Dingos turkey trot into november! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moonshine ~ you've given some great advice.

I am glad I voted last Thursday. Apparently the lines are NUTS already this morning.

sparkletruck ~ I hope your DD is feeling better. Sorry you didn't get your spin class in.

We have a day off from school today (Indiana has holidays for election day 2x a year ) so I've got all three kids, plus a friend of DD1 coming over today. And I'm sure DS will have a friend or two over as well.

Oh, and I wanted to share our Halloween costumes . One bear in princess shoes, one soccer player, one dog .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 PM

I swam
I biked
I voted

Long line at the polling place at 7 AM, so I went back at 9 and it only took about 10 minutes total. Last election I was in line for more than an hour.

poppy, I was looking quickly for an anatomy picture of the ankle, but couldn't find a good one with all the tendons labeled. For me, it was really helpful for the chiro to show me the precise tendon (peroneal) that seems to be the continuing problem. Symptoms made a lot more sense after that.

Have an appointment with the physiatrist today. Hopefully I'll get answers and a plan.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM

sparkletruck, thanks for the encouragement. I wasn't so worried about baby, because sometimes she's not happy even if the boobs are available. But when DH was crying, too, that really got to me. She's not great at taking a bottle, and he tried to give one to her, but she just wasn't interested. I will have him try the sling next time.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
C25K day one finished. It was great--I felt really good. But I don't know if I'll be able to do it again soon. When I left, DH dismissed my mother-hen hovering and last-minute instructions and was confident that he could handle anything with Baby Cupcake. When I came home an hour and four minutes later, they were both in tears. She had been inconsolable for at least half an hour, and it upset DH terribly. I feel really bad about it. Please, someone tell me it will get better.
DH CAN handle anything with Baby Cupcake. He needs some tools -- sling, stroller, whatever works for him. He didn't come equipped with boobs, so he's got to look elsewhere. Try the sling, try a swing, try inside, try outside. Dh can talk to baby, etc. IN a nutshell start bottle feeding before she's totally worked up (or maybe she doesn't need to eat). My own dd2 spent the first 4 months of her life in the pouch sling with me at work. Then that stopped working (i.e. I couldn't get anything done and my boss gently suggested she stop coming so I could actually work). So...dd2 stayed home with dh. She screamed her head off for about 4-5 weeks of bottles while I was working. (she didn't scream the entire time I was working but was very very unahppy about taking a bottle and probably only drank 1-2 ounces that entire time). I donated 60 ounces of milk and *that very day* she took a bottle. Coincidentally it was the very same day he tried the sling for the first time ever.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Just popping in quick to say I'm 26 weeks and Sprout thinks you should vote. :

Will be back later after cleaning up the house and casting my ballot.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Just voted.

On the way home, DD and her friend were running up ahead (not even that far away from us) and were waiting for us to cross the street. A woman came up and asked them where their mother was. I guess it is good that people are concerned, but somehow I was irked all the same.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Dh is coming home to watch the kids while I vote. The line is 2 hours and I'm not going to deal with that and two kids!
I have got to get a grip. I just think it's everything at once. Mostly it's my Dad being so sick and not knowing what it is.
Running some more! Lifting weights too. Cleaning house. Need to go on a vacation!

I taught this ESOL class when dd was a baby. Dh said she cried alot, but he held her and she also liked looking in the mirror. She did not like bottles. It would have been nice if I had started pumping earlier.

RM..glad it went well for y'all.

sparkletruck..those kind of nights are so exhausting! You get somse rest.

CT...a new baby! How awesome is that!!!

The scrubs!! They are dirty! My mom was a trauma nurse for years. Gross and tragic all the time. By the time we got our drivers liscense she was absolutly terrified because of all the accidents she'd seen. She burned out of that after 10 years and went to outpatient surgery. All technical and hardly ever any tragedy.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Hmmm, so maybe the next time I have surgery, I should ask everyone to please put on a fresh set of scrubs... I guess they gown up over scrubs but still... we have the smoking area across the street from our hospital too (someone very smart opened up a hot dog cart out there ).

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
we have the smoking area across the street from our hospital too (someone very smart opened up a hot dog cart out there ).
Brilliant!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Hmmm, so maybe the next time I have surgery, I should ask everyone to please put on a fresh set of scrubs... I guess they gown up over scrubs but still... we have the smoking area across the street from our hospital too (someone very smart opened up a hot dog cart out there ).
Same thing here. Those in charge of providing our world-class health care are seen every day at noon to be across the street, smoking, eating hot dogs and drinking coke.

Speaking of healthy...
Free coffee at Starbuck (at least here in OH) once you've voted.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 PM

My plan is to go vote after G wakes up from his nap and gets his next nursing session in. DH is an election officer for about the 3rd-4th year in a row, which means he left this morning at about 4:30 and won't be home until 8:30 or 9 if everything goes well. : MIL is here helping me with the kids and right now DD is at my parents' house. It's all going surprisingly well (DS tends to scream with anyone other than me or DH).

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-04-2008, 03:49 PM

HomeBirthMommy, I hope all works out well for your husband's job. Being the only expert sounds like security to me. :

eksmom, I'd commiserate on the 5 yo with selective hearing but I would start to sound like a bad parent - 10 yo dd upset with me much of the time, 5 yo dd with selective hearing, very independent 3 yo, adorably snuggly baby that doesn't require the volume knob as Geofizz called it. I love all my children but some are easier to spend time with. They do all have good qualities, some days I just have look far below the surface to find them. kerc's list might be a good idea for me to try somedays; sharing the list might help me and dd. As to listening I gently hold her chin after a caress of the cheek so that she is looking at me while I speak if it is an issue. the loving gesture combined with eye contact seems to help. This does however require a free hand. calicocj, still try to put my bolting 3 yo in the double stroller. Even though she can undo the buckles it slows her down giving me enough time to react. When she is out I ask her to stay close enough to hold the stroller or my hand. Not perfect.

RunningMommy, for dh being willing to talk and work on the relationship.
Cathtoria, it sounds like a good appointment, : for you : for new babies in the family!
Jenlove, can you share more details? How are your cheerleaders? What did they do? Any good excuses?
Nickarolaberry, That is a big first week! How is this week coming along? :
mamabeth, she is running with a broken elbow? How did I miss this? The rubbing and uneven weight - I wonder how odd it will feel when the cast comes off?
tjsmama, for you that there is less hauling of toddlers in and out of carseats and meetings and such. That would make my day.
poppywise, how is your ankle today?
: grmmtnmama at your nighttime confusion
Happy anniversary cornflake girl and dp!
Mommabelle, :

vegancupcake, my little guy is just 14 months and I feel so guilty when I get home from running and he is awake. He is usually not fussy though he does require me to hold him w/o and before doing anything else for about 10 minutes. Dh says he doesn't mind but he handles nighttime for all the other kids because I crash. My guilt is that dh has to get up and then handle morning with the others as I sit. This is my long way saying that it will get better. Either your little girl or your dh or both will learn to cope better and everyone will be less upset. Dh sits in a chair, under a blanket and hums until they are both calm. Mr Cupcake :giggle will find what works for him and baby cupcake. He is half the parenting team, IME you can give ideas but he will have to try them out on his own.

moonshine, I think voting bought out all the old biddies because 5 yo dd caught flak for riding ahead of me (on the sidewalk) on the way home from voting today too.

on the scrubs. My mom, a nurse (for a while), always wore at least a lab coat so she could take it off, change her shoes and leave some of the grossness at work. I guess I had a pretty bad staph infection as a baby from chewing on her shoes before she adopted these habits.

I tried to look at photos but my really old computer is not cooperating today.

I am home from voting which took over an hour but I only had the 3 youngest with me so it was an easy-peasy wait. , I ran a hard 3 miles on the treadmill this morning. I hate that. Why is running so easy one day and then so hard 48 hours later? I got up, put clothes on, ponied my hair, grabbed a banana that I ate as I got my bike out, rode less than .75 miles to the health club and just felt like lead. I did increase the weight on squats and lunges yesterday but just a tiny bit. It felt like the food/sugar didn't make it to my legs on time. I hope it is better next time.

I hope my personals aren't too personal, I am just jumping in and making myself comfortable.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
The scrubs!! They are dirty! My mom was a trauma nurse for years. Gross and tragic all the time. By the time we got our drivers liscense she was absolutly terrified because of all the accidents she'd seen. She burned out of that after 10 years and went to outpatient surgery. All technical and hardly ever any tragedy.
Seriously, Dh is an emergency room doc, so my kids get; no gum, no bunk-beds, helmets for everything (I think he'd just as soon have them wear helmets all the time ) ...

Dont want to spread the neurosis, but hospitals are the germiest places around. We practically scrub out when we get home from every appt.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 PM

mommajb - have you tried caffeine? Do you do caffeine? I know it helps with the release of glycogen but I cant remember how; more endurance or more power or a little of both? Maybe you could try a sip with your banana? Im not a caffeine advocate - been off for 2 years - but I used to love my coffee before a run

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Jenlove, can you share more details? How are your cheerleaders? What did they do? Any good excuses?
Well.. I'll try to make it brief. Friday we had our fundraiser dance with a bake sale, and during the day at school another teacher had done a middle school party. She had told the girls they were welcome to the treats left out on a table, but I guess they misunderstood and went into her room and took things she had saved for another event. Which I was completely oblivious of.. it's hard not working in the school all day and hearing this stuff first hand. I just assumed the teacher said we could have it, so I let them take it. The teacher was not mad at me, but at them since she had told them what to take/not take. Now since the dance was so busy, I can't for the life of me remember who was in there taking the goods, but no one will fess up. I had a talk about doing the right thing, and I know they are good kids and there was confusion and it's okay to say, "It was me. I am really sorry I messed up." And it would probably be done there. I walked away and told them if they had something to share they could do so personally with me. Still NOTHING. I may have to tell them they will all be punished unless someone comes forward. I hate to do it because i know a handful of girls weren't even at the dance when this took place, but what happened was wrong. They need to step forward and just say so. We made money off of stolen items for pete's sake. It makes me feel horrible, and I will be donating money from our fundraiser to the 6th grade class who needs to replace those items.

I voted. There wasn't really a wait, but for our small town I was about the 1000th to vote. That's pretty good for 11am around here.

Some of you may have skipped my photo before thinking I was linking to something political. I swear it's just a belly bump picture in honor of election day.. no swaying the vote here.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:30 PM

JenLove, I clicked on your vote link, and it is adorable!!!

I made me kickbox class. My MIL picked up my nephew so I could go.

MB, you know my SIL, she was in your Bradley class with J, right? ANyway, she had a rough 1st pregnancy and delivery, general anisthesia C after a 5 day induction and finally dilating to 10, then her blood stuff went through the roof. Preclampsia, 2 week stay in the hospital for baby and mom, etc etc etc.

She was 38+ weeks, had a baby girl at 1:30am, unmedicated VBAC. For you Atl gals, she was with Tate (she changed health insc just to birth with him), and he was super supportive her her VBAC. Mom and baby are fine. I'm so excited that she got her VBAC, as it was a real uphill battle for her and something that she really wanted.

RE: leaving babies with Dad. We did it, but it was always hard on my dh and baby. Walking outside, etc was helpful. By the time we had the 3rd, we both just decided that my leaving the baby awake was just more trouble than it was worth. So I stayed pretty much attached to her for the 1st 6-12 months. Obviously I didn't have work or school to deal with... But that time was so short, so I just brought her along, or didn't leave until she was asleep and then stayed 5 min away by cell phone call, or just stayed home. I have no regrets, as I "got" my time back later when she was developmentally ready to seperate. And looking back, the times that I did leave baby with dad was overrated and usually not worth it anyway. JMO in case it helps

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Speaking of healthy...
Free coffee at Starbuck (at least here in OH) once you've voted.
There's also free Krispy Kreme and free Ben & Jerry's from 5-8pm. I'm ashamed that I know this. :

We went to the zoo today with my SIL and neice (2 years old). We had a great time, but we're exhausted. The zoo was crazy busy since all of the schools are out today and it's gorgeous weather.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM

I just voted, took 5 minutes, probably since I went in the middle of the afternoon. Now I'm off to run, then maybe nap since it's probably going to be a late night!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
I just voted, took 5 minutes, probably since I went in the middle of the afternoon. Now I'm off to run, then maybe nap since it's probably going to be a late night!
I took a nap and then I took the dog for a walk. It was too beautiful to stay inside before the sun went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
There's also free Krispy Kreme and free Ben & Jerry's from 5-8pm. I'm ashamed that I know this. :
I'd be there if there was one close by.. but there's not. Probably a good thing for me.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 PM

HBM...Why did you have to tell us!!!?? YUMMO!

It took me about 30-40 min to vote. Only 7 machines there.

Going to a watch the votes come in with good friends tonight! We really should have school off tomorrow too! How can we get up after staying up so late?

I've figured out that I'm not getting enough hydration in lately while working out. Had more water today during exercise and felt much better. I think it's cooler weather, so I'm not drinking as much as in summertime.

CT..I look forward to getting back to gym classes again one day! I used to be a total gym rat! Keep it up and enjoy being fit!!! Right now, I've got the treadmill and weights in the basement. It works and like the convenience, but I do miss the gym.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM

poppy~It's probably not tarsal tunnel. That's the foot/ankle equivalent of carpal tunnel, so you would have neuro symptoms like burning/numbness/tingling. It sounds like it could be the posterior tib tendon. It could just be tendinitis, or sometimes the tissue that holds the tendon down can get torn/degenerate and you do get some actual snapping with movement. I don't know that in your situation rest will do much, since you're just getting started. You could try to take a few days to a week or so and see if it helps, but I would also start looking into other options. Do you have orthotics? I might try to find a good podiatrist or orthopedist who specializes in foot/ankle. Now's the time to get this fixed, while you still have time before serious mary training starts up. Orthotics might be enough to clear it up, or a round of PT. HTH a little, I'm feeling a little scattered right now, so who knows how clear it actually was...

Had some other personals, but as I mentioned, scattered at the moment...

Anyone have any experience with fake-ish coughing from a toddler? I swear DS is kind of faking it! He will cough his head off, but as long as he's distracted/busy, he doesn't cough a bit. He didn't cough a single time while we were at tumbling class this morning, but as soon as we got in the car, he was hacking up a storm. Some of the coughs sound real, but others sound distinctively fake. It's weird...

I drove by three polling places on our way home from tumbling class, and I didn't see any outside lines, so that's a good thing! Still glad I voted by mail last week, though!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM

ran a quick 30 minutes on the trail today. it's freakishly warm, so how could i pass up the opportunity to get outside? got my new HRM working. it's a PC-15 from Sigma. I got it so that the band would work with my bike computers as well, the watch bit isn't that great on it's own. but i got it working today and it kept me honest in keeping in my target zones which is what i want.

i voted before my trip two weeks ago. just in case i was delayed and couldn't be home in time.

tonight, have to clean for the cleaners
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM

vegancupcake, I meant to send you a big I had to start back to my lab work/research part time soon after DD was born, and so she stayed home w/ DH for a few hours each day. The first few times were rough on all of us but they developed their own routines and comfort systems that worked for DH and her and they have a really special bond now that I think stems from her time with him when she was little.

HBM, I meant to send you a big too, I know it must be stressful about your DH's job, and I hope everything works out!

Of all things, I have jury duty tomorrow : so I am really feeling guilty in advance for staying up late (although not as late as east coast) to watch returns

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
vegancupcake, I meant to send you a big I had to start back to my lab work/research part time soon after DD was born, and so she stayed home w/ DH for a few hours each day. The first few times were rough on all of us but they developed their own routines and comfort systems that worked for DH and her and they have a really special bond now that I think stems from her time with him when she was little.

:

I went back to school parttime when DD1 was 4 months old. I think that the evenings (when I was in school) were initially hard, but dad and she worked it out. Only comparing it to our experience with DD2, who did not get that same one-on-one with Dh, them having the time was really helpful to their bond.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
:

I went back to school parttime when DD1 was 4 months old. I think that the evenings (when I was in school) were initially hard, but dad and she worked it out. Only comparing it to our experience with DD2, who did not get that same one-on-one with Dh, them having the time was really helpful to their bond.
Thank you for this. Hopefully DH will be ready to get back on the horse tomorrow night so I can do day 2 of C25K.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
When I came home an hour and four minutes later, they were both in tears. She had been inconsolable for at least half an hour, and it upset DH terribly. I feel really bad about it. Please, someone tell me it will get better.
for each of you. I wish I had better experiences but I find that most of the time that I leave a baby with dh there is more crying than not when the baby's awake. It's frustrating for everyone and I always tend to feel like dh hasn't tried enough tricks (mainly because he usually parks in front of his computer and reads while baby wails away in his lap. That probably isn't fair but I do think he decided back with dd1 that he didn't have nip so there was nothing he could do. Anyway, it doesn't last forever.

I feel sort of uninvolved in my civic duty (and my coffee and doughnuts!) today since I mailed in my ballot about 2 weeks ago. But I'm game to stay up late and party if my guy wins!

I ran 3 today and it felt great. I was a teensy bit faster than the other day so that was reassuring too.

JayGee - Cute kids!

JenLove - LOVE the belly message!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 PM

rr~3 miles or so in the rain to get home after dropping my car off at the mechanic's. I stoopidly ran into a curb today and tore a hole in the undercarriage, causing all of my antifreeze to pour out. It doesn't look good financially. : I swear it's bad karma because I parked in the pastor's reserved parking spot so I could vote. :

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM

Oh, meant to add

DrJen - When you have time please add me to the race list for the San JUan Island Half Marathon on June 7 and the San Francisco Marathon on July 26! : No turning back now!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
mommajb - have you tried caffeine? Do you do caffeine? I know it helps with the release of glycogen but I cant remember how; more endurance or more power or a little of both? Maybe you could try a sip with your banana? Im not a caffeine advocate - been off for 2 years - but I used to love my coffee before a run
I am not opposed to caffeine, I just try to be reasonable and consume early in the day so this might work for me. (If I am not careful I will drink 3 pots of coffee all by myself while dh is at work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Some of you may have skipped my photo before thinking I was linking to something political. I swear it's just a belly bump picture in honor of election day.. no swaying the vote here.
It sounds like a tough call with the girls. As a mom of many I'll say I hate not knowing things when I have to do something about it especially.

cute belly shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Anyone have any experience with fake-ish coughing from a toddler? I swear DS is kind of faking it! He will cough his head off, but as long as he's distracted/busy, he doesn't cough a bit. He didn't cough a single time while we were at tumbling class this morning, but as soon as we got in the car, he was hacking up a storm. Some of the coughs sound real, but others sound distinctively fake. It's weird...
Is it a social cough/coughing for attention? It sounds familiar but I cannot remember the ages we experienced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
ran a quick 30 minutes on the trail today. it's freakishly warm, so how could i pass up the opportunity to get outside? got my new HRM working. it's a PC-15 from Sigma. I got it so that the band would work with my bike computers as well, the watch bit isn't that great on it's own. but i got it working today and it kept me honest in keeping in my target zones which is what i want.
All this HRM talk... I keep showing dh the garmin watch but I know that is not happening here.

After all my talk about leaving dh with the babies, the reality is my littlest has been left the most. He usually sleeps until about 8am after nursing just before 6. My goal is to be home by 7. The problem is he wakes because I am not there. I only started leaving him in July - he was 1 Sept 2. Dh copes much better now than he did the first time around. It is probably because he is more comfortable with babies and parenting now.

I am off to straighten the house and watch election results. I hated all the adverts and casual talk about it but results I can get into.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
rr~3 miles or so in the rain to get home after dropping my car off at the mechanic's. I stoopidly ran into a curb today and tore a hole in the undercarriage, causing all of my antifreeze to pour out. It doesn't look good financially. : I swear it's bad karma because I parked in the pastor's reserved parking spot so I could vote. :
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Oh, meant to add

DrJen - When you have time please add me to the race list for the San JUan Island Half Marathon on June 7 and the San Francisco Marathon on July 26! : No turning back now!
You Go!

User Tag List