was so fun and I totally stayed way later than I'd had in my mind that I would because I was having too much fun. And Jo's kids are not only gorgeous but they are sweet and smart and engaging. I'm bummed that dd1 didn't want to do the drive because I know she would absolutely have fallen in love with Jo's ds. And it may well have been a shade of schadenfreude but I so recognized the gleam in Jo's eyes as she tried to get a word in edgewise with her daughter. It was awesome, I'm just sad that it can't be a weekly thing. And this morning I had the yummiest honey I've ever had on my toast. Thanks bees!

That's awesome Bec! You must feel so great!

Oh yeah, that's a keeper.

Yeah, I used to, but over time I've realized that even on the days that I come home to sad little faces that claim to have missed me desperately for every second I was out, it's still worth getting the time to myself. It recharges me in a really important way. But I totally remember that guilty feeling. Just ignore it and go.

So last night when I got home I was introduced to the Wii by dh and dd who were busy talking about their golf scores . I was terribly skeptical but after a few rounds of boxing in which I knocked out all comers I am hooked
Today is going to be about sledding and tomorrow we're taking dd1 skiing at the wee little local slope. It'll be a blast.

Oh man! I want to meet some dingos. You make it sound so awesome. Are you sure you aren't heading down this way??

Nobody can manage to beet my little 3 yo dd at boxing -I have no clue why. She can practically wander into the kitchen for a snack mid-round and still win. We have tried everything including boxing on our knees. Her other fav is the long run. She is a little dingo in training. She can't quite run in place so she laps the couch for 10 minutes at a time.

bec - you are doing great!

Tomorrow I run again. My knee seems better but only a few miles will tell for sure.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#1130 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM

HBM, scary about that house!!!

I went back to that Dr today. He retested my thyroid levels. And he also thinks that I have IR, despite my labs soming back in normal ranges. He doesn't seem like a pill pusher to me.. based on my gut feelings abotu him and from what I have read in teh books that he authored.... but he gave me a script for metformin.

I am torn on this. I am thrilled about it, I'm hoping that this somehow makes a small change in my body and how sugar is metabolized, and that it will enable me to lose 2 lbs a week with my continued diet and exercise. I'm torn b/c I'm not one to turn to meds or a quick fix... espec when I've had bloodwork that seems to indicate that I do not have IR (Dr is going more on my physical issues, the fact that my GD was so severe, and teh fact that my fasting BS levles were slightly elevated. I'm hoping that this helps me lose weight, and that once I lose 30 more lbs of fat that my body will be producing less fat holding hormones and I can get off the met, continue my diet and exercise, adn lose a little/maintain on my own.

Anyway, I'm excited and nervous at teh same time.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1131 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Uh, Gigi, you've been at this with amazing tenacity for 11 months. Your gut has been telling you something is off for the better part of half a year. I can't speak to the specifics of this treatment, but it sounds like you know something isn't quite right. What are the consequences of trying this treatment? Would you have a way to evaluate after a fixed amount of time whether or not it's working?
#1132 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 PM

yes, I know. But I *do* still cheat on my diet. I try to fit it (like Halloween candy, choc cake that I've baked for dessert, high fat salad dressings, nuts and cheese) into my daily calories (1400 after working out, so 1400-2000 a day), but I have not eliminated sugar or reduced fat in my diet... so part of me feels like I actually have not tried *everything*.. but I am so afraid of telling myself that I CANNOT have a specific food.

anyway, thanks for the support , just giving a little more insight into how my mind's processing everything

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1133 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM

CathToria - I think it's reasonable to have a trial of metformin. I have seen it be very helpful for folks with IR, and helpful for weight loss when they have IR. However, I do NOT think you should expect to lose 2 lbs a week, unless you are going to do a starvation type diet. Healthy, sustainable weight loss is usually in the 1/2-1 lb a week range, sometimes even slower. Losing faster increases the risk of regaining and also makes it much more difficult to maintain healthy lifestyle changes, since the amount of caloric restriction you need is so much. To lose 2 lbs a week you need to take in 1000 less calories than you burn every day, which usually just isn't reasonable.

I'm at work. Give me strength to get through the rest of the day!
#1134 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
y but I am so afraid of telling myself that I CANNOT have a specific food.
I totally get that and I think it's unwise to completely cut out a specific food. That makes it the forbidden fruit and you start to get a little crazy about it, yk?
It sounds like it will be a good idea to try the meds and see what happens.

Is anybody else struggling to keep hydrated in cold weather? I am just too cold to drink and I don't really care for many hot drinks (unless laden with fat and/or sugar). I just so *dry* right now. Ugh.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#1135 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM

OK, I'll be happy with 1 lb a week, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1136 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Just quickly checking in before I go get kids.

Sparkletruck, I have been on Zoloft for a couple of years now. I had to up the dose a few times until I got it right (200mg). It is great because it fixes what isn't right and I don't feel any side effects. Recently I was struggling more so with energy, etc and have now added Wellbutrin. It has helped with my energy levels, but I still have some dips in mood. My therapist and I have come to the conclusion that I need the meds and running for optimal mood stabilization. For mood I should do 20 min pretty much every day, preferably in the morning.

Gotta jet.
#1137 of 1137 Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM

New thread is up!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page